PDA

View Full Version : Fox needs to L2Math

Rob Oplawar
October 6th, 2010, 08:18 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/67635/green-it-mean-it-showers

When I saw this, "incredulous" doesn't come close to describing my reaction. So I did some math. Feel free to follow along here.

Average outflow from a shower head in America is about 6.5 gallons per minute.
The average daily shower time is 10 minutes.
There are about 307 million people in the US.
1 gallon is about 0.0038 cubic meters
1 m^3 = 1*10^-9 km^3 (this is important... there are not 1 thousand cubic meters in a cubic kilometer, there are 1 billion)

(6.5 gal/min) * (0.0038 m^3 / gal) * (10 min) * (307,000,000 people) * (1 * 10^-9 km^3 / m^3) ~= .075 km^3
Daily water usage for showers in America is, assuming everybody showers once a day (which I highly doubt), less than a tenth of a cubic kilometer. And don't forget, that's the *whole* shower, not 2 minutes of the shower. The volume of water Fox is referring to is actually closer to one hundredth of a cubic kilometer.

The volume of the great lakes is 22,000 cubic kilometers. The annual outflow is around 1%, or 220 cubic kilometers, which works out to about 6/10 of a cubic kilometer per day.

Fox, I know your intentions are good, but at best you're off by an order of magnitude and at worst, depending on what you meant by "keep the great lakes filled", you're off by about 6 orders of magnitude.

And they're not referring to the difference between inflow and outflow, because if that were the case they'd recommend we take LONGER showers since the net change in the great lakes is POSITIVE.

People in this country need to fucking learn math.
It's embarrassing how stupid they are. :gonk:

Bodzilla
October 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM
FOX NEWS?

WRONG?

STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES

Rob Oplawar
October 6th, 2010, 09:09 PM
It's not Fox news, it's "fox" in general.

But I mean, this is a whole new level of wrong. This isn't like saying the majority of Americans oppose healthcare reform when the truth is it's more like 20% who oppose it and then some other number of people who think it doesn't go far enough. That's stretching and manipulating statistics. But this... this is fucking 3rd grade math that they miscalculated by 6 fucking zeroes. It's like if they said 150 trillion Americans oppose healthcare reform. They're not just wrong, they're so unbelievably wrong it's embarrassing to the human race that they were unable to see how wrong they were. If any one of the doubtless dozens of people who worked on this ad had a single neuron firing in their brain, they would have thought "hey wait a minute, this number is so hugely ridiculously completely off from anything based on reality that I should probably double-check my arithmetic and see that I forgot to divide by ONE MILLION."

Ugh, I'm trying really hard to make them seem more wrong than usual, but it's true that just about everything Fox does is so wrong it's embarrassing to the human race. Fuck.

Timo
October 6th, 2010, 09:52 PM
It's like $0.02 = 0.02c on a whole other level :derp:

BobtheGreatII
October 7th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Lol. Awesome catch.

Dwood
October 7th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Wait. Fox, the most Conservative station on the whole of the planet on television, is telling us to go green? You're kidding me right?

Bodzilla
October 7th, 2010, 03:06 AM
LOL THATS WHAT YOU SAW IN THIS?

wow.

Dwood
October 7th, 2010, 04:59 AM
LOL THATS WHAT YOU SAW IN THIS?

wow.

I kno rite?

king_nothing_
October 7th, 2010, 05:33 AM
FOX NEWS?

WRONG?

STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES

Wait. Fox, the most Conservative station on the whole of the planet on television, is telling us to go green? You're kidding me right?
This is not Fox News, it's just Fox. Do you know how many channels Fox has? As far as I know, their non-news channels don't have a conservative agenda.

Fox needs to L2Math
If you watch carefully about 3 or 4 seconds into the video in the lower left portion of it, you'll see it says "Source: The Green Book". Fox didn't write it, they got it from a book. Here's a link to the exact page. (http://books.google.com/books?id=qfiZeaW6RCYC&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=the+green+book+great+lakes+shower&source=bl&ots=0u8MTMuQ_c&sig=WzxcrccZWjq7Ijar_kqLH-dcMxY&hl=en&ei=r5utTOKIGozanAf_7OjtBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false) It seems they did misquote it, though.

Dwood
October 7th, 2010, 05:48 AM
You got me, King_Nothing bro. I'd +rep you but alas I cannot rep any longer.

Rob Oplawar
October 7th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Ah, good call pulling up the reference, king nothing. The reference says it right, and yes, the commercial misquotes it horribly, although now I can see how an ordinary stupid person could make that mistake (as opposed to an overwhelmingly braindead person). Referring back to my above calculations, yeah, 10 gallons of water from every American each day for 365 days roughly equals the daily outflow of the great lakes. Not "enough water to keep the great lakes completely filled each and every day". Once again, you're off by orders of magnitude.

Perhaps the reason I am so indignant is because water conservation is a cause I support and I really hate to have idiots on my side making me look bad.

e: I wish rep wasn't disabled. this guy deserves it.

paladin
October 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Meh, its better than this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTknP8t7JU)

dydo
October 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Meh, its better than this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTknP8t7JU)
How could they even air this? -__-

Rob Oplawar
October 7th, 2010, 10:30 PM
iirc it was immediately banned. Apparently there's some humor in it, but even I find it tasteless, and I'm from the internet. It definitely has that "absurdity" humor to it, but it really doesn't make a strong case for itself. "I'm going to make an extremely graphic joke about killing my opponents in the most gruesome manner possible." It works for 4chan, but it is decidedly unbecoming of any group that considers itself respectable.

Dwood
October 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM
iirc it was immediately banned. Apparently there's some humor in it, but even I find it tasteless, and I'm from the internet. It definitely has that "absurdity" humor to it, but it really doesn't make a strong case for itself. "I'm going to make an extremely graphic joke about killing my opponents in the most gruesome manner possible." It works for 4chan, but it is decidedly unbecoming of any group that considers itself respectable.

Even on XKCD the landmass of 4chan is phallic.

paladin
October 7th, 2010, 11:49 PM
How could they even air this? -__-

It was taken off air shortly after it's release. The group apologize for it saying

Sorry. Today we put up a mini-movie about 10:10 and climate change called ‘No Pressure’. With climate change becoming increasingly threatening, and decreasingly talked about in the media, we wanted to find a way to bring this critical issue back into the headlines whilst making people laugh... Many people found the resulting film extremely funny, but unfortunately some didn’t and we sincerely apologise to anybody we have offended. As a result of these concerns we’ve taken it off our website.

Guys, im going to explode because of my views on climate change. help...

TeeKup
October 8th, 2010, 06:47 AM
.....What...the fuck..

Kornman00
October 9th, 2010, 07:44 PM
After watching the entire video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4yr0FFhMQ) (fox thought the rest was more gruesome than the exploding children? ok...), I have to say I chuckled.

However, whenever such media is used to try and drive a point, or rather a point of view, it's then it becomes absurd. Media executed (pardon the pun) in this was works in video games (HIYOOOO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK4SJHK6eXE)!) and other contexts as they're just for humor. They're not there to try and presude you to think, or vote, or even live a certain way.

So, the full video itself was humorous...but the point they're trying to make really shows that they're not taking shit cereal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05YfP_8UsU).

Dwood
October 11th, 2010, 01:49 AM
It was meant to be humorous however, I did not find it funny... at all. I found it disturbing and counterproductive.

CN3089
October 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
heh (http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/communityofinterest/archive/2010/10/06/fox-news-north-not-savour-the-victory.aspx)

Can we set up a coalition and kick the Conservatives out now Iggy thanks in advance :maddowns:

Alright you can go back to discussing your silly far-right Ameripolitics now :allears:

Bodzilla
October 15th, 2010, 06:09 AM
this thread is missing ann COULTER WHERE IS SHE????

paladin
October 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
you do know that theres a big difference between Fox and Fox News....

CN3089
October 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Next you will say that there's a difference between NBC and MSNBC http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/Emoticons/mmmhmm.gif

paladin
October 16th, 2010, 02:53 AM
There is