PDA

View Full Version : Facebook "I like it on...." trend

ChemicalFizz
October 6th, 2010, 11:35 PM
What do you think of it? If you still haven't discovered (I found out because my News Feed was raped with these and I just HAD to google to see if these women really did start getting frisky):

http://www.urlesque.com/2010/10/06/facebook-i-like-it-statuses-explained/?icid=main|aim|dl10|sec1_lnk3|175807 (http://www.urlesque.com/2010/10/06/facebook-i-like-it-statuses-explained/?icid=main%7Caim%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk3%7C175807)

Basically a follow-up to last year's Breast Cancer Awareness (October) meme, when they'd post their bra color as statuses. If you still don't get it, it's not suggestive; it's referring to where these women like to hang their handbags at home. Sorry guys.

To be blunt, it's a little too "girl power!" for me. And it's just too bad, y'know, that telling us where you like your handbags won't cure breast cancer. I also see little relevance between women's fashion, female empowerment, and breast cancer. It just doesn't seem tact enough to REALLY do good for actual breast cancer patients. But then again, I'm not a woman, I will probably never understand their motivations behind this, and I was always apathetic towards "increase awareness/support" ads (iPod with the red nano, Desi(RED) and Inspi(RED) t-shirts by the GAP for AIDS support. Ok, I take that back, the RED campaign did much more to contribute to the Global Fund to increase AIDS awareness than some of the other campaigns out there).

Edit: Well actually, it's not there to cater to breast cancer sufferers but rather to increase awareness. But still.

Aerowyn
October 7th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Where I drop my purse at the end of the day has nothing to do with breast cancer. It's irrelevant. And me posting a double entendre on facebook is not going to cure cancer or enlighten people about Breast Cancer Awareness Month. They're just going to think I'm a slut.

At least last year's "post what color your bra is" status updates were involving breasts...

AAA
October 7th, 2010, 04:28 PM
But, don't you see how this empowers women?....
... Yeah, I can't think of or pull anything off with that one... it just doesn't.

Well, it says at the end of the article no one at the foundation admitted to starting it, so either someone's lying or someone's doing it out of idiocrasy.

... Meh.

Sever
October 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Agreed, this has no correlation to the issue it is attempting to raise awareness about.

Anyways, I like it on the shelf in Dustbowl's spawn room

ThePlague
October 8th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I only have one person doing it on my facebook, and I lol'd when I saw it because the person is like 40 something.

Cojafoji
October 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM
The only reason there's so much hype about titty cancer is that it's a booming business. You see all those pink shirts/hats/sports jerseys/food products/colored buildings? People make MILLIONS off of it.

Kornman00
October 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
At least last year's "post what color your bra is" status updates were involving breasts...
What's in your wallet bra?!

They need to hire a better awareness program manager.

Llama Juice
October 8th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I need to post about where I put my socks for colon cancer awareness.

Timo
October 9th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I'm going to PM all my guy mates on FB to start posting "I like it in her X". All they're doing is making themselves look like sluts, since most people don't know WTF they're going on about.

Llama Juice
October 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Timo, it's getting up to Halloween, they all WANT to look like sluts around this time of year.

STLRamsFan
October 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM
The bra color, I get that. The "I like it on...." for purses makes zero sense in regards to breast cancer. I mean heck, a bra size would make more sense than that. :|

leorimolo
October 9th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I went on with the trend put on "I like it with 2 girls and cups"

Bodzilla
October 10th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Guy's we're talking about it.

thats a success if i ever saw one.
it's like "so where the bloody hell are you??" on another level.

Corndogman
October 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Aye, I agree this is pretty much pointless. I'm already quite aware of the fact that breast cancer exists, as I'm sure pretty much everyone is. This campaign, however, does nothing to encourage me to support the cause.

ChemicalFizz
October 13th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Maybe someone should start an anti-fad campaign. Hah.

ICEE
October 14th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Maybe someone should start an anti-fad campaign. Hah.

I can see that getting really popular!