PDA

View Full Version : Reach Target Locator, anyone?

flyingmonkey3
October 17th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I was actually working on something like this before Halo Reach came out with its Target Locator, so I decided to try my hand at recreating the Target Locator for Halo CE. Unfortunately, I don't know how to model, skin, animate, etc, so I was only able to do so much. If anyone would like to contribute, please feel free to.

Video:
http://www.xfire.com/video/38cc52/

Currently there are a few issues that I am having problems with aside from the lack of a proper model and effects.
- The grenade throw animation doesn't play when the Target Locator is overheated.
- There is some weird syncing problem when playing online wherein twice as many missiles are created but only half of them are real.

Sorry if this is actually really bad. I only recently learned to work HEK.

sleepy1212
October 18th, 2010, 07:55 AM
you should try the actual model, dont be scared :)

SnaFuBAR
October 18th, 2010, 10:38 AM
ask penguin how he tagged the one for our map, ambush. granted, it was a single projectile, but he might have an answer for you.

Hunter
October 18th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Ask Tucker (http://tucker412.deviantart.com/art/Halo-Reach-Target-Locator-178571908) for the model.

ODX
October 18th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Currently there are a few issues that I am having problems with aside from the lack of a proper model and effects.
- The grenade throw animation doesn't play when the Target Locator is overheated.
- There is some weird syncing problem when playing online wherein twice as many missiles are created but only half of them are real.You need a "first-person throw-overheated" animation, as it's a completely different animation for when the gun is overheated because normally (ie: plasma rifle/pistol) the gun is in a different spot and can't just use the regular throw-grenade animation without looking weird so Bungie implemented throw-overheated.
In terms of syncing, spawning things online always tends to create doubles for clients. There's not really a way to fix this.

ICEE
October 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM
If you obtain a model, I will create animations for you.

flyingmonkey3
October 18th, 2010, 11:19 PM
This is a little off track from the Target Locator, but I just did it because I could. Now that I have it out of the way, I'll focus back on finalizing the Target Locator.

http://www.xfire.com/video/38ddd7/

FRain
October 19th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Didn't CAD do one like that, way back when?

Dwood
October 19th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Didn't CAD do one like that, way back when?

Same concept but his didn't have a Longsword flying overhead.

sleepy1212
October 19th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Ask Tucker (http://tucker412.deviantart.com/art/Halo-Reach-Target-Locator-178571908) for the model.

If you obtain a model, I will create animations for you.

hmm

Skarma
October 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Why is it called a Target Locator? Looks like a stealth bomber dropping a carpet bomb aka an air strike. (Keep in mind I don't have Halo Reach.)

Limited
October 19th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Why is it called a Target Locator? Looks like a stealth bomber dropping a carpet bomb aka an air strike. (Keep in mind I don't have Halo Reach.)
Because you set the location of the targets, when you shoot the ground. They couldnt really use airstrike, because CoD is known for airstrikes and stuff.

supersniper
October 19th, 2010, 12:10 PM
lol i'm sure he doesn't care aboout silly names right now. main focus, gettin the model and animations down.

Skarma
October 19th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Airstrike is the correct and generic name for an......airstrike and is called that by military, not just call of duty and all the other games that use it. Thanks for the explanation. Also I like the carpet bombing a lot =D there should be lots more missles!!!!!

Kornman00
October 20th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Actually it's a "Laser Designated Airstrike". The laser "paints" the target area (either statically or dynamically to a object, ie an elite) you wish to have BLOWN THE FUCK TO HELL AND BACK THEN BACK TO HELL AGAIN JUST FOR GOOD MEASURE. blam. If you recall the live action film used in promotion of Halo 3, they had a similar device (in that it designates an object for tracking, in the film it was the size of a spartan laser) to locate&track S117 as he was sky diving without a parachute down to the Earth's surface.

Since the device is only part of the equation, it's referred to as the "target locator" as that's what it functions as in the grand scheme of the LDA.

Anymore missiles and the FPS would move like pond water :P

[/technicalities]

Dwood
October 20th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Well someone should grab the place where that bullets hit and call down the airstrike from that spot. That way he's not operating at a fixed distance.

flyingmonkey3
October 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Well someone should grab the place where that bullets hit and call down the airstrike from that spot. That way he's not operating at a fixed distance.

The airstrike does in fact come down where you are aiming at.

Yet another video for proof:
http://www.xfire.com/video/38f5c4/

staticchanger
October 20th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Kingfish did a something similar,
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3951

Con
October 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM
If you wanted a target to be a static area or a dynamic area like a vehicle, couldn't you have the weapon shoot out an invisible projectile that's sticky like a plasma grenade, give it a longer delay, then have its detonation effect look like an air strike?

flyingmonkey3
October 20th, 2010, 05:14 PM
If you wanted a target to be a static area or a dynamic area like a vehicle, couldn't you have the weapon shoot out an invisible projectile that's sticky like a plasma grenade, give it a longer delay, then have its detonation effect look like an air strike?

Yea you're pretty much spot on for how I did it.

CodeBrain
October 20th, 2010, 11:07 PM
How did you make the projectiles spawn?

Donut
October 21st, 2010, 05:21 PM
probably a .effect with an offset up in the sky. what i want to know is how you got the longsword to fly by overhead. THAT was cool :iamafag:

=sw=warlord
October 22nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
probably a .effect with an offset up in the sky. what i want to know is how you got the longsword to fly by overhead. THAT was cool :iamafag:

Create a effect offset in the sky and set the projectiles model as a longsword.

flyingmonkey3
October 27th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Just a little update with some progress. While there is only a slight cosmetic change, I've actually overhauled the internal workings of the Target Locator. In the process of doing so I also gave it the ability to lock onto targets. Needless to say the target must be tagged in order for it to be tracked.

http://www.xfire.com/video/398c68/

Stuff that still needs to be done:
1. The ring thing that appears.
2. Cosmetic changes (colors, etc).
3. Model and animations (I've asked Tucker and he is willing to let me use his model once he's done with it).

flyingmonkey3
February 18th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Double post, but this is just a little update.

The duplicate objects problem has been solved and the weapon is coming along. Tucker disappeared on me but I have since found someone else willing to work on the model and animations. I'm not going to make the visuals look like the Reach version mainly because I'm not really an effects guy. If someone better versed in this field would like to do it, feel free too. You will be added to the credits. Otherwise, expect a release sometime soon.

TeeKup
February 18th, 2011, 10:27 PM
This is a little off track from the Target Locator, but I just did it because I could. Now that I have it out of the way, I'll focus back on finalizing the Target Locator.

http://www.xfire.com/video/38ddd7/

My god, you've given Halo CE air strikes.

Cortexian
February 18th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Would be nice if you could randomize or specify the direction of the airstrike.

TeeKup
February 18th, 2011, 10:53 PM
If he finalized the Longsword variant of this, the Longsword should move in slowly, similar to the Stealth Bomber from Modern Warfare 2. Calling in a Stealth Bomber and killing like 4 people with it always made me feel like a God. I quoted the Bhagavad Gita in one match and some guy called me a cunt. lol....

Amit
February 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I quoted the Bhagavad Gita in one match and some guy called me a cunt. lol....

lol in what? Hindi or English translation?

TeeKup
February 19th, 2011, 01:33 AM
English, I essentially pulled an Oppenheimer, I.E. my signature.

Amit
February 19th, 2011, 02:31 AM
That's rape. I would shit myself should I have heard that.

flyingmonkey3
February 19th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Well I've diverted myself from finalizing the proper version with yet another variant. The current beam is obviously a placeholder.

http://www.xfire.com/video/416eae/

SnaFuBAR
February 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM
needs a covie style designator.

flyingmonkey3
February 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM
That model was the model for the original Target Locator. I'm not sure if the person doing the models would be willing to make a different one for this version, but I could try making a different skin for it.

sevlag
February 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM
i thought we had a TL already in CE? i remember perusing the weapon tags and seeing a shoddly done TL

anyways a covie version should call down a "cleansing beam" sorta like halowars