PDA

View Full Version : Issues with 64 bit version of vista and 4 gigs of ram

legionaire45
May 5th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Fucking lovely. I installed the 64 bit version of vista so I could use my 4 gigs of ram, not have to take one out. I have tested all 4 dimms, they all work on their own and up to 3 gigs yet Vista simply crashes as soon as it tries to load any files on boot with 4 gigs installed. My board supports up to 8 gigs of ram, so thats not the issue. The modules use 1.8 volts and I have tried it at that setting all the way up until 2.1 with no luck. As soon as I try to reinstall Vista and it begins copying the stuff it needs before installing it BSODs. I have reset the BIOS about 15 times now. Once again, I have the 64 bit version of this software. Anyone have a clue as to why it isn't working? I have the latest BIOS for my Gigabyte DS3. I really don't want to have to return the ram or the board...

jcap
May 5th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Run Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) to check that the DIMMs aren't damaged. If you receive any write errors, RTM it if it is still under warranty.

legionaire45
May 5th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I already tried that, my motherboard is refusing to boot off of the disk. Im going to burn a new disk I guess.

Edit: Son of a bitch still isn't reading it. Still lets me boot off of the Vista install disk.

TPE
May 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM
is your memory DDR2? is your CPU 64 bit?

need computer specs

legionaire45
May 5th, 2007, 08:42 PM
is your memory DDR2? is your CPU 64 bit?

need computer specs
there is a button next to my user name that will give you the specs (looks like a comp).

im using a C2D and DDR2.

Atty
May 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Did you get Vista installed?

What I mean is, did you get as far as Vista installing before encountering these problems?

Edit: Doesn't 64bit just enable you to use up to 128GB of ram? I'm pretty sure all versions of Vista can use up to 4GB, with Ultimate using the most.

Try dropping your OC (I know, its hard :() and then setting the ram from 800 to 677, then try.

legionaire45
May 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Did you get Vista installed?

What I mean is, did you get as far as Vista installing before encountering these problems?

Edit: Doesn't 64bit just enable you to use up to 128GB of ram? I'm pretty sure all versions of Vista can use up to 4GB, with Ultimate using the most.
Vista x64 is installed already. Vista boots fine when I try it with 3 gigs and below but when I throw the seemingly magical 4th stick in (I've tried multiple different sticks as the 4th, they all seem to work fine on their own and Memtest hasn't errored out yet 15 minutes in with all 4 in). I'm not sure this is as much of a memory issue as it is a Vista issue =/.

All versions of Vista except for Ultimate only come with an install disk for the x86 version of Vista, you can order the install disk of the x64 version of Vista you need for $10-20 from Microsoft. My retail copy of Ultimate came with the disk included. Just M$ trying to milk you out of more money.

edit: OC is off, still does it. I'll try 677 in 5 minutes.

Atty
May 5th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Try dropping your OC (I know, its hard :() and then setting the ram from 800 to 677, then try.

Edit: You aren't alone, there are numerous other people having problems with the same thing (64/4GB)

legionaire45
May 5th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Edit: You aren't alone, there are numerous other people having problems with the same thing (64/4GB)

Lovely, im a statistic now -___-.

I'm thinking about going back to XP now. There is no way in hell I'm parting with a gig of ram.

edit: I just realized something: I dont have XP x64 -______-. Someone want to pass me a glock.

Ubuntu time then.

legionaire45
May 5th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Meh, looks like I need the piece of shit for something (forgot to save homework as a Office 2003 file and now I can't open it in anything to print it xD). I don't know what I should do in the long run =/. I need to use some stuff off of it but Vista was starting to act horrifically slow on my old ram. I don't want to return this stuff though since it works perfectly fine aside from Microsoft's fuck-up. Ubuntu is taking a few years to download (with DownThemAll its downloading a 700 mB file at 15 kB/s) so I'm just going to leave that overnight. I'll look around the net and see if I can find a fix of some kind.

mR_r0b0to
May 6th, 2007, 03:11 AM
your motherboard might be broken. check all the DIMMs and ALL the memory slots.

legionaire45
May 6th, 2007, 03:42 PM
your motherboard might be broken. check all the DIMMs and ALL the memory slots.
I just did that today and it all works, the board itself seems fine but the North bridge heatsink felt really really hot. not sure if that is how all G965 chipset based motherboards are but I'm going to go get a better north bridge heatsink later and see if it helps.

I need an excuse to get a 680i based board -__-.