PDA

View Full Version : Cure for the common cold at last, Employers rejoice.

=sw=warlord
November 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Quoted from the independent: (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/a-cure-for-the-common-cold-may-finally-be-achieved-as-a-result-of-a-remarkable-discovery-in-a-cambridge-laboratory-2122607.html)

In a dramatic breakthrough that could affect millions of lives, scientists have been able to show for the first time that the body's immune defences can destroy the common cold virus after it has actually invaded the inner sanctum of a human cell, a feat that was believed until now to be impossible.
That's not all, the best part of this news is yet to come.
According to their theory, this could in fact also attack other more serious diseases such as HIV and Cancer.

Cojafoji
November 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
just accelerating natural selection. newer defenses means newer offenses.

Bodzilla
November 3rd, 2010, 09:33 PM

sleepy1212
November 4th, 2010, 07:46 AM
vitamin C

Kornman00
November 4th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Uh, from that logic, "natural selection" would just be keeping up. Not accelerating.

Cojafoji
November 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Uh, from that logic, "natural selection" would just be keeping up. Not accelerating.
Should have said "just leap frogging natural selection." Don't nitpick, or I'll get the hose.

Con
November 4th, 2010, 11:24 AM
This is a long way from a cure. It doesn't cover all the new mutations every year. Interesting research with some potential in certain areas, but IMO this is just another example of findings being blown out of proportion.

Dwood
November 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
This is a long way from a cure. It doesn't cover all the new mutations every year. Interesting research with some potential in certain areas, but IMO this is just another example of findings being blown out of proportion.

Reminds me of the "Gay Gene" articles, or the ones on the AIDS research. The slightest bit of progress in those areas generates so much hype it's almost like Duke Nuke 'em hype.

Edit: Not that there shouldn't be hype, but until there's real progress it's all vaporware. :P

DarkHalo003
November 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Until they say HERE'S A MEDICINE I don't think it qualifies as a complete cure. Just my two cents though.

=sw=warlord
November 5th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Until they say HERE'S A MEDICINE I don't think it qualifies as a complete cure. Just my two cents though.

They did.
They even gave a time frame.

Dwood
November 6th, 2010, 03:23 AM
loal I just read the title of the thread "Curse" xD

DarkHalo003
November 6th, 2010, 03:57 PM
They did.
They even gave a time frame.
Whoops, didn't see that part, just read the quote box. My bad.

I think they're setting themselves up to get their hopes crushed with the drugs curing cancer; I'm pretty sure abnormal cell growth and bacteria are entirely separate archetypes.

=sw=warlord
November 6th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Whoops, didn't see that part, just read the quote box. My bad.

I think they're setting themselves up to get their hopes crushed with the drugs curing cancer; I'm pretty sure abnormal cell growth and bacteria are entirely separate archetypes.

Not all cancers work the same way.
Blood cancer for instance is due to certain parts of the blood being taken as a foreign threat and is attacked, if they can switch on the defence mechanism's it's possible they could turn said defences off.