PDA

View Full Version : [MAP] Another Stupid Campaign Mod - Complete

Ifafudafi
November 8th, 2010, 04:42 PM
No need for pictures this time. You guys know what to expect.

---

The first thing I ever really did with Custom Edition was actually a campaign mod. Unlike ASCM, I just tossed in every tag I could find off the Halo Maps database with some tweaks to damage values and such. It was never finished and never released, as I ended up accidentally deleting pretty much every single tag I had, although I doubt it was much of a loss. After a year or so of not touching it, I came back and started playing with tags, but it wasn't until I started screwing around with the Plasma Grenade that I found my little niche in particle effects. Shortly afterwards, the series of Plasma Packs came out.

Unfortunately, almost nobody downloaded those tagpacks, so I was left with what people told me was great content which barely found its way into a couple of low-profile maps. I figured, "hey, wouldn't it be funny if I tried another campaign mod," and so, while I was working on Pack 3, I started handing weapons to Elites and Grunts and found that I had accidentally:

1. Introduced long-range combat into HCE
2. Caused everything to die in four to five shots
3. Added tons of polish to a game that really didn't have much

And so ASCM was born, and has, I believe, achieved modest popularity.

Now that it's over, I'll be leaving HCE to go work with an engine that hasn't been dead for years; probably UDK. I'll probably stick around Modacity (and might even post once or twice!) but for the most part, I'll likely end up quietly fading into the background until my next project, whatever it may be, starts to get somewhere. I hopped on the whole Halo ride a bit late, but it's been a fun one (despite the screaming kids). Just please, please, don't throw my tags into Blood Gulch and call it a mod. Learn from this stuff.

No, I'm not planning to finish out the HCE campaign. If more people knew/cared about the mod, I'd consider it, but it's way too low-profile to warrant anything other than what's been done here. Of course, if any of you guys want to take the tags and do so yourself, feel free.

Anyway, this was and is Another Stupid Campaign Mod. Play it, enjoy it, and get everybody you know do the same.

ADDITIONS/CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE

Weapons
-Plasma pistol nerfed immensely. Don't know how this slipped past everybody, but its primary fire was wrecking everything. Damage has been severely cut and fire rate has been capped. Charged shot unaffected.
-Battery life of all Plasma weapons reduced.
-Battle Rifle, Needler, and Impaler have new animations.
-Needler needles now appear properly during reload.
-Needler needles now do a little less damage to Elite shields.
-Pistol has a new model and skin.
-Pistol's autoaim radius and rate of fire have been increased. It's much more effective at closer ranges now, as intended.
-Battle Rifle's rate of fire decreased slightly.
-Plasma Burst's crosshair modified to better reflect its nature.
-Plasma Burst even further nerfed; less damage, slower rate of fire and fewer shots to overheat.

Units
-Hunters now take three Needler supercombines or two sniper shots/direct rocket hits/Impaler supercombines to kill. They're also more resilient against the Plasma Rifle.
-Steath Elite Majors now use Eviscerators in place of Plasma Spreads.
-Zealots (Elite commanders) wielding Plasma Rifles now wear the proper headgear.
-Zealot shields now cause Imapler needles to detonate on contact.
-Jackals with Plasma Beams have recieved a much-needed upgrade (better accuracy, higher RoF, etc.)
-Dead characters' dropped weapons contain far less extra ammo (ammo still in clip/battery unchanged.)

Particle Effects
-Elite/Cyborg shields now have lens flares. They're very sexy.
-Fuel Rod Gun's projectile trail redone to better match the effect set's overall style and to differentiate it from the new Wraith projectile.
-Hunter lights and effects now match the FRG particle set's color scheme.
-New vehicle explosion effects.
-Banshee weapons now use updated particle sets.

Known problems
-The SMG's sound will cut out and occasionally do weird things. This is just the way Halo CE handles looping sounds; there's nothing I can really do about it.
-The Pistol uses the old model/skin in third person. This is due to an issue with the new model which could not be fixed in time for scheduled release.
-Marines die very, very quickly in a50's interiors. Halfway due to higher damage ratios, halfway due to the way Bungie scripted those encounters. Can't change it without making them uber-powerful for the rest of the level.

Filefront (471 MB)
(http://www.filefront.com/17492118/ASCM_final.zip/)Halomaps links coming later

Goldkilla
November 8th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Anyway, this was and is Another Stupid Campaign Mod. Play it, enjoy it, and get everybody you know do the same.

More like "and get everybody you know to shut up and do the same." lol

I'm going to play the hell out of these just for your sake, and I wish you luck on a different gaming engine. Sorry to see you go but its not that surprising these days, almost EVERY non-noob member has left (well that and a few crits :P)

can't want to see some new stuff on your YT account anyways, lol (jk) well guess this is good-bye or are you sticking around for awhile longer?

Bobblehob
November 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Downloading as we speak, I am so glad to see this finally done!! I have been following your work closely since I played the first version of A10. I have to say that you have brought something to CE that I haven't seen in a long time, and I really wish you would stay and continue working on it, but I understand you wanting to leave. Good luck in the future, and remember that if you ever feel the urge to mod CE again, there will be some of us here who will be quite happy to see you back. :)

Ifafudafi
November 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Oh also note in case any of you don't read the readme (shame on you), all these maps are entirely unprotected, so feel free to rip whatever you want so long as you give credit where it's due. For all four of you who are still srs about HCE, use them to learn and improve your work.

assassinchief107
November 9th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Downloading, seems fun. :P
What makes me :( is that you're leaving, I really hope that you return to CE again.
Btw, where's the shotgun? :/

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
November 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Took you long enough. ;)

Got to a50, liking it :woop: for now.
You got 2 downloads from me (2 PC's)
About the 'leaving' thing I guess that he's making a smart move switching to an another game, which hopefully has more than 10 people playing custom maps in it.

btw assasinchief107 the shotgun comes in the level '343 Guilty Spark' which is sadly not covered in this mod :saddowns:

L0d3x
November 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
You'd get alot more response on halomaps. Just saying.

Ifafudafi
November 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM
It's awaiting admission at Halomaps. I upload it to their FTP and to Filefront at the same time, but since Dennis has to make sure each map works first, they don't usually get posted until ~week later, and I prefer not to post a thread there until it's also hosting the files.

assassinchief107
November 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
"Shotgun - 8 rounds. Devastating at short range, moderate effectiveness at mid-range."
lies

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
November 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Well that was before Ifafudafi decided that the mod will not cover the whole campaign:smith:

d4rfnader
November 11th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Played it, nice job, your balancing got a lot better compared to the first releases.

n00b1n8R
November 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
1 week till semester ends and I can play this~

assassinchief107
November 15th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Tbqh, the Impaler and Plasma Beam are useless. It's near impossible to score a supercombine on who we would to score on: Elites, due to their non-stop movement, as for the Plasma Beam, "like all other plasma weapons, it should tear through shields easily"

Hydrogen32
November 18th, 2010, 04:33 PM
where the heck is C10 >:[ u said you would do all the maps that arent using run back throughs..

c10 would be 20 times better then all maps.

ICEE
November 18th, 2010, 09:53 PM
^ he doesn't do flood.

d4rfnader
November 18th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Lol, and i tested some of his weapons against the flood, they're way overpowered. =P