PDA

View Full Version : Wikileaks is at it again.

=sw=warlord
December 2nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
Recently Wikileak's has announced (http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/) over the coming months they will be publishing 251,287 documents comprising 261,276,536 words (seven times the size of "The Iraq War Logs", the world's previously largest classified information release).

The documents cover from 1966 all the way up until end of February this year.
Said documents have been obtained from US embassies and include some extremely embarrassing cables from various diplomat ranging from insults behind closed doors, under the table trading and various other activities.

Since then the US government is now trying to classify Wikileaks as a terrorist organization. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1334112/WikiLeaks-classed-terrorists-Julian-Assange-faces-police-probe.html)
It has gone so far as to suggesting to other governments the same and has even ordered the US server host Amazon to remove wikileaks from it's servers.

The Australian government has created a "taskforce" (http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/spooks-and-soldiers-seconded-to-examine-secret-cables-20101129-18e12.html) to track and trace the founder of wikileaks as well as search through the various documents soon to published as well as those which have already been released.

Holy fuck, the shit is about to hit the wind tunnel fan.
I don't know about you lot but I plan on keeping a very close eye on all of this.

n00b1n8R
December 2nd, 2010, 07:15 PM
http://sae.tweek.us/static/images/emoticons/emot-australia.gif

Limited
December 2nd, 2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?22717-Dagestani-weddings-are-serious-business)

=sw=warlord
December 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Yeah (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?22717-Dagestani-weddings-are-serious-business)

Yeah... (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?21000-On-Debates-and-Debating)
Also why make a thread with a irrelevant name?

Limited
December 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah... (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?21000-On-Debates-and-Debating)
Also why make a thread with a irrelevant name?
It is relevant, go read the leaked 'cables'. Tho I do see what you mean.

DarkHalo003
December 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I honestly think what Wikileaks did (and is doing) is BS. They're compromising a lot for the U.S. in terms of potential relations with countries that current relations with are strained at best; the founder is basically on a Wanted poster. One can consider this treason to an extent since it relays intel and ordinance into enemy hands. Words can be just deadly as a gun, especially diplomatically. How many innocents may be judged even further by other countries by this mess? What if one country were to declare war due to enragement? Our world has the innate problem of constantly making accusations and being skeptical about everything that is happening daily. The last thing we need is for a group of overzealous media dumbasses to post documents that can be considered detrimental to the diplomatic relationships between one of the most powerful countries in the world and various other countries in the world. There are some things the media should alert people about: weather, national crisis, progress, etc. They should NOT release documents that not only the majority of U.S. citizens could care less about (unless it obviously sparks a global conflict), but may cause higher tensions across the globe.

So I think their being called a "Terrorist Organization" can be fitting, but the predicament at hand is more like holding a gun to the head of the planet. I don't know why the hell people think publishing every bit of information (most of which should stay classified) is okay, and even when the media uncovers these classifieds they still can give only certain details, but Wikileaks is taking this way too far. This doesn't just cover a national base; it covers the global base.

=sw=warlord
December 2nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
If the information released causes trouble, then it's trouble well deserved.
The issue is simple, Accountability is always key in no matter what situation and if someone were to sit on information which withholds such accountability then how is justice going to persevere?

Sometime's unfavourable event's need to happen in order to obtain the more favourable ones.
Ask yourself this, had WW2 not occurred would the Nazi's still be about?
what of the third Reich?
Last month there was a possible ICBM launched off the coast of California, an ex secretary of defence and NATO diplomat confirmed as much, Where was the missile headed? no one knows, why was it launched? no one's telling.
Is it truly in the interests of the population to be kept in the dark of these details?

Without the full details on situations one cannot create a full image of the bigger picture.
We all know what happened when Galileo first announced his theory of the earth orbiting the sun.
Are we really that sensitive that we will censor details that are absolutely required to progress further instead of being in a political stalemate?

CN3089
December 2nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Last month there was a possible ICBM launched off the coast of California, an ex secretary of defence and NATO diplomat confirmed as much, Where was the missile headed? no one knows, why was it launched? no one's telling.
Is it truly in the interests of the population to be kept in the dark of these details?

It was a plane, hope this helps.

Also if you think what wikileaks doing is just or moral then you are pretty ignorant.

paladin
December 3rd, 2010, 01:24 AM
LOL (http://www.interpol.int/public/data/wanted/notices/data/2010/86/2010_52486.asp)

Cagerrin
December 3rd, 2010, 01:49 AM
"sex crimes"

Pretty obviously trumped up. They're just scared wikileaks is going to drop the bank-ruining "megaleak" before they can shut them down.

Silly banks, maybe if you were less retarded this wouldn't be a problem.

=sw=warlord
December 3rd, 2010, 05:33 AM
it was a plane, hope this helps

also if you think what wikileaks doing is just or moral then you are pretty ignorant friend!
Right because planes have a obnoxious tail flame which can be seen miles away right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOoiyut4VZw

oh and paladin, instead of making yourself seem like a adolescent troll whose only reason for posting is to type lol in capitals how about you actually type something on topic.
It's been known that since wikileaks first mentioned they were going to publish this content that Interpol has put a search out for the founder.
That has nothing to do with the site itself only one person involved.

annihilation
December 3rd, 2010, 05:50 AM
Wikileaks is down.

DarkHalo003
December 3rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
It moved to Switzerland and is asking for donations. I don't consider them a media company though; they keep saying that they're just following the first amendment. Whether that be true or not, I think if it involves global relations then it can be considered a measure of national security.

Pooky
December 3rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Right because planes have a obnoxious tail flame which can be seen miles away right?

Hell, you could see that thing all the way in Texas.

Futzy
December 3rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Domain got taken down.
wikileaks.ch (http://wikileaks.ch)
is still up.

CN3089
December 3rd, 2010, 10:34 AM

it's called a contrail (http://www.webcitation.org/5u98XSi9j), friend

perhaps you should keep better informed :allears:

Yoko
December 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Domain got taken down.
wikileaks.ch (http://wikileaks.ch)
is still up.
wikileaks.ch isn't loading for me, but http://213.251.145.96/ is

=sw=warlord
December 3rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
it's called a contrail (http://www.webcitation.org/5u98XSi9j), friend

perhaps you should keep better informed :allears:
Did I mention the contrail?
No I didn't think so, if you look carefully you can see a very obnoxious flame.
The flow doesn't glint or change on brightness which it would had it been a reflection.
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3104/67172183.jpg
Sorry try again.:allears:

paladin
December 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Wikileaks is down.

Because amazon shut down their servers. i assume they will be until they find a new host.

Dwood
December 3rd, 2010, 01:38 PM
It's funny to me that the only government wikileaks has even leaked was the U.S. government.

Yoko
December 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
That's because the U.S. gov are the only ones getting riled up over the leaks

The more the U.S. gets real mad, the more they release

Warsaw
December 3rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
The ultimate trole.

Aerowyn
December 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I think in general, what wikileaks does is admirable. Exposing corruption is obviously very important, and people deserve to know when their leaders are being hypocrites and liars. I mean, we praised wikileaks for the secret scientology documents, or at least I did.

However, this leak directly threatens peace between other nations and I really can't admire that. I just want to live my life without being afraid that this country is going to plunge itself into war after war for stupid reasons. These leaked cables are the equivalent of gossiping among diplomats, and I don't really understand why it's a huge deal.

I also would like to see them bring a bank down. It's about time the banking industry gets scared straight. One lost document could send them spiraling out, and I think that knowledge would perhaps make them re-consider any shady dealings if they did them.

Kornman00
December 4th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Sorry, but I'm all in on this one. Banking leaks may help us, so who knows what other leaks may help others in the world. There's no picking and choosing. Well, unless you're the gov'ts and officials who were behind all of these messes to begin with, then you get to pick and choose what information you release.

=sw=warlord
December 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Sorry, but I'm all in on this one. Banking leaks may help us, so who knows what other leaks may help others in the world. There's no picking and choosing. Well, unless you're the gov'ts and officials who were behind all of these messes to begin with, then you get to pick and choose what information you release.
Agreed, If we are to learn anything from this then we need to find out the full details not pick and choose certain parts.
The problem is with the banking leaks, after all this time of struggling to get out of a recession what will be stopping us plunging into a full on depression if the details are given out?

@aerowyn: May I suggest you read this. (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?22719-Wikileaks-is-at-it-again.&p=565031&viewfull=1#post565031)
More specifically the part about how sometimes we need to go through bad times before we can progress onto better.
Had the news about Poland being invaded by Germany been suppressed there's a good chance that the world would be entirely different now.

Dwood
December 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I am wholly against wikileaks' current actions until they start getting 'dirt' on other countries.

=sw=warlord
December 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I am wholly against wikileaks' current actions until they start getting 'dirt' on other countries.
Why?
Because it's making your entire government look like fools?
Or because it's completely un-American to listen to anything other than state media presents unless of course it's condemning another nation?

ICEE
December 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I'm pro corruption exposure, but I do agree with dwood that it would be nice to see other government's shit exposed. You know damn well that it's there and waiting to be unearthed, the USA is not the only one with flaws. It's just too easy to take a pot shot at us.

=sw=warlord
December 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I'm pro corruption exposure, but I do agree with dwood that it would be nice to see other government's shit exposed. You know damn well that it's there and waiting to be unearthed, the USA is not the only one with flaws. It's just too easy to take a pot shot at us.
As I've made clear, I'm all for corruption exposure but it just seems a little hypocritical to be against the leaks unless their leaks about other governments.
I'm about as far away as you can get when it comes to nationalism, it's a infantile thing and for that reason I do my best to keep out of "patriotic" trades.

ejburke
December 4th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hey, Gotham City, Harvey Dent was Two Face! You can release all those criminals now!

Have we learned nothing from blockbuster 2008 superhero films? Sometimes the truth ISN'T good enough. If you had a wet dream about your sister, would you tell her? In the short term, it would be awkward and difficult to look her in the eye, but in the long term... well, you'll never live it down, but I imagine after your death a rainbow would form somewhere in the world. So it was worth it, right?

=sw=warlord
December 4th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hey, Gotham City, Harvey Dent was Two Face! You can release all those criminals now!

Have we learned nothing from blockbuster 2008 superhero films? Sometimes the truth ISN'T good enough. If you had a wet dream about your sister, would you tell her? In the short term, it would be awkward and difficult to look her in the eye, but in the long term... well, you'll never live it down, but I imagine after your death a rainbow would form somewhere in the world. So it was worth it, right?
Would you prefer to have multiple counts of human rights violations as well as a number of equally serious offences simply forgotten about?

"Hey that guy brutally raped and murdered his wife, sure she's dead now and didn't have any kids to care for so we should totally let the guy off and forget the about how all those laws and regulations were broken right?":allears:

ejburke
December 4th, 2010, 06:01 PM
And suppose the only witness of the rape was a murderer. Would you grant him immunity in exchange for his testimony or let the rapist walk?

My point is that things have to be weighed. The scales of justice. If the leak does a little bit of good and a lot of harm, then it is harm-FUL.

I don't buy the line that good will ultimately come of global social and financial destabilization. Good ultimately comes out of a forest fire, but I don't go around setting blazes.

Dwood
December 4th, 2010, 06:27 PM
In our case, the leak does more harm than good. Doesn't mean I'm not taking advantage of it though.

jcap
December 5th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I supported the Collateral Murder video leak. I thought it was good that they exposed a massive lie and cover-up of the murder of innocent civilians and journalists. This is different though. I see this as a direct attack on our national security and international relations, which I cannot support at all.

What Wikileaks has done here exposes the US's intelligence of international affairs. This leak is not exposing corruption in the same way that it has exposed corruption of organizations and other government activities. While a lot of the stuff in these "cables" is very appalling, you need to understand that this is really done in the best interest of our country and the entire world. While much of the cables are gossip and opinions of other leaders, which is embarrassing to us, some also reveal spying activities. But without any spying, things could be happening behind closed doors that could be potentially harmful to us. It really would have been best if none of this was publicly known, because not only is it putting the US in the hot seat now for what we have done, but existing relations can become tarnished after learning about harsh feelings towards other countries.

Timo
December 5th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I supported the Collateral Murder video leak. I thought it was good that they exposed a massive lie and cover-up of the murder of innocent civilians and journalists. This is different though. I see this as a direct attack on our national security and international relations, which I cannot support at all.

you saw the full version of that video right? iirc that van wasn't so friendly earlier.

Dwood
December 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM
you saw the full version of that video right? iirc that van wasn't so friendly earlier.

Where is that video posted at? I need it in my bookmarks.

Kornman00
December 5th, 2010, 03:29 AM
It's (the full version) on usenet. Not sure about the standard streaming video sites.

Dwood
December 5th, 2010, 04:31 AM
It's (the full version) on usenet. Not sure about the standard streaming video sites.

I have never used usenet. help.

Timo
December 5th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Since it was so long ago I can't remember where I found the full video. Try finding the thread that was for that video

DarkHalo003
December 5th, 2010, 08:16 PM
So Wikileaks happens to release all of these classified documents....then what are you going to do? Will your life be anymore complete that you learned some random truth that honestly will have no positive impact on your lives whatsoever? I just think it's stupid how this stuff happens and how people (making it happen or wanting it to happen) think something majors going to occur when in reality it won't. So the U.S Gov't is corrupt. What else is new? It's not like this is some revelation that will change the scope of the world.

In short, I think this leak will generally lead to negative effects. Nothing good will come from this. Maybe some politicians will be on the hotseat, but other than that, I seriously don't see corruption being prevented ever again from this. I'm more worried about what will happen between the U.S. and other countries if this leak goes through; either it might just increase tensions or it will really stir up the bee hive.

Kornman00
December 5th, 2010, 08:27 PM
That's a very selfish attitude.

It may not cure corruption, but it can fight it.

ejburke
December 5th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Why would the US government document its own corruption? The gist I got is that we documented everybody ELSE'S corruption. This will impact our diplomatic relations once these countries realize all the shit we're talking about them. Is that what we want? A blow to diplomacy?

Warsaw
December 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM
@DarkHalo: Imagine you are a member of a 1984-esque nation-state. All of a sudden there is this massive leak of info that they can't control. Now everyone knows what's up, and now the government is outnumbered three-hundred-million to one.

Kornman00
December 5th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Why would the US government document its own corruption?
Nixon recorded the conversations in the White House...

DarkHalo003
December 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM
@DarkHalo: Imagine you are a member of a 1984-esque nation-state. All of a sudden there is this massive leak of info that they can't control. Now everyone knows what's up, and now the government is outnumbered three-hundred-million to one.
This isn't an extreme and "no duh" scenario. I should also mention that you are talking about a brain-washed society where there is no democracy or voice allowed. Even though the U.S. tries its best at reinforcing patriotism, it is nothing of the sort and is entirely opposite. What Wikileaks is doing is provoking a world hungry for someone to point all of their grievances upon; there is absolutely nothing except an overzealous and misguided attempt at being a form of the press. Some exposures of the gov't I'm okay with, but as I've mentioned before, this is not a scenario where revealing classified documents (they're classified for a reason) will result in any positive effects.

paladin
December 5th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Did you guys not read anything about the current leak? There were tones of cables from foreign aids and high ranking officials. Almost every country in the middle east had them. Look at the shit about Iran and Israel. It wasn't just US government leaks.

CN3089
December 5th, 2010, 10:50 PM

iirc the van was a father driving his children to school

he stopped to help the wounded journalist and got shot up for his trouble :smith:

also I pretty much agree with jcap, diplomatic talks are (supposed to be) privileged for a reason

t3h m00kz
December 6th, 2010, 07:38 AM
LOL (http://www.interpol.int/public/data/wanted/notices/data/2010/86/2010_52486.asp)

I don't know shit about what's going on with this site but I'm assuming that guy's the wikileaks starter.

Sex crimes? ... Really?

paladin
December 6th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I don't know shit about what's going on with this site but I'm assuming that guy's the wikileaks starter.

Sex crimes? ... Really?

Yeah, google what they are and youll laugh your ass off. its a lame excuse for the US and its allies to corral this guy on. Its kind of like charging a drug dealer on tax evasion.

thehoodedsmack
December 6th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I'll say that I'm very much against what Wikileaks is doing right now.

It's one thing to expose corruption and scandal to the public, things that people should be aware of and officials held accountable for.

But there are some things, that in the interest of national security, should not be revealed. On that note, I'd like to link you all to an article released today, titled:

List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11923766)

Does anyone defend the action of releasing something like this?

Kornman00
December 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM
WikiLeaks Reveals How Google Was Targeted in China (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40516889/ns/business-motley_fool/).

ejburke
December 6th, 2010, 04:55 PM
That's the sort of thing I was expecting. All the parties involved already knew what happened. Now we know, too! Or we think we know. Really, there's no proof of anything. It's just tabloid hearsay.

But I'm watching you, China!

Dwood
December 6th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Inside the "Insurance" 1.2 gig file is every cabe without any names or addys removed. And therefore, if he were brought to trial... And those documents if released, could bring about a new all out World War. It would also leave the U.S. espionage without any more capability in anything but new recruits...

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/21092-wikileaks-boss-blackmails-world

paladin
December 6th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Of course Gingrich can say what he likes. Assange is not a US citizen and, because he did not steal the documents himself is protected under the U.S. Constitution’s free-speech provisions.

Thats not entirely true. The 1st amendment doesn't protect speech that directly, or could directly harm another. I can't say i'm going to kidnap, rape, torture, sodomize, and murder kornman. **note, not in any particular order**

t3h m00kz
December 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
you had me turned on till you got to the murder part

Dwood
December 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Thats not entirely true. The 1st amendment doesn't protect speech that directly, or could directly harm another. I can't say i'm going to kidnap, rape, torture, sodomize, and murder kornman. **note, not in any particular order**

It also doesn't apply to non-citizens or people in other countries.

paladin
December 6th, 2010, 11:09 PM
It also doesn't apply to non-citizens or people in other countries.

This is true. Which is also why he can't commit treason. Its an act of war or terrorism... however you wish to classify it.

Aerowyn
December 7th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Well, we're never going to see HIM again. His trial will be rigged, and they'll lock him up for a very long time just because they can. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40544697/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/)

Though, he had made a statement the other day saying that he had an ace in the hole, a poison pill--he said he has information that will automatically add itself to Wikileaks "if anything should happen."

Very interested to know if this is for serious or not.

sleepy1212
December 7th, 2010, 07:27 AM
As much as i disagree with what he's doing, or at least why I think he's doing it, obvious *CIA* rape charges are obvious.

CN3089
December 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Well, we're never going to see HIM again. His trial will be rigged, and they'll lock him up for a very long time just because they can. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40544697/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/)

As much as i disagree with what he's doing, or at least why I think he's doing it, obvious *CIA* rape charges are obvious.

Excuse me my good posting friends, but it may help your case somewhat if you were to cite reputable sources so as to substantiate your claims.

Your Friend,
CN3089

Aerowyn
December 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM
[citation needed]

While it was a horrible attempt, trolling is still frowned upon in here you know, sweetie. :allears:

Limited
December 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I support the Wikileaks stuff, okay it will cause a bit of brief between countries, and relationships could be hindered for a long time. But whos to blame for that? The people that are involved in saying it.

All Wikileaks is doing, is releasing in raw format U.S State Department correspondence, he is not releasing CIA, Homeland or FBI documents. This is communication that shouldn't be so secret, to my knowledge hes not releasing classified military documents such as information on where troops are, what they're attack plans are.

I feel this whole situation, is just like an episode from 24. US has done some real shady things.

Dwood
December 7th, 2010, 12:29 PM
US has done some real shady things.

And every other country hasn't?

Also, Aerowyn, read my posts- It shows you exactly why they won't touch him.

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?22719-Wikileaks-is-at-it-again.&p=565325&viewfull=1#post565325

paladin
December 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Im pretty sure when someone is facing extradition, its common practice to deny bail.

Aerowyn
December 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Im pretty sure when someone is facing extradition, its common practice to deny bail.

Rephrase: I wasn't commenting on the title of the article. I'm saying that they're probably going to convict him of this random-assed sex charge just so they can put him in jail and HOPE that it stops the leaks. l2read

paladin
December 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM
You need to learn to read your own article. head line:
Arrested WikiLeaks chief denied bail in U.K.

All I was doing was commenting on the article YOU posted.

Aerowyn
December 7th, 2010, 07:43 PM
You need to learn to read your own article.

All I was doing was commenting on the article YOU posted.

Then my bad. I thought you were referring to my commentary, which is an easy mistake to make seeing as it's what you quoted. Be more specific next time. XD

Also, he wasn't denied bail because he was extradited. He was denied bail because of his previous "evasion of the law" and they figured that he would run again if he made bail. :P

Source. (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/12/07/2010-12-07_julian_assange_arrested_in_england_faces_charge s_of_rape_sexual_molestation_in_s.html#ixzz17TqSEf 5Y)

The judge refused to allow Assange out on bail because he had "substantial grounds" to believe the Australian skip out on future court appearances.

jcap
December 7th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Why would they think he would run? He turned himself in. He even has leverage. It's not like he was resisting arrest.

Aerowyn
December 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Why would they think he would run? He turned himself in. He even has leverage. It's not like he was resisting arrest.

From what I gathered from the whole debacle between Mr. Assange and the 2 girls, the one girl found out about the other, they both got upset, and went to the police ONLY to try and get Mr. Assange to submit to an STD test. I guess he sort of rushed off and has been avoiding police and sort of sneaking around since. I suppose that gives the impression that he is elusive and prone to running.

But considering he turned himself in, clearly he's confident he'll walk away from this. Especially with the US trying to extradite his ass for "espionage."

Limited
December 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Why would they think he would run? He turned himself in. He even has leverage. It's not like he was resisting arrest.He's filling for extradition to Sweden I believe, so if he was free to go I think he'd leg it to Sweden ASAP.

His lawyers adviced him to turn himself in too, I don't think he was too pleased about it, he recorded a video that has yet to be released.

TVTyrant
December 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
If the US government really cared he'd be dead. Thats the truth of the whole thing. Obama doesn't give a fuck about what Russia or the rest of the world thinks. On the side of "The people speaking shouldn't have said nasty things about other countries leaders", are people not allowed to have private conversations? Honestly, what kind of world is it where people doing a job can't have conversations with each other anymore. For God's sake, the worst I heard was that the US and UK diplomats think Putin is a pushy creeping douche. Oh no! Next they'll say he has cooties! Then what will the most powerful government in the world do? Post an apology because they have personal opinions and have friends? *GASP*

Seriously, the media has blown this way out of proportion, just like with the last set, this is all shit we knew was happening.

n00b1n8R
December 7th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Prime Minister Gillard and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have not had a word of criticism for the other media organisations. That is because The Guardian, The New York Times and Der Spiegel are old and large, while WikiLeaks is as yet young and small.Reposting this from his article in the Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/wikileaks/dont-shoot-messenger-for-revealing-uncomfortable-truths/story-fn775xjq-1225967241332) because it's important you guys realise how biased this all is!

PS. obvious non-flight risk. he turned him self in lmao.

On the side of "The people speaking shouldn't have said nasty things about other countries leaders", are people not allowed to have private conversations? Honestly, what kind of world is it where people doing a job can't have conversations with each other anymore. For God's sake, the worst I heard was that the US and UK diplomats think Putin is a pushy creeping douche. Oh no! Next they'll say he has cooties! Then what will the most powerful government in the world do? Post an apology because they have personal opinions and have friends? *GASP*

Seriously, the media has blown this way out of proportion, just like with the last set, this is all shit we knew was happening.
There's no reason for that sort of smack talk in official communications.

TVTyrant
December 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I see how it's unprofessional, but at the same time remember that these documents ren't meant for senators or parliament or for the most part even Prime Ministers or Presidents. They are meant for diplomats to read, and then to focus on the important information and send it to their bosses. Comments about other nation's leaders might be a little out of line, but I think it shows that people who work for the government are just that, people. They have opinions, and have a right to express that opinion to their co-workers.

Edit: Read the article you posted. The parts about cables still resound disgustingly with me, but the fact US personnel were ordered to take information from UN personnel is interesting.Not quite sure what the purpose of the information being stolen was, but that is very intriguing.

Bodzilla
December 8th, 2010, 12:12 AM

bingo

t3h m00kz
December 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I've been following this a bit lately. Now, using what little common sense I have, I will say what I believe.

Wikileaks is doing good in exposing the flaws in our government. The fact that some of these war crimes have occurred in direct contrast with what our government claims is absolutely ridiculous (The German guy tortured for months was fucking bullshit), and the government should not be allowed to get away with such things. However, I also believe that exposing our military intel publicly leaves us open and vulnerable, and should obviously remain classified.

What I'm saying is I support exposing the lies the people are fed, not so much exposing our defenses.

Limited
December 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
However, I also believe that exposing our military intel publicly leaves us open and vulnerable, and should obviously remain classified.
Hes only releasing documents that are classed as secret, nothing has been classed as top secret.

You all realise, the people that have been saying the stuff, the diplomats. People saying Berlusconi is a dodgy guy, and what not. We are the ones paying their salary, our taxes is what pays for them to stay in nice hotels whilst they cover stuff up. Don't you think we deserve to know the truth?

Also if the US government had him killed, and it came out in public that it was them, it would ruin the US government.

But PayPal has since admitted that it stopped payments following a request from the US government. "State Department told us these were illegal activities. It was straightforward," Osama Bedier, of the firm, told the Le Web conference in France.

Bodzilla
December 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
read the article n00b posted.

all fears of NATIONAL SECURITY is bullshit.

there is no evidence of it ever happening from anything they've ever done

=sw=warlord
December 8th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Today the office of the Swedish prosecutor pursuing Assange came under cyber attack in the latest salvo by his online supporters, the "cyber hacktivist" group called "Anonymous". Attempts to connect to the aklagare.se website around 9am (AEDT) were unsuccessful. (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/world/assange-arrested-by-uk-police/story-e6frea8l-1225967232654)

t3h m00kz
December 8th, 2010, 08:41 PM
You all realise, the people that have been saying the stuff, the diplomats. People saying Berlusconi is a dodgy guy, and what not. We are the ones paying their salary, our taxes is what pays for them to stay in nice hotels whilst they cover stuff up. Don't you think we deserve to know the truth?

uh, if this information is made public throughout different parts of the world, then it's more than just the taxpayers who are getting to know the truth.

Limited
December 8th, 2010, 09:05 PM
NMA are at it again! (They make funny animations about stuff from the news, for example one about Tiger Woods car smash incident, and one about Wayne Rooney (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLaJzjj6uEY)).

w0xLyoc9DxU

uh, if this information is made public throughout different parts of the world, then it's more than just the taxpayers who are getting to know the truth.
Yes, the general public refers to people in the world, good job figuring that out.

Timo
December 9th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Anonymous has taken down http://mastercard.com/, http://paypal.com/ and http://visa.com/ because they have stopped payments to the wikileaks cause.

n00b1n8R
December 9th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Can somebody link an article where Anon (like it's some kind of structured organisation) has claimed responsibility for these DDOS's?

Timo
December 9th, 2010, 12:55 AM
'Hacktivist' group Anonymous, linked to message board 4chan, has led online assault against MasterCard and Paypal websites (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/08/anonymous-4chan-wikileaks-mastercard-paypal?CMP=twt_gu)

paladin
December 9th, 2010, 01:01 AM
can i still make transaction with paypal? I have to finish my christmas shopping on amazon.......

t3h m00kz
December 10th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Yes, the general public refers to people in the world, good job figuring that out.

oh. I misread your post.

fuck, I seriously think I'm dyslexic or some shit..

Limited
December 14th, 2010, 08:44 AM
"I spoke to Julian Assange in Wandsworth Prison and he told me they put him in solitary confinement in a punishment block. This is ridiculous."

His lawyer Mark Stephens said he had not been given any of his post - including legal letters - since being remanded in custody.

Ridiculous, how can they treat him like an animal?

=sw=warlord
December 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM
"I spoke to Julian Assange in Wandsworth Prison and he told me they put him in solitary confinement in a punishment block. This is ridiculous."

His lawyer Mark Stephens said he had not been given any of his post - including legal letters - since being remanded in custody.

Ridiculous, how can they treat him like an animal?

Because they can.
They want to make him an example to others who might want to follow in his steps and as far as the public is concerned, The government's involved are the victims and he is the aggressor so no one will complain.

Yoko
December 14th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Update: Assange released on bail, Michael Moore tries to be cool and tells the world he posted $20,000 for his bail, skips McDonalds meals for a week

t3h m00kz
December 20th, 2010, 06:07 AM
that michael moore. what a guy

Kornman00
January 16th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Florida man sues WikiLeaks and Julian Assange for $150 million (http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/14/5840951-florida-man-sues-wikileaks-and-julian-assange-for-150-million)

I think the guy may have spent too much time in the sun and cooked his brain. On top of being born an idiot.

Patssj6
January 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Assange is probably being waterboarded right now.

=sw=warlord
January 16th, 2011, 10:52 AM
There are some people who were dropped when they were born, this guy seems like he had the doctor throw him against a concrete wall at birth.

paladin
January 16th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Spell Check, L2.

=sw=warlord
January 16th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Spell Check, L2.
On topic, L2.

Kornman00
January 16th, 2011, 08:07 PM
It kinda is, hth.

TVTyrant
January 17th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Florida man sues WikiLeaks and Julian Assange for $150 million (http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/14/5840951-florida-man-sues-wikileaks-and-julian-assange-for-150-million)

I think the guy may have spent too much time in the sun and cooked his brain. On top of being born an idiot.

Honestly I think this is pretty funny. But then again I didn't think that WikiLeaks did any good in the world (read my other posts) so yeah. Just funny, and has almost no relevance to wikileaks in actuality. Just proves that Florida is a terrible state :P

thehoodedsmack
January 17th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Wikileaks to be given data on Swiss bank accounts. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12205690)

So now they're getting data on international tax-evaders and money-launderers.

Patssj6
January 17th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Nothing new there. Last time Germany bought the CD from a swiss criminal who had information about 2000 Tax-Evaders for 1 Million Euros.

paladin
January 17th, 2011, 07:51 PM
On topic, L2.

Hows your tunnel vision?

Phobias
January 18th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I hadn't heard any mention of wikileaks for the last 2 weeks, I thought the government finally gassed it, thanks for the heads up guys.

=sw=warlord
January 18th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Hows your tunnel vision?

Pretty good actually, been cured.
Hows the horse blinkers working for you?

Kornman00
January 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Hey warlord, Paladin, ever hear of private (http://www.modacity.net/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=503)/visitor messages?

=sw=warlord
January 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Hey warlord, Paladin, ever hear of private (http://www.modacity.net/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=503)/visitor messages?

Yeah, they're pretty useful if you wish to have a private conversation with people.

TVTyrant
January 30th, 2011, 04:29 AM
This just became srs business
http://www.mediaite.com/online/recently-released-wikileaks-cables-reveal-important-background-on-egyptian-uprising/

All I have to say is wow. Sounds like BS, but if its true, it's huge.

Fake E: Says that Wikileaks is revealing information that shows the US as responsible for Egyptian Revolution.

Warsaw
January 31st, 2011, 02:58 PM
All I see here is that the Egyptian government was corrupt. Who didn't know that already? What government isn't corrupt? Remember, Wikileaks may also be leveraging their position to fabricate stories. I'm not saying they are, I'm just considering all possibilities. Maybe the US did drop the seeds for revolution, I have no idea.

=sw=warlord
January 31st, 2011, 03:06 PM
All I see here is that the Egyptian government was corrupt. Who didn't know that already? What government isn't corrupt? Remember, Wikileaks may also be leveraging their position to fabricate stories. I'm not saying they are, I'm just considering all possibilities. Maybe the US did drop the seeds for revolution, I have no idea.
It wouldn't be the first time the west got involved in a uprising in the east.
Think Iran.

Patrickssj6
January 31st, 2011, 04:02 PM
It wouldn't be the first time the west got involved in a uprising in the east.
Think Iran.
Think a lot more..you don't even have to look that far, look more to the south of the US.

Phopojijo
January 31st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Look *everywhere*... with varying levels of involvement and secrecy.

Warsaw
January 31st, 2011, 04:50 PM
And various countries at fault. Shit, if we (the West) had NOT given them independence, the world would be a happier place. Even if we aren't actively involved in repressing a former colonial region, they still seem to be complete fuck-ups. Look no further than Africa and Pakistan.

sleepy1212
February 1st, 2011, 08:01 AM
It's not like it matters what we do there anyway, personally i'd prefer a secular dictator over a religious dictator since those are apparently the only choices over there.

Warsaw
February 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM
Well...some dictators blur the line. Was Hitler secular or religious? Good question. I'd put him on religious. I'd also put Kim Jung Il under religious. Mussolini didn't give a rat's ass but paid lip service to the Vatican so he had support. He's secular, though.

sleepy1212
February 10th, 2011, 07:56 AM
we're out of oil...or not (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/02/09/133625326/wikileaks-saudi-arabia-overstated-its-oil-reserves)

Patrickssj6
February 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM
The way that article is written makes me puke.

t3h m00kz
February 11th, 2011, 03:17 AM

I love how it's for "emotional damage" or some bullcrap like that.

Eh, I'm from Florida and honestly I'd expect this sort of behavior from them.