PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Anniversary - The Halo 1 remake (fuck anyone who calls it "halo ce" remake)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

supersniper
December 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Microsoft's freshly-formed internal Halo studio, 343 Industries, is working on a Halo: Combat Evolved remake.

That's according to "industry chatter" reported in the new Games Master magazine, which writes that the updated game could run on the Halo: Reach engine and arrive ahead of a full Halo 3 sequel in late 2012.

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_187430_thumb300.jpg (javascript:screens_popup(187430);)
If true, the remade Halo: Combat Evolved could release on the original's tenth anniversary, which falls on November, 2011.

Microsoft has previously expressed interest in adopting an annual release model for the Halo series (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=265908), and this would certainly fit that nicely.

Plus, when asked, UK Xbox boss boss Stephen McGill seemed to be in favour of a remake, telling Eurogamer earlier this month (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-10-the-xboss-interview?page=2): "I imagine it's a good idea".

"I think some people want to go back to older games and see them revisited and I think a lot of developers want to see that too," he said.

We're certainly up for this. Are you, CVG massive?

For the full story and a huge 2011 preview blowout Buy Games Master 233 online and have it delivered to your door (http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/gaming/gamesmaster-magazine-subscription/).

Source (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=278410)

Jose
December 13th, 2010, 11:13 AM
YES I WANT HALO 3 1

RedBaron
December 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hell yes, finally a halo game worth playing again! lolz, where cmt failed bungie shall finish the job. Now if only this is for PC also, which shouldn't be too far fetched since Microsoft isn't clenching onto their hands anymore

Hotrod
December 13th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I saw that a while ago. Damn, it's gonna be awesome! I wonder if they're going to use weapons and enemies from Reach, or do an actual remake of Halo 1 with all of it's original content?

Jose
December 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
YESS!! I SO EXITED NOW! REECH WAEPONS ON HALO CP!!!!!!!!!

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
December 13th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Not too excited, but it would be cool.
If it was announced for PC, I would be like this :woop:

This post was written by a person which doesn't own an X360.

Jose
December 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM
u dont have xbox
how old r u u so poor lol.

Siliconmaster
December 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'd be interested in a Halo 1 remake. On the one hand the original is classic, and I don't think a remake could ever completely replace it. However, it would be amazing to see Alpha Halo in current gen graphics.

Limited
December 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'd be interested in a Halo 1 remake. On the one hand the original is classic, and I don't think a remake could ever completely replace it. However, it would be amazing to see Alpha Halo in current gen graphics.
Like Sillicon said, I don't think it would ever replace the original, just how the new Goldeneye on Wii will never replace the original for N64. That said it would be fun to play as long as they are true to the original game.

Also this was discussed, in the Reach thread.

Timo
December 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM
If it had XBL support i'd buy it, otherwise i'd only rent it to play through the campaign once or twice.

Hotrod
December 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM
If it had XBL support i'd buy it, otherwise i'd only rent it to play through the campaign once or twice.
If they do like they did with ODST, they'll probably keep Reach's multiplayer (on the same disc with all the current map packs) and have a new campaign.

Donut
December 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM
iv heard people talking about this. theyre saying stuff like "i want there to be a battle rifle or dmr" and "i want to see brutes and drivable wraiths".

really, if there are reach guns, its not a halo 1 remake. if the vehicles and characters are different (drastically and gameplay wise, not like texture wise), it is not a halo 1 remake. if you add stuff like melee lunge and the new melee system we have now in reach, it isnt a halo 1 remake (because the core gameplay is different).
not to sound like a purist, but the more they start changing big things like characters, gun damage and new guns, how vehicles handle, melee damage an lunging, the less halo 1 it is and the more halo-1's-maps-and-story-adapted-to-halo-reach it becomes.

that all being said, if they can manage to recreate the maps (possibly the pc ones too), weapons, vehicles, and the core gameplay elements the way they were in halo 1, add live support (without the leading, preferably :v:), and basically not butcher it into a different game than halo 1, i would buy it in a heartbeat.

fake e: all of the stuff i mentioned up there is just what iv heard people asking for, not things that have been announced. so dont fret yet.
real e: and it would be fucking criminal not to implement live support for this. thats like dangling what all us diehard halo pc/ce fans have been wondering about for years right in front of us, then lighting on fire and slapping us in the balls with arguably the most important part.

Hotrod
December 13th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I'm really torn between whether I want it to be a true Halo 1 remake or a "halo-1's-maps-and-story-adapted-to-halo-reach" like mentionned by Donut. I mean, both would be really great in their own ways. Then again, vehicle boarding seems like a must this time around, as does drivable Wraiths.

What do you think would sell better anyway? A true remake with nothing changed but updated graphics, or a reimagination of Halo 1 with all new Halo Reach features?

Siliconmaster
December 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I'd be perfectly fine with a Halo 1 with improved graphics and just a few of Reach's gameplay mechanics added in. Vehicle boarding, for instance, and drivable wraiths. They can keep out dual wielding, and I'd rather keep out armor abilities. However, I honestly wouldn't be too adverse to keeping a sprint function in. That did always frustrate me sometimes in the earlier games. Even moreso going back to them after playing Reach.

supersniper
December 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM
if they do remake it, they better include all the perks the PC version came with for multiplayer. especially the epic maps

Timo
December 13th, 2010, 06:40 PM
The FRG would be the new(?) grenade launcher of XBL :argh:

Donut
December 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
bungie's games have always had hundreds of customizable options, so i think if theyre going to implement vehicle boarding (which, imo, would throw off the balance of multiplayer), there should be an option to disable it. like a "real classic" setting where it is literally halo 1 with improved graphics. im thinking even changing the vehicle physics would be obnoxious, since there were some strategies that revolved around being able to jump a ghost off of a warthog.

POQPrince
December 13th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I would LOVE to see forge on Halo 1! That would be...epic!

:tinfoil:

DarkHalo003
December 13th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Basically they need to leave the game's AI, Weapon schematics, vehicle schematics, and general simplicity alone while changing the visuals. Oh and Scarabs. Lots and lots of Scarabs....

Kornman00
December 13th, 2010, 10:42 PM
IIRC, Frankie pretty much dismissed this idea the FIRST time it was brought up (this article wasn't the first). HBO covered both articles in their news.

n00b1n8R
December 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I was desperately hoping we'd get to play The Pillar of Autumn again when the credits started playing on reach (the 3rd time I beat the campaign, wtf?).

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Amit
December 14th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Hell yes, finally a halo game worth playing again! lolz, where cmt failed bungie shall finish the job. Now if only this is for PC also, which shouldn't be too far fetched since Microsoft isn't clenching onto their hands anymore

343 Industries is not Bungie. Bungie is done with Halo...for now. Microsoft is clenching on 343 Industries.

I welcome this, but mainly just visual changes and certain gameplay mechanics added from Reach as many others have stated. I hope all the weapons stay the same and maybe add the BR, Carbine, and brute shot.

Warsaw
December 14th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I'm fine with them improving the AI because, let's face it, all of us here can bum-rush through Halo 1 on Legendary without even blinking twice and we can mop up an entire room of grunts, elites, and Jackals in a single graceful, drawn-out action.

As for other game-play mechanics and stuff:
-No two hit melee
-No melee lunge
-No dual wielding
-Boarding is OK, though it better not be too easy
-I'm fine with adding a DMR-type weapon in, otherwise they better make that AR pinpoint accuracy when burst-fired.
-No hitscan
-Three shot kill (when combined with true ballistic projectiles, it actually takes skill to pull off)
-Reworked levels are fine as long as they A.)are bigger B.) still fit with the original ideas and C.) are actually open like the originals and not tunnels with occasional alcoves.
-Grunts speak English again
-Elites don't speak English
-Elites don't have those fucking ridiculous looking head-pieces that they have in Reach
-Sprint, but that's it for abilities

Kornman00
December 14th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I have a better idea: leave Halo 1 alone, release Reach for the PC with an editing kit and let people play the games they want to play. Problem solved!

Warsaw
December 14th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I have a better idea: leave Halo 1 alone, release Reach for the PC with an editing kit and let people play create the games they want to play. Problem solved!

ftfy

:)

Kornman00
December 14th, 2010, 02:17 AM
orite, tyvm +fakerep

ghk
December 14th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I have a better idea: leave Halo 1 alone, release Reach for the PC with an editing kit and let people play the games they want to play. Problem solved!
id be happy with h3 for pc...but i like your idea better

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
December 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM
id be happy with h3 for pc...but i like your idea betterI would be happy with both on PC :)

supersniper
December 14th, 2010, 01:04 PM
to be honest i really hope they don't release them for PC because after the monstrous fail of halo2 i don't even wan tto see what they will do to Halo 3 or Reach

Hotrod
December 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM
What if the game people want to play is a Halo 1 remake with the Reach engine on the 360? ;)

ghk
December 14th, 2010, 05:14 PM
poop on them....theyve had h3,halo wars,odst,and reach all to themselves while us pc'ers have been stuck in halo purgatory
yes...thats right....i dont have an xbox

Hotrod
December 14th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hmm, well I'd be happy either way but I'm not too sure how the Reach engine would run on my computer. Probably quite well, but still... I like my 360 controller and Xbox live.

Kornman00
December 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Probably quite well, but still... I like my 360 controller and Xbox live.
1) USB 360 controller
2) G4WL :downs:

And depending on how different some of the platform specific definitions are in the Reach engine for 360 vs PC, someone could probably port any mods to the 360, so there.

Hotrod
December 14th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah...but all 4 of my controllers are wireless and I don't have the money/desire to go buy a 5th 360 controller :P

And Xbox Live > G4WL

Still, if it did come out only on PC I would be extremely happy about it, and even better if it comes out on both PC and 360. I'm just saying that the 360 offers more than the PC does in some aspects that I find important, notably split-screen playing and not having to worry about performance issues related to hardware.

Pooky
December 15th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I'll buy it if they leave the original gameplay untouched save for bug fixes. IMO, the more Bungie tried to fix Halo, the more they fucked it up. Other long standing series have seen a much needed return to form lately (mario, sonic), it would be nice to see the same happen to Halo.

Also this.

What if the game people want to play is a Halo 1 remake with the Reach engine on the 360? ;)

And this.

I was desperately hoping we'd get to play The Pillar of Autumn again when the credits started playing on reach (the 3rd time I beat the campaign, wtf?).

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

People want this, it could be accomplished with minimal effort, and would make a fuckton of money. I see no reason for it not to happen.

annihilation
December 15th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I would like to see some gameplay changes such as assassinations or armor abilities.
If I wanted to play the same Halo 1 I'd play the original. Better graphics aren't good enough of a selling point for me.

After all, I'd love to experience the Halo CE campaign in an all new way.

L0d3x
December 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Armor abilities and bloom are more of a frustrating addition than they are fun. I complain more about them then I actually cheer out of joy. And even when I use them succesfully it feels cheap.
Most people in my friendslist exhibit similar behaviour. Some of the more hardcore players even went so far as to sell Halo Reach...just because the game feels so random now.

My point is that I don't want to see the original Halo fucked up in a similar way. Halo 1 + Bloom + Armor Abilities = disgusting.

Shock120
December 15th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I believe it's more likely they will release Halo 4 on the next Xbox console, not sure why, but my guess is they are severely limited in what upgrades they can make on the Halo game,
Bungie couldn't make a Halo 3 game with more content than it already has, ODST and Reach are evident of this.

I bet 343 Industries would be lazy like Bungie and use the Lockstep/synchronous model netcode for co-op modes. -_-

I really would like Halo 3 for PC, with a full EK and upgrades to the game engine in general to adjust console limits for the PC, and upgrade the distributed model netcode for full campaign support. /wishlist. :D

Kornman00
December 15th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I bet 343 Industries would be lazy like Bungie and use the Lockstep/synchronous model netcode for co-op modes. -_-
Please tell me you weren't being serious when you posted this. Please.

Shock120
December 15th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Please tell me you weren't being serious when you posted this. Please.I'm hoping for them to actually work on it.
I assumed when Bungie said.

Q. Isn’t there a really quick and easy way for Bungie to crank out a patch that would remove the effects of latency altogether?

A. Unfortunately not. There is a lot of work that goes in to making our distributed multiplayer model run as well as it does. The messages that are passed around to keep the machines states up to date are crafted to minimize bandwidth and support the needed functionality. We simply have never hooked up distributed messages to a lot of the awesomeness that exists in Firefight and co-op campaign. Things like cinematics, AI, combat dialog, let alone making it all run smoothly on a 256K up host. It would be a lot of work, and we are super focused on Reach at the moment. :) (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_100909)I thought they would've sorted it out for Halo Reach. :'(

Lateksi
December 15th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Armor abilities and bloom are more of a frustrating addition than they are fun. I complain more about them then I actually cheer out of joy. And even when I use them succesfully it feels cheap.
Most people in my friendslist exhibit similar behaviour. Some of the more hardcore players even went so far as to sell Halo Reach...just because the game feels so random now.

My point is that I don't want to see the original Halo fucked up in a similar way. Halo 1 + Bloom + Armor Abilities = disgusting.

Are you me?

n00b1n8R
December 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I'll buy it if they leave the original gameplay untouched save for bug fixes. IMO, the more Bungie tried to fix Halo, the more they fucked it up. Other long standing series have seen a much needed return to form lately (mario, sonic), it would be nice to see the same happen to Halo.
Boarding, boost, mele lunge are all things that I thought really improved the Halo series. I'd love to see a H1 remake that incorporated all the best features of the sequels.

ps. Assassinations and armour abilities are cool. If you're playing halo for serious competition, you're playing it for the wrong reasons.

Futzy
December 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I doubt it. We're probably going to be waiting for Bungie's next game and then making a Halo 1 mod out of if it comes out on PC.

Warsaw
December 16th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Boarding, boost, mele lunge are all things that I thought really improved the Halo series. I'd love to see a H1 remake that incorporated all the best features of the sequels.

ps. Assassinations and armour abilities are cool. If you're playing halo for serious competition, you're playing it for the wrong reasons.

No. Just...no.

TeeKup
December 16th, 2010, 01:56 AM
mele lunge
What in fucks name is wrong with you?

Which is why there is a dedicated MLG playlist. Did I forget to mention Halo was one of the reasons that MLG was founded in the first place?

Warsaw
December 16th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Did I forget to mention Halo was one of the reasons that MLG was founded in the first place?

An unfortunate turn of events, I must say. Now they own Bungie.

n00b1n8R
December 16th, 2010, 03:37 AM
MLG being founded on the Halo series is the great irony of the organisation. The game's certainly fun to watch but there's no great skill differentiation like you see with a good competitive game.

What's wrong with melee lunge? I like wacking people.

TeeKup
December 16th, 2010, 10:22 AM
An unfortunate turn of events, I must say. Now they own Bungie.

Indeed...

POQPrince
December 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM
"mele lunge"

IMHO: This is the worst part of the newer Halo games!

For some reason, I always remember this scene when encountering melee freaks on Halo 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

:guns101:

Hotrod
December 16th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Melee lunge wouldn't be so bad if the damage was reduced. Then again, having no melee lunge would be even better.

Botolf
December 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM
If this thing comes out, it's going to ruin the nostalgia goggles forever.

"Wait, this plays a lot like its sequels, and not like the magic-infused daydream I remembered it as? :ohdear:"

n00b1n8R
December 16th, 2010, 04:33 PM
IMHO: This is the worst part of the newer Halo games!

For some reason, I always remember this scene when encountering melee freaks on Halo 3

Melee lunge wouldn't be so bad if the damage was reduced. Then again, having no melee lunge would be even better.

Wait so you hate it because it makes melee useful?

Donut
December 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM
im curious, why are people asking for a DMR for a halo 1 remake? i thought the pistol did that job pretty well.
as far as melee lunge goes, it just feels like bungie pushing their "holy trinity" of guns, melee, and grenades. melee is something youre supposed to fall back on, not a primary weapon. it just feels like people rely on them way too much.

also,

If you're playing halo for serious competition, you're playing it for the wrong reasons.
this is not an excuse to butcher the remake.

Warsaw
December 16th, 2010, 05:02 PM
What's wrong with melee lunge? I like wacking people.

Me too. However, the novelty and satisfaction that are part of the reward of whacking people disappears when it becomes your primary weapon. I like having a reason to use or even carry my guns, thank you. Melee was never supposed to be a weapon to replace your gun, it was supposed to be a finishing move.

EX12693
December 16th, 2010, 05:02 PM
im curious, why are people asking for a DMR for a halo 1 remake? i thought the pistol did that job pretty well.

Because all the kids on the Bungie forums think the pistol would be like the one in Reach instead of the 3sk monster it's supposed to be.
I wish they brought back the pistol like how it was in Halo 1. It was a mid-range headshot weapon, like the BR and DMR, but it was actually FUN, and it took skill to use effectively... *nostalgia*

n00b1n8R
December 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM
If they let you get close enough to whack them, I don't see the issue vOv I use all of the options (melee/grenade/gun) as my primary damage dealer for different situations. Grenades let you hurt people you can't see directly, guns help at any range (even point blank) and melee is great if you get close enough (and quite fun vOv).

this is not an excuse to butcher the remake.
What I'm saying is that Halo 1 was never a serious game either (sorry clanfags!) and nobody should expect it to be.

Warsaw
December 16th, 2010, 09:30 PM
The problem is that now "close enough" is far enough away to be using mid-range weapons effectively. What the fuck?

It's not fun spawning and getting whacked to death within 10 seconds. It's also not fun getting the drop on someone and then being killed because you opened with guns instead of a punch. Basically, whoever gets the first punch wins in Halo now, which is bullshit.

Like I said, melee was originally supposed to be a finisher, used when you were almost done taking out health but ran out of ammunition (generally in both guns) or were up real close and wanted some finesse added to your kill. Now it's just a tool used by wankers who don't feel like learning how to aim straight. If you are stupid enough to throw a punch ten metres out, you should not be rewarded by dashing five to ten metres and smacking me in the gut. What you should get is a smattering of bullets to the face and me T-bagging your lifeless shell.

Donut
December 16th, 2010, 09:30 PM
im curious about your reasoning. what about halo 1 makes it less suited for competitive play compared to halo 2,3, or reach?

btw what exactly do you mean by competitive play? are you talking about public matches or something like MLG and clan wars?
E: @ n00b

n00b1n8R
December 17th, 2010, 12:43 AM
im curious about your reasoning. what about halo 1 makes it less suited for competitive play compared to halo 2,3, or reach?

btw what exactly do you mean by competitive play? are you talking about public matches or something like MLG and clan wars?
E: @ n00b
It's no less competitive than the other games. None of them are well made for serious competitive play. That's what makes organisations such as MLG such a joke (but then, this is the same group who runs WoW PvP tournaments so whatever :allears:). The requirements for pinpoint accuracy and wired reflexes just aren't there like with other games proper competitive games (eg quake, starcraft, etc).

Competitive play is something which puts such a heavy emphasis on skill that there's a pretty obvious distinction between superior players and mere mortals such as ourselves (and then between these pros and true demigods). I play Halo for simple fun. I play SC for a true test of skill (even though I'm horribad!).

The problem is that now "close enough" is far enough away to be using mid-range weapons effectively. What the fuck?

It's not fun spawning and getting whacked to death within 10 seconds. It's also not fun getting the drop on someone and then being killed because you opened with guns instead of a punch. Basically, whoever gets the first punch wins in Halo now, which is bullshit.

Like I said, melee was originally supposed to be a finisher, used when you were almost done taking out health but ran out of ammunition (generally in both guns) or were up real close and wanted some finesse added to your kill. Now it's just a tool used by wankers who don't feel like learning how to aim straight. If you are stupid enough to throw a punch ten metres out, you should not be rewarded by dashing five to ten metres and smacking me in the gut. What you should get is a smattering of bullets to the face and me T-bagging your lifeless shell.

Where was it stated that melee was a finisher? You've obviously never seen me play H1. I deliberately run at people to get into melee range. The addition of lunge helps that playstyle so I'm totally cool with it :downs:

Mid range weapons are ofcourse going to be useful at close range but I mustn't be playing the same game as you if you're saying the lunge in this game extends past 3-4 meters. Dying from melee is just as legitimate as dying from a sniper on the other side of the map.

Rook
December 17th, 2010, 12:55 AM
It'd be interesting to see what it looks like but I honestly don't give two shits if it isn't on PC.

Warsaw
December 17th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Where was it stated that melee was a finisher? You've obviously never seen me play H1. I deliberately run at people to get into melee range. The addition of lunge helps that playstyle so I'm totally cool with it :downs:

Mid range weapons are ofcourse going to be useful at close range but I mustn't be playing the same game as you if you're saying the lunge in this game extends past 3-4 meters. Dying from melee is just as legitimate as dying from a sniper on the other side of the map.

So you are the type of player I mercilessly gunned down and blew up with grenades in Halo 1 for being a retard trying to get into melee range all of the time? There's a reason it's not a very efficient play style in the first game. It's evident in the way melee works in the first game that it was supposed to be a finisher. It doesn't do enough damage to bring down all of a player's health in a single blow, to say nothing of depleting shields. The fact that it lacked lunge meant you had to actually consider when it was appropriate to use it and when it wasn't. Appropriate situations are assassinations, weakening moves, and finishing moves. By itself, it's nearly worthless. Now all you have to do is get within 10 metres and smash "B". Yeah. That takes skill. It also makes it NOT fun for those who don't like the button-masher melee play style. Your type is not the only playstyle, hth. :v:

It isn't legitimate unless they were within 1.5 metres. You can't dash 4-5 metres in a blink of an eye and clobber me in real life, and since certain games (such as Halo) are supposed to be roughly analogous of reality, why should it work there? Bullshit. You want to play as a melee-type, then you can be crafty in your movements and actually put some effort into playing. As it is , you are basically spoon-fed your kills.

Cortexian
December 17th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Don't give a crap about consoles, haven't even played Reach yet because I just don't care. Heck, I didn't even realize it was released until I saw a Facebook post from my friend saying he beat it.

PC or bust.

Pooky
December 17th, 2010, 05:04 AM
IMHO: This is the worst part of every new fps!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick to death of every new FPS having overpowered melee attacks with massive lunge (looking at you, call of duty). It was a terrible idea to start with, and it's terrible now.

Spartan094
December 17th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick to death of every new FPS having overpowered melee attacks with massive lunge (looking at you, call of duty). It was a terrible idea to start with, and it's terrible now.
Call of Duty didn't really have 1 hit melee kills/knife kills until CoD 4. Well I noticed one hit kills in CoD 4 and above, anything below I remember having to melee 2 or 3 times with the but of your gun since CoD 1-3 did that.

Shock120
December 17th, 2010, 07:08 AM
It'd be interesting to see what it looks like but I honestly don't give two shits if it isn't on PC.This.

n00b1n8R
December 17th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Long range melee insta-kills are fucking retarded. I'm not denying this. (unless it's an entire weapon slot taken for it, aka - Energy Sword)

So you are the type of player I mercilessly gunned down and blew up with grenades in Halo 1 for being a retard trying to get into melee range all of the time?
If you're suggesting I ran straight at people and didn't fire my gun on the way in, you just went full retard.

There's a reason it's not a very efficient play style in the first game. lol It's evident in the way melee works in the first game that it was supposed to be a finisher. It doesn't do enough damage to bring down all of a player's health in a single blow, to say nothing of depleting shields. Jump + Whack more or less drops shields and it's fun to do! The fact that it lacked lunge meant you had to actually consider when it was appropriate to use it and when it wasn't. Appropriate situations are assassinations, weakening moves, and finishing moves. Hence the focus on using it to finish people or better yet, make them backpedal into a delicious nade-friendly corner :q: By itself, it's nearly worthless. Now all you have to do is get within 10 metres and smash "B". Yeah. That takes skill. Halo isn't about skill silly! It also makes it NOT fun for those who don't like the button-masher melee play style. Your type is not the only playstyle, hth. :v: No but it's the one favoured by increased melee range so of course I'm going to have a positive subjective opinion about it :downs:

Lets say for sake of argument that I was instead a DMR whore (and in fact this is true for any open area I find myself in where there's no practical way to abuse melee). I'm going to 1- Believe having long range precision fire weapons (dohoho console controllers) is a good thing and 2 - Want to use this tactic in a setting which favours it over other styles. If you want it to work in all settings then apparently you're incapable of adapting and you must be some kind of baddy D:

It isn't legitimate unless they were within 1.5 metres. You can't dash 4-5 metres in a blink of an eye and clobber me in real life, and since certain games (such as Halo) are supposed to be roughly analogous of reality, why should it work there? Bullshit. I don't know about you but I'm not a brain washed augmented super soldier in a state of the art performance enhancing suit built 500 years in the future! You want to play as a melee-type, then you can be crafty in your movements and actually put some effort into playing. As it is , you are basically spoon-fed your kills.

POQPrince
December 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Long range melee insta-kills are fucking retarded. I'm not denying this. (unless it's an entire weapon slot taken for it, aka - Energy Sword)

That's just the point: Melee has become the weapon of choice for Halo 3+ on the consoles. It is one of the reasons that I hardly play Multiplayer on the Xbox 360 -- which is the main reason I bought the console to begin with. If you are playing a small map...melees sometimes account for half of all kills.

Melees should be in kiddy games like Super Smash Brothers...and NOT Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield Bad Company, etc... Those who rely on them as a kill strategy are almost as annoying as this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u3Ga2KV_TY

:hist101:

Heathen
December 17th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Awesome.

Warsaw
December 17th, 2010, 05:57 PM
A game doesn't have to be about skill to take skill. Why don't they just auto-lock my crosshairs onto every target and shoot for me while they are at it?

You missed the part about everyone else also being augmented super-soldiers wearing state of the art performance-enhancing suits built 500 years in the future. You also didn't put two and two together with everything else. If you are firing your gun while trying to close for a melee finish, that is not a melee play-style. That's using melee the way it was originally intended. Also, if you smack me with full shields in Halo 1, I still have at least 25% left, which means I still have a good chance to kill you. That means you just went full retard for trying to hit me when I had full shields up because now you are going to get a plasma to the face or a shotgun blast to the gut. Furthermore, they didn't give it a focus on being a finisher for all subsequent games, they took that focus away. It's so powerful now all you have to do is run up to anybody who doesn't have a 1-hit-kill weapon and smack him twice in rapid succession (because not only did they overpower melee, they also made the attacks very fast). That's not a finisher.

Not to sound conceited, but there is no one gun or playstyle I whore in Halo, because that is boring. I would say that I have a more objective view of the game because of that. When a game that stresses having options forces everyone to adopt the same play style to have any chance of winning, that means it's broken. Even close quarters maps force you to either be a melee whore or a DMR spammer. You want to roll with a plasma repeater, assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, needler, concussion rifle, etc.? Fuck you, you can be dead!

That shit is why I don't play Reach online anymore. It's not fun. I can go on melee streaks, but I don't enjoy it. I want to have a reason to hear those beautiful gunshot sounds that they worked on.

ghk
December 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM
agreed...and what with that dumb ass perk that lets you melee someone from 10 ft away...

TeeKup
December 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM
A game doesn't have to be about skill to take skill. Why don't they just auto-lock my crosshairs onto every target and shoot for me while they are at it?

You missed the part about everyone else also being augmented super-soldiers wearing state of the art performance-enhancing suits built 500 years in the future. You also didn't put two and two together with everything else. If you are firing your gun while trying to close for a melee finish, that is not a melee play-style. That's using melee the way it was originally intended. Also, if you smack me with full shields in Halo 1, I still have at least 25% left, which means I still have a good chance to kill you. That means you just went full retard for trying to hit me when I had full shields up because now you are going to get a plasma to the face or a shotgun blast to the gut. Furthermore, they didn't give it a focus on being a finisher for all subsequent games, they took that focus away. It's so powerful now all you have to do is run up to anybody who doesn't have a 1-hit-kill weapon and smack him twice in rapid succession (because not only did they overpower melee, they also made the attacks very fast). That's not a finisher.

Not to sound conceited, but there is no one gun or playstyle I whore in Halo, because that is boring. I would say that I have a more objective view of the game because of that. When a game that stresses having options forces everyone to adopt the same play style to have any chance of winning, that means it's broken. Even close quarters maps force you to either be a melee whore or a DMR spammer. You want to roll with a plasma repeater, assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, needler, concussion rifle, etc.? Fuck you, you can be dead!

That shit is why I don't play Reach online anymore. It's not fun. I can go on melee streaks, but I don't enjoy it. I want to have a reason to hear those beautiful gunshot sounds that they worked on.

I love you.

Donut
December 17th, 2010, 09:36 PM
n00b im looking at your argument, and im not seeing anything specific. youre telling me aiming isnt as difficult as it is in quake (and id agree with that), but there is still an emphasis on team based gameplay if youre really going for competitive play. im looking for what SPECIFIC things in halo 1 make it unsuitable for competitive play.

responses like this:

Now all you have to do is get within 10 metres and smash "B". Yeah. That takes skill. Halo isn't about skill silly! It also makes it NOT fun for those who don't like the button-masher melee play style. Your type is not the only playstyle, hth. :v: No but it's the one favoured by increased melee range so of course I'm going to have a positive subjective opinion about it :downs:
are ridiculous in this conversation. we are talking about melee lunge and increased damage turning it into a primary weapon. you even admitted that you ABUSE melee in any situation that allows it. im not insulting the way you choose to play, but the fact that melee is abusable that way in the first place is the issue we are talking about here.
again, im not attacking your choice of gameplay style, im criticizing the fact that the melee one you choose exists. like i said before, just because you think halo isnt about skill doesnt mean the game should have these over-powered "noob friendly" alternatives to aiming.

SnaFuBAR
December 17th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I doubt this will happen.

n00b1n8R
December 17th, 2010, 10:44 PM
A game doesn't have to be about skill to take skill. Didn't say it takes no skill. I was saying the skill-curve isn't as steep and the skill ceiling is lower. Why don't they just auto-lock my crosshairs onto every target and shoot for me while they are at it?

You missed the part about everyone else also being augmented super-soldiers wearing state of the art performance-enhancing suits built 500 years in the future. what the hell are you saying here? You also didn't put two and two together with everything else. If you are firing your gun while trying to close for a melee finish, that is not a melee play-style. I never said it was a finisher :S That's using melee the way it was originally intended. Also, if you smack me with full shields in Halo 1, I still have at least 25% left, which means I still have a good chance to kill you. The time taken by the melee animation (on appropriate weapons) is well worth the un-used firing time. That means you just went full retard for trying to hit me when I had full shields up because now you are going to get a plasma to the face or a shotgun blast to the gut. EVERYBODY KNOWS ITS SMART TO MELEE SOMEBODY WITH A SHOTGUN :neckbeard: Furthermore, they didn't give it a focus on being a finisher for all subsequent games, they took that focus away. It's so powerful now all you have to do is run up to anybody Who let you run at them who doesn't have a 1-hit-kill weapon and smack him twice in rapid succession (because not only did they overpower melee, they also made the attacks very fast). That's not a finisher. Really never felt like a finisher to me so vOv

Not to sound conceited, but there is no one gun or playstyle I whore in Halo, because that is boring. As would any competent player, I imagine you have a preferred one though. I would say that I have a more objective view of the game because of that. When a game that stresses having options forces everyone to adopt the same play style to have any chance of winning, that means it's broken. Even close quarters maps force you to either be a melee whore or a DMR spammer. You want to roll with a plasma repeater, assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, needler, concussion rifle, etc.? Fuck you, you can be dead! I do anyway though. Never played reach on LIVE but at LAN's I use most guns vOv It's not like melee is weapon-specific anyway.

n00b im looking at your argument, and im not seeing anything specific. youre telling me aiming isnt as difficult as it is in quake (and id agree with that) intentional? , but there is still an emphasis on team based gameplay if youre really going for competitive play. im looking for what SPECIFIC things in halo 1 make it unsuitable for competitive play.

I'm not really being specific. You can play anything competitively but I'm saying there's better suited alternatives compared to Halo.

responses like this:
:quote:
are ridiculous in this conversation. we are talking about melee lunge and increased damage turning it into a primary weapon. you even admitted that you ABUSE melee in any situation that allows it. im not insulting the way you choose to play, but the fact that melee is abusable that way in the first place is the issue we are talking about here.
again, im not attacking your choice of gameplay style, im criticising the fact that the melee one you choose exists. like i said before, just because you think halo isnt about skill doesn't mean the game should have these over-powered "noob friendly" alternatives to aiming.

I suppose what the addition of melee lunge did to the Halo series is effectively give all players an additional 3rd close range weapon. A melee attack is still inferior to purpose built short range weapons however. If somebody tries to go melee with somebody who's holding a shotgun, that's pretty obviously a bad move. But if you've got nothing else to use properly at that range and no way out, it's quite appropriate.

To use it effectively as a primary however, you have to deliberaly close that gap and target people you can get away with it on. I exaggerated when I said my playstyle was all about it. It's more that I'd much prefer use melee at close range given the opportunity. It's just more fun for me :p

Abuse was used in the same way one would abuse any weapon, like running people over in Banshees, it's just the nature of the game. It may be easier for some players to get kills by mainly using melee as a primary weapon but they'll obviously never do as well as people who get a solid grasp of all aspects (eg, using guns!). It's never felt cheap to me to be killed by melee because I let them get that close and I'd have done the same thing given the chance.

This got written over a few hours so hopefully it's not too sporadic :v:

Pooky
December 17th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Call of Duty didn't really have 1 hit melee kills/knife kills until CoD 4. Well I noticed one hit kills in CoD 4 and above, anything below I remember having to melee 2 or 3 times with the but of your gun since CoD 1-3 did that.

I said every NEW fps, also CoD has had 1 hit kill melees at least since CoD 2, the lunge didn't get started till 4 though.

Warsaw
December 17th, 2010, 11:49 PM
n00b1n8R, go re-read the post before your last one very slowly, then re-read mine. If you still can't see what the relation of my response is, then I don't really have anything more to say.

annihilation
December 18th, 2010, 12:41 AM
It's never felt cheap to me to be killed by melee because I let them get that close and I'd have done the same thing given the chance.

Melee lunge only makes it worse.

n00b1n8R
December 18th, 2010, 05:42 AM
n00b1n8R, go re-read the post before your last one very slowly, then re-read mine. If you still can't see what the relation of my response is, then I don't really have anything more to say.
Ok, just a sec

This.
uh

Melee lunge only makes it worse.
But saying it's a bad thing is entirely subjective. I let them do it, it's entirely my fault.

Llama Juice
December 18th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I miss in Halo 1 when you could hit Melee, Grenade, Melee (BLB) and kill someone instantly.

I miss in Halo 2 how you could melee, reload, melee,(BXB) or melee, reload, and shoot(BXR) with any headshot weapon.

Oh wait, Halo has always had ways to abuse melee.

I think the problem you guys have with melee is that you're all just butthurt about the assassination animations. Keep an eye on that radar, or use armor lock and teamwork to avoid melee deaths. Take the game less seriously and you'll have a LOT more fun with it.

Or go play Counter Strike.

The competitive play comes into place when you have crazy awesome teamwork. Halo puts so much emphasis on how strong the player is, and makes you FEEL strong, so you feel like you don't really NEED a team. But if you're rolling with a proper team who can assist fire and call stuff out properly it changes everything.

Same thing in Halo 3, same thing in Halo 2, same thing in Halo 1. That's where the competitive play is and the skill curve is, is just with teamwork.

That being said, I don't care enough about Reach to dedicate the time to become that great at it, because that's just stressful. I just shoot kids, punch kids, and toss nades at em. Don't get all butthurt when you get beat down because YOU didn't check your radar, or because YOU didn't adapt to the situation. It's YOUR fault that you died, not Bungie's. If you see someone coming up to you to melee you, guess what?... YOU CAN PUNCH THEM TOO.

tl;dr
From an actual design standpoint...

I'd say the melee lunge is there because it's very difficult to tell precise distances in 3D space when you see this 3D space on a 2D plane. Your brain can't use it's normal ways of determining distance using depth and so you have to rely on size of objects in relation to the objects around them which is a lot less accurate. The lunge helps bridge that gap and that's why it's become so successful and common of a gameplay mechanic.

POQPrince
December 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM
From an actual design standpoint...

I'd say the melee lunge is there because it's very difficult to tell precise distances in 3D space when you see this 3D space on a 2D plane. Your brain can't use it's normal ways of determining distance using depth and so you have to rely on size of objects in relation to the objects around them which is a lot less accurate. The lunge helps bridge that gap and that's why it's become so successful and common of a gameplay mechanic.

I don't know.

I agree with others that it is the addition of the lunge that makes the melee so...disappointing. The lunge melee in Halo 3+ seems to almost be like the energy sword in Halo 2 -- but with no need to actually hold the sword. I was shocked when I first began playing Halo 3 multiplayer and got lunge melee'ed to death in small maps. There doesn't seem to be any real need for close range weapons if you can just run around lunge meleeing people to death (and the lunge melee is more effective).

Don't get me wrong: I don't mind the lunge or the melee. I just wish that they were more...realistic. Perhaps the lunge strike could be at a smaller distance...and the melee not so powerful unless you jump and strike in the neck? IMHO, these one melee strike kills of enemy that are WEARING SPARTAN ARMOUR is just silly.

:eng101:

Rosco
December 18th, 2010, 05:23 PM

i doubt your face will happen, but it did so this game is more than likely to be re-released for the now period and ruined ;)

Donut
December 18th, 2010, 05:30 PM
llama, the things you listed for halo 1 and 2 were glitches. melee lunge is not a glitch, its an intended feature. i know you can melee, throw a grenade, then melee right away again in halo 1, but that wasnt intentional. this conversation is about INTENTIONAL things bungie has done with melee.

speaking of which, it would be nice to see that glitch fixed if they do make this.

Warsaw
December 18th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Besides, I have never been killed by that glitch (Halo 1), ever. Why? Because the fucker who tried to do it was already out of shields and half health before he finally got into range to do it. He was then beat to death by my assault rifle butt.

In Halo 1, EVERYTHING had a counter if you kept your wits. In all the subsequent titles, you have set situations that you can't get out of even with creative thinking. Over-engineering. I think I've said this before.

Also, I love the assassination animations. Those have absolutely nothing to do with it.

n00b1n8R
December 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
In Halo 1, EVERYTHING had a counter if you kept your wits. In all the subsequent titles, you have set situations that you can't get out of even with creative thinking. Over-engineering. I think I've said this before.
What do you mean by a counter? :S This isn't scissors paper rock mate.

Warsaw
December 19th, 2010, 02:59 AM
You could get out of any situation in Halo 1 if you were quick on your feet or made creative use of your resources. Halo 2-Reach actually IS a glorified Rock-Paper-Scissors. You have this and he has that? You win. He has this and you have that? He wins.

n00b1n8R
December 19th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Explain how to get out of being corned by a guy with a rocket in Halo 1.
Explain how you having a needler lets you creatively deal with somebody with a sniper at long range.

There were always situations where one person was favoured. Being good at the game meant positioning yourself into those favourable positions more often than most. Same with any game :downs:

Warsaw
December 19th, 2010, 04:56 AM
No 1: Easy. Jump. If you time it properly, the rocket will only do half damage. I'm assuming you've already been shooting at him this whole time, so you should be able to knock him down with a well-placed grenade or shot to the head.

Sniper at long range? L2 strafe erratically. Take potshots at him when you can to de-scope him while you close. Best course of action is to simply get out of sight and flank. Because the sniper in Halo 1 wasn't an instant hit to the head, you can actually do this.

All that is academic though. You are choosing to ignore the point. You can't get out of any situation in the newer Halos. You either have scissors to paper or you die.

Llama Juice
December 19th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Or you have armor lock and a teammate to help you.

The game becomes something entirely different when you actually use teamwork.

n00b1n8R
December 19th, 2010, 07:24 AM
All that is academic though. You are choosing to ignore the point. You can't get out of any situation in the newer Halos. You either have scissors to paper or you die.
I honestly think you're the one ignoring the point. There's no more of a P/S/R system in Reach as there is in any other Halo game. It just sounds like you're making excuses for refusing to adapt to a sequel not being identical. If it's a problem for everybody, it's a problem for nobody.

(not that it was a problem for me and many others to begin with!)

Donut
December 19th, 2010, 11:09 AM
ill probably stand alone on this one, but i think reach is alot more fair than halo 3 with that paper scissors rock situation. it might just be because i havent played it as much as i played 3, but i found myself in so many situations in 3 where a ghost was viciously destroying everything, and the only hope of stopping it is either to stick it (which wont kill it on last resort, because lol spike grenades are terrible) or EMP it. or on sand trap if somebody grabs the laser and one of their team mates is in a vehicle, you are absolutely fucked, unless you can get like 3 plasmas stuck to their vehicle. trip mines are useless. at least in reach the sniper rifle can do a decent amount of damage to vehicles and armor lock allows you to have a built in defense against some vehicle whoring.

im with warsaw on halo 1's weapon balance though. everybody spawned with a pistol, and damage to vehicles leaked to the driver (and the pistol was very potent in that regard). if youre getting sniped and cant do anything to the other person, its because theyre on the other side of the map, which usually means you can use the map to your advantage and break the line of sight. if the sniper gets any closer, you can pistol them. dont have a pistol? assault rifle burst firing or the shotgun can atleast cause minimal damage to pop them out of the scope. you could throw a grenade too, but the point is, unless its an extreme situation like rockets in the corner or needler vs sniiper (and if you do that second one without keeping something better as a secondary, you deserve to get killed), you can usually improvise until you can get closer to do some real damage.
in halo 3, the assault rifle just didnt hit past a certain distance, and sometimes you just couldnt get a battle rifle to try to scope pop somebody whos sniping. basically, unless you had a battle rifle or carbine, you were fucked. whats the difference? in quite a few gametypes you dont start with brs, and most other weapons (looking at you shotgun) just dont do anything past a certain range. like i said, i havent really played enough reach to know exactly if this happens the same way in reach, but it suffices to say that sort of thing just doesnt happen in halo 1 unless youre at extreme range.

thats addressing the sniper situation. i could go on about weapon changes, since the shotgun nerfing is a whole rant on its own. as far as a sequel being different, thats perfectly fine, but the issue here is if they put those new gameplay mechanics into this remake.

E: and llama definitely has a valid point. having somebody to watch your back and shoot targets with in halo completely changes how you use weapons and what you use. everything i typed is from a solo perspective.

DEElekgolo
December 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Don't touch halo 1.

Hotrod
December 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Don't touch halo 1.
So many people would pay to have a remake of Halo 1, whether it's touched or not. It's a logical business choice on their part to do it.

iizahsum
December 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Don't touch halo 1.

+rep

Warsaw
December 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM
it might just be because i havent played it as much as i played 3,

That would probably explain it, then. You don't have the same experience with the older game as me, and so we aren't seeing the same thing. Suffice it to say, were you an oldfag on Halo 1, you might notice that when you made the transition to the newer games, everything got easy. There was no more having to try at the game to win.

Kornman00
December 20th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Don't touch halo 1.
CMT did :ohdear:

This thread has been going no where for 2 pages (w/ 20ppp). Can't you guys just agree to fucking disagree? Just face that neither of you will change the other's mind and get on with you lives.

Llama Juice
December 20th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Korn... welcome to Modacity/the internet/forums.

Pooky
December 21st, 2010, 01:48 AM
CMT did :ohdear:

This thread has been going no where for 2 pages (w/ 20ppp). Can't you guys just agree to fucking disagree? Just face that neither of you will change the other's mind and get on with you lives.

Just because you'll never agree, doesn't mean there's nothing to be gained from arguing. Without conflict, there is only stagnation.

=sw=warlord
December 21st, 2010, 05:27 AM
Without conflict, there is only stagnation.
Without conflict, there is peace.

TeeKup
December 21st, 2010, 09:17 AM
I believe the proper term would be Competition instead of conflict. The more ideas that are bounced off and discussed the more progress and change can be made.

Con
December 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
I'm all for seeing a remake. We'll always have our classic game, but I want to see some fresh ideas brought into it. Basically what korn said about CMT.

ZeRk`
December 21st, 2010, 09:19 PM

Or if it happens they'll fuck it up beyond belief.

HPC4L

Hotrod
December 22nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
I'm all for seeing a remake. We'll always have our classic game, but I want to see some fresh ideas brought into it. Basically what korn said about CMT.
Pretty much this. If I want to play Halo 1 in it's original awesomeness, I still have Halo 1 that I can go to. I mean, look at all the good single player mods out there (such as CMT, ASCM, etc...) They change up the campaign a lot, but does it ruin the game? Not at all, it actually makes it quite enjoyable if you ask me.

xalener
December 22nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm all for a game with more detailed models, bigger textures, better animations (and better transitions), and online play.

DO NOT FUCKING CHANGE THE GAMEPLAY ONE IOTA.

also, I will not pay full price for it :/

PlasbianX
December 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/12/22/343-industries-hiring-for-next-halo-project.aspx

DarkHalo003
December 22nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
I'm all for a game with more detailed models, bigger textures, better animations (and better transitions), and online play.

DO NOT FUCKING CHANGE THE GAMEPLAY ONE IOTA.

also, I will not pay full price for it :/
I'll agree with the first sentence.

I think they need to change the Pistol to Reach's 5sk.

People who say this drive me insane. It's not like they're just going to swap out models, anims, and textures while calling it CE2.

If any of us 17+ year-olds applied, do you think we'd be hired? Considering the talent this forum has, I wouldn't be surprised.

Pooky
December 22nd, 2010, 08:16 PM

I...

I just...

NO.

Kornman00
December 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/12/22/343-industries-hiring-for-next-halo-project.aspx
A lot of those positions aren't new and they didn't just start ramping up. Big CEO Suits probably told them to start making more of an effort in hiring maybe, but this isn't new.

Arteen
December 22nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Yep. 343i has been hiring for months.

Higuy
December 22nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'd go for Mission Designer...

Donut
December 22nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
That would probably explain it, then. You don't have the same experience with the older game as me, and so we aren't seeing the same thing. Suffice it to say, were you an oldfag on Halo 1, you might notice that when you made the transition to the newer games, everything got easy. There was no more having to try at the game to win.
just to be clear, i was saying i havent played as much REACH as iv played halo 3. iv probably played an equal amount of halo 1 as i have 3, if not more. i was agreeing with you too btw.

TeeKup
December 23rd, 2010, 09:32 AM

IF They are remaiking Halo: CE, THE ONLY THINGS, they need to do are:

Update Graphics

Update Physics.

.......That's it. Leave the tags alone (..lol..) Don't touch anything.

=sw=warlord
December 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM

Update Graphics

Update Physics.

Plus add matchmaking, Forge, Theater and Firefight with random parts of the campaign used for the firefight maps.
Firefight on the control room tower? Yes please.

Higuy
December 23rd, 2010, 02:35 PM

Lodex did that and released the map a while ago, just a fyi if you want to play it.

Sanctus
December 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Plus add matchmaking, Forge, Theater and Firefight with random parts of the campaign used for the firefight maps.

Of course those features.

TeeKup
December 23rd, 2010, 05:53 PM
Well yeah Theatre, Forge, and Firefight....

Arteen
December 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM

Update Graphics

Update Physics.

You want them to leave everything alone except the physics? The crazy physics of the original game are what made it unique.

Personally, I'd rather them do a real remake, not just a graphical update. If I want to play the original, there's Halo PC, Halo CE, the original Xbox disk, and the Xbox Originals version on the XBL Marketplace. I want to see improvement like the original Metroid to Metroid: Zero Mission, which kept the same general flow and layout, but modernized the gameplay and storytelling, and added new content. Anything else is a waste of effort.

=sw=warlord
December 23rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Lodex did that and released the map a while ago, just a fyi if you want to play it.

The firefight in CE maps and real firefight are a little too different for my tastes.

DarkHalo003
December 23rd, 2010, 09:00 PM
I...

I just...

NO.
I know the pistol was cool in CE because of 3sk, but are you serious? Can you honestly say that a 3sk Pistol like it is in CE could be somewhat decent in a modern XBL setting? Does a 3sk for a PISTOL make any sense for multiplayer design and balance? If this isn't a case of personal preference and nostalgia over the logistics of balance, then I honestly can't figure out why the 5sk Pistol is a bad thing.

Warsaw
December 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
just to be clear, i was saying i havent played as much REACH as iv played halo 3. iv probably played an equal amount of halo 1 as i have 3, if not more. i was agreeing with you too btw.

Shit, I thought that quote was from n00b1n8r. I think I had been up for 36 hours that day. Sorry dude.

Pooky
December 24th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I know the pistol was cool in CE because of 3sk, but are you serious? Can you honestly say that a 3sk Pistol like it is in CE could be somewhat decent in a modern XBL setting? Does a 3sk for a PISTOL make any sense for multiplayer design and balance? If this isn't a case of personal preference and nostalgia over the logistics of balance, then I honestly can't figure out why the 5sk Pistol is a bad thing.

3sk pistol in Halo 1 isn't unbalanced, because all the other guns don't suck. Halo 2, 3 and Reach all suffered to various degrees from overbalancing, where they made everything else shitty thus making the midrange headshot weapon the best choice for any situation.

ejburke
December 24th, 2010, 04:11 AM
A shitty game can be perfectly balanced and a great game can be unbalanced. Good design is about intuitive leaps and happy accidents. If all a designer understands is the naked attributes of damage, rate of fire, and bullet error, then he can't see the forest for the trees.

The bottom line is that people expect an awesome pistol. It had better be awesome. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Rook
December 24th, 2010, 05:52 AM

How was it unbalanced when everyone spawned with it? Snipers for long range still outclassed it and at very close range it's not a bad idea to pull out the assault rifle. People that bitch about the pistol either can't aim with it or are too dumb to realize without it being like that halo 1 or any remake of it would blow dicks.

DarkHalo003
December 24th, 2010, 12:50 PM
How was it unbalanced when everyone spawned with it? Snipers for long range still outclassed it and at very close range it's not a bad idea to pull out the assault rifle. People that bitch about the pistol either can't aim with it or are too dumb to realize without it being like that halo 1 or any remake of it would blow dicks.
Look, I'm not saying that it's bad for Halo 1/PC, but for an XBL scenario it just doesn't seem appropriate. What is wrong with the 5sk? The Pistol as it is in Reach is better than the Pistol in CE in my opinion simply because you can wipe the floor with almost any scenario if you're skilled with it. That means, you need to have skill to use it to be good with it. The HaloCE pistol simply was having a 3sk Headshot with Autoaim, which is why it was a decent weapon. No one ever used the scope on a regular basis. If you do, I commend you for using another function besides the autoaim and semi-auto trigger the weapon. I think Reach's weapons are balanced perfectly fine, but are usually dismissed upon other things such as bloom for headshot weapons and double melee. That's all I really have to say.

Pooky
December 24th, 2010, 12:53 PM

^ The pistol is the perfect spawning weapon because it means that you're absolutely never helpless. Halo 2 and 3 sucked horse dick when spawning with standard weapons because you had no ability to engage people more than 3 feet away. The DMR was obnoxious because unlike the pistol it's hitscan with 100% accuracy on the first shot, meaning that it's absolutely impossible to dodge or avoid it once you've been targeted if the person shooting at you is even remotely skilled.

All the other weapons have their uses (yes, even the Needler) and are used over the pistol when appropriate.

ejburke
December 24th, 2010, 01:06 PM
It doesn't have to be the same pistol. It just has to live up to the legacy. If they know what they're doing, they'll bring back the exploding rounds.

I don't have high hopes that they know what they're doing.

Ki11a_FTW
December 24th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I havent posted here in around a year, but ive always thought about them doing something like this when halo 3 came out, so this would probably convince me to buy a 360 again. I'd like to see a lot of things included that were originally planned to be in the game aswell.. Of course it would be important to keep the main weapon and vehicle system intact, but it would be nice to see boarding included, aswell as the wraith drivable for once. The characters should obviously stay the same, no new enemies or anything, but the AI themselve's are going to be a lot smarter, id like to see how this would change the game expierience

iizahsum
December 24th, 2010, 05:19 PM
No more killing Johnson for his ammo :/

ejburke
December 24th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Oh shit. I don't think I can take another Halo game with invincible friendlies. That is just the worst.

Arteen
December 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Invincible allies with armor lock is the worst.

DarkHalo003
December 24th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Invincible allies with armor lock is the worst.
Although Jorge's was the coolest. But I hate how the AI armor-locks whenever they were Needle-Rifled. That was annoying, especially when they had full shields.

Siliconmaster
December 24th, 2010, 06:58 PM
*Shrug* I had no issues with it. I'd rather have friendlies who never die than friendlies who always die. At least then I wasn't totally on my own on Legendary.

ejburke
December 24th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Being sole survivor is the hallmark of a badass. It doesn't do much for my enjoyment when I look over and see an ally sponging bullets and doing absolutely nothing. I'm just slowing you down, Emile. Go on ahead and use that shotgun at an effective range. Clearly, whether I live or die is unimportant. You will carry on until you are scripted to die.

How the Hell did Kat survive everything, but then get offed by a stray needle round when she had full shields? Somebody needs to rethink this fucking approach.

Merry Christmas!

Heathen
December 24th, 2010, 08:14 PM
14 Pages. Any new information? Because of all the Halo fan fiction in here I cba to read the whole thread for little updates.

Delta4907
December 24th, 2010, 10:12 PM
How the Hell did Kat survive everything, but then get offed by a stray needle round when she had full shields? Somebody needs to rethink this fucking approach.

The common theory is that the blast from the glassing caused everyone's shields to go out, and you have to manually restart it. Kat mentions it was her first glassing, and supposedly never restarted her shields, so the needle penetrated her helmet and killed her.

I preferred how in Halo 3, after taking enough damage, Arbiter would be knocked out until the enemies in the area were cleared. In fact, I'll go on and say having the Arbiter as an ally was a lot better than having the entirety of Noble Team, at least most of the time.

Pooky
December 24th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Merry Christmas!

I always thought that scene would have been better if they gave the Beam Rifle a little cameo there, like the BR in ODST.

The common theory is that the blast from the glassing caused everyone's shields to go out, and you have to manually restart it. Kat mentions it was her first glassing, and supposedly never restarted her shields, so the needle penetrated her helmet and killed her.

That theory is also shit, because you never seen any shields flaring, popping, or sparking in that entire scene. They didn't think it through at all.

ejburke
December 24th, 2010, 10:59 PM
What's funny is that I watched the "Legendary Commentary" on YouTube and they remarked that it was important for them to carry over details from the gameplay (shields) into the cut scenes. Like, when Emile gets the sword in the back, you can see his shield popping.

I would be okay with that restart theory if Bungie had at least paid it some lip service. They didn't have to go into a long explanation. Just a line, an utterance, a clue. Either they didn't think of it or they didn't want any exposition to intrude on their little moment. They always overestimate the impact of their little moments.

ZeRk`
December 24th, 2010, 11:09 PM
All the other weapons have their uses (yes, even the Needler) and are used over the pistol when appropriate.

I don't know about you bro but whenever I played (competitiveLOL) halo the ONLY weapons I used were the pistol, assault rifle, sniper, frg and rocks. Maybe the needler sometimes for shits and giggles.

Actually I guess the only 2 other weapons are the plasma's. Nevermind

Warsaw
December 31st, 2010, 04:02 PM
Plasma weapons had their uses, too. You can stun the opponent while you close in for a melee kill.

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
December 31st, 2010, 06:02 PM
And to drop shields in non pistol starts games. That's about 2% of all online games.

Personally I think they had made the pistol too overpowered in H1. The reason was that the pistol could kill in any situation with ease in a skilled player's hands. For example: one player has a shotgun and the other a pistol. Pistol has a ROF of 3.5 shots per second. Shotgun has a ROF of 1 shot per second. Provided that the first shotgun hit does not kill but the second one would, and the pistol guy gets a headshot on the 3rd shot, the pistol guy gets the kill.
Lets imagine the pistol is a 4sk, and imagine the example above again. Now, the shotgun guy will nearly always win, even if the first shot doesn't kill the pistol guy, making it more fair and actually incorperates strategy, and not just a mad rush to the pistol's spawn point and whoring it until it runs out of ammo.

Happy New Year

Warsaw
December 31st, 2010, 07:13 PM
Of course, a skilled player using a shotgun would open that scenario with a grenade, thus eliminating the pistol's advantage.

=sw=warlord
December 31st, 2010, 07:43 PM
That theory is also shit, because you never seen any shields flaring, popping, or sparking in that entire scene. They didn't think it through at all.
If the system itself was EMP'ed then of course there wouldn't be any popping or sparking because you know, the generators are turned off.
If a computer had it's electronics's burned out would you still expect it to boot up or attempt to?

Of course, a skilled player using a shotgun would open that scenario with a grenade, thus eliminating the pistol's advantage.

And of course a skilled player using the pistol would use a grenade and get a 1sk with the pistol.
Works both ways.

Cortexian
January 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
A skilled player with a pistol wouldn't get themselves into a situation like that :p

Pooky
January 6th, 2011, 01:41 AM

This is what people don't seem to get when they whine about the pistol. Yes, the pistol is easier to use than other weapons, but other weapons can be more powerful than it WHEN USED APPROPRIATELY.

e: in fact, let me just list some general uses for all the weapons that a skilled player can accomplish

Pistol: General combat. Use this to engage infantry at any range except very long, and to peck away at the health of vehicles.

Assault Rifle: Sidearm to the pistol. Use this as a finisher when you empty your pistol mag in close quarters. Also effective at close range against vehicles.

Shotgun: Other than the Rocket Launcher, the best weapon for taking on vehicles at close range. Capable of 2 or 3 shotting most vehicles, can also be used to engage infantry in tight spaces and around corners.

Sniper Rifle: Used for sniping, obviously. Also makes a good alternative to the Pistol for general combat in the hands of a sufficiently skilled player.

Rocket Launcher: Versatile and extremely powerful, limited only by slow projectile speed and low ammo. Use to quickly take down vehicles at any range, and to engage groups of infantry at any range from close to extreme.

Plasma Pistol: Highly effective against fully loaded vehicles. A single plasma pistol overcharge will lower the shields of ALL vehicle occupants, allowing them to be quickly killed with pistol fire or a single grenade. Also useful if you know an enemy has the overshield, and as a quick melee kill at close range.

Needler: Deadly on narrow bridges (like those on danger canyon and infinity) and in narrow hallways. Can also be used against unaware snipers for the lulz.

Plasma Rifle: Only really of use against vehicles at close to medium range. Can also be used as a quick burst to melee. Probably the weakest weapon.

If the system itself was EMP'ed then of course there wouldn't be any popping or sparking because you know, the generators are turned off.
If a computer had it's electronics's burned out would you still expect it to boot up or attempt to?

If the system was EMP'd we would have at least seen the pop of their already active shields dissipating. All logic aside, flaring and sparking shields are the accepted visual cue for shields being down. Not putting that in means they were either being really lazy or didn't think it through at all. The shield flare appears in other scenes, so there is a precedent.

Warsaw
January 6th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Word up Pooky, word up.

Also, Needler is good for the lulz in any situation. It's lulzy whether you get the kill or not. :lol:

=sw=warlord
February 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Joystiq has learned that the previously rumored remake of Halo: Combat Evolved will indeed launch this holiday season for Xbox 360 with a full visual overhaul. Sources explain that the re-release is not Bungie's 2001 Xbox game simply running at a higher resolution -- it's being remade with new art assets. While Halo's audio will likely remain unaltered, the controls will allow for more recent Halo configurations.

The Halo: Combat Evolved remake is allegedly being developed by New Jersey-based Saber Interactive, the company behind TimeShift and Namco's upcoming Inversion, but we've been unable to confirm the nature of the engine powering it. We understand that it's something other than the Reach engine. (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/04/halo-combat-evolved-hd/)

This could be good or bad for us.
Why isn't 343I the one's working on this?

Shock120
February 4th, 2011, 09:30 AM
It's bad.
NO PC VERSION. :gonk:

Kornman00
February 4th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Great, more media rumors.

If it's truly not using the Blam engine then it's going to flop. Remakes are risky to begin with, redos are just...well stupid. But whatever, at least there is a gang of game developers getting paid to do something. That's a big undertaking, to redo an entire game with new assets and different game data in a completely different engine. AI won't be (and thus act) the same. Different physics. Etc. Consider me ultra skeptical of this. There's no way in hell I'll pre-order this, and I'd expect no less from other hard core Halo fans.

Ifafudafi
February 4th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I doubt MS would simply throw away a license to make a Halo game, considering it's their most valuable gaming property, and I'm sure there are some 343 vets watching over production, but Timeshift was pretty meh and having the series shift away from Bungie could possibly have conseqences nobody could really forsee, seeing that they've, you know, been its sole developer since the series began.

Color me skeptical but not hopeless. We'll probably see more at E3.

Kornman00
February 4th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Ensemble did a good job as a Halo developer. Of course, they were gods of their respected game genre and had some pretty wide artistic freedoms.

Patrickssj6
February 4th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Well at least the developers have to stick somewhat to the game...so not a lot of freedom to fuck up :P

ODX
February 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Well at least the developers have to stick somewhat to the game...so not a lot of freedom to fuck up :P
You'd think that, but if this is true then they already have:

NO PC VERSION. :gonk:

Seriously, stop fucking us over.

SnaFuBAR
February 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM
i still highly doubt the validity of any of these claims/rumors, and will once again say:

this isn't happening.

Ifafudafi
February 4th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Keep in mind that if there was a PC version, it'd be locked down with Games for Windows Live and Microsoft's nasty anti-modding sentiments. I doubt it'd be a version worth playing.

t3h m00kz
February 4th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Wait, games for windows live still hasn't died out yet?

Shock120
February 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Wait, games for windows live still hasn't died out yet?Microsoft want's to keep this fail service alive for yet, another revamp on Windows 8.

Keep in mind that if there was a PC version, it'd be locked down with Games for Windows Live and Microsoft's nasty anti-modding sentiments. I doubt it'd be a version worth playing.This is true, a game called "Operation Flashpoint: Red River" is going to be released with this abomination, and it seems they have been forced not to release an SDK.

Amit
February 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
This is probably another one of those bullshit rumors. I highly doubt that microsoft would let studios without award winning games produce something of this nature.

Warsaw
February 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Unless it was on Steam I wouldn't want it anyways. The original runs just fine on my PC, Xbox 360, and my original Xbox. I do not require a half-assed remake that will likely include the very things that made the later games suck.

Dwood
February 4th, 2011, 03:17 PM
If this doesn't come out for PC, not buying. Just isn't worth my time.

Cortexian
February 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Would rather have Reach or Halo 3/ODST on PC than a Halo 1 remake...

Kornman00
February 4th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Watch the CMT campaign releases turn out to still be better than this :ohdear:

Graphics do not make the game :|

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
February 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Would rather have Reach or Halo 3/ODST on PC than a Halo 1 remake...Me too, although that might be possible in the future... psst

Hotrod
February 4th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Would rather have Reach or Halo 3/ODST on PC than a Halo 1 remake...
I'd honestly prefer the Halo 1 remake.

ODX
February 4th, 2011, 05:05 PM
In saying Reach though, you're at least guaranteed a well-made game. Whether or not the online service is done right though...

Kornman00
February 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Don't forget customs and firefight (and modding)!

Having that on PC trumps a silly H1 remake IMHO.

Hotrod
February 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I guess modding does add a lot into the game...but we'd need a Halo : Reach Custom Edition type deal for me to really be interested in a PC version.

Dwood
February 4th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm more interested in the new IP Bungie has been working on... Especially since I think they retained rights to this iteration of the Blam! engine...

t3h m00kz
February 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I'd only care about this if it has online multiplayer with none of the weapons or physics tweaked.

Hotrod
February 4th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I'd only care about this if it has online multiplayer with none of the weapons or physics tweaked.
There's no way they're keeping the old physics, so looks like you're not gonna care about this :P

t3h m00kz
February 4th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Well stuff like ragdolls and scenery physics would be fine, I mean stuff like how the player is affected by splash damage and whatnot

Pooky
February 5th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I don't mind if they make the physics a bit more realistic as long as the fundamentals remain basically the same. As long as I can still grenade jump and flip hogs I'm good.

Kornman00
February 5th, 2011, 11:20 AM
And the hogs don't explode right? I miss *truly* indestructible vehicles. Fuck this Reach shit.

I'm more interested in the new IP Bungie has been working on... Especially since I think they retained rights to this iteration of the Blam! engine...
Reach's engine was developed by Bungie post-MS split. I'm pretty sure MS doesn't own jack about the engine itself (so MS couldn't make another game without licensing it).

dark navi
February 5th, 2011, 02:04 PM
*hopes for no melee lunge*

Any newer Halo game ported to PC would result in a Halo CE remake anyways. Wish they had love for PCs...

Lightning
February 16th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Halo 1 remake on BOTH 360 and PC. PC has proper editing kit. Cross platform multiplayer AND custom maps. ...just sayin, you know. ;_;

Kornman00
February 25th, 2011, 02:04 PM
It's a rumour. Microsoft doesn't comment on rumour or speculation. If you really want to play Halo: Combat Evolved on your 360 in 720p go to Games On Demand. It's there now (http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/5227/halo-dev-halo-universe-can-work-with-kinect).
People can pretty much shut up now

paladin
March 21st, 2011, 08:50 PM
After having a convo with a friend from school that works at 343, I can pretty much assure you that some sort of Halo 1 remake is being done.

FRain
March 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Paladin - where did you get your sig image from? I'm havent seen that Colbert episode and I really want to see it now for some reason

Kornman00
March 21st, 2011, 09:16 PM
After having a convo with a friend from school that works at 343, I can pretty much assure you that some sort of Halo 1 remake is being done.
u leaker

what a leaker

stop leaking

supersniper
March 21st, 2011, 11:24 PM
LOL!
ask him if there's a PC in the making? if not then fuck it

Hotrod
March 22nd, 2011, 01:30 AM
This makes me happy :)

Dwood
March 22nd, 2011, 02:51 AM
No point if there's no pc version. Don't get happy till then. I'm not buying any more console games, and honestly haven't bought a single current-gen since Halo 2. (Yoshi's Story for N64 lol)

Hotrod
March 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM
No point if there's no pc version. Don't get happy till then. I'm not buying any more console games, and honestly haven't bought a single current-gen since Halo 2. (Yoshi's Story for N64 lol)
Some of us don't care about there being a PC version or not :P If I had the choice between getting it for PC or 360, I'd go 360 since my family and friends would do the same, and I wanna be able to play with them.

paladin
March 22nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Most likely going to be xbox only.

And, I got my sig from a Neogaf thread

Goldkilla
March 27th, 2011, 01:11 AM
If this is even real, I want:

- Assassinations
- Sprint and Barrel Roll Ablities only
- PC with Halo 1 like HEK, Classic and Completly new MP Maps
- 360 Live Support, Same Maps as PC
- Reach's new Weapons, the classic ones should look almost the same, Why/How could the Covenant change their equitment so fast?
- Vehicles all Reach, even the Classics
- Energy Sword
- Phantoms AND Dropships
- Completly revamped Forge with all of H1Sapiens features, like AI, Decals, etc, etc.

This is mine...

Kornman00
March 27th, 2011, 05:32 AM
C
+Self Destruct. Three-seconds audible countdown timer that kills you and takes out anything within a 2.5 meter radius. Cancel at any time.

dot dot dot
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcfgvsCScsA#t=262s)

TeeKup
March 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Self destruct? A Martyrdom you can control?

You've got to be out of your goddamn mind.

Kornman00
March 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Hey, at least then the TKers of the world won't go after heavy weapons...they'd just tape the self destruct button down :downs:!

Donut
March 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
i believe its a halo 1 remake, not a coldsnap/extinction/hugeass remake.
E: forgable firefight would be sweet though. get rid of the god damn achivments like "killionare in firefight" and theres no reason not to have it. if they did a Cr system like reach, they could just disable Cr earning on custom firefight maps. even then in reach, its not like anything is stopping you from going into a custom firefight game and changing the game options to infinite health, infinite ammo, and making every encounter some huge ai that gives you more Cr.

Pooky
March 27th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Since I already said this, just gonna briefly reiterate:

Fuck armor abilities.

Fuck equipment.

Fuck bloom.

Fuck new weapons.

But most importantly:

Fuck armor abilities. No, really.

Arteen
March 27th, 2011, 11:09 PM
You know what would be great for a Halo CE campaign remake? Armor abilities, equipment, and new weapons.

Kornman00
March 27th, 2011, 11:31 PM
And grunts that speak English.

TeeKup
March 28th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I was expecting a larger response to the Teleportation or Magnetism ability....
Yes, just press a button and you, along with anything nearby, goes up an a huge bang.

I got the idea from the Halo: The First Strike novel when the Chief overloaded Grace's power core on he armor after she died.

I know I'm going to be infracted for this, but being a Call of Duty veteran I honestly have to say you're an idiot. I don't want to hear someone spout out that Call of Duty and Halo are completely separate and that "halo could pull it off well." Bull fucking shit there's nothing to optimize or change about being killed by a random explosion whenever you kill some faggot because he want's a cheap kill or he want's to be a troll. Fuck that in its entirety. If there's one thing Black Ops did right it was removing that fucking abomination along with Stopping Power and Juggernaut. Let's not even THINK about inventing any version of those into Halo; especially not a possible HCE remake.

I'll agree with Pook and Korn.

annihilation
March 28th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I don't even want a remake; there's nothing wrong with the original.

=sw=warlord
March 28th, 2011, 09:23 AM
if you wanted suicide bombers go into COD and hold the grenade button down, or uninstall the patches and run around with a javelin.

Pooky
March 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM
See, and I like bloom. It keeps those idiots from spamming me with DMR shots from across the map while I take 'em out with the sniper.

That MIGHT be true, except that the initial DMR shot has hitscan and 100% accuracy. You still get spammed, it's just a tad slower.

Warsaw
March 28th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'd rather they reinvented the game into a Battlefield-esque experience (BC2) than just a straight-up remake with elements from the later games thrown in. If I want to replay the original, I have three copies I can choose from. I don't need a simple beautification of an already excellent game. The new graphics and physics would take away the charm, anyways.

Donut
March 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM
halo 1 had bloom. why do we burst fire the assault rifle? why do we release the mouse in between pistol shots? im fairly certain all the other games had it too. its just that there is a visual for it in reach.

the main thing i want is online for halo 1. a graphic revamp would be nice, but i just want to be able to play this game online with forging and stuff

Cortexian
March 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM
halo 1 had bloom. why do we burst fire the assault rifle? why do we release the mouse in between pistol shots? im fairly certain all the other games had it too. its just that there is a visual for it in reach.

the main thing i want is online for halo 1. a graphic revamp would be nice, but i just want to be able to play this game online with forging and stuff
Bloom is a visual effect, I think you're confusing it with something completely different. It has absolutely nothing to do with firing a weapon in-game... Especially not about HOW you fire it, burst firing and clicking for every shot on the pistol has to do with bullet placement, not bloom...

Warsaw
March 28th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Blame Bungie for calling their form of progressive bullet randomization "reticle bloom" thereby resulting in everybody shortening it to simply "bloom."

Pooky
March 28th, 2011, 09:21 PM

If I wasn't clear enough, I'm referring to the addition of Counter-Strike style degenerative accuracy for mid range weapons (which was NOT in previous Halo games, trigger spamming the pistol doesn't count). Basically, what Warsaw said. It was a really dumb idea, and so was making bullet weapons hitscan.

Warsaw
March 28th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Ugh, hitscan. I'm sorry, but making games "more accessible" does not automatically make them more fun. There is zero satisfaction when you don't have to try.

TeeKup
March 28th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I honestly believe that making games more accessible is what makes them more horrible. Removing any sense of challenge from any aspect of what makes up core gameplay will ruin a game and potentially a series. It is for this reason I have an extreme distaste for Reach now.

Hell I'm looking back on Halo 3 and all of it's aspects I was bitching about and finding myself extremely foolish and outright wrong.

Pooky
March 29th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Halo 3 definitely wasn't perfect, but it had its moments and I'd take it over Reach any day.

Ugh, hitscan. I'm sorry, but making games "more accessible" does not automatically make them more fun. There is zero satisfaction when you don't have to try.

What's really weird about it is that slow bullets have always been a characteristic feature of Bungie games in the past. Suddenly going back on it for their last entry in the Halo series just feels wrong.

Shock120
March 29th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Irrelevant to the Halo 1 remake, I for one would love Halo 3 for PC.

According to ZDnet, the video was dated May 2010 (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/internal-microsoft-video-shows-plans-for-next-gen-gaming-experience/46176)
uBPYdgy35KA&feature=player_detailpage#t=154s

Go to 2:33 to see it
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2722/microsoftfails.png
Apart from the video being a fail, it seems to be the most recent clue as to whether Halo 3 will ever be on PC.

Siliconmaster
March 29th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hmm- could mean something, or the artist could merely have thrown in a series of well known Microsoft games. I would love H3 on the pc- full AA ftw. However, I'm so used to it on the 360 that it would feel really weird. I'd totally be in for a H1 remake though.

Cortexian
March 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I see my Halo 3 icon from Xbox 360 on my Games for Windows Live account just like I see my Halo 2 Vista icon on my Xbox Live Account on my 360... I wouldn't put any emphasis on this.

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
March 29th, 2011, 03:58 PM
That video, I hope that Microsoft learns something from all those dislikes...

Kornman00
March 29th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Yeah, that video means zilch, nada, Odo.

Dwood
March 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM
FFFFF if they bring something like that to Windows..... ANYTHING like it....

Warsaw
March 29th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah, that video means zilch, nada, Odo.

http://gi97.photobucket.com/groups/l223/CVJPPTU0L1/odo.png

Siliconmaster
March 30th, 2011, 01:19 AM
ODO

Yes.
<3

Hotrod
March 30th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Yes.
<3
I approve of this message :D Odo is awesome :)

Warsaw
March 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM
More of a B5 man myself, but the opportunity could not be missed.

Kornman00
March 30th, 2011, 08:09 PM
(just so I'm not blamed for this tangent, Odo means "nothing" in Cardassian ;p)

TVTyrant
March 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I was about to ask who the hell that was and what it had to do with this thread...

Patrickssj6
March 31st, 2011, 06:11 AM
they are all going to watch the director's cut later today

Cortexian
April 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Basically an "HD" mod of the game? I thought this had been attempted by someone at some point, and I'm all for it.

paladin
April 7th, 2011, 03:50 AM
wow... the things i learned tonight.... I wish I could reiterate them

TVTyrant
April 7th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Just do it. We won't tell.

Hotrod
April 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Dude, you can't do this to us :P

Warsaw
April 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah, pretty much. Updated models, textures, and effects. Just use the same sounds. Unless someone has scripts for the cinematics, they all need to be recreated. Campaign levels should stay the same, but if we need to change something to make the levels work, we can do that.

It still needs to feel like Halo, just a better looking Halo.

As long as the quirky "physics" stay. That's one of the most important aspects of the first game that none of the others can capture.

Warsaw
April 8th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Don't forget the hilarious death animations and poses...

Pooky
April 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Agreed. Halo 2 destroyed all our fun and boucy vehicles and even then only Halo: Reach came close (read: phailed) to make the 'hog as fun as it used to be.

Don't touch the physics!

Halo Reach had the most useless Warthog in the series, by far. Getting in the Warthog in multiplayer is just begging to die.

The thing that made the vehicles in Halo 1 so unique (other than the physics) was the 'glass cannon' aspect they had. All the vehicles were very powerful and useful, but could also be taken out very quickly if misused. Best example being the tank, which could wipe out nearly a whole team of enemies in a single shot just before dying from 3 pistol shots in the cockpit. That's the aspect of vehicle combat that every subsequent Halo game failed at.

Warsaw
April 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM
That's a casualty of Bungie over-engineering again. They tried to balance the weapons. They balanced them so far that they created an "anti-vehicle" class of weapon. Consequently, since they had that class, they no longer had to leave vehicles exposed to small arms fire. What we are left with are maps overpopulated by anti-vehicle weapons to counter the vehicles. This makes the vehicles nothing more than deathtraps.

Dwood
April 8th, 2011, 07:05 PM
If they made the rocket launchers take skill to use...

Left6
April 14th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Perish the thought!

paladin
April 17th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Ill leave this here...
http://image.odinseye.org/images/h3gfwl2.jpg

BobtheGreatII
April 17th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Most PC games don't come in thick cases like that anymore. And i7? I should think it would support lesser Intel processors than that. And AMD. Also why are the ATi and nVidia logos so far from each other. And lastly, that's the old nVidia logo, and shouldn't be smaller than the ATi one. Marketing might frown upon that...

But other than that, it's neat. One can always wish.

Kornman00
April 17th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I'll just leave these here

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6694/1001091802.jpg

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2667/1002091618.jpg

leorimolo
April 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Oh god please be true.

Hotrod
April 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Hopefully it's true, but I'm still hesitant...

Siliconmaster
April 17th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Where. How. What.

Cortexian
April 18th, 2011, 01:17 AM
lol, printed off the shopped pic on 8x11 with a printed fake label on a blank disk. You can see the box art doesn't fit edge-to-edge like it should in the case, and there are some white portions where whoever cut it out failed.

Also, it's using images previously released... With the exception of the Pelican flying into the sunset on some forerunner place.

BobtheGreatII
April 18th, 2011, 01:19 AM
It's not real.

Cagerrin
April 18th, 2011, 02:48 AM
With the exception of the Pelican flying into the sunset on some forerunner place.
Pretty sure that's part of a cutscene on one end of Cortana.

Warsaw
April 18th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Besides that, easiest to spot is the terribad DVD art and Times New Roman typeface. Even Halo PC's disc didn't look so terrible.

Siliconmaster
April 18th, 2011, 07:55 AM
The dvd art is definitely shit, but I assumed it could be a beta version or something- Microsoft's beta labels are amazingly shitty. Still, would be nice if it were real. Alas.

ejburke
April 18th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Generally a game is announced before they produce packaging. I don't know why anyone would slap crappy label art on a supposed beta build and draw attention to it by sticking it in a retail case that shouldn't even exist yet.

I don't know why they would bother with just Halo 3 at this point, either. At the very least, it should be bundled with ODST. That would be more believable.

Dwood
April 18th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Also, it's using images previously released... With the exception of the Pelican flying into the sunset on some forerunner place.
H2V used previously released images, too.

Rainbow Dash
April 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
8w59y6oe5z4

paladin
April 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I can say this according to my NDA:

'We have {blank} work(s) in progress on the Halo series being releases on x platform.'

Dwood
April 18th, 2011, 12:44 PM

'We have {blank} work(s) in progress on the Halo series being releases on x platform.'

NDA from 343i or Bungie? sorry I dun kno wats up.

Kornman00
April 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Also,

# xmp:CreateDate = "2009-10-01T17:36:07-07:00"
# xmp:ModifyDate = "2011-04-17T20:49:15-07:00"

And there are labels which don't belong...(surprised no one pointed that out)

paladin
April 18th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Korn, you realize that Dis shit isnt todays news, just for modacity.

Resinball
April 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Like how it sez 2008 or how some of the words have no spaces.

I knew it was too good to be true; this makes me a Sad Panda.

Ifafudafi
April 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM
tbqh I don't know if I would even readily accept H3PC considering how long Reach has been out already; H2V at least came out a few months before H3

If they were to do a remake of HCE, though, I would not be at all adverse to them releasing it simultaneously on 360 and PC, so long as we got a (fully-functional) editing kit this time around, even if the game would be bogged down with GFWL (because face it, if we get a Halo title on PC, GFWL is a guarantee)

Hotrod
April 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM

So we know that they're working on at least one Halo game...wait...didn't we already know that?

I think you're just trying to make us jealous by showing us that you know what's going on and we don't ;)

=sw=warlord
April 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM
(Removed by request from Brian)
S11/G explains it all :)

ejburke
April 18th, 2011, 07:15 PM
The first rule of NDA: don't talk about NDA. The second rule of NDA: okay, go ahead and talk about NDA.

=sw=warlord
April 18th, 2011, 07:25 PM
The first rule of NDA: don't talk about NDA. The second rule of NDA: okay, go ahead and talk about NDA.

There are some thing's that can be motioned towards, such as being able to say that you cannot mention anything not already publicly announced.
In this case...everything.

ejburke
April 18th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Notwithstanding the ubiquitous "Friend-DA" clause, of course.

I think you're better off with the air of mystery when it comes to secret Microsoft projects. It's not that I couldn't care less -- I actually could care less, but not much less. In the small chance that it turned out to be Halo 3 as a standalone PC port, I would probably fall into a boredom coma. For a Reach port, packed with Halo 3, ODST, and Halo Wars ports, I would let out a contented yawn as I stretched my arms up over my shoulders.