PDA

View Full Version : Flying

Dwood
December 18th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Red Eye flights suck. Left at nine, got in @ LAX for a layover at 4 am where I stayed till about 7 am.

That said, however, if you go in the right airline, it would be a lot more fun I bet haha.

I always fly Jet Blu when I can but this time it was United. I hate United Airlines. We have less space on those crappy planes than any other airline out there..

But yeah any cool airport adventures out there?

ThePlague
December 18th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Don't really have any cool ones, just some stupid ones. Last time I flew (AZ to NY), we took a redeye. I didn't get shit for sleep the night before either, so it sucked. For some reason I can't sleep, at all, on a plane. So, six or seven hours sitting in one place, with a dead computer battery, all I had was my old 2gb 1st generation Nano. I ended up staying up the whole day too, because it'd be a waste not to.

Stayed there for ~2 weeks, and on the way back it was one of those 6am flights. There was literally a mile long line to get through security, and I had to take the biggest piss ever (hour and a half car ride + rushing blows). Lost our spot in line, and barely got to our gate.

Oh, and on the way there, I figured out that you need to take an xbox 360 out of your carry on. Not just the hard drive, the whole damn thing. So I had 2 laptops out, along with my shoes and shit, and an xbox 360. Lets just say, the people behind me weren't too happy.

Ever since I was little we've flown back and forth there every year, but this year's experience was the worst. Luckily it was before that scanner thing was implemented. I have been through one of those things that shoot air at you though, was pretty cool.

legionaire45
December 18th, 2010, 03:51 AM
LAX is unpleasent if that's your starting location. If you can get to Burbank (http://www.burbankairport.com/), a lot of JetBlue flights head out from Bob Hope Airport.

Kornman00
December 18th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Southwest's "every man for them self" seating may sound like a cool idea, but it's really shite when you're not in boarding group A. I'd rather get to pick online or at the gate. "Hey any aisle seats left? There are? sweet, book it". No fucking running down the aisle like a chicken without its head trying to find a seat near an overhead with space still left in it.

Dwood
December 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM
LAX is unpleasent if that's your starting location. If you can get to Burbank (http://www.burbankairport.com/), a lot of JetBlue flights head out from Bob Hope Airport.

The design of LAX is ridiculous. Makes no sense to me whatsoever, it's a freaking horseshoe, and your deity of choice help you if you are on one end of the shoe and have a layover on the other side.

Also, I refuse to buy any kind of plane ticket where I can't pick the seats before hand.

And on the layover, it turns out that I was stuck next to the guy who takes 1.5 seats. It was painful.

Limited
December 19th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Hows about being stuck on the tarmac in a plane for 10 hours? How about being stuck on the tarmac in a plane for 7 hours given no food or drink and obviously not allowed to leave the plane?

Both have happened in 2 days here in UK, snow has caused chaos. Worlds busiest airport has been shutdown for ages now =\.

On a side note, is the LA smog noticeable from a plane?

Dwood
December 19th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I didn't notice it tbh, but that's probably because I was coming back from the ocean, we literally passed the beach and landed.

Futzy
December 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM
The only place I've actually been able to see smog is in Rome. From the plane it just looked terrible. LA was perfectly clear every time I've been there.

Cortexian
December 19th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Only had two bad experiences with long flights... On our way down to Florida our plane was grounded due to an issue with the fire suppression systems that they found during pre-checks. We wer etold it would be about an hour for them to fix it. Three hours later the got us all off the plane and tried to reschedule us onto other Florida flights. We were lucky enough to find a plane with two open seats and one cancellation so all three of us could go together, we were able to make our layover flight as well.

The other one was when we were coming home from Florida, there was a huge thunder-hail storm in Calgary so we had to divert to Lethbridge. Was kinda cool, our pilot attempted to land us in the thunder-hail but the winds were to strong and he just couldn't keep us from blowing away. So we did a touch-and-go and booked it to Lethbridge before the fuel ran out haha. Then we sat at Lethbridge for three hours to get refueled and wait for the storm in Calgary to abate. Was kinda cool doing the 3 hour drive from Calgary to Lethbridge in 30 minutes haha.