PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray!!!!!!

bfett9
January 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM

http://starwars.com/themovies/saga/preorder_bluray/index.html

Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray Now!

January 6, 2011

The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever -- the Star Wars Saga -- emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

* Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
* Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
* Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor."

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been the most anticipated Blu-ray release by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon.com. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong."HLSUfNXOlfM

Pre-Order SPECIAL PRICING
Amazon links:
Prequel Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000PMG16U/
Original Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000PMLFRA/
Complete Saga (@ $89.99, $139.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003ZSJ212/

Cortexian
January 6th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Shouldn't this be under Tech Talk?

Anyhow, waiting for the 3D Blu-Ray versions now that we've got a 3D capable TV. No point in shelling out a hundred bucks twice! If I were you guys I'd wait and do the same, even if you don't have a 3D TV right now, the 3D Blu-Rays can be played back in 2D no problem. If you ever go 3D in the future you'd be better off!

Warsaw
January 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
If this should be in Tech Talk, then so should the Tron thread. I don't think either should be, since we're talking about a movie and not gadgets/peripherals/tech-related issues.

Though it would fit in the CES 2011 thread, since that's when it was announced.

Also, getting Blu-ray version. 3D physically doesn't work for me, so no sense in waiting.

sleepy1212
January 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM
it's about fucking time

ejburke
January 7th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I'm not going to wait for the version that has Han shooting first in 3D. The original trilogy is the original trilogy to me. I have no interest in special edition or 3D versions of the special editions. Then again, I'm not going to pay full price for this, either. And it BETTER have the OG version.

Bodzilla
January 7th, 2011, 05:50 PM
i just wanna know if it has the star wars cristmas special on it :ohdear:

Siliconmaster
January 7th, 2011, 07:38 PM
The OOT (Original Original Trilogy) will never be restored, due to the "effort and cost involved", according to Lucasfilm. The Star Wars Holiday Special was only aired once, and afterwards all footage was burned. :P The only existing copies can be tracked down to a few specific VHS recordings, one of which is on google video.

Personally, I hope they fix the godawful coloring issues with the 2005 dvds. From the blu-ray trailer, it seems a little hopeful, but Yoda still looks rather neon green at 0:37. And the lightsabers are still borked to hell by the auto-color-correction processes they used- perfect example is in the trailer at 1:16.

Warsaw
January 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I like it when the lightsaber goes from white to green to jaggy all in the same scene. :downs:

TeeKup
January 8th, 2011, 12:55 AM
It's a shame the only good things about 2 and 3 were the combat....didn't care for some of the actors/romance/plot....

Warsaw
January 8th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I'm not going to blame the actors. They did the best they could with what they were given which was, quite frankly, shit. Lucas is not very good at Star Wars. Ironic, yes? I thought so, too.

n00b1n8R
January 8th, 2011, 07:32 AM
It's a shame the only good things about 2 and 3 were the combat....didn't care for some of the actors/romance/plot....
Hell, even the combat was getting dumb by 3. Watch the battle between Obi-Wan and Vader in ep3 and you'd swear half the time they're swinging their sabres simply because they really like the sound it makes :ugh:

I'm not going to blame the actors. They did the best they could with what they were given which was, quite frankly, shit. Lucas is not very good at Star Wars. Ironic, yes? I thought so, too.
SW is ontop of the list of series that need to be saved from their creators.

Limited
January 8th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Shouldn't this be under Tech Talk?

Anyhow, waiting for the 3D Blu-Ray versions now that we've got a 3D capable TV. No point in shelling out a hundred bucks twice! If I were you guys I'd wait and do the same, even if you don't have a 3D TV right now, the 3D Blu-Rays can be played back in 2D no problem. If you ever go 3D in the future you'd be better off!
Its converted 3D, so its going to look like shite.

Am I the only one that really doesn't care that much for SW? Sure I liked watching them and the saber fights were awesome. (No I'm not a trekkie)

Siliconmaster
January 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Star Wars OT is awesome. Trek is awesome. Not mutually exclusive. That is a myth.

Warsaw
January 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hell, even the combat was getting dumb by 3. Watch the battle between Obi-Wan and Vader in ep3 and you'd swear half the time they're swinging their sabres simply because they really like the sound it makes :ugh:

SW is ontop of the list of series that need to be saved from their creators.

Followed closely by Halo...

The original TFU story was pretty good; I think them being forced into a sequel is what killed TFU2's story. Give Star Wars to those guys, or BioWare, or one of the many authors of the Expanded Universe.

Also, Star Wars was going downhill starting with Episode V. We had blood in IV (lightsabers at this point were envisioned more like an immaterial vibroblade), but they changed it in Episode V. In Episode VI, we had fucking teddy bears mass murdering highly-trained troops. I mean, if they were for real vicious, I could respect the Ewoks, but as it is they are just a ploy to make the movie appealing to little children. That there is the root of the problem: Lucas keeps trying to make the movies more and more "family oriented," at the expense of the final product.

Siliconmaster
January 8th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Oh blah- Episode V was totally an improvement on Episode IV, and that's saying a lot, because Episode IV is one of my favorite movies of all time. Personally having energy blades cauterize wounds makes a hell of a lot more sense than the blood in episode IV. I will however give you the ewoks. Love them, but yeah, killer teddy bears: wtf.

Warsaw
January 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Lucas also didn't write the script for Episode V. I agree that on the whole it was a better movie, but I kind of like the force weapon idea better than the heat weapon. It's more exotic. My point was that he took out the gore more for family reasons than for artistic ones; that makes the whole universe childish and downplays just how destructive the conflicts were. Star Wars a la the opening of Saving Private Ryan would probably be one of the coolest and most riveting things ever.

Siliconmaster
January 8th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Alright, well, from that point of view, fine. But as a kid, I always preferred the cauterization to the blood, not because of gore, but because I honestly thought it was cooler. For me, that's what matters :P

ChemicalFizz
January 9th, 2011, 05:25 AM
SpikeTV plays all 6 episodes nearly every Sunday... No really, it's like a weekly ritual. I think if I checked right now my DVR would have them all recorded...

Warsaw
January 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Eh, I own 5 of 6 on DVD. Episode I is on VHS. Can't be assed to spend money on an Episode I DVD. All 6 on BLu-Ray would be alright by me, though.

Cortexian
January 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Its converted 3D, so its going to look like shite.
Probably not. My TVs 2D to 3D converter works exceptionally well, and that wouldn't look as good as a remastered feature film in 3D.

Warsaw
January 10th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Well you have to remember that the "remastering" of Star Wars actually lowered the experience for a majority of us, from what I can tell.

Cortexian
January 10th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I never gave a crap, we had the originals on VHS and the quality was horrible. Getting the entire set (remastered of course) on DVD was a huge improvement back when they came out as prequel and sequel box sets on DVD.

Warsaw
January 10th, 2011, 02:09 AM
What? I have the original remastering of the series on VHS (the 1995 re-release in the black box set with Vader's face on the front) and the quality is much better than the second remastering seen in the DVDs. Sure, there are no deleted scenes, but those scenes were deleted for a reason.

Amit
January 10th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Once this set is out, I'll download it to make sure the quality is top notch before I plunk down $200 for it. I don't understand why the US version is $40 less than the Canadian version. The US and Canadian dollar are basically the same. Hell, the Canadian dollar is stronger right now.

Bodzilla
January 10th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Once this set is out, I'll download it to make sure the quality is top notch before I plunk down $200 for it. I don't understand why the US version is $40 less than the Canadian version. The US and Canadian dollar are basically the same. Hell, the Canadian dollar is stronger right now.
just thank god your not an australian. we've been dealing with that horse shit since the beginning of time.

Cortexian
January 10th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Yea but you guys live on your own continent. You actually need to fly/ship all the goods in so I assume that's a big part of it for you. We sit on top of the USA with nothing separating us except a customs inspection.

Bodzilla
January 10th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Digital downloads.

Cortexian
January 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
From what I keep hearing about Australian internets it's probably cheaper to buy the box set.

Bodzilla
January 13th, 2011, 08:21 PM
nope.

they'll charge 50 + for the blurays, so 300 bucks even by australian standards is a hell of alot of bandwidth.

Cortexian
January 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
It will be at least 150-200 Gigabytes for all three movies on Blu-Ray, in all likely hood. Assuming you download rips to burn to a Blu-Ray yourself of course.

Amit
January 13th, 2011, 09:48 PM
It will be at least 150-200 Gigabytes for all three movies on Blu-Ray, in all likely hood. Assuming you download rips to burn to a Blu-Ray yourself of course.

First of all, it's six films, not three. Second, who the fuck uploads 200GB files? Even for a torrent that's ridiculous. And most people who do download Blu-Ray rips don't burn them to media, let alone Blu-Ray discs. For the price that you would burn a downloaded blu-ray, you might as well buy the full thing with all the bells and whistles. This, of course, depends on how much the film is being sold for at retailers.

Warsaw
January 13th, 2011, 10:55 PM
My guess? $120-$160.

Cortexian
January 15th, 2011, 02:41 AM
First of all, it's six films, not three. Second, who the fuck uploads 200GB files? Even for a torrent that's ridiculous. And most people who do download Blu-Ray rips don't burn them to media, let alone Blu-Ray discs. For the price that you would burn a downloaded blu-ray, you might as well buy the full thing with all the bells and whistles. This, of course, depends on how much the film is being sold for at retailers.
I'm talking about iso rips of the media, ripping the entire blu-ray to burn back to a blu-ray and playback on a blu-ray player just like owning the blu-ray set. And you're right, it is 6 movies, so that would be more like 400GB's of files.

Amit
January 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I'm talking about iso rips of the media, ripping the entire blu-ray to burn back to a blu-ray and playback on a blu-ray player just like owning the blu-ray set. And you're right, it is 6 movies, so that would be more like 400GB's of files.

God damn. Well, I'll be at school most of the time where there's no network throttling or bandwidth limits. Time to enjoy 20Mb/s downloads.