PDA

View Full Version : Personal Protection Gun Safe

hobojoe
January 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Ok, for all the shooters here on Modacity, I live in California (lol) the hell hole of the gun world.
I'm going to purchase a Kimber 1911 Custom II, (want to get the Tactical II Entry but it's illegal.)
It is going to my personal defense weapon/first handgun since I turn 21 in a few months

I was wonder if anyone could suggest a good safe for home protection.

I was looking at one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KL0QPS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=19P0DQ189SJ6JYHHZ86B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939291&pf_rd_i=507846

But I was kinda leaning on the side of no. But if one of you have it personally and can give me some input that would be great!

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

FakeE: I'm only looking for something to keep next to my bed, just in case I hear something go bump in the night.

Dwood
January 10th, 2011, 09:36 PM
They have gun locks that you can put around the gun.

hobojoe
January 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Ok? I'm looking for something to keep it away from kids to, not really sure what your talking about.
And I'd really rather keep it in some sorta box to.

Are you talking about a trigger/action lock?

Dwood
January 10th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Ok? I'm looking for something to keep it away from kids to, not really sure what your talking about.
And I'd really rather keep it in some sorta box to.

Are you talking about a trigger/action lock?

Never mind. Doesn't matter because it has to be specific to your gun. But tbh that case seems fine to me.

Patssj6
January 10th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Get some venom and kill yourself. Then you don't have to worry about dying in a glorious gunfight.

If the gun fits in there and the lock is secure...what more do you want for that money? Do you want real life scenarios from the users on this forum where someone used that safe in an emergency?

paladin
January 10th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Whats keeping someone from just stealing the safe? Really, the only good gun safe is 3/8 steel, with 4 9in anchor bolts.

hobojoe
January 10th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Get some venom and kill yourself. Then you don't have to worry about dying in a glorious gunfight.

If the gun fits in there and the lock is secure...what more do you want for that money? Do you want real life scenarios from the users on this forum where someone used that safe in an emergency?

Well I'd like preferences, dislikes, good brands and overall use quality.
And I don't really need a real life situation, just what I mentioned.
And I'm sure killing myself with venom would stop someone from robbing my house,
raping my wife and killing my family. thanks for the tip

Whats keeping someone from just stealing the safe? Really, the only good gun safe is 3/8 steel, with 4 9in anchor bolts.

I already have garage safe down stairs, the thing is massive, I'm afraid of it falling through our second story.
And I never really though about theft, is there something that's a bit lighter that you could suggest?

sleepy1212
January 11th, 2011, 01:12 PM
get the cheapest one you can like a simple cash box or a plastic tool box with a padlock because after you put your gun in there, the only way you're gonna defend yourself is by throwing the safe at them. might as well keep it out with the clip out and save money staying legal.

Limited
January 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM
The reason for the safe is not to prevent from theft, its to abide by the law to keep it locked away so people cant access it. Surely you of all people would know that. If someone steals it yeah sure it sucks. But they wouldn't be able to open it.

Patssj6
January 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
The reason for the safe is not to prevent from theft, its to abide by the law to keep it locked away so people cant access it. Surely you of all people would know that. If someone steals it yeah sure it sucks. But they wouldn't be able to open it.

I don't know American law but I am pretty sure you are responsible for the weapon so you should also make sure that your safe cannot be stolen. They get it open eventually.

Limited
January 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I don't know American law but I am pretty sure you are responsible for the weapon so you should also make sure that your safe cannot be stolen. They get it open eventually.
"...shall keep the firearm in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or shall secure it with a trigger lock."

Yeah, a 'box/container' doesnt sound heavy and un-stealable to me...

Patssj6
January 11th, 2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8i3zVGQFKo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8i3zVGQFKo&feature=related)

Might want to watch that :D Not sure its the same though.

hobojoe
January 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Thank you for something constructive, will definitely look into the locking mechanism

t3h m00kz
January 12th, 2011, 02:52 AM
>home defense

http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/deluxe_spiked_barbarian_club_hidden_blade.jpg

it's seriously listed under "self defense" at true swords.

EX12693
January 12th, 2011, 02:58 AM
It's the Boston Basher... O_o

Warsaw
January 12th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Germans used shit like that in World War I.

t3h m00kz
January 12th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Ah, those Germans. They didn't fuck around.

Patssj6
January 12th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Germans used shit like that in World War I.
You don't know what the French were like :3

sleepy1212
January 12th, 2011, 07:36 AM
You don't know what the French were like :3

nobody does. they were hiding.

hobojoe
January 12th, 2011, 09:44 AM
nobody does. they were hiding.
Win

Warsaw
January 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Win

If untrue. They kicked serious ass in the First World War while the British and Americans were getting slaughtered wholesale. Case in point: 1 July 1916; the Somme. The French captured all of their objectives and held. What did the British do? Lose 57,640 men for no gains.

Now World War II, completely different story. They hid behind the wall and the Germans went around said wall and proceeded to pillage unmolested.

Patssj6
January 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM
If untrue. They kicked serious ass in the First World War while the British and Americans were getting slaughtered wholesale. Case in point: 1 July 1916; the Somme. The French captured all of their objectives and held. What did the British do? Lose 57,640 men for no gains.

Now World War II, completely different story. They hid behind the wall and the Germans went around said wall and proceeded to pillage unmolested.

Finally an American who knows something about history. Schlieffen plan failed after all.

Warsaw
January 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM
The Schleiffen plan failed because of one stupid decision: they decided to attack Paris from the East as opposed to the West. If they had stuck to the Plan, France wouldn't have been in a position to defend, and the British weren't of much use at this point in the war except as meat shields to soak up hits. Don't get me wrong, the British infantryman was one well-honed soldier...don't scoff at 20 rounds-per-minute of aimed fire; it was their artillery and command that was killing them, sometimes literally. Basically, France got lucky. Germany has a history of brilliant military prowess being squandered by high-ranking, unfit aristocrats/bureaucrats making decisions.

I love my country, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the integrity of fact for it. Plain and simple, we sucked in the First World War. Late to the party, mooched off of everyone, and didn't do so well until the very end. And then we were disgustingly rude to our fighting minorities during and after that.

Nero
January 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I agree, the countries stated above would make a great Protection Gun Safe.

Warsaw
January 12th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Not today they wouldn't. :p