PDA

View Full Version : An Atheist was Taking a Walk Through the Woods

Patssj6
January 13th, 2011, 09:25 AM
An Atheist was taking a walk through the woods.
What majestic trees!
What powerful rivers!
"What beautiful animals!" he said to himself.
As he was walking alongside the river he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He turned to look. He saw a 7-foot grizzly charging towards him.
He ran as fast as he could up the path.
He looked over his shoulder and saw that the bear was closing in on him.
He looked over his shoulder again, and the bear was even closer. He tripped and fell on the ground.
He rolled over to pick himself up but saw the bear right on top of him, reaching for him with his left paw and raising his right paw to strike him.
At that instant the Atheist cried out:
"Oh my God!..."
Time stopped.
The bear froze.
The forest was silent.
As a bright light shone upon the man, a voice came out of the sky:
"You deny my existence for all of these years, teach others I don't exist, and even credit creation to a cosmic accident. Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament? Am I to count you as a believer?"
The atheist looked directly into the light, "It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask You to treat me as a Christian now, but perhaps could you make the BEAR a Christian?"
"Very well," said the voice.
The light went out. The sounds of the forest resumed. And then the bear dropped his right paw, brought both paws together and bowed his head and spoke:
Lord, bless this food,
which I am about to receive
from thy bounty
through Christ our Lord,
Amen.

...many Christians have send me this joke but every time I read it I have the feeling it is making fun of Christians and not of atheists? Elaborate, it is not my mother tongue after all.

InnerGoat
January 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Teh joke is that God forgives LOL thats a good 1

Praise the lord :)

Kornman00
January 13th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Was the bear black?

Patssj6
January 13th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Nah then he would be dancing and singing

paladin
January 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Was the bear black?

Racist

Ifafudafi
January 13th, 2011, 03:26 PM
It's both imho, reasonably funny either way you swing

Donut
January 13th, 2011, 04:10 PM
the joke is the bear is saying a prayer thanking god for the guy hes about to eat, like how some people say grace before a meal. that is pretty funny.

Patssj6
January 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM
the joke is the bear is saying a prayer thanking god for the guy hes about to eat, like how some people say grace before a meal. that is pretty funny.

Is that the whole joke? Seems pretty flat...

From the Christian point of view they find it funny the atheist begging for mercy and still getting killed because of being infaithful.

From the Atheist point of view it's that even though the bear is a Christian, he has not changed and just prays before doing the same thing as he always does, which is to kill.

Dwood
January 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM
...many Christians have send me this joke but every time I read it I have the feeling it is making fun of Christians and not of atheists? Elaborate, it is not my mother tongue after all.

Funny no matter what way man.

Patssj6
January 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
So the whole joke is just that he prays? -.-'

Usually I like American humor but this joke is just really :smith:

=sw=warlord
January 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM
So the whole joke is just that he prays? -.-'

Usually I like American humor but this joke is just really :smith:
Problem is many atheists use the phrase "oh my god" out of pure habit, and that's where the joke come's into it's own.
It's kind of like the cliché jokes which states the obvious and is supposedly funny for it.
It's no more amusing than the question of what do you call a upside down penguin, a suit on a cloak hangar.

Donut
January 13th, 2011, 05:49 PM
well its funny if you grew up with this sort of thing. my whole family is catholic so they usually pray at family dinners, so when the bear prays, its funny to me.

frankly, i think youre overthinking this way to much. its just a chainmail joke, lol.

Patssj6
January 13th, 2011, 08:06 PM
well its funny if you grew up with this sort of thing. my whole family is catholic so they usually pray at family dinners, so when the bear prays, its funny to me.

frankly, i think youre overthinking this way to much. its just a chainmail joke, lol.

not really a chainmail but from some mexican christians :v:

Dwood
January 14th, 2011, 02:56 AM
The real question here is why this even bothers you enough to make the post of the thread about it. You're reading too far into it... Especially since there are several different versions of it (the one I saw from when I was like 7) that don't specify that the guy's an atheist. The one I'm familiar with just says "A guy was walking through the forest..."
and doesn't detail about how he admires the creation etc etc.

Patssj6
January 14th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Trust me I had my reasons for it...because those people are not your ordinary Christian people that go to church :P

DarkHalo003
January 16th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I think the word Christian is too broadly categorized. It's too difficult to explain what a real Christian is though. People claim they are Christian, even if they do a lot against Christian beliefs. People claim they have been Christian and thus their departure from Christianity is justified in their eyes because they found a flaw in something they apparently believed in. People who follow all of the notions of a Christian yet send these witty jokes to Atheists/Nihilists also claim they are Christian. But harassing those opposite to their beliefs is contrary to their own beliefs. The stereotyped Christian usually doesn't dissect their emotions and realize the pointless badgering they are conducting. The real Christian doesn't parody or jab at other religions/non-religions without a justifiable reason, as in, an individual takes something completely out of context and goes to town with it, therefore the real Christian next to this misguided individual can correct him in the proper way (not violently). But this isn't my point nor the point of the joke.

My point is, like Dwood and Donut are saying, you're generalizing stereotypes and looking into this WAY too much. Someone thought it'd be clever to send someone they either know or don't know is Christian/Atheist this joke to illicit a reaction. They may have trolled you, so don't over-think the joke. It's a satire and parody. Laugh with it.

Hotrod
January 16th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Meh, I thought it was funny.

Dwood
January 16th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Meh, I thought it was funny.

everyone here did but patty bro.

Bodzilla
January 16th, 2011, 11:15 PM
DH, theres hundreds of denominations all claiming to be true christians.

therefore there is no true christians.

DarkHalo003
January 17th, 2011, 08:03 AM
DH, theres hundreds of denominations all claiming to be true christians.

therefore there is no true christians.
I wouldn't say there are no true Christians, but I think it's proper to say that there is no true Denomination. Christianity is Christianity; as long as it follows what Jesus Christ said and only abides to those words then it can be considered Christian. Really, all denominations are are just different customs and traditions.

Patssj6
January 17th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Dwood and DarkHalo I declare you officially retarded.

You don't get the simplest point so you shouldn't even talk about ideologies. Grow up first.