PDA

View Full Version : My first Ticket.

TeeKup
January 17th, 2011, 02:26 AM
So on my way home from work, I got my first traffic ticket.

155$ because I didn't dim my blinders....good thing I get paid tomorrow.

Seriously though...155$?

Timo
January 17th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Most people here (including cops) just flash their lights at you if you leave your lights on high beam, i've never heard of anyone getting a fine. That sucks :\

Warsaw
January 17th, 2011, 03:24 AM
As far as I'm concerned, most policing is a scam to make money for the precinct. A "sting" is basically a form of entrapment, cops have to speed to catch someone speeding (hell, they speed anyways), and you can't cite them on anything they do wrong because the judge throws it out.

Seriously. I have no respect for anything that tries to uphold rules by braking them. See someone flying down the road? Notify the next cruiser down the road and have him get blocked. It's bad enough that we have ONE car flying down the road, but when a cop gives chase, now we have TWO. Then we have the scum who flash their lights just to go through a red, or push the button to force the lights green for no reason.

Call me unreasonable or short-sighted, but I only respect authority of those who follow the rules. Don't expect me to do something if the ones in charge don't have to be held to it, too.

Bodzilla
January 17th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Well said.

Cops are fucked these days.

Patssj6
January 17th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Im in Mexico I just pay a bribe.

Bodzilla
January 17th, 2011, 08:40 AM
On a weird note, My Gf had her first Buyer today.

Old Irish dude with dementia tryed to buy her. "10 grand, a house and i've got 10 kids, what more could you want"

True story

Corndogman
January 17th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Wow, I wasn't even aware you could get a ticket for that. Thats the most bullshit excuse for cops to scam money I've ever heard.

@Warsaw: I agree with everything you said except for chasing down the speeders, that's why they have the lights/sirens, you're supposed to move out of their way. Besides there may not always be another cruiser down the road. You're spot on about everything else though.

=sw=warlord
January 17th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Serve by setting an example and punishing those who break the law not by lowering to their level and repeating the same offence.

Warsaw
January 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Wow, I wasn't even aware you could get a ticket for that. Thats the most bullshit excuse for cops to scam money I've ever heard.

@Warsaw: I agree with everything you said except for chasing down the speeders, that's why they have the lights/sirens, you're supposed to move out of their way. Besides there may not always be another cruiser down the road. You're spot on about everything else though.

It's just the idea that they are allowed to speed to catch speeders that irks me the most. Set up a speed trap, damnit, that's how you're supposed to do it anyways.

Cortexian
January 17th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Dunno about where you are Warsaw, but here Police will usually just grab the plates via camera and ticket the person instead of giving chase. Unless the person is going insanely fast, to the point of endangering other people or doesn't stop when told to pull over by a cop doing a traffic speed check on the side of the road. In that case they fire up their sirens and lights and give chase in order to give other people on the road a chance to know something is wrong and get the fuck out of the way.

I'd rather hear a siren and see some lights behind me, pull over, and not get hit by the drunk doing 240 down the highway. That's just me though.

paladin
January 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Gotta fill the state budget deficit somehow

http://www.reelingreviews.com/supertrooperspic.jpg

Bodzilla
January 17th, 2011, 07:55 PM
the problem with Cops and fines is the dependece on them by governments.

As soon as you factor in fines into budgets or develope a dependence on them you have developed a conflict of interest which in any other profession is against the law.

Your not doing it for the people anymore.

Cops to me are just A different form of tax collecting.

paladin
January 17th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Cops to me are just A different form of tax collecting.

It is totally this. Thats why I drive by 5 state patrol officers EVERY morning on the 4 miles of interstate I drive to school.

Patssj6
January 17th, 2011, 08:40 PM
It is totally this. Thats why I drive by 5 state patrol officers EVERY morning on the 4 miles of interstate I drive to school.

Actually it's not (at least I am 90% sure). The costs are higher than the income they get from fines.

Bodzilla
January 17th, 2011, 08:50 PM
They're predicting revenue to top 570 million in speed cameras alone in australia.

Warsaw
January 17th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Dunno about where you are Warsaw, but here Police will usually just grab the plates via camera and ticket the person instead of giving chase. Unless the person is going insanely fast, to the point of endangering other people or doesn't stop when told to pull over by a cop doing a traffic speed check on the side of the road. In that case they fire up their sirens and lights and give chase in order to give other people on the road a chance to know something is wrong and get the fuck out of the way.

I'd rather hear a siren and see some lights behind me, pull over, and not get hit by the drunk doing 240 down the highway. That's just me though.

DC metro area. Cops are essentially scum here. State troopers are the least bad.

Hotrod
January 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I've only ever gotten pulled over once in my life, and that's cause they said the car that I was driving looked like the car of some guy who stole something (obviously it wasn't me). I dunno, cops seem pretty chill where I live (Ottawa, Ontario), though I have seen plenty of cases of corrupted cops in other places.

Corndogman
January 18th, 2011, 01:09 AM
It's just the idea that they are allowed to speed to catch speeders that irks me the most. Set up a speed trap, damnit, that's how you're supposed to do it anyways.

True... basically what freelancer said though, if somebody is going way too fast the cop should just get em rights there. And most of the time there isn't gonna be a "chase", the cop will just turn on his lights as soon as he sees the speeder and they'll pull over.

Warsaw
January 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM
If he notices at all. Too many variables. Easiest just to set the trap and arm it when the guy whizzes by. Lord knows there is a huge surplus of police around here.

Bodzilla
January 19th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Today saw a car who was probably going 45 k an hour in a 50 zone, with a Patrol car doing at least 75 + in a 50 zone in a street where the is a billion kids that all like to play on the road or head to the boat ramp for a play in the park.
Must of had a faulty speed camera. oh and he wasnt using lights or a siren.

Gj Pigs, fucking cunts.

Abdurahman
January 19th, 2011, 07:15 PM
last month i accidentally parked in a tow away zone between 4 and 7 pm here in LA, i parked like at 3:30 and thought it wold be a quick errand, i forgot about it and remembered like at 4:15, I was running to the spot but it was long gone! So I had to pay $262 to the towing company to get out the next morning, like on the other side of the city >_>. Once I get to my car i see a 90 dollar parking ticket on my windshield..........

PlasbianX
January 20th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Mmk, so I'm in college and I don't live on campus. I have a 30 min commute every day from where I live to campus. There's a shit ton of parking lots all around campus, but the only two parking lots commuters can park in are on the farthest points away from where all the main buildings are. But that's besides the point. Anyways, I pay $60 a semester for a pass stating that I can park in either of those two lots. The pass is this sticker that's applied to the inside windshield of your car and its nearly impossibly to get off without destroying it.

ANYWAYS, the other day the tube connecting my engine to my muffler broke. The result? My car was louder than a motorcycle, definitely not street legal. So I'm like okay, I'll get it fixed and just drive my sister's car to class. No big deal right? I call campus security and they told me to make sure I stop in their office in the morning and pick up a temp parking pass. Cool. No big deal right? So the next day I drive her car, park it, and go to their office and they tell me "Our ticketing guy isn't in today. We won't ticket you though if you're in the right lot. Don't worry about getting a pass."

Okay.. so I don't have the temp pass on my car. But they told me that the guy who tickets isn't in and not to worry. No big deal. I go to class, 9 am to 5, go back to my car and what do I see...

A MOTHER FUCKING $250 PARKING VIOLATION TICKET ON MY CAR/

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I raged, literally. There's a dent on the front side of my car where I kicked it as hard as I could. I go back to their office...
"Yeah, he ended up coming in today."

......WHAT?!

So i argued with em, ripped up the ticket, left it there, and left. Haven't talked to them since it happened, but fuck em anyways.

/rant

Hotrod
January 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Dude...that sucks balls. Though, they told you not to worry about it so it's their problem, not your's. There's no reason why you should have to pay that ticket.

Warsaw
January 20th, 2011, 10:18 PM
College can't enforce shit anyways. At least they don't put a boot on your car. Over here, they put boots on you if there's no parking permit.

paladin
January 20th, 2011, 11:37 PM
College can't enforce shit anyways. At least they don't put a boot on your car. Over here, they put boots on you if there's no parking permit.

Thats not true. AT my first University, our campus had its own police force.

Hotrod
January 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah, mine has that too. And it turns out we need to call them if ever our toilet clogs up too >.>

Roostervier
January 21st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Here the cops are worse than usual. Not only do they constantly harass you by following you around for no reason sometimes, but they have a terrible habit of speeding. About a month ago a cop was heading to McDonald's (they get free food there) going like 60 or 70 mph in a 35 without his lights on, and he T-boned an suv. Me and a buddy saw it happen right in front of us. We just drove on by because there were already like 50 people trying to help, but we stayed updated. The person that got T-boned eventually died, and after initial reports of speeding, the final report said that he was going the speed limit and that the suv pulled out in front of him. I saw both vehicles, and there is no way both of the vehicles could have looked as fucked as they did unless he was going like 30 over the speed limit.

This is what disgusts me the most, though: the cop didn't even get in any trouble... no suspension, he wasn't fired, nothing. If it were a regular citizen that had hit the suv and killed that lady, they would have been charged with vehicular manslaughter. Fuck the police, no justice no peace.

Dwood
January 21st, 2011, 03:10 PM
This is what disgusts me the most, though: the cop didn't even get in any trouble... no suspension, he wasn't fired, nothing. If it were a regular citizen that had hit the suv and killed that lady, they would have been charged with vehicular manslaughter. Fuck the police, no justice no peace.

The family can enter a lawsuit against the coppers for things like that... There's ways to prove the cop wasn't going the speed limit given the totaled cars are still held in a junk yard somewhere.

Warsaw
January 21st, 2011, 08:22 PM

My community college has one, too. But they aren't going to follow you up if you shred a bill.

p0lar_bear
January 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I once got pulled over for my brights being on. Thing is though, usually those fucking LED array headlights I hate with a passion are about as twice as bright as my headlights on high. Didn't get a ticket for it though, thankfully.

My first ticket was for me speeding at 63 MPH uphill in a 45 zone; I was late for work. I showed up on my court date and after waiting some, I finally talked to the DA and they threw it out since it was my first ticket in the 3 years I'd been driving. I got lucky, wish you could have had the same luck Teek. :/

Donut
January 30th, 2011, 06:25 PM
i havent been pulled over yet (had license for a year, driving regularly for half a year), but i definitly see cops being assholes around here. i was driving on highway 95 today on the way back from my friend's house. i go over this incline, and theres a cop sitting in the breakdown lane. the speed limit is 65 mph, and i was going about 80, so i slow down to ~65 and drive by the cop. no issue. i speed back up to about 70 mph after i get a good distance away from the cop. less than half a mile later, theres another fucking cop sitting in the breakdown lane. now im a little shaken up since iv always thought putting one cop car after the other like that would be a great way to catch speeders, but this is the first time iv ever seen it. so now im staying under 70 mph, and ~2 miles later, theres a 3rd cop car, this one sitting in one of those "official use only" paths in the middle of the highway. glorious use of police resources, guys.

about 3 months ago, it was raining and i was driving on that same road on the way home from school, and i flew by that same official use road at over 70 mph. there was a cop sitting there. the speed limit on that road is 55mph. when i saw the cop car i was like "oh shit" and slowed down, but i still ended up flying by at about 70. the guy didnt do anything, probably because it was raining.

oh heres another one. about 5 years ago this cop pulled over my grandfather when he was switching into one of those lanes to make a turn. according to the cop, one of his back tires went over the line that breaks off and becomes the turning lane's line, and the cop gave my grandfather a ticket for that.

at the university near my house, there is actually a guy who gets paid to lie prone on a roof and monitor this one parking lot to make sure nobody parks there that shouldnt park there. from what iv been told, youre not supposed to park there for more than 5 minutes, but alot of people do. idk if you need a pass or not. there are no signs explaining the rules either. i wouldnt know about this at all, except that i saw the guy on the roof last summer and asked one of the graduates i was with what the guy was doing. the guy has a walkie talkie, and the second anybody goes over 5 minutes or parks without permission, he barks the plate number into the walkie talkie, and a guy in a tow truck hiding around a corner comes and takes the car away. best part? this roof guy get 100 bucks per tow from the university, no questions asked.

Bodzilla
January 31st, 2011, 03:50 AM
someone should take that roof guy out the back and deliver into his rectum some sort of wrench shaped tool.

TVTyrant
January 31st, 2011, 04:02 AM
best part? this roof guy get 100 bucks per tow from the university, no questions asked.

I. Want. This. Job.

Unless it were snowing/raining, and then it would suck.

Bodzilla
January 31st, 2011, 04:20 AM
I. Want. This. Job.

Unless it were snowing/raining, and then it would suck.
how does it feel to literally be scum.

TVTyrant
January 31st, 2011, 05:44 AM
Pretty good for 100 bucks a tow :iamafag: