PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question to all you pro mappers.

stilts
January 22nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
I searched around on google and on this site and couldn't find anything really. Anyways I was just trying to figure out how many triangles/polys are too many when going about modeling/making a map.

Rentafence
January 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
As long as you portal it properly, you can go as high as you like. There's a limit to the amount of triangles that can be draw per cluster I believe, but I think the map is either limitless in the amount of triangles it can have, or some obscenely high power of 2.

stilts
January 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
As long as you portal it properly, you can go as high as you like. There's a limit to the amount of triangles that can be draw per cluster I believe, but I think the map is either limitless in the amount of triangles it can have, or some obscenely high power of 2.

Thanks

Roostervier
January 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
Good portalling requires a lot of skill. Try not go to over 100k to 200k, I mean it is a really old engine. Any higher than that and you might as well be modding for a different game/sdk.

NitrousOxide
February 3rd, 2011, 03:55 AM
The recommended poly limit for Halo CE is 10,000 polys and Halo 2 is 20,000. The faster machines of today can handle a little more, and with clever cluster work you can make it better, but it's still just Halo. The game will start falling apart when it has to render too much, will start removing things and garbage collecting on it's own, and you don't want random things being silently omitted from your level and/or flickering/artifacting without you knowing about it. Do not put 100-200k polys in your level.......it will never work.