PDA

View Full Version : HCE Project: Unify Halo Custom Edition

Patrickssj6
January 24th, 2011, 12:41 PM
The Problem
The most common problem in Halo Custom Edition is that there are players playing on two big versions (v1.00 and v1.09). The latest version has fixed several exploits (mostly DoS) but the only crack that exists is for version v1.00. After v1.08, SafeDisc was stripped from the original executable and thus a CD is not required anymore. Still the majority of pirates are still playing servers on v1.00.

Our Goal
Our goal was to unify both versions into one by having the Halo Custom Edition Dedicated Servers appear on both server lists (v1.00 and v1.09). This is done by having the server switch every interval its own version and afterwards sends the information to GameSpy. It might be for a short period of time that the server will not appear on one of the lists. Our tests have shown though that this small sacrifice still leads to a higher player count inside the server.

http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/?p=466

Enjoy.

For all you trolls: CD Key Check was not removed.

sevlag
January 24th, 2011, 01:01 PM
The Problem
The most common problem in Halo Custom Edition is that there are players playing on two big versions (v1.00 and v1.09). The latest version has fixed several exploits (mostly DoS) but the only crack that exists is for version v1.00. After v1.08, SafeDisc was stripped from the original executable and thus a CD is not required anymore. Still the majority of pirates are still playing servers on v1.00.

Our Goal
Our goal was to unify both versions into one by having the Halo Custom Edition Dedicated Servers appear on both server lists (v1.00 and v1.09). This is done by having the server switch every interval its own version and afterwards sends the information to GameSpy. It might be for a short period of time that the server will not appear on one of the lists. Our tests have shown though that this small sacrifice still leads to a higher player count inside the server.

http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/?p=466

Enjoy.

For all you trolls: CD Key Check was not removed.you do know that alot of people play1.00 because they like to boat

Patrickssj6
January 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
boat? Good thing you quoted my whole post otherwise I wouldn't know your reference.

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
January 24th, 2011, 03:13 PM
You do know that a lot of people play 1.00ce because they like to bot.ftfy

Patrickssj6
January 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Then his concern is completely redundant because...

Most bots work on 1.07 and higher and some of them are exclusively 1.07 and higher.
CD Key Check is still in place.

Timo
January 24th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Great app, finally a solution to this problem.

Does anyone know the total number of players that are normally on at one time across all versions?

Higuy
January 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM
1.00 normally has a around 800 - 1200 from what I've seen at times.

1.09 - like 100.

Patrickssj6
January 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Great app, finally a solution to this problem.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Contacted =CE= and =DG= since they host the most servers...we'll see how this turns out I guess. Though this is to promote more custom maps on v1.00 and they just play the usual crap like Snipers No Shield.

Oh and apparantly some people really have hypochondrias. "When I am playing 1.09 I don't want any 1.00".

Cortexian
January 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks a bunch Pat, I've been talking with Skyline about a different approach to this that might work slightly better. He was thinking of integrating it into his server app eventually (busy now), but how does this idea sound?

Have an app, or some kind of modification to the server that broadcasts a "ghost" 1.00 server to gamespy. Now, it's not an actual server, it's just broadcasting the server data from the "real" 1.09 server like gametype info, player info, etc. However when someone connects to this "ghost" server it actually connects them to the 1.09 server. This would eliminate the current (small) issue where the server alternates between versions instead of showing up on both simultaneously.

Maybe you could look into this Pat? If you get anywhere with it, please share your results with Skyline!

Patrickssj6
January 24th, 2011, 04:53 PM
The thing is that GameSpy refuses (I think) the same server from the same IP/Port for two versions. Making it appear simultaneously impossible. Furthermore the client requests the connection IP from GameSpy so there is no way to "ghost" it from somewhere else.

GameSpy would have to accept a connection from a single IP/Port to appear on both lists.

Cortexian
January 24th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I'm pretty sure you can run two dedicated servers with different versions on the same machine and have them show up in the list. I don't remember ever hearing differently.

Patrickssj6
January 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM
but they have different ports...so that might be a reason.

Cortexian
January 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Touche...

Patrickssj6
January 24th, 2011, 07:39 PM
The next time GameSpy threatens to take down the servers, we'll just write our own and this problem can be fixed :P

Rentafence
January 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM
On the topic of "Unifying Halo Custom Edition", as far as custom maps go, has there been any thought to making an unofficial 1.10 version with some sort of ability to retrieve maps the client doesn't have?

E: Wait I forgot Halo would have to restart completely for the map to be run anyway. Never mind.

Cortexian
January 25th, 2011, 06:08 PM
It's still a good idea, and something that needs to happen.

Patrickssj6
January 25th, 2011, 06:10 PM
On the topic of "Unifying Halo Custom Edition", as far as custom maps go, has there been any thought to making an unofficial 1.10 version with some sort of ability to retrieve maps the client doesn't have?

E: Wait I forgot Halo would have to restart completely for the map to be run anyway. Never mind.
We would have to modify the client for that..otherwise it's of course a great idea.

Cortexian
January 25th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Again, next time GameSpy makes an announcement that they're going to bring down the list server we can integrate something like this. Honestly if you don't care about pirates, it might be a cool idea to integrate a client that auto-downloads map files from halomaps or something and also checks a community hosted list server.

Kornman00
January 25th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Since this is out now, mind posting the changes you did? I could look into implementing a tweakable system in OS.

Amit
January 26th, 2011, 01:26 AM
The thing I find most astounding is that the thought of doing this only took place two weeks ago. If it was so simple, why did it take so long for us to start doing it?

If you even managed to get the client to download the map automatically, I don't see how it would be difficult to have the game restart itself automatically...and maybe join a server directly. Hell, you might as well make a Modacity edition of the Halo Client lol.

Kornman00
January 26th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Well there are very few programmers, let alone reverse engineers, left in this community. I didn't want to have any part in v1.00 matters as I it's just aiding pirates mostly, but it's out now so might as well include support for it in OS in a configurable manner.

There's functionality in OS to rehash the maps folder while running halo (you'd have to be in the mainmenu) but I haven't exposed anything to the user for doing so yet

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Remember, CD Key Check is still in place so no pirates http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/pirate2.gif

It's all written inline with a code cave...

This function retrieves the version number from hard coded address. For my purposes I changed the location of it.
Added the jump before the function...changed the original function call 5 bytes forward.
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1121/asm2.png

This is the cave itself...basically just a switch which moves the 2 different version numbers into the hard coded address.
All 3 addresses I use are in the dump window.
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9728/asm1.png

Additionally you can change the Sleep value of the Loop here. 2 bytes after the instruction obviously the time with 4 bytes.http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2078/asm3.png

Don't forget that the original hardcoded value is in .rdata with no write privlidges (obviously). I moved everything to .text and changed R/W because I was lazy.

Amit
January 26th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I didn't get the portable version of CE working with the servers. However, normal CE works just fine.

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Yeah, I didn't get the portable version of CE working with the servers. However, normal CE works just fine.
That is strange...they didn't shop up?

They only spam on 1.00 and 1.09. Did you modify the ports by any chance? If they are the same as the servers they won't show up afaik.

Rentafence
January 26th, 2011, 07:33 AM
integrate a client that auto-downloads map files from halomaps or something

I'm pretty sure that last time this idea came up Dennis said no way. You could always have it retrieve the map directly from the server you're trying to connect to, I guess, but what with the size of Halo's maps I'm not sure how that would affect players on the server.

E: Has anyone ever tried getting a hold of Sawnose to try and get him to implement certain features in a new patch?

jcap
January 26th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I proposed an autodownload map feature to Kornman for him to possibly build into OS, but he didn't want to work on it. I would host the maps here on a subdomain, so it wouldn't burden Halomaps.

The most difficult thing would just be finding out what map the server is running. It would have to get in the way somehow. You think it could check to see if you have the same map as the server when you attempt to join, and pop up an overlay that says you don't have the map with a "download" button and even a "rejoin" button that will automatically reconnect you to the server you were just booted from?

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 10:02 AM
To be honest, this is not something that should be added externally with an extension. To do this decently you need the source code.

I don't even think the servers store the current maps in use in a list.

The best way is that there is a server query tool that monitors all the maps currently in use by dedicated servers and direct links them. Modifying Server and Client would just break everything.

Sean Aero
January 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM
The Unify Halo CE is certainly interesting and I think it has came across many peoples mind. So great job to see some progress on this area.:golfclap:
However I expect as a server owner one would like their server always 100% shown on at least their main/preferred version.
Still very original executed and I hope development will be continued to improve this method.

Just a random thought.
Have you thought about focusing on the client side instead? Getting all the different versions to show up in the client's game lobby and from there join the different servers with the aid of Goemitar's, or other, version changer. (if this is possible?)

E: Has anyone ever tried getting a hold of Sawnose to try and get him to implement certain features in a new patch?

People at the Bungie Forums certainly have and a debate during the last patch just ended up with this post:

My involvement will continue to be limited to only the tiny spot-fixes that keep the game from instant death at the hands of a new OS or crashing exploit.

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Just a random thought.
Have you thought about focusing on the client side instead? Getting all the different versions to show up in the client's game lobby and from there join the different servers with the aid of Goemitar's, or other, version changer. (if this is possible?)

Haha how come we never thought of that :S

The problem still remains that 1.00 people want to stay with 1.00 anyway and 1.09 people have the version changer so I guess this wouldn't change a lot.

jcap
January 26th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hey Pat, I think there's a problem...

The server just randomly stops working. The server doesn't crash, though. Here's the symptoms:

Server doesn't appear in the list anymore, any program that checks the status of the server sees it as down.
No one can join the game.
The console window is actually responsive. I can type stuff into the console and press enter, however only some things work...
For instance, sv_players DOES NOT work (results in a blank line, no feedback).
However, sv_maplist DOES work.
The "dedicated server is running on map..." text stops.

At first I thought it could be sapp, but I don't think it is anymore. I removed the dll from one of the servers and the same problem happened again. I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue with Windows either.

I'd try with the default unmodified (except for ddos patches) server exe, but I don't have one on hand. Can someone get me this so I can test?

Sean Aero
January 26th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Haha how come we never thought of that :S

The problem still remains that 1.00 people want to stay with 1.00 anyway and 1.09 people have the version changer so I guess this wouldn't change a lot.

I didn't realize that the pirates would not add something client side which would show servers that have a CD Key check from v1.09 server. Still for 1.09 players it would still be nice, since it gives them more options.

With your approach you would be able to bug a lot of pirates by hosting CD key checked 1.09 server and show them in the 1.00 lobby.

Bottom line is: if you want the different versions to be truly unified.
It would come down to supporting piracy by removing CD key check on all servers.
The question is do you(people in general) want that?

Pooky
January 26th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I didn't realize that the pirates would not add something client side which would show servers that have a CD Key check from v1.09 server. Still for 1.09 players it would still be nice, since it gives them more options.

With your approach you would be able to bug a lot of pirates by hosting CD key checked 1.09 server and show them in the 1.00 lobby.

It would come down to supporting piracy by removing CD key check on all servers.

Anyone who would pirate an 8 year old, 20 dollar game is a worthless cunt.

So no.

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM
The exe before I modified it was already modified because of SAPP / Rec0...that might be a problem.

My modifications don't modify anything critical and should be 100% bullet proof.

This is the version Freelancer gave me before I added my modifciations:
http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/downloads/HaloCEDED/haloceded_sapp.rar

Do all servers run the same configuration (1.08 / SAPP)?

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 11:16 AM

So no.

What a nice and thoroughly thought out point of view you have there :P

I don't have anything against pirates...since about 50% of those trolls have pirated things themselves in their lives. The major problem is though that people cannot be banned if we remove the CD Key Check and this is the major flaw.

jcap
January 26th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Actually I think I'm using the 1.09 exe with sapp and your patches...

He has a rec0 version, but I don't think he gave me that one since it's not running Devicator.

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Right click and check because SAPP only works with the 1.08 afaik and definitively not with my 1.09.

jcap
January 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Yeah I did right click and check the version. It is 1.09.

But sapp WAS working (when the server didn't lock up)... Even when I removed the dll, it still kept doing this. Could it be the way it patched the exe, so even though the dll isn't loaded, it's still becoming unresponsive?

And sapp does support 1.09: http://www.xhalo.co.cc/

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I have a feeling let me test something quick :P

Amit
January 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM
That is strange...they didn't shop up?

They only spam on 1.00 and 1.09. Did you modify the ports by any chance? If they are the same as the servers they won't show up afaik.

No, I didn't change anything. The portable one is a pirate version, after all.

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Ok just like I thought:

I appended my code cave to the end of the file. What the patcher does it browse for empty space in the file which was right after my little cave. BUT the end of my cave is a null terminated string. The patcher overwrote the null and appended it's code.

There are 2 options:

You use the 1.08 version which has all the SAPP already integrated
or I patch my 1.09 version to be comptaible with SAPP.

I think I am going to do the second thing and remove the SAPP version completely from the package.

EDIT:
Try this one www.vivid-abstractions.net/downloads/HaloCEDED/haloceded_109_orig_all_sapp_patched_for_jcap.rar

Rentafence
January 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Someone get a fucking job at Bungie and take over for Sawnose holy shit

jcap
January 26th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Ok, I just copied over that file. The good news comes in already: sapp is able to "unload" now. Before, if I tried to unload it, nothing would happen. I think this is definitely going to work now.

jcap
January 26th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Someone get a fucking job at Bungie and take over for Sawnose holy shit
Kornman tried.

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Perfect, gonna go ahead and update the version on my site.

Cortexian
January 26th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I had a good 150+ private message conversation with him back at the 1.09 release about adding different things, including some way for the client to download maps directly from the server. He asked me to bounce ideas off of him for features that the community wanted. I remember asking for more admin control in the dedicated server, similar to what SAPP, Rec0, and other server apps offer. I also asked about the server lists, trying to get the client to bring in servers from all the versions of the game since there's no compatibility issue between 1.00 and 1.09. Obviously asked about downloading maps directly from the game server to the client, however he never really got back to me with anything on this except the usual "good idea, I'll take a look at it and talk to my co-workers" type response.

If the client auto-downloaded maps it needed from game servers, that would put a lot of bandwidth strain onto the game servers themselves. We would need a way to limit how fast a player can download map files from game servers, as well as put a limit on the bandwidth allowed for map transfers in a month or something. I don't think professional hosting companies like GameServers.com would take lightly to Halo servers suddenly quadrupling in bandwidth costs a month... Downloading the maps from a repository like hce.halomaps.org would be THE BEST solution. I really have no idea why Dennis would be against such a thing, after-all, if this all happened in a custom client, how hard would it be to replace that "power by gamespy" logo with a "powered by halomaps" logo? ;)

jcap
January 26th, 2011, 02:52 PM
The best way to handle map downloads would be to do what I said. If Modacity acted as the central host for auto map downloads, there would be no strain on the Halo servers when a client wants to join.

In Counter Strike Source, it defaults to downloading the map from the game server. The server limits the download speed to prevent lag. Alternatively, you can specify an auto map download URL in the server's config file, which will point to a web server for downloading the maps to the client. That's basically what I'm suggesting here, except it would be a hardcoded URL into the OS dll.

Also, I don't think you'd be able to replace the Gamespy logo UNLESS ui.map was modified. Me, ShadowSpartan, and Timo were attempting to replace UI bitmaps in memory (for custom map images), but it didn't work. You can only change the reference to a bitmap in memory.

Patrickssj6
January 26th, 2011, 03:03 PM
All these ideas would be far easier if we had source code and GameSpy Server control.

I would have something like a map server reservoir (a dedicated webspace), where the dedicated server uploads all the maps it will use before it starts.

Kornman00
January 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks Pat, I'll look into making an OS based solution for it later today.

I agree with Pat, this downloader idea would be implemented far better with the source...it could become quite the hack job with an external solution (but still possible). I'd like to bring up the fact that halo has 21 unused gamespy query fields...I'm not sure off hand how large the return buffer is for a query but this could be used to our advantage with an external server query tool. I haven't researched gs query fields in a while but it appears that you can only get one player at a time, so a query may be able to have parameters. If that's the case, you'd just need two queries: custom map count, and custom map (the index of the custom map is used as a parameter). In the custom map return data, you'd have a map name, possibly scenario name, and then a checksum of the map.

Oh and you could also add a "open sauce" query heh. What happens when a stock server would get these queries is unknown at the moment (like say, been a long time).

Rook
January 26th, 2011, 03:48 PM

So no.

Or they have half a brain. :)

staticchanger
January 26th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Wow, its been awhile, but this caught my attention. It'd be nice to have an update that would allow clients to download the map. as far as where to download from, add a string to the init.txt where the admin can add a URL to a .zip file containing the map file (for obvious bandwidth reasons). Then we could have our own mirror of maps people could use, as well as have the ability to self maps. As far as removing the cdcheck thing goes, don't do it. The cool solution would be MS giving away keys. At least then everyone would swap to 1.09 and we could keep track of people. I'd like to see a 1.10 update with lots of cool features and then basically MS giving the game away free by having people sign up and get a key. Maybe even have a halo pc key come with other games via insert. That'd get some interest.

jcap
January 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Oh dear, another problem :S

So I haven't had any problems at all since I copied over the fixed exe over the past 24 hours....but, here's a really weird thing that just happened (with only one of the 5)...

All of the symptoms are the same as last time, except for one: sv_players results in "sv_players is a server-only function!" That's the only difference. idgi

Patrickssj6
January 27th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Only 1 of the 5 even though they all run the same exe?

jcap
January 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM
They are all running off of their own separate exe. I wanted to give them their own exe's so the services can be more easily managed.

Patrickssj6
January 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I meant they all run the same exe modification? The new 1.09 exe with SAPP patch added?

jcap
January 27th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Oh, yes, they do. I replaced them all with the one you posted yesterday.

Patrickssj6
January 27th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Did you patch them all individually or just copy them?

If you copied them they all should be the same and this error is strange :S Could be an exception though.

jcap
January 27th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I just copied them. Yeah, this is strange. I think it might just be a random exception that didn't actually exception. If you have no clue what could be the cause, then I'll just wait to see if it happens again anytime soon.

Patrickssj6
January 27th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Well the screen freezing up etc can have many causes.

1. I don't have the SAPP source code so I cannot check where something might be conflicting.
2. You are running 5 dedicated servers loading 5 injection DLLs on one machine so chances are that something could break once in a while.
3. Someone is being funny and trying to DOS or found an exploit :P

jcap
January 27th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Well, it just happened again, this time to a different instance of the server.

It's probably sapp again. It just seems so related to the last problem. I would do without sapp, but I really NEED the automatic kicking if a user's ping exceeds 400 ms.

Patrickssj6
January 27th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Hmm I hope no one is exploiting SAPP / our servers or something like that...

phantoms
January 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Why do all of the servers need to be modded? lol

Amit
January 27th, 2011, 02:44 PM
It's the patch that allows them to broadcast the servers on 1.0 and 1.09 in conjunction with the server apps that keep the servers from being invaded by high ping players.

Cortexian
January 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Yea, it's to bad Termy isn't still around to provide some SAPP support for us. I'm sure we could attach a debugger to the haloceded's or something and provide the results to him as they go down.

That said, Skyline is working with us right now to create a remote console application that will allow anyone with the IP, port, and a password connect and use the console. Basically what Gandanur's remote console app does but without Gandanurs stuff. Then eventually he'll integrate a pink kick and other features like server messaging, and all the "fun" commands that we know and love from Rec0 and SAPP like teleporting and stuff.

Cloud
February 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
ok server 1 and 3 had the same error they ran over night the one with out the patch still running but hasnt had any players so idk if that one works. It seems to be the same problem happening though....

Cortexian
February 1st, 2011, 09:33 PM
Pat, is there a debugger or something we could attach to the servers to try and narrow down what the issue is?

Patrickssj6
February 1st, 2011, 09:36 PM
http://www.ollydbg.de/odbg110.zip

Just drag and drop the exe in there and hit run.

Cloud
February 2nd, 2011, 12:23 AM
http://www.ollydbg.de/odbg110.zip

Just drag and drop the exe in there and hit run.

shall i do this to?

Patrickssj6
February 2nd, 2011, 07:19 AM
Let him do it first. I am pretty sure it will not work because of Exception Handling.

homebrued
March 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Where can I aquire the dedi executable?

Dwood
March 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM

halomaps.org

homebrued
March 11th, 2011, 06:17 PM
No luck there Dwood.

sevlag
March 13th, 2011, 05:23 PM
you mean the default HCE dedi .exe file?

should be in your halo custom edition folder by default

check there and if its not...then im out of ideas

OpsY
March 30th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Is there any progress towards this anymore? I notice it's been quiet for a while..

Patrickssj6
March 30th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I am back in Germany and I spend more time doing other things...

Since this is more or less a Gamespy problem I gave up on this and leave it up to Kornman to implement this into OS...he knows a lot more about the engine in the first place and seems more dedicated to Halo than I do. This whole thing was just really a test which began from "The fuck asshole" to "Oh this is great...how does this work?" to "It's not working". I hope Korn will have more luck with his Open Soup.

I am just lurking around from time to time now...the only next computer oriented project will be reversing Guild Wars 2 when it comes out along with some other people. I learned a lot about Reversing and Programming, about Computer Science in general that now I am at a point where further 'learning' will consume a lot of time which I am not willing to spend.

Not that this little 5liner ASM code took a lot of time though :P

Kornman00
March 30th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Programming is never the hard part, it's actually engineering designs and logic where the complexity enters. It's like how anyone can "paint", but it's not always art. Spagetti coders are the compsci equivalent to "artists" who throw sploches of paint on a canvas and call it "art". Interestingly enough, both tend to earn income somehow...:ugh:

It'd be interesting to include this in OS, but since it's mainly dedi only, it's not high on my todo list (vs systems which apply to both client and dedi builds of the game). I don't like to just throw features in (at least, not anymore) so it wouldn't just be about taking Pat's code and tossing it into OS. It'd also be about integrating it into the settings as well (so a user can specify the other game build to broadcast for, and at what rate should OS switch game channels, etc).

OpsY
March 31st, 2011, 03:33 PM
I understand Pat. And Korn, I guess the good thing is this could somewhat fuel up a bit more the Halo CE community... now of course if we could do the same with Halo PC and bring people to see Halo CE would be fun but stupid Gearbox had to improve the shaders ^_o

{XG}Gijs007
April 11th, 2011, 07:17 AM
an easy work around for this issue that crashes the server is, to have some other/an modification of this application to check the server status and auto close the server.
basically just check if the ?/16 players status message is still coming in every few seconds, if it doesn't for like 1 minute or 30 sec close the server.
then a reboot application like xapp could reboot the server.

Cloud
April 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM
an easy work around for this issue that crashes the server is, to have some other/an modification of this application to check the server status and auto close the server.
basically just check if the ?/16 players status message is still coming in every few seconds, if it doesn't for like 1 minute or 30 sec close the server.
then a reboot application like xapp could reboot the server.

Im hava plan :D i know someone that can do this.

Edit: He said he can make this probably have it done by 2maro yayay! do you want a copy of the application? lol i think me an you are the only people that care about doing this cool switcherooo

Cortexian
April 11th, 2011, 05:48 PM
The Modacity servers still use it, but we don't seem to be having that specific freeze issue anymore.

That said, Skyline integrated Pats Unify code into his own application which makes it a bit different.

Cloud
April 12th, 2011, 02:25 AM
The Modacity servers still use it, but we don't seem to be having that specific freeze issue anymore.

That said, Skyline integrated Pats Unify code into his own application which makes it a bit different.

Ok so the guy found an easy way to do it he used one of my servers to test. He put it on a 20 second interval.

Patrickssj6
April 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I was unable to reproduce the problem either. Skyline is inside the process so he can directly hook. Not much of a change there but still more control.

{XG}Gijs007
April 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Ok so the guy found an easy way to do it he used one of my servers to test. He put it on a 20 second interval.
is that app public released?
if not is there any chance I can get a copy of that app as well?

supersniper
April 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM
it had something to do with the name character, if you put too much it randomly does that.

also there's an issue with sapp that the event commands for some reason shut off the logging system in the dedi.

Cloud
April 12th, 2011, 02:20 PM
is that app public released?
if not is there any chance I can get a copy of that app as well?

yeah sure! We should be finalizing it in the next few days. Um do you have xfire so i can send it to you for testing??

Edit: Im going to be testing on my servers once its done (30 minutes or so). I run the SmG Servers so yeah if you see them on 1.09 should be working.

Edit #2: Testing as of now the interval might be to fast will see :D so far so good.

Edit #3: Ok so my friend added a timer to it so you can customize the time you want and its working perfectly.

Skyline
April 12th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I was unable to reproduce the problem either. Skyline is inside the process so he can directly hook. Not much of a change there but still more control.

I moved the hook somewhere else, where you had it it was alternating between versions a couple times a second.

Patrickssj6
April 13th, 2011, 06:16 AM
I moved the hook somewhere else, where you had it it was alternating between versions a couple times a second.
I was inside the heartbeat and it alternated along with the heartbeat rate...which was 60 seconds in the beginning and later 20 seconds.

{XG}Gijs007
April 13th, 2011, 08:58 AM
yeah sure! We should be finalizing it in the next few days. Um do you have xfire so i can send it to you for testing??

Edit: Im going to be testing on my servers once its done (30 minutes or so). I run the SmG Servers so yeah if you see them on 1.09 should be working.

Edit #2: Testing as of now the interval might be to fast will see :D so far so good.

Edit #3: Ok so my friend added a timer to it so you can customize the time you want and its working perfectly.
thanks, my xfire is gijs007
you don't mind if I use this app on the servers im hosting for the SU clan do you?

Cloud
April 13th, 2011, 09:25 AM
k gotta run a test we added halo pc 1.04 to switch to 1.09 PC so im going to test that was well. Also added it in with the servertool. then i need to sleeeep

Skyline
April 13th, 2011, 10:52 AM

If I recall correctly you added a hook at the function where it copies the version string. That function is called more often than the heartbeat. Change the heartbeat to 10 minutes or something and you'll see it won't be called every 10 minutes.

Patrickssj6
April 13th, 2011, 04:29 PM
If I recall correctly you added a hook at the function where it copies the version string. That function is called more often than the heartbeat. Change the heartbeat to 10 minutes or something and you'll see it won't be called every 10 minutes.
Maybe but it wasn't every second like you said. Besides your theory doesn't make much sense. Why would the version number be copied more times than the actual heartbeat itself....I can't remeber exactly when I reversed but that is the only time the version string gets copied.

{XG}Gijs007
April 15th, 2011, 01:37 AM
k gotta run a test we added halo pc 1.04 to switch to 1.09 PC so im going to test that was well. Also added it in with the servertool. then i need to sleeeep
did you add me to xfire yet?
btw: is this app compatible with gandanur?

Patrickssj6
April 15th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I just thought of a possible source of error :D I could have hooked a level higher.

{XG}Gijs007
April 15th, 2011, 11:24 AM
cool, so there might be a new update? :D

{XG}Gijs007
April 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM
bump:raise:

{XG}Gijs007
May 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
any more news?

btw I also noticed that a default halo server(original exe) with gandanur also crashes sometimes.

update: seems to be caused by either gandanur or the ascii characters.

update: it seems to be updated, ill try it out now. thanks:D

homebrued
September 25th, 2011, 06:46 PM
This mod worked for me but i couldn't add the non ascii keys to the server name anymore. Any suggestions?

POQbum
September 25th, 2011, 07:13 PM
This mod worked for me but i couldn't add the non ascii keys to the server name anymore. Any suggestions? just take this .exe and use branini's patcher to get the ASCII characters to work.

homebrued
September 25th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I tried that but it didnt work. I will try again.

POQbum
September 25th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Addict if you need any help let me know. I could give you the .exe I'm using for the =DG='s servers which has that and the sapp already patched.

homebrued
September 25th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I patched it and now its accepting the Acsii keys but now no sapp. Put it up somewere for me to download or give it to one of your leaders to give to me. Thank you.

Sean Aero
September 26th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I patched it and now its accepting the Acsii keys but now no sapp. Put it up somewere for me to download or give it to one of your leaders to give to me. Thank you.
It's never wise to use an App that is developed for a non-patched dedi on a patched dedi. Chance of errors is large, instead ask the server App developer to support Acsii characters.

supersniper
September 27th, 2011, 01:09 AM
... SAPP is already unstable with the random kick all from game glitch we don't need anymore instability...

{XG}Gijs007
September 27th, 2011, 09:51 AM
... SAPP is already unstable with the random kick all from game glitch we don't need anymore instability...
That issue is fixed in the latest version.