PDA

View Full Version : HCE Large Scaled Device - Vehicles

Higuy
January 25th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hey guys, im working on a large scaled device that acts like a gondola in Halo 2.

While I've gotten some features to work on it, one thing thats really bugging me is that any vehicle I put on it just seems to slide off when it goes forward. Up and down works fine though... I'm not sure how I would get them to stay on it while its moving, (I'd like to put maybe a turret on it) since you can't attach a weapon (ex - warthog turret). It also seems that you can't put weapons on it either.

More and more it seems like the only decent way of doing this is making the gondola itself bsp and the surrounding stuff scenery or sky, unless someone has a better clue on how to do this...

Thanks
higuy

Cortexian
January 25th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Could you make your gondola a vehicle and use the scripts you have to move it around? That would let you stick a turret on it. Just make a custom vehicle/gondola with a turret on it.

Higuy
January 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
The problems with a vehicle is that it has time constraints when a device dosen't (you can set the exact time it takes to get from point a to b) and that I think you will die if you ride on a vehicle if its going fast enough, or just fall off (dosen't catch you like a device does)...

I ran a few tests and figured out that weapons will stay on there if its from a dead biped. I don't want to discard the idea, but if it was to work good it would be very cool.

sevlag
January 25th, 2011, 05:07 PM
The problems with a vehicle is that it has time constraints when a device dosen't (you can set the exact time it takes to get from point a to b) and that I think you will die if you ride on a vehicle if its going fast enough, or just fall off (dosen't catch you like a device does)...

I ran a few tests and figured out that weapons will stay on there if its from a dead biped. I don't want to discard the idea, but if it was to work good it would be very cool.
using the lifts in AoTCR and TB, just simple up and down causes clipping issues (and in some cases clipping THROUGH said object) it might be impossible to get a vehicle to work on what amounts to a moving platform...a gondola with a vehicle on it in H2 is more than likely from all those tricking videos i remember seeing regarding QZ (wraith on gondola anyone?)

Cortexian
January 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Couldn't you just build a railing around the edge of the gondola so vehicles don't slide off?

=sw=warlord
January 25th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Would it be possible to set nodes or volumes that when the vehicle is not entered, the vehicle is attached to the node which then pulls the child entity?

DarkHalo003
January 25th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Could momentarily making the vehicle unaffected by gravity or HCE's physics through scripting fix this?

Higuy
January 25th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I got it to work, thanks to Darklord0912.

What he told to do was to create a marker on the gondola, then use the script command "Objects_attach" to attach it. Works fine after that, moves along with the gondola!

Amit
January 26th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Wow. So simple.

CodeBrain
January 26th, 2011, 01:15 PM
This seems like a not very good way of making the gondola work...

How many vehicles/weapons/AI would be on the gondola?

Lets say we have an enthusiast, who wanted to get every vehicle he could possible on that gondola. Since you have made so far only one node/marker, only one of those vehicles (one of the LISTED vehicles in the script) would be attached, and the rest would fall off. Sure, that means make more nodes/markers to prevent that from happening. But then the player would see them then get all perfectly lined up, technically thats something you wouldn't want to happen, everything must be seamless or else it makes some people confused and say "Is this a glitch/bug?". Also, wouldn't AI move as well? You would have to object_attach them as well if they do move, and AI are meant to be moving around instead of staying put in one spot...

Amit
January 26th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Unless there is a player battle on the Gondola, there is no real point to the AI moving around.

EDIT: Always read your post to yourself before you post it. Otherwise you end up with the above happening.

Higuy
January 26th, 2011, 05:20 PM
This seems like a not very good way of making the gondola work...

How many vehicles/weapons/AI would be on the gondola?

Lets say we have an enthusiast, who wanted to get every vehicle he could possible on that gondola. Since you have made so far only one node/marker, only one of those vehicles (one of the LISTED vehicles in the script) would be attached, and the rest would fall off. Sure, that means make more nodes/markers to prevent that from happening. But then the player would see them then get all perfectly lined up, technically thats something you wouldn't want to happen, everything must be seamless or else it makes some people confused and say "Is this a glitch/bug?". Also, wouldn't AI move as well? You would have to object_attach them as well if they do move, and AI are meant to be moving around instead of staying put in one spot...

Did you honestly think of every possible way that an encounter would play out on here? It's obvious that AI does not pathfind on any kind of objects unless its bsp, but let me give you a hint - AI can pathfind in the sky. I wouldn't of tried to make an encounter that wasn't even going to work from the start. As for getting other vehicles onto the gondola, you can do 1 or 2 things -

1. Make the entrance to the gondola not allow vehicles to pass through...

or 2, delete them in a cut scene when the gondola starts, this would save memory anyway since the the previous bsp in the map will not be loaded anyway.

lol...

FRain
February 8th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Couldn't you just build a railing around the edge of the gondola so vehicles don't slide off?

In theory thats a great idea, but I could already imagine you sliding and hitting it at a velocity and dying

Dwood
February 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Make the edges molten hot or really sharp so people don't touch it while they're moving. :)

Donut
February 8th, 2011, 03:07 PM
you can ride those exhaust cover things in "the maw" on the default campaign. have you looked into those tags to see how they do the horizontal riding?

or does that not apply to the vehicle?

Higuy
February 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
you can ride those exhaust cover things in "the maw" on the default campaign. have you looked into those tags to see how they do the horizontal riding?

or does that not apply to the vehicle?

Its the same as an elevator; I got it to work already ehh