PDA

View Full Version : HCE Waterfalls

Dwood
February 2nd, 2011, 03:56 AM
Hey I've been doing a tiny bit of mapping lately, and thought it woud be cool to add a waterfall. The problem is, however, that no matter what I do with this particular texture, it keeps going from side-to-side whenever I need it to go from top-to-bottom.

I know we can do them but right now I'm not seeing it.

It's the Timberland waterfall texture TheGhost mentions in his old (read: 2005) tutorial here: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3007

ghk
February 2nd, 2011, 11:02 AM
im guessing here(total shot in the dark) that maybe its the way you have your polys set up...its supposed to be longer at the top and get shorter as it goes down....maybe you have them wider then longer

Donut
February 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
you mean like... the scrolling texture for the waterfall is scrolling 90 degrees sideways to what its supposed to be doing? if thats the case, select the waterfall polies, and go to uvw unwrap in the modifier list. from there just rotate the uvws 90 degrees in the needed direction.

it might also help to take the base water texture and place it on your waterfall geometry to get a better idea of how to rotate it.

NitrousOxide
February 3rd, 2011, 04:12 AM
You need to properly UVW unwrap the water polys. If you just let it UV itself, it will probably be wrong. and go sideways like you said. What UVW method are you using?

ThePlague
February 3rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
I think I remember someone saying not to use that texture way back when I was trying to do the same thing. Maybe try using the one from a30. It could be that, your UVWs could be messed up, or you need to mess with the tags.

Dwood
February 3rd, 2011, 10:57 PM
You need to properly UVW unwrap the water polys. If you just let it UV itself, it will probably be wrong. and go sideways like you said. What UVW method are you using?

Plane unwrap.

Dwood
February 4th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Thanks to Yakszmelk's help I got it working. needed to rotate the modifier around. Now let's see what I can do with this knowledge!