PDA

View Full Version : BSP rejecting dynamic lighting

Tucker933
February 5th, 2011, 10:57 PM
We've had this issue for a while now and haven't seemed to be able to find a fix. We're currently working with the stock BSP c40. For some reason, without any tag work prior, select dynamic lighting will fail to light the BSP in all scenarios. However this seemingly bad dynamic light still illuminates units as well as scenery items perfectly fine. Roughly half of stock the dynamic lights work. A dynamic light that always manages to stop working for example, among many others; the stock frag grenade flyby light.
This issue seems to occur on any BSP we try. Someone suggested at one point it could be a HEK+ extraction corruption issue, which seemed to fit the issue perfectly, but upon trying another extractor the issue still exists.
I have yet to find someone that doesn't get this issue, however all maps I've seen released don't have the issue, which tells me the problem is occurring in development.
I would go into more details about the issue and the many, many things we've tried over the last 6 months trying to fix it, but this will just turn into a book.

I will offer any sexual favors to anyone who can find me a solution to this.

Hr3shy
February 5th, 2011, 11:57 PM
i hate dynamic lights for this reason, ima keep an eye or two on this thread.

Dwood
February 6th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Maek ur own? lol idk.

=sw=warlord
February 6th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Have you thought about opening a light that works and one that doesn't and then comparing them to see what the difference is?

Tucker933
February 6th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Have you thought about opening a light that works and one that doesn't and then comparing them to see what the difference is?

The issue isn't the light tags, it took us months to finally figure out that it's actually a BSP issue. We've tried every stock BSP. Our team has no modelers so we can't make a new one from scratch, to test if it's just an extraction issue or not. The lights work on everything except the BSP, it's not a light tag issue.
For instance, you can take a Halo full map, and just import the same BSP from CE into this map, and the lights will suddenly stop working correctly. It doesn't matter the lightmaps either, tried every variation. The error exists in the BSP somewhere...
Another thing really weird; you can take one of the fully functioning dynamic lights and throw it in place of one that wasn't working, and it suddenly breaks, as if the parent tag is somehow causing the issue. Everything is really odd, but we've been able to recreate the issue each time with multiple CE devs, all starting their own maps from scratch in completely controlled tests. So it isn't an individual process error, or a specific hardware problem, something is wrong with how these BSP's are being implemented.

Dwood
February 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Did you re-run radiosity each time you changed the lights? It sounds stupid but it's possible.

Tucker933
February 6th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Did you re-run radiosity each time you changed the lights? It sounds stupid but it's possible.

A few times. No change.

Higuy
February 6th, 2011, 04:54 PM
pretty sure you have to re run structure, actually.

Tucker933
February 7th, 2011, 05:55 PM
pretty sure you have to re run structure, actually.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.