PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous Hacks HBGarry Security Firm

Warsaw
February 8th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Please read as the lulz ensue:

A U.S. security firm that claimed to have uncovered the real identity of Anonymous members responsible for a recent spate of web site attacks became a victim of Anonymous itself, when members of the online vigilante group breached the company’s network and stole more than 60,000 internal e-mails.

The group posted the e-mail spool Sunday on the Pirate Bay torrent site for anyone to download and sift through.

HBGary Federal, which does classified work for the U.S. federal government among other security work, claimed it had been working with the FBI to unmask hackers behind recent denial-of-service attacks against PayPal, Visa, MasterCard and Amazon. Members of Anonymous — a loosely structured group of internet troublemakers — had organized the mass attacks after the companies suspended accounts used by WikiLeaks to receive donations and host documents. More recently, members of the group directed denial-of-service attacks against government web sites in Tunisia and Egypt.

Last month, the FBI announced it had executed more than 40 search warrants against people suspected of participating in the WikiLeaks-related attacks. British police also arrested five men in relation to the attacks.

The hack against HBGary Federal occurred after the Financial Times published a story on Saturday quoting Aaron Barr, CEO of the company. Barr said his company’s researchers had uncovered clues to the real identities of top members of Anonymous by monitoring chat rooms and Facebook groups they frequented. Barr identified a co-founder of the group, who goes by the name Q, and said he planned to give some of the information to the FBI. He also planned to present his findings at the RSA Security Conference in San Francisco next week.

On Sunday, Anonymous ridiculed the company’s research skills and the accuracy of its data in a press release posted at Daily Kos, mocking the company’s “infiltration of our entirely secret IRC server anonops.ru and in particular our ultra-classified channels #opegypt, #optunisia, and, of course, #reporters, which itself is the most secret of all.”

Read more here. (http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/02/anonymous-hacks-hbgary/)

Also, here (http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2294/internetsanon.jpg) is the letter Anonymous sent to HBGary.
:neckbeard:

EX12693
February 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Just.... win.

ThePlague
February 8th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I'm in love.

TVTyrant
February 8th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Lol 4chan users are more powerful than McAfee security haha. This is just pathetic on the side of that company. The truth is that I don't think the government really gives a shit about this.

Patrickssj6
February 8th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Well they can't do anything if they have some zero day exploits handy.

Bodzilla
February 8th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Dear HB Garry.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sincerely
~Zilla

TeeKup
February 8th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Simple beautiful.

n00b1n8R
February 9th, 2011, 12:26 AM
~Internet superheros~

Lol 4chan users are more powerful than McAfee security haha.
Anon has had basically nothing to do with 4chan since before project chanology.

TVTyrant
February 9th, 2011, 12:39 AM
I just assumed based on the name *shrugs*

E: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/01/fbi-anonymous/
Wow. Stupid US government is stupid. This is not worth the time of the FBI.

Warsaw
February 9th, 2011, 01:01 AM
They are on a wild goose hunt. Anonymous isn't even an organisation, really. It's an idea. It's likely that someone one day hacked something and left a note with that identity. Others thought it was catchy and it caught on. So now you have a bunch of unaffiliated hackers who've propagated a myth of an organisation. I think it's quite entertaining to watch these corporate and government bigwigs think they are solving anything at all. In reality, they are fueling the fire and giving themselves bad PR in the process. Great job guys, keep it up!

Now that I think about it, Anonymous is essentially a real life analogue to the Laughing Man case of Ghost in the Shell.

TVTyrant
February 9th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Or they are really muslim extremists sent to destroy america :tinfoil:

TeeKup
February 9th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Now that I think about it, Anonymous is essentially a real life analogue to the Laughing Man case of Ghost in the Shell.

This is what's so amazing about it. Society never fails to disappoint, regardless of all the failures we see from the average ignoramus.

Human will is so beautiful and terrifying.