PDA

View Full Version : U.S. House of Representatives Votes to Block Extension of Patriot Act

TVTyrant
February 8th, 2011, 11:58 PM
http://www.thenation.com/blog/158394/house-democrats-and-libertarian-republicans-block-obamas-move-extend-patriot-acts-most-a

Not sure why that particular site chose that angle on it, but it is true! This is a big time change in current American internal affairs, and is a huge move back to 'normalcy' in my opinion.
Still, I'm not quite sure why some sources are taking the angle that Obama wanted to bring this back (maybe he did, this one's not my specialty). I always thought that he was against the PATRIOT Act though. Weird.

Warsaw
February 9th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Ugh, about time.

Dwood
February 9th, 2011, 03:40 AM
In other news, Health Care reform law (expanding Medicaid, and Medicare to more people is all it does, based from my readings) Has been rejected, as Unconstitutional. Main reason: The Federal government cannot fine anyone who does not wish to participate in the program.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47905937/Health-Care-Ruling-by-Judge-Vinson

sleepy1212
February 9th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Twenty-six Republicans joined one hundred and twenty-two Democrats to block passage

wtf republicans? Considering the Patriot Act gives Napolitano the tools to spy on christians, people who own guns, and those who believe in the constitution you'd think the Republicans would be against this now.

Health Care Unconstitutional.

individual mandate = unconstitutional

Dwood
February 9th, 2011, 12:09 PM
individual mandate = unconstitutional

The entire bill was built upon that whole mandate. If that mandate's not there, the whole thing comes crashing down. Thus, the whole bill came crashing down.

Warsaw
February 9th, 2011, 05:13 PM
wtf republicans? Considering the Patriot Act gives Napolitano the tools to spy on christians, people who own guns, and those who believe in the constitution you'd think the Republicans would be against this now.

Way to completely generalize. Perhaps many of them see it as necessary for national security? Granted I am glad it is now on death row, but it had a few merits.

CN3089
February 9th, 2011, 05:51 PM
The entire bill was built upon that whole mandate. If that mandate's not there, the whole thing comes crashing down. Thus, the whole bill came crashing down.

Awesome, now you can set up a single payer system like civilized countries. :woop:

sleepy1212
February 10th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Way to completely generalize. Perhaps many of them see it as necessary for national security? Granted I am glad it is now on death row, but it had a few merits.

I don't trust the government to keep me safe from terrorists without violating my rights. Considering many of the statements made from NSA this past year -many basically calling conservatives and the tea party terrorists- I expected them to vote more heavily against it. Fuck, the body scanners alone should make anyone think, "maybe we've gone too far."

Warsaw
February 11th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Like I said, I'm glad it is gone, but that doesn't mean it had no merit. I'm in the same boat as you, but I see why they passed it. I'm not going to wear a tin-foil hat over every tiny thing the government does because that kind of life is not worth living.