PDA

View Full Version : h2v scnr extractor

Hiralis
February 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM
is there a h2v scnr extractor anywhere that acts like HEK +?

Cortexian
February 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
First off I'd like to quote NitrousOxide once more... Maybe if we tell you that extracting is generally not looked on well by the community enough times you'll finally get it.

Don't become discouraged by what we're saying, take it constructively. You're doing something that not only gets very little respect, but it's also been done 10,000 times already. Just go for it, model EVERY SINGLE THING yourself, every texture, every sound effect, every last asset to your mod, make it yourself. Take it from me, it's a very satisfying feeling. So what if it doesn't come out perfect, it's not better than Bungie, it's not AAA quality, who cares? It will be your best effort, and trust me, the passion will show in your work. Also, just think, why should I play your half-assed, buggy, incomplete Halo Reach rip mod when I could simply spin my chair around, turn on my Xbox and play a perfect Halo Reach with 300,000 other players? The whole reason behind our Halo 2 CE mod back in the day was to play Halo 2 before the retail version shipped, so we created every last asset ourselves. After Halo 2 shipped, guess what, the Halo 2 CE mod more or less was put to rest and I/we just started making piles of original maps.

Extracting someone else's assets and putting them in your mod is like being an 'original' band that plays all covers at their concerts. It's cheating, it's stealing, it's disrespectful to the artist and simply proves that your team has no talent. A while back, Dave Mertz and I were chatting about Halo CE and how so many people expected the editing kit to come with a "Generate Awesome Map" button. Well, now we have that button. It's called scenario->extract /recursive.

Again, try not to take offense, this is purely constructive. Just put your best foot forward, have some self-confidence, put some effort and elbow grease into it and you will surprise yourself as to how much fun you have. Also, the community will have a lot mre respect for you and might actually play your stuff. :)

Secondly, no such program exists to my knowledge.

=sw=warlord
February 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Freelancer, Halo 2 vista is so locked down in terms of it's editing kit that even if one were to want to create a fully custom level with custom weapons and bipeds with actual working animations it would be nigh impossible.
Way to not realize.

Cortexian
February 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM
That's irrelevant, he's looking to extract files from a H2V map (which he obviously didn't make since he's extracting them). I know the editing kit is locked down, but did you consider the fact that he may be trying to extract these files to use in CE? Even if he were to use them in a H2V map, the point I made is still valid.

Not seeing what your point was there.

ShadowSpartan
February 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM
That's irrelevant, he's looking to extract files from a H2V map (which he obviously didn't make since he's extracting them).
He could be wanting to extract tags from a stock map, since not all of the tags were released with the game. I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

Secondly, no such program exists to my knowledge.
There are at least two extractors right now, one of which is my incomplete one that I never got around to finishing. The other one is Blamlib, which has been released to the public, but it does not have a GUI for tag extraction so you will have to know how to code a little bit in order to extract tags.

Cortexian
February 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
So both are useless to Hiralis then anyways.

ShadowSpartan
February 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM
So both are useless to Hiralis then anyways.
While that is true, it doesn't mean someone can't write a program that uses Blamlib to extract the tags. I don't see that happening anytime soon though since Blamlib has been released for a while now and no one has used it for anything in depth as far as I am aware, which is just sad. There is a lot of useful stuff in it.

Resinball
February 10th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I was not aware that Blamlib could be used with H2V, I thought it was strictly for CE.

ShadowSpartan
February 10th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I was not aware that Blamlib could be used with H2V, I thought it was strictly for CE.
I'm not sure how complete the H2V code is though, so not everything may work correctly. I haven't tested the code myself, been too busy with other stuff.