PDA

View Full Version : Japan is getting hit hard by earthquakes

annihilation
March 11th, 2011, 01:20 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110309/wl_nm/us_japan_quake

Pretty crazy shit going on.

E:Live streaming http://www.youtube.com/aljazeeraenglish#p/u

E2: Apparently there's a risk of a tsunami in Hawaii, Russia, and California, The Philippines, Peru, Chile, and Australia.
(I'm sure there's going to be more.
Recent quakes: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

PopeAK49
March 11th, 2011, 01:50 AM
What about Alaska's risk from getting hit by a tsunami? This is sad and terrible, I pray for the lives of everyone going through this nightmare right now.

Cortexian
March 11th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Really sucks, wish I could do something to help out those affected by this and the coming repercussions. Hopefully this doesn't set off any of the volcanoes around Japan as well, volcanoes on heavily populated islands are a real shitty combination.

Edit: 8 people confirmed dead.

I hope the Canadian Forces get in there and help out with emergency aid (we help out with shit like this all the time).

Dwood
March 11th, 2011, 02:38 AM
We just got the evacuation warning... Means put my contacts on, swimsuit, and head to the beach with a bucket to pick up the fish.

Cortexian
March 11th, 2011, 02:44 AM
You're in Hawaii I assume?

annihilation
March 11th, 2011, 02:45 AM
There's an advisory in Oregon now.

I can't imagine what all these people must be going through. When I was watching the stream I saw people driving away from the waters that were less than 50 yards away.

Dwood
March 11th, 2011, 02:46 AM
You're in Hawaii I assume?

Yeah, I thought everyone knew lol.

Edit; strike what I said. I think i'll just sit here and decide whether or not I should sit on the computer or sleep heh.

Cortexian
March 11th, 2011, 02:58 AM
There's an advisory in Oregon now.

I can't imagine what all these people must be going through. When I was watching the stream I saw people driving away from the waters that were less than 50 yards away.
Was watching the Al Jazeera LIVE and some guy driving along a road got cutoff. RIP that guy.

Dwood
March 11th, 2011, 03:14 AM
There goes the tsunami alarms. Al Jazeera Live ftw. Most professional news site I've ever been to.

j3fUqdGXLbM

PopeAK49
March 11th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Yep, Seward Alaska got a warning saying it could hit at 4:30am but not yet confirmed /warning.

PopeAK49
March 11th, 2011, 03:53 AM
^ Alaska Time in case you're wondering.

n00b1n8R
March 11th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Are the hentai videogames OK though???

thehoodedsmack
March 11th, 2011, 07:21 AM
So far 32 confirmed deaths in Japan. I'd be more worried about the effects on other countries, though. Japan's gotten pretty badass at surviving quakes.

Dwood
March 11th, 2011, 07:28 AM
mdfasdfkasafasd It's 3 20 am why am I up, it's just going to be a dud. If the waves hit me in my room I'll give my clothes to my chinese neighbor.

Cortexian
March 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I've been hearing figures of 200-300 bodies on beaches in the hardest hit areas alone.

sevlag
March 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Kyorge used surf...its super effective

i know thats mean but it was bound to be said sooner or later

but seriously, oregon is getting the warning too? god damn

last note:
rob get to hgih ground dude if its going to be hitting where you live

TVTyrant
March 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Seriously worried about the people we know on the coast and our property. Could be very bad very fast, especially since the interior of most of those towns is barely protected at all.

Cortexian
March 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Just heard on Al Jazeera that one of the Nuclear power plants just lost its cooling system, could be extremely bad if they don't get it fixed...

The US is sending in two amphibious assault ships -- the USS Essex and the USS Boxer -- along with various support vessels. Both ships are equipped with helicopters and airplanes. The Boxer Amphibious Ready Group is currently at sea en route to a scheduled replenishment in Guam, while the Essex, carrying the embarked 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, arrived in Malaysia on Friday and was making preparations for an immediate departure toward Japan. Al Jazeera reports that the larger of these assault ships contains a HUGE operating room and medical facilities.

Another ship, the USS Blue Ridge, a command and control ship, arrived in Singapore and was preparing to depart Saturday.

Separately, the USS Ronald Reagan carrier strike group, currently at sea heading towards South Korea, is preparing for a possible Japan mission. The Reagan is equipped with some 80 planes and helicopters.

Another ship, the USS Tortuga, is currently in Sasebo, Japan, is loading up boats used transport equipment and troops to the shore and could depart later in the day.

TVTyrant
March 11th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Awesome how we do this for the Asians and it took like a week to react to Katrina. Aren't we awesome.

Cortexian
March 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Obama = / = Bush.

Though that's hardly the entire reason there was such a difference in response times.

TVTyrant
March 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Oh I know. I'm just saying that it happening at all was pathetic. Im not saying we should slow down our response time to appease the Americans or something stupid like that, I'm just saying it was pathetic that we let our own people die and now we are in "America=World 911" mode.

§partan 8
March 11th, 2011, 01:07 PM
All my OEM parts now underwater :( sad day

Phopojijo
March 11th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Oh I know. I'm just saying that it happening at all was pathetic. Im not saying we should slow down our response time to appease the Americans or something stupid like that, I'm just saying it was pathetic that we let our own people die and now we are in "America=World 911" mode.You were in a World 911 mode then too... just the police third of it.

TVTyrant
March 11th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I am aware. I'm just saying I don't like it.

Amit
March 11th, 2011, 03:11 PM
That's a long earthquake.

Rainbow Dash
March 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
http://wonkette.com/440471/breaking-ohio-safe-from-tsunamis

Bodzilla
March 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM
lrWyhFRuL8Y
well said phil.

TVTyrant
March 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Facebooked a friend from Japan (international student who got me super drunk one time) and he has yet to respond. I'm really scared now.

Cortexian
March 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Honestly, he's probably busy you know, surviving and helping others and shit. Japan is REAL small compared to North America, most of the people in the country will probably at least try to get involved in recovery efforts if they're able. There's damage around the entire circumference of the island, so there's basically damage in every direction you go.

It's not like here, where something like Katrina hits and it only takes out a small portion of the coast.

If I had the money and time I'd fly myself over there and help out as much as I could. If I had been able to join the Canadian Forces Reserves last year I'd be signing up for any relief effort that we send out.

TVTyrant
March 12th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Turns out hes alright. He messaged me back, and said he was on the other side of the islands. No tsunami, but apparently his Playstation got crushed by a falling light fixture. Another friend from Taiwan is being pushed back into military service (he was an officer for 8 years) in order to go help other countries with disaster relief.

Siliconmaster
March 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Japan shifted 8 feet, Earth axis shifted by 4 inches (http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/index.html)

Pretty crazy stuff. I finally got a message from my friend in Japan- she's fine, having been in Tokyo, where there wasn't much damage.

=sw=warlord
March 14th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Japan has just experienced a second Nuclear reactor explosion at it's Fukushima reactor plant. (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video-Japan-Quake-Tsunami-Second-Explosion-At-Nuclear-Plant-In-Fukushima-As-US-Moves-Ships-Away/Article/201103215951706?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15951706_Video%2C_Japan_Quake%2C_Tsuna mi%3A_Second_Explosion_At_Nuclear_Plant_In_Fukushi ma_As_US_Moves_Ships_Away_)
A second hydrogen explosion has occurred at a quake-hit nuclear plant in Japan, as the US moved ships and aircraft away due to low level radiation.
Plumes of grey smoke billowed into the air after the blast at the Fukushima Daiichi plant's number 3 unit.
:phonegonk:

Bodzilla
March 14th, 2011, 06:28 AM
fucking hell, poor guys

Patrickssj6
March 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM
at least this is a wake up call to get rid of nuclear power...the conservative party is already split here by this event regarding energy sources

=sw=warlord
March 14th, 2011, 08:41 AM
at least this is a wake up call to get rid of nuclear power...the conservative party is already split here by this event regarding energy sources

Are you a idiot or something?
Have you ever seen a fossil fuel explosion?
for the most part, nuclear fueled generation is alot cleaner than say oil or coal fired power plants and are also alot more efficient, they're also updated in terms of safety and technology alot more often as well.
I'm sorry but had these plants been oil fueled no one would be causing a ruckus even if it had caused such a large explosion.
I'l give you a example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXCQYAc4VQc
Yes radiation in the atmosphere is a bad thing, but think about it.
Nuclear energy has only been used for the past 60 years where as coal and oil has been used for alot longer, given the time and testing nuclear energy has the potential to provide alot of energy which doesn't rely on oil wells in off shore locations and the fuel can last alot longer than the same quantity of coal or oil.
This is a bad situation but no where near as bad as that stupid mistake known as Chernobyl and considering this has been caused by a 9.0 Richter scale earth quake, it's obvious some damage will be done.

SiriusTexra
March 14th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I'm just going to leave these here.

http://www.xnewsarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gkn20110307_Bx.gif
http://www.xnewsarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gkn20110308_Bx.gif
http://www.xnewsarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gkn20110309_Bx.gif
http://www.xnewsarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gkn20110310_Bx.gif
http://www.xnewsarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gkn20110311_Bx.gif
http://www.xnewsarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gkn20110312_Bx.gif
http://www.xnewsarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/latest-Bx-12-13.gif

http://137.229.36.30/cgi-bin/scmag/disp-scmag.cgi?date=20110311&Bx=on

Would be interesting to find out if the Japanese noticed any weird plasmas/light tracers in the sky in the last few days.

Patrickssj6
March 14th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Are you an idiot or something?
Have you ever seen a fossil fuel explosion?
-snipped-
Uh...officially you are the idiot now.

FYI
We switched FROM fossil fuel TO nuclear power...I know it's better for the environment captain obvious, I probably know more about this than you. I don't even remotely know where you get the idea from that I am proposing to switch to fossil fuel. So here is the future for you in case you have missed it: Green energy.

If you start now "Green energy does not provide enough energy for a whole country" then you probably stop right here.

TVTyrant
March 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Nuclear energy is viable only in areas least at risk from natural disaster. Japan was an awful place to build one in the first place. They get small quakes all the time. Just a bad idea.

Nobody advocates fossil fuels anymore. They are extremely dangerous and harmful to the environment. On the other hand though, Pats I have yet to see Green Energy programs that could power whole countries. Where I live is about as green as it gets, since our dam of the Columbia River powers the whole western part of the state. Other than hydro-electric I have yet to see a viable source of energy for a big area. Not criticizing I just would actualy like to see that

Patrickssj6
March 14th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Nuclear energy is viable only in areas least at risk from natural disaster. Japan was an awful place to build one in the first place. They get small quakes all the time. Just a bad idea.

Nobody advocates fossil fuels anymore. They are extremely dangerous and harmful to the environment. On the other hand though, Pats I have yet to see Green Energy programs that could power whole countries. Where I live is about as green as it gets, since our dam of the Columbia River powers the whole western part of the state. Other than hydro-electric I have yet to see a viable source of energy for a big area. Not criticizing I just would actualy like to see that

I agree 100% with you. The problem I am speaking about though is that by 2018 they wanted to shut down all nuclear plants here. A year ago they changed the law and extended it until 2024...pure lobbyism. The first problem is to get the change to clean energy initiated, getting enough clean energy is the next problem. (Wind is also a very good solution, Off-Shore power plants as well).

This is not the topic though so...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2011/mar/14/japan-tsunami-amateur-footage-video

Oh and if you like science....this is one of the best channels on youtube (along with their partner channels)
-bcrLiATLq0

=sw=warlord
March 14th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Uh...officially you are the idiot now.
No that would still be Dwood.
FYI
We switched FROM fossil fuel TO nuclear power...I know it's better for the environment captain obvious, I probably know more about this than you. I don't even remotely know where you get the idea from that I am proposing to switch to fossil fuel. So here is the future for you in case you have missed it: Green energy.

If you start now "Green energy does not provide enough energy for a whole country" then you probably stop right here.
Fission is not the only form of nuclear energy, you do realize there are groups right now working on making sustainable fusion reactors right?
Fusion reactors are the "holy grail" of renewable sources of energy, it is what powers every single star in the universe and is the reason there are any elements other than hydrogen at all.
Wind power is a great idea for places which have alot of wind, not much use in places where there is barely much and the same can be said for hydroelectric plants.
Consider this, there have been more accidents involving other forms of renewable forms of energy than there have been with fission reactors, there is also alot of work being done into making said fission reactors safer, alot more works is done to make them efficient and sustainable.
The system they're using for alot of nuclear plants almost ended up being used to propel US military planes, there was even the hoax about Russians having a working atomic plane.
If there was no future for atomic energy then there wouldn't be so much research being done to enhance it.
Trust me, I know exactly where to get my facts from, several of my friends have degrees in this field and I myself have studied nuclear physics a fair bit.

Patrickssj6
March 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks again captain obvious that we all know thanks to Einstein that there is a massive amount of energy in everything. If I would convert your body into energy, you could power the state of bavaria for 1 year but guess what, no nuclear plant is using your futuristic technology right now. The only thing they are doing right now is producing waste which we will have to deal with centuries to come.

I hope you are not derailing this again since there is absolutly no correlation between your posts. In your first you talk about me proposing fossil fuel as an energy source, in your next post you talk about alternative ways to extract energy from atoms which don't even exist right now, even though I only said there should be less nuclear power plants in the future (the ones that are build right now, obviously) and that this event may trigger this change.

staticchanger
March 14th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but nuclear energy is clean, renewable, and though unseemingly so in its infant state, safe. It's important to weigh out the risks between our current energy sources and nuclear, which has the potential to become the ultimate green energy source. We just need more time to work out the kinks.

=sw=warlord
March 14th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but nuclear energy is clean, renewable, and though unseemingly so in its infant state, safe. It's important to weigh out the risks between our current energy sources and nuclear, which has the potential to become the ultimate green energy source. We just need more time to work out the kinks.

Give this man a Dollar, he can see the big picture.
Pat you said to remove all nuclear plants, I replied to you explaining why such a idea is extremely foolish.
Simple as that.

Spartan094
March 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Fyi only man is ignorant enough to build Nuclear sites near a moving fault line. I can throw other examples of how ignorant we are but this one tops it all. They knew full well they were building it near a fault line.

Abdurahman
March 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Well they didn't have many choices other than nuclear energy, I mean they have almost no natural resources, are they gonna import all their coal if they use coal powerplants, they have no powerful rivers for hydroelectric, and Japan is too small to build solar farms, so nuclear was the only way to go, and they knew the risks, but they had no choice.

sleepy1212
March 15th, 2011, 08:15 AM
japan tsk tsk

Patrickssj6
March 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I hope one day they will build a nuclear waste disposal right under your city.

Give this man a Dollar, he can see the big picture.
Pat you said to remove all nuclear plants, I replied to you explaining why such a idea is extremely foolish.
Simple as that.

No you never said why it is a foolish idea.

Anyway, just yesterday the party announced they are going to take back the extension of the runtimes of nuclear power plants. Go us.
Starting today they are going to shutdown 7 Nuclear Power Plants (that's 7 out of 17!!) as well.

staticchanger
March 15th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I hope one day they will build a nuclear waste disposal right under your city.

Wow harsh, no one wants that. The waste problem is one of the kinks I was referring to, burying it deep underground doesn't seem to pose that much of a problem, but as we engineer better ways to get rid of the waste i.e. use it for even more energy, we can implement that instead of burying it under my house. These issues of course being shadowed by the much larger environmental impact of burning fossil fuels.

Warsaw
March 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I don't even understand why everyone is railing against nuclear power here. It's not like the reactor and its safety systems failed of their own accord. A monumental natural disaster all but destroyed the facility. That has nothing to do with the viability of nuclear power as a sustainable source of energy.

sleepy1212
March 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Except:

"Our reactor can withstand 8.0 magnitude earthquakes!"
"And over here you can see the support systems donated by the local origami club"

Kornman00
March 15th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Protip: 8.9 != 8.0

I don't even understand why everyone is railing against nuclear power here. It's not like the reactor and its safety systems failed of their own accord. A monumental natural disaster all but destroyed the facility. That has nothing to do with the viability of nuclear power as a sustainable source of energy.
It's a bandwagon thing. Much like anything you get from ignorant news stories.

=sw=warlord
March 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Except:

"Our reactor can withstand 8.0 magnitude earthquakes!"
"And over here you can see the support systems donated by the local origami club"
Except this earth quake was 9.0 on the Richter scale and not 8.0.

annihilation
March 15th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Besides, the reactor survived the earthquake. The tsunami was the one that ruined it.

=sw=warlord
March 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Besides, the reactor survived the earthquake. The tsunami was the one that ruined it.

Which should be a testament to it's engineering and design.
Considering the battering everything else has i would love to see anything else survive in such a "intact" state.

Warsaw
March 15th, 2011, 05:26 PM
The earthquake exceeded their build specification, brosef. It was an 8.9 magnitude. It also got hit by tsunami, which is not an earthquake in and of itself.

Damnit, ninja'd...sort of.

But I'm still not seeing why this is making everyone afraid of nuclear power. The thing did its job even beyond what it was built for. You can't ask for more than that from any system.

Cortexian
March 15th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Except this earth quake was 9.0 on the Richter scale and not 8.0.
It was an 8.9 quake, stop rounding up to 9.0 because you're lazy. There's a big difference between the two.

PlasbianX
March 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
It was an 8.9 quake, stop rounding up to 9.0 because you're lazy. There's a big difference between the two.

Exactly, an 8.9 earthquake released around 336 megatons of force.
A 9.0 earthquake would be around 474 megatons.

That's a HUGE difference.

annihilation
March 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM

It was upgraded to a 9.0.

Bodzilla
March 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
^ yeah it was.

Stay on top of the news fellas.

=sw=warlord
March 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM

I'm not rounding it up, it got upgraded.
Stop being lazy and get your facts right.
http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=237326
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=japan+quake+upgraded+to+9.0

Warsaw
March 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
That is some crazy, crazy shit.

TVTyrant
March 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Second biggest in recent knowledge. Damn. Some of the shit I've seen coming out of there is pretty nuts. Yesterday I saw a vid of a receding tide pulling a whole town into the ocean with it.

PlasbianX
March 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
*9/11/01 + 3/10/11 = 12/21/2012

Conspiracy. (Dont hate me, just saw this on FB :X)

Kornman00
March 15th, 2011, 09:41 PM
It was on Mar 11th (~0600 UTC), not the 10th

No more conspiracy!

TVTyrant
March 15th, 2011, 10:39 PM
It was on Mar 11th (~0600 UTC), not the 10th

No more conspiracy!
LOL thats awesome.

Cortexian
March 15th, 2011, 11:22 PM
All the news sources here are still reporting it as an 8.9, since those were the officially released statistics. A friend of mine, who is currently in his second year of Geology University, told me that his Prof said it was an 8.9.

I think you're just listening to media exaggeration.

SiriusTexra
March 15th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Have a big read. Links to backup sources.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0100823a7.html
FUKUSHIMA (Kyodo) Tokyo Electric Power Co. on Saturday loaded a nuclear reactor in Fukushima Prefecture with MOX, a controversial fuel made with reprocessed plutonium and uranium oxides, as it prepares to become the leading power utility's first facility to go pluthermal.

Mixing it up: A MOX fuel rod on Saturday is loaded into a nuclear reactor in Fukushima Prefecture. KYODO PHOTO
The No. 3 reactor at Tepco's Fukushima No. 1 plant will be the nation's third pluthermal facility, but only the first to be refurbished since the plant was built 34 years ago.

Tokyo Electric plans to activate the reactor on Sept. 18 and let it start generating electricity on Sept. 23. (2010)

***Recognize that plant name? Yeah, it is the one that blew up****

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf29.html
about Mox use in nuclear plants

http://archive.greenpeace.org/nuclea...toshipsumm.pdf
Green peace information about Mox going to Japan and their very strong concerns about it

http://brc.gov/Reactor_Fuel_Cycle_Te...Evaluation.pdf
A Tepco - Japanese professor about Mox/uranium

http://www.inmm.org/scriptcontent/PN...ch%20paper.pdf
DOE - info on Mox and transportation of it

http://www.ieer.org/ensec/no-3/main.html
The joint study cites a number of safety precautions necessary in the fabrication of MOX fuel relative to uranium fuel. MOX fuel emits higher gamma radiation and much higher neutron radiation than uranium fuel. Therefore, a separate fresh fuel storage facility designed for MOX only fuel containers for on-site use, and transport equipment for fresh fuel may be necessary. Dust resulting from MOX fabrication is also a concern for worker safety because of the dangers of inhaling plutonium (see article on health effects of plutonium).

MOX Spent Fuel:

Plutonium is both used up and produced when MOX fuel is used in reactors. MOX spent fuel contains more plutonium than conventional spent fuel (that is, spent fuel resulting from loading an LWR with low enriched uranium fuel). Conventional spent fuel from LWRs typically contains about one percent plutonium when it is withdrawn from the reactor. The amount of residual plutonium in MOX spent fuel would depend on the initial plutonium loading (percent of plutonium in the fuel), the burn-up of the fuel, and the configuration in which the fuel is used.
For light water reactors using MOX fuel, the NAS calculates that residual plutonium in the spent fuel would range from 1.6 percent (for a 33% MOX core with 4% plutonium loading) to 4.9 percent (for a 100% MOX core with 6.8% plutonium loading). Ranges of 2.5 percent to 6.8 percent plutonium loading have been suggested. In the case of a CANDU reactor using a 100% MOX core, the percentage of plutonium in MOX spent fuel would be between 0.8 and 1.4 percent for MOX fuel containing 1.2 percent and 2.1 percent plutonium, respectively.12

Repository disposal of MOX spent fuel is complicated not only by the higher plutonium content in MOX, but by the larger quantities of transuranic elements in the spent fuel as well. This results in MOX spent fuel being thermally hotter than conventional spent fuel. The presence of greater amounts of transuranic radionuclides like americium-241 also cause persistent higher spent fuel temperatures, and cause the decay of thermal power level to be slower. MOX spent fuel use may therefore require that a host of issues be revisited, such as design of transportation and disposal canisters, and design of on-site spent fuel storage casks. For instance, the higher temperatures may cause storage problems at reactors that have limited storage room in their spent fuel pools. The higher temperature may also result in a need for more repository space, unless a repository is designed to take hotter fuel and withstand higher temperatures. Greater repository space would result in proportionally higher repository disposal costs. In addition, if the amount of residual gallium in MOX spent fuel is too high, it may result in deterioration of the spent fuel cladding, create new issues in evaluating the suitability of a repository, and pose greater risk of groundwater contamination. There are some uncertainties as to the concentration of gallium that might adversely affect spent fuel integrity. The differences between spent MOX fuel and spent uranium fuel pose many complications for reprocessing as well.

excerts from this linked article - this is much more serious than a normal nuclear plant meltdown
http://www.nirs.org/reactorwatch/mox/puupdat4.txt
#Danger of Losing Control of the Reactor Is Greater with MOX

Conventional LWRs are designed to decrease the reactivity when
the temperature rises. But when using Pu-239 as fuel, heating of
the core from an increase in reaction rate tends to increase the
reaction rate still further. This is called the positive
temperature coefficient of reactivity, meaning there is a danger
of losing control of the reactor by accelerated chain reaction of
fissioning.(10)
MOX spent fuel contains more fission products than uranium spent
fuel. The important factor in managing spent fuel is the heat
generation caused by the highly radioactive fission products.
Since spent MOX fuel contains much more fission products, the
heat generation from MOX spent fuel is twice as high as that of
spent uranium fuel after 10 years and three times as high after
100 years.(14)
Plutonium does not exist in the natural environment, and is only
produced in nuclear reactors. It is known as one of the most
toxic elements. It emits high energy alpha radiation, and has
harmful biological effects.

Alpha radiation has a very short range but very intense
ionization power. If exposed on the surface of the skin, the
skin works as a shield and will prevent its penetration into the
body, but all of its ionizing power will be focused on the small
spot, causing burns and killing the skin tissue. If inhaled
into the body, the alpha particle will go in through the
respiratory tract, and enter the lung. Due to its long
half-life, it will stay in the body permanently, emitting alpha
radiation, and killing the surrounding tissues by strong
ionization. If plutonium is taken into the body in soluble form
(e.g. plutonium nitrate) through food chain, it will enter the
blood stream, and into the bones, liver and genital organs where
it will be enriched. Alpha radiation leads to reactions in the
cells of living things. It can cause damage to the nucleus and
DNA of the cell, in effect causing genetic damage in descendants,
particularly if germ cells are affected.(15)
#Dangers of Resuspension in the Environment

In the event of a contamination of the environment with
plutonium, the whirling up and inhalation of plutonium particles,
known as resuspension, plays an important role. If there is a
road traffic, building work or cleaning work at the plutonium
contaminated site, plutonium can enter the body through the
respiratory tract. Generally, the more whirled up, the greater
the dose intake per quantity of plutonium on the ground. If
there is fire, and plutonium becomes airborne into fine aerosol
particles, plutonium contamination of the environment will extend
to a far larger scale, landing on ground, contaminating a vast
wider area. Plutonium remains effective over very long periods
affecting the health of the people and the environment.(16)
#Accident Scenario When Burning MOX

Accidents involving overheating and meltdown are possible in any
nuclear reactors. In such accidents, not only would readily
volatile noble gases, like iodine and caesium be released
to the environment, but a small portion of the actinides,
including plutonium and neptunium would be released. As the
activity of the actinides is substantially higher in the case of
MOX, the consequences of such severe accidents become more
serious.

When MOX fuels are used, the probability of having such serious
accidents or trouble would increase due to the high content of
plutonium in the fuel. Even if an accident is not a serious one,
it could become serious since even a small portion of the
inventory of actinides released to the environment could cause
significant radiological consequences.
#Accidents at Fabrication Plants

Accidents at MOX fuel fabrication plants have occurred. In June,
1991, the storage bunker of the MOX fuel fabrication plant in
Hanau, Germany was contaminated with MOX. It occurred after the
rupture of a foil for container packaging in the course of an
in-plant transportation process. Five workers were exposed to
plutonium. This accident was the main reason the fabrication
plant at Hanau was shut down.(19)

In November, 1992, a rod was broken through a handling error and
MOX dust released during the mounting of MOX fuel rods to fuel
assemblies in the fuel fabrication facility adjoining the MOX
facility in Dessel, Belgium.(20)

In event of such accidents, if the International Commission on
Radiological Protection (ICRP) recommendations for general public
exposure were adhered to, only about 1 mg of plutonium may be
released from a MOX facility to the environment. As a
comparison, in uranium fabrication facility, 2kg (2,000,000mg)of
uranium could be released in the same radiation exposure. A 1 mg
release of plutonium from a processing process can easily happen
from various smaller incidents.

One other bit of information - KI pills do no good against MOX - it is only good for Uranium radiation. Plutonium is not affected by the pills.

I'd also like to note, that Nuclear power, when done right, designed right is great. Building 50 odd plants within an earthquake(tsunami) zone? Not smart.

Its hard to say whether it'll be Chernobyl level yet, as Chernobyl was immense, though it was one reactor. Whereas this is multiples. combine that with all the special situations like the earthquake and disease waters/tsunami, Japan being very densely populated, etc. None of that is good news.

However, Rods breaking free from their sheathing and melting into slag, burning through the bottom and causing plumes of dust and unhinged radiation like Chernobyl? Not sure if it's quite that bad yet.

If that containment cracks though, it gets bad, at least in a local area effect. How far this spreads, depends on just sheer goodluck/badluck after that. Current climate patterns and projections don't give the US west coast a nice chance, if that were to happen though.

i.e. Western Australia looks really great about now.

Dwood
March 16th, 2011, 12:58 AM
:dane:

TVTyrant
March 16th, 2011, 01:10 AM
No, Dane would claim that the world was a beautiful rational place and no on ever did anything wrong ever.

BTW: I just looked at his profile. I can't believe that he was banned two years ago. I miss those old threads. I looked through a couple and literally spit out Mountain Dew laughing. :nostalgiahard:

Dwood
March 16th, 2011, 01:38 AM
SiriusTexra IS DaneO'Roo btw.

TVTyrant
March 16th, 2011, 01:45 AM
What? Why wasn't I told >:{(

Warsaw
March 16th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Lol, that's embarrassing...

As for the fuel: they use MOX because it's more efficient, and they are right. They get more power per kilogram of fuel than we do with our LWRs.

CN3089
March 16th, 2011, 03:19 AM
CANDU supremacy~

=sw=warlord
March 16th, 2011, 06:35 AM
All the news sources here are still reporting it as an 8.9, since those were the officially released statistics. A friend of mine, who is currently in his second year of Geology University, told me that his Prof said it was an 8.9.

I think you're just listening to media exaggeration.
Right, because there are plenty of sources stating that the quake has in fact been upgraded, both here and in Japan.
A personal friend of mine moved over near where the fukushima plant is located a few years ago.
He's the one who first told me about it being upgraded after hearing it on his news stations.

Kornman00
March 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM
A super duper awesome friend that I personally know because he's my super duper awesome friend said that a pack of Ghost Riders came out from one of the cracks caused by the earthquake then started to head towards a power plant.

True story. From there we can infer that Ghost Riders are to blame for the power plant's problems.

=sw=warlord
March 16th, 2011, 08:49 AM
A super duper awesome friend that I personally know because he's my super duper awesome friend said that a pack of Ghost Riders came out from one of the cracks caused by the earthquake then started to head towards a power plant.

True story. From there we can infer that Ghost Riders are to blame for the power plant's problems.
You know, considering you berate people for trolling, you are a pretty large hypocrite who can't even hold your own standards.
You're a idiot if you think your little trole story is going to hold any water upto the official released information.
[source1] (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366395/Japan-tsunami-earthquake-Rescuers-pick-way-apocalypse-wasteland.html)
[Source2] (http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/03/powerful-japan-quake-sparks-ts.html)
[source3] (http://www.streetarticles.com/news-and-society/japan-earthquake-updated-to-9-by-united-states-geological-survey)

The damage that has been done and the plausible danger imposed by the reactor problems has actually made alot of university and college student exchange organisations to tell their students to move back to their native countries until the situation is under better control.
Here's a short snip of word on the grapevine.
http://i51.tinypic.com/v81u1t.jpg

Dwood
March 16th, 2011, 06:53 PM
HOLD UP.

WAT.

TVTyrant
March 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah wtf was that facebook thing. Does not compute for me >:/

=sw=warlord
March 16th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah wtf was that facebook thing. Does not compute for me >:/

Apparently UCAS one of the university/college unions has said that they're pulling students who are studying in japan back home because of the unstable situation and fears of another quake.
I've already posted sources stating the quake was upgraded to 9.0 but apparently various people thought I was trolling in some form when I pointed out that I had first heard when a personal friend mentioned about it.

Cortexian
March 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah, and all I'm saying is that a personal friend of mine, who is situated in a University that has access to the global quake sensors. His professor cancelled their classes early on the day-of because he wanted to go review the quake data from Japan and area. He told his class that nothing registered past 8.9, and they had a good long class on it the next day.

But I guess if your friend told you, this professor doesn't know dick all and is wrong. I'm more inclined to believe a professor with degrees and facts than the media and friends who heard the media.

*media hype*

Dwood
March 16th, 2011, 07:26 PM
http://ca.gizmodo.com/5781566/this-is-the-scariest-first+person-video-of-the-japan-tsunami-yet

=sw=warlord
March 16th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah, and all I'm saying is that a personal friend of mine, who is situated in a University that has access to the global quake sensors. His professor cancelled their classes early on the day-of because he wanted to go review the quake data from Japan and area. He told his class that nothing registered past 8.9, and they had a good long class on it the next day.

But I guess if your friend told you, this professor doesn't know dick all and is wrong. I'm more inclined to believe a professor with degrees and facts than the media and friends who heard the media.

*media hype*

Tell me Freelancer, where exactly do you think said media get their figures from?
Infact, where do you think newscientist.com get their facts from?
Oh right, only the US Geological Survey who will no doubt have alot more access to the tools required to measure said quakes, but of course your professor must know alot more than said organisation right?
I'm simply passing the info on from down the grape vine, UCAS are the ones telling students to leave not the media, UCAS also rely on scientific organisations such as the Geological survey to provide accurate details to the people they are responsible for the safety on.

@Dwood, I think this more than gives a good example of the devastation that occured.
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/03/11/PA-10353159.jpg

TVTyrant
March 16th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Dwood that one is nuts. I saw it on Facebook a couple days ago. Holy fuck what a mess. Combine that with the nuclear disaster and everything else going on there, and it looks like the end of the world over there. Good thing I live in Amercuh, and not in Japan!

Cortexian
March 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Tell me Freelancer, where exactly do you think said media get their figures from?
Infact, where do you think newscientist.com get their facts from?
Oh right, only the US Geological Survey who will no doubt have alot more access to the tools required to measure said quakes, but of course your professor must know alot more than said organisation right?
I'm simply passing the info on from down the grape vine, UCAS are the ones telling students to leave not the media, UCAS also rely on scientific organisations such as the Geological survey to provide accurate details to the people they are responsible for the safety on.

Why are you getting mad at me, I'm just passing on facts from an unbiased source. The professor I'm referring to is part of the National Earthquake Information Center (NEIC), which is part of the USGS. I guess there's conflicting reports within their ranks.

Well, I guess he's not "part of it" but he and a few others maintain the equipment for them where they are located.

ThePlague
March 16th, 2011, 07:58 PM
To those talking about the nuclear disaster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBvUtY0PfB8

annihilation
March 16th, 2011, 08:19 PM
That guy is annoying.

Cortexian
March 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM
He doesn't even need to say anything, his hands could do it all for him.

ThePlague
March 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
How can you not like vlogbrothers? :|

Dwood
March 16th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Watched the whole video without sound. I think I got the point.

TVTyrant
March 17th, 2011, 01:34 AM
MyTTrj4wKMU&feature=relmfu

The images look like something out of a movie. Probably the worst scene I have ever looked at other than old news footage of Hiroshima. Fucking insane.

Dwood
March 17th, 2011, 02:32 AM
the difference between an 8.2 and the 8.9 that happened is 5 times, not 0.7 did not know that.

Bodzilla
March 17th, 2011, 07:11 AM
i thought it went up 10x every .1 :/

so that the difference between an 8.0 and a 9.0 is 100 times

Dwood
March 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM
i thought it went up 10x every .1 :/

so that the difference between an 8.0 and a 9.0 is 100 times
nope, it's logarithmic. but I was never good at logarithms anyway.

Limited
March 17th, 2011, 03:07 PM
UCAS are the ones telling students to leave not the media, UCAS also rely on scientific organisations such as the Geological survey to provide accurate details to the people they are responsible for the safety on.

Cobby, UCAS has no power. They can only 'advise' people to leave, they might be able to stop the courses they run but UCAS itself cannot say "YOU HAVE TO LEAVE".

The Japan earthquake (before it was upgraded to 9.0) was 8,000 times more powerful than the one in NZ.

Did any one see 50 cents bad joke about the quake a few days ago?

“Look this is very serious people I had to evacuate all my hoes from LA, Hawaii and Japan. I had to do it. Lol,” he Tweeted.

=sw=warlord
March 17th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Cobby, UCAS has no power. They can only 'advise' people to leave, they might be able to stop the courses they run but UCAS itself cannot say "YOU HAVE TO LEAVE".

They can however withdraw or at the very least affect your ability to claim educational grants and funding for housing.

Limited
March 17th, 2011, 04:42 PM
They can however withdraw or at the very least affect your ability to claim educational grants and funding for housing.
Yes they can, but not over matters like this. Your accusation sounds ungrounded and to be frank, absolutely ludicrous.

Apparently UCAS one of the university/college unions
I quote you, you say UCAS is a union? You do realise what UCAS is right? "The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service" Sure as hell doesn't sound like a union to me.

We are the organisation responsible for managing applications to higher education courses in the UK. Not only do we process more than two million applications for full-time undergraduate courses every year, but we help students to find the right course. We try to make things run as smoothly as possible by providing innovative online tools which make it easier for students and higher education institutions (HEIs) to manage applications and offers.

Cobby, please either post some proof about this UCAS stuff, or shut the hell up.

Edit:
Just some random info for your shits and giggles.

Limited says (22:26)
thought you had other things to do, or was i mildy mistaken?

Warlord says (22:26)
I do, but when i make my response I feel as though I should actually do some back checking on things before hand so i have sources on hand

Limited says (22:27)
your kidding right?

Warlord says (22:27)
you know, to actually have sources on hand instead of just throwing around random blurbs like freelancer seems to be doing

Limited says (22:27)
quote -" Warlord says (22:23)
I'm simply passing the info down from the grape vine"

grape vine doesnt equal sources, warlord...

Limited says (22:40)
you just said they were removing funding too

Warlord says (22:40)
that is a assumption on my part

Warlord says (22:42)
the union thing was pretty much a guess on my part

Limited says (22:42)
you sure do seem to be doing alot of guessing

Limited says (22:43)
even though "I do, but when i make my response I feel as though I should actually do some back checking on things before hand so i have sources on hand

Cortexian
March 19th, 2011, 11:32 PM
7,700 confirmed causalities from this now. Radiation from the power plants now at dangerous levels in milk and spinach!

Warsaw
March 20th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I heard that the radiation in milk and spinach was no more than you'd receive from a CAT scan, and that's after consuming it for a year.

Kornman00
March 20th, 2011, 06:03 AM
My internal Geiger counter must be tingling, because I hate both

Bodzilla
March 20th, 2011, 06:10 AM
you hate MILK?

Nigga you crazy.
Milk is DELICIOUS

=sw=warlord
March 20th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Well it's the Chernobyl 3 all over again.

180 people, engineers, scientists, technicians and emergency personnel have walked into the plant at Fukushima in the hopes the cool the reactive rods and possible perform some repairs, None epect to come back home alive.
They are calling them the Fukushima 50 because 50 people will be working at any one time.
One man, having already been exposed to dangerous levels of radiation, told his wife: "Please continue to live well, I cannot be home for a while."
Nuclear experts have said the men are on a suicide mission and that not even their airtight suits can save them from contamination.
And if they survive, they will face a lifetime of health problems.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12779510
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/a-fathers-goodbye-live-well-i-cannot-be-home-for-a-while-2245411.html

Bodzilla
March 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I wish you all the luck you brave selfless people.
May you succeed so another disaster can be avoided.

your the most noble people to walk to earth since tank man. and i hope that you succeed, and your sacrifice will not be in vain.

Cortexian
March 20th, 2011, 07:49 AM
"not even their airtight suits can save them"

Someone doesn't understand how radiation works :v:

I honestly can't believe just how honorable the Japanese society is, there's been almost NO looting or other acts of public maliciousness for personal gain. Now there are highly educated Nuclear technicians going on suicide runs for the greater good. These are things that you see in movies here in North America, and it wouldn't be a group of people risking their lives, it would be one single beacon of hope shining out from a pool of filth.

Respect to you Japan.

=sw=warlord
March 20th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Depends, if it's Alpha then a piece of paper can block it depending on the severity.
But that part was taken from here (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Fukushima-Nuclear-Plant-Workers-Are-Heroes-After-Risking-Own-Lives-To-Avert-Meltdown-In-Japan/Article/201103315954904?lpos=World_News_Third_Home_Page_Ar ticle_Teaser_Region__0&lid=ARTICLE_15954904_Fukushima_Nuclear_Plant_Worke rs_Are_Heroes_After_Risking_Own_Lives_To_Avert_Mel tdown_In_Japan_) which I would suggest not reading the user comments on because it's filled with the cesspool of society armed to the brim with armchair generals and pseudo diplomats.

Limited
March 20th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Wow, what a group of honourable people. I hope their sacrific is not in vein, and end up saving the plant from explosion.

Radiation poisoning is a horrific way to die, do you reckon they have a way of 'ending it' quickly after they fix the plant?

=sw=warlord
March 20th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Wow, what a group of honourable people. I hope their sacrific is not in vein, and end up saving the plant from explosion.

Radiation poisoning is a horrific way to die, do you reckon they have a way of 'ending it' quickly after they fix the plant?

Going for a swim in the reactor pool would be a quick way to end it all I think.
On a more interesting note.
You may want to read this:
http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Mr Buckshot
March 20th, 2011, 12:43 PM

I honestly can't believe just how honorable the Japanese society is, there's been almost NO looting or other acts of public maliciousness for personal gain. Now there are highly educated Nuclear technicians going on suicide runs for the greater good. These are things that you see in movies here in North America, and it wouldn't be a group of people risking their lives, it would be one single beacon of hope shining out from a pool of filth.

Respect to you Japan.

Even their outlaws are trying to help out. I heard that during the '95 quake, the Yakuza actually mobilized a helicopter to help out with relief efforts (not that it absolves them of their many sins, but it does show that they aren't all that bad after all), and they got help for the locals faster than the government did. I've yet to see this coming from the Chinese Triads or the drug cartels in Latin America.

TeeKup
March 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM
The Japanese are a very discipline and honor bound people. Don't expect them to fall to the same fallacies that you would see in others.

Pooky
March 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Naw, they have fallacies all their own.

But seriously, massive respect to these guys. Their families should be proud to have known them.

Rook
March 20th, 2011, 02:17 PM

Respect to you Japan.

I guess they're doing good with helping each other out but that doesn't mean they're not pedophiles!

Cortexian
March 21st, 2011, 01:06 AM
You may want to read this:
http://xkcd.com/radiation/
Apparently I had about 17.8 mSv thrown into me over two weeks at a hospital when I had my Pnumothorax incident and they gave me 3 chest CT's and a bunch of chest x-rays. That's over a third the level permitted by U.S. radiation workers.

Not really that dangerous I suppose but still.

TVTyrant
March 21st, 2011, 01:09 AM
you hate MILK?

Nigga you crazy.
Milk is DELICIOUS
This.

Greatest non-alcoholic beverage.

Cortexian
March 21st, 2011, 01:13 AM
Greatest non-alcoholic beverage.
http://www.adultchocolatemilk.com/home

Greatest beverage.

xavierJ
March 26th, 2011, 04:41 AM
I can't imagine How devastated Japan at this moment, My heart was filled and moved with compassion as I was watching the Video of Earthquake that cause Tsunami ruin the lives of Japanese people! Though they were used to it when it comes to earthquake and prepared for this kind of calamities but still earthquakes were too far inland to trigger major "tsunamis (http://www.newsytype.com/5071-earthquakes-burma-myanmar/)", like what happened at Myanmar it was a very powerful earthquake too!

Dwood
March 26th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Normally this is a taboo but I must say the person posting about this in their efforts to build up their search ability in google did a good job.