PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

WaeV
March 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hi, the name's WaeV. I'm a second-year Computer Science student at RIT, Eagle Scout, white male from the glorious state of Maine.

I first started modding Halo right around the time that HMT and HHT were just being released. I used to be a member of HaloMods, but I became a ModHalo.net regular around the end of 2009, and I've pretty much been there ever since.

The only good mod I've released is called Valkrieg (http://www.modhalo.net/index.php?/topic/23655-valkrieg/page__pid__211897#entry211897), and it involves extensive use of the "flashlight trigger" I wrote a tutorial on over at MH. I've started plenty of mods, though. (Who hasn't?)

My current Halo project is less mod-related and more program-related. I started implementing Modzy's Open Halo Parser in Python to get a feel for the mapfile, but now I've moved to C++. I've already implemented memory-mapping of the file for an extra edge in file I/O.

Oh, and despite my 6-7 years of modding Halo, I've never actually used the HEK to do anything. =P I should probably get around to that, as I've finally gotten Sapien working on my PC. We'll see though. This programming project is eating up more of my time and interest.

So yeah. Hi.

Rainbow Dash
March 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM
hi

Donut
March 17th, 2011, 04:21 PM
hey cool, im going to RIT with a game design major next year :iamafag:

ThePlague
March 17th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Sup.

Hotrod
March 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Computer Science, eh? I was in CompSci last semester, but then I ended up hating it. So now I'm in finance :) Anyway, good to see new members here that seem to be mature and respectful, so welcome to the forums!

WaeV
March 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Haha, thanks everyone.

This forum seems to be more CE-oriented than PC, is that right? Do you guys use tools like Eschaton, or is it all HEK here?

Donut
March 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM
all HEK as far as i know

Ifafudafi
March 17th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I didn't know people still modded halo, huh

tbqh the site's become more of a pseudo-exclusive general interest club for a small group of ex-HCE modders, but I hope you can find what you're looking for

(and yeah I haven't seen much PC modding here, but I haven't seen much modding at all in quite a while)

WaeV
March 17th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Haha, yeah ModHalo's a lot more like a hangout site these days, too. There are quite a few new modders, though, and the old guys still try to help them out. Halo FTW2 was about to be finished again, but everyone involved got caught up playing Minecraft, lol.

Atm I'm basically exploring the Halo Map structure and seeing what sorts of interesting programs I can create. Doesn't seem like there's a huge demand for such programs these days, but I might find some helpful info here anyways.

PlasbianX
March 17th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Haha, yeah ModHalo's a lot more like a hangout site these days, too. There are quite a few new modders, though, and the old guys still try to help them out. Halo FTW2 was about to be finished again, but everyone involved got caught up playing Minecraft, lol.

Atm I'm basically exploring the Halo Map structure and seeing what sorts of interesting programs I can create. Doesn't seem like there's a huge demand for such programs these days, but I might find some helpful info here anyways.

Being a compsci major, you could always do the apps anyways just for the purpose of using them in a portfolio. (I'm a Computer Art and Graphics Programming major [mix of compsci and digital art])

Dwood
March 17th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Being a compsci major, you could always do the apps anyways just for the purpose of using them in a portfolio. (I'm a Computer Art and Graphics Programming major [mix of compsci and digital art])

How's that working out for you? I've been interested in a major combo like that for a while...

Siliconmaster
March 18th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Hi, welcome!

Limited
March 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Why hello good sir! What was your name on Halomods? Your current project sounds alot like ShadowSpartans :)

Glad to see another coder on the site :)

Edit:
Wow check what I found, cant believe we thought that was amazing back in the day.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AqqchPydb3YJ:rework3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D13919%26sid%3Dcb7cf133e98465d3 cc492ed287dd13df+9mm-man+halomods&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk

WaeV
March 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM

Mm. That's very true.

Why hello good sir! What was your name on Halomods? Your current project sounds alot like ShadowSpartans :)

Glad to see another coder on the site :)
Thanks! My name on HaloMods was also WaeV. Well, it was originally "~WAVE~" for a few months, then I changed it to what it is now.

What is this ShadowSpartans of which you speak?

Wow check what I found, cant believe we thought that was amazing back in the day.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AqqchPydb3YJ:rework3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D13919%26sid%3Dcb7cf133e98465d3 cc492ed287dd13df+9mm-man+halomods&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk
Haha, yeah I love looking at the old mods and seeing what was "omg amazing!" back in the day. My eternal favorite is Deimos' chain-spawning mod. That was a real portent to what we've been able to stretch this engine to do.

sevlag
March 24th, 2011, 10:03 PM
░█████░░░░░█████░
█░░░░░█░░░█░░░░░█
░░███░░░░░░░███░░█
░█░░░█░░░░░█░░░██
█░░░███░░░█░░░███
█░░████░░░█░░████
█░░░███░░░█░░░███
░█░░░█░░░░░█████
░░███░░░░░█░░░░░██
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█ █
░░██░░░░██░░░░░░░░███
░░░████████░░░░░░░███ Hello
░░░░████████░░░░░███
░░░░░░████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

why are posts so ASCII art unfriendly?

Cortexian
March 24th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Because vBulletin decided that removing extra spaces and a non-standard width font would be cool.

WaeV
March 26th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Heh, you can always use the code tags, I suppose.

legionaire45
March 26th, 2011, 08:16 PM
2nd year Software Engineering (ex-Computer Science) student at RIT here. Hi :D

WaeV
March 27th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Oh really? Haha, we might know each other and not even realize it. ChvyVele at ModHalo is at RIT, too.

INSANEdrive
March 27th, 2011, 08:57 PM
*Pops out of the mist of pipes that is the internet to say Hello to a familiar 'face'*

Hello! (And long time no see) :woop:

...And like that he dissipated with a boom and a flash.

*A Boom!*

*Light Blink!*

:neckbeard:

Donut
March 27th, 2011, 09:22 PM
looks like im going to be making some new friends later on this year

WaeV
March 27th, 2011, 09:43 PM
*Pops out of the mist of pipes that is the internet to say Hello to a familiar 'face'*

At first I was like... "Who the hell?"
:aaaaa:
And then I was like "OHHHHHH!"

=sw=warlord
March 28th, 2011, 06:20 AM

Hello! (And long time no see) :woop:

...And like that he dissipated with a boom and a flash.

*A Boom!*

*Light Blink!*

Oh...my....You actually showed up here at last.