PDA

View Full Version : Future looks bright for science!

Necr0matic
March 27th, 2011, 05:55 AM
http://www.dailymail...relativity.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369595/Jacob-Barnett-12-higher-IQ-Einstein-develops-theory-relativity.html)

I think we will be in good hands.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.c...ser/mathboysmom (http://www.youtube.com/user/mathboysmom) - Boys youtube channel

I'd like to see this theory of relativity, all the video showed was some simple calculus.

n00b1n8R
March 27th, 2011, 06:48 AM
huh. Seems like the sort of guy I'd want to hang with, as odd as that sounds

Kornman00
March 27th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I have that same shirt. Ergo, I just proved his theory wrong :mech2:

ejburke
March 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Einstein never took an IQ test -- they weren't invented yet. Not that IQ is a great indicator of supreme intelligence or that IQ scores of children hold up as they become adults.

It just seems like a feel-good child prodigy story to me. I am very skeptical that he actually learned all that stuff in a week. He might have read about it and understood it, but math is a skill to be practiced more than a concept to be understood. The biggest hurdle is learning to read the notation and that is all arbitrary stuff that someone came up with and would mean nothing to you, no matter how smart you are, until you investigated them.

I think the take-away from this story should be that we are living in the era of information and learning is as easy and cheap as it has ever been. I would recommend checking out Khan Academy on YouTube if you want to get some perspective on how easy math can be. I got through his Linear Algebra playlist in 2 weeks and that stuff has been a real game-changer for me. On top of that, gaining intuition about new concepts is a very real and tangible high. Burning through a 140 video playlist in 2 weeks is indicative of how addicting it is.

Hotrod
March 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Shit...that kid knows more about calculus than I do :S

Kornman00
March 27th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I would recommend checking out Khan Academy on YouTube
They're also up on iTunes (for free). That's where I get my fix.

Shit...that kid knows more about calculus than I do :S
He's the rossmum for the math world ;p

:ross:

Dwood
March 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Poor kid won't have a life. All I gotta say.

Necr0matic
March 27th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Why do they always write on windows? Why not paper or even white/blackboards? Rainman, Will Hunting and now this guy...

Kornman00
March 27th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Because his whiteboard was filled with "theories" or some shit.

He needs to get someone to buy or make him a digitalboard. Then he can just save his work and go on to other stuff. Like basic calculus!

Donut
March 27th, 2011, 06:34 PM
i was just thinking that^.
good will hunting IRL.

sleepy1212
March 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM
But far from complaining, Jake has turned the sleepless nights to his advantage - debunking the big bang theory
huh?

Dwood
March 28th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Something doesn't seem right to me about this kid... Doubt he's genuine.

Kornman00
March 28th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Maybe he's the anti-christ, here to prove to us once and for all that god is mathematically impossibles, that the holocaust never happened and that Lady Gaga does indeed have a pen15 :mech2:

Oh, and then there's that little thing called the big bang theory.

Bodzilla
March 28th, 2011, 06:14 PM
if he's debunked the big bang theory, the reason you havnt heard about it is it hasnt been confirmed and tested through peer review and repeated testing by other scientists.

once Thats happened, if his theory doesnt have any holes or mistakes THEN it'll be publised and become a theory.
Until then it's no different then when Einstein thought he had the theory of everything.... until other scientists pointed out his mistakes.

king_nothing_
March 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Einstein never took an IQ test -- they weren't invented yet.
Sure they were. You're correct that he never took one, but even the scoring method that is used today (deviation IQ) was developed in his lifetime.

DarkHalo003
March 29th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Until anything is made that changes the world for the better, then I could honestly care less. It really just sounds like another "OMG THE MEDIA UNCOVERED ANOTHER RECENTLY HIDDEN GENIUS IN THE WORLD." How many more people do you think can already do this who haven't been put in the spotlight?

Bodzilla
March 30th, 2011, 07:25 AM
your an idiot.

Knowledge is what allows us to make improvements later on.

sleepy1212
March 30th, 2011, 07:28 AM
your an idiot.

:v:

DarkHalo003
March 30th, 2011, 08:27 PM
your an idiot.

Knowledge is what allows us to make improvements later on.
Wat. My comment was just directed at how the media spotlights people and acts like only their find (the genius they found) is the only one as smart as their finding (the genius). My comment had nothing to do with intelligence or knowledge directly. When I mentioned I didn't care how smart the media says this kid is I was saying it because of my explanation two sentences ago. Now if he did something renowned for the first time and the media was introducing him through that (not something relatively abstract, but more concrete like a cure for an illness) discovery, then my statement would be different in a ways.

king_nothing_
March 30th, 2011, 10:45 PM
You honestly think a 12 year old kid with an IQ of 170 (99.9998th percentile) who understands upper-level math and astrophysics, is taking college courses, and is already being lined up for a paid research role...is not worthy of a bit of media coverage? Really?

TVTyrant
March 30th, 2011, 11:01 PM
^this. Honestly man the media can do whatever they like. Its their damn money. If you think its a waste of time, then don't read it/watch it.

DarkHalo003
March 31st, 2011, 06:29 PM
You honestly think a 12 year old kid with an IQ of 170 (99.9998th percentile) who understands upper-level math and astrophysics, is taking college courses, and is already being lined up for a paid research role...is not worthy of a bit of media coverage? Really?
Not when there are and have been people with similar capabilities as him. It's cool the kid is that smart, but my point is that it's overhyped. Awesome that kids can be that smart, but easily overhyped. I'm glad the kid is getting some deserved attention, but it's really being overhyped, especially when there are people who can do the same or close to the same and contribute as much or close to as much.

@TV: I have the right to speak my mind on matters. Plus, if I didn't read what I didn't want to, then how would I ever form a decent opinion about anything that isn't entirely inconsiderate?

Patrickssj6
March 31st, 2011, 07:20 PM
We know that there are about 5 people in the world who could beat Phelps, but most of them cannot even afford water to drink. Meanwhile Phelps swims in a pool that pumps a current of 100 liters per minute.

Media can cover what they want, stupid people hype it but as you can see...it even made it onto this forum so it is somewhat "interesting". Certainly more interesting than a story about a dog who carries his poop bag to the garbage can (no joke...).

n00b1n8R
March 31st, 2011, 09:13 PM
Until anything is made that changes the world for the better, then I could honestly care less. It really just sounds like another "OMG THE MEDIA UNCOVERED ANOTHER RECENTLY HIDDEN GENIUS IN THE WORLD." How many more people do you think can already do this who haven't been put in the spotlight?

Assuming 6B people on earth, there are a whopping total of around 9000 people with that IQ.
That's 0.000153% of the population. Kinda note worthy, especially in a case where it's being properly developed.

Meanwhile Phelps swims in a pool that pumps a current of 100 liters per minute.

That's a volumetric flow bro, not a current :eng101:

Patrickssj6
April 1st, 2011, 06:15 AM
That's a volumetric flow bro, not a current :eng101:
What do I know about English science, here in Germany we use juice and not water :v:

Not but seriously, I just couldn't find another word for current.

sleepy1212
April 1st, 2011, 06:26 AM
a dog who carries his poop bag to the garbage can (no joke...).
oh..so the big bang isn't true. someone should tell the kid.

Bodzilla
April 1st, 2011, 06:58 AM
nope.avi

Oh i thought shitting on threads is what we do here.

ApRIL TOOLLZZZ

TeeKup
April 1st, 2011, 09:42 AM
GOD FUCKING DAMNIT BODZILLA

king_nothing_
April 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM
April Bans?

Bodzilla
April 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
I contest the warning on these grounds.

post goatse everywhere or something idk i forgot april fools was tomorrow :v:
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?23217-april-fools&p=577329#post577329

It was april fools, so you should of just reset the forum like it's been done every year after it's over.

TVTyrant
April 1st, 2011, 09:54 PM
@TV: I have the right to speak my mind on matters. Plus, if I didn't read what I didn't want to, then how would I ever form a decent opinion about anything that isn't entirely inconsiderate?
Did I say you couldn't? Sure didn't. All I said was that I think your making a big deal out of it. Wasn't it a local news report anyways? I mean, its not like CBS Nightly did a 5 minute deal on this kid.

Mr Buckshot
April 6th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Did anyone else think of mason in Black Ops at the line "constantly sees numbers in his head"?