PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle collision models

FredKrueger
March 30th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Hey. I have a few custom vehicles that I have made but they all have one similar problem. Other vehicles can go through it as if the collision model isn't even there. The coll model works just fine against the player and projectiles though.
Anyone know what could possibly be wrong?
I can upload the tags if anyone needs them.

OpsY
March 31st, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm eager to see the answer to this. Physics is a rare skill around and there aren't much tutorials explaining how they work or even how to fix the existing ones.

BobtheGreatII
March 31st, 2011, 04:24 PM
To be honest I'm not 100% sure. I used to have a problem with my collision model having a gap or open poly somewhere. This would cause the collision model to build improperly and thus make it very glitchy and possible to drive through... Make sure you just have a very basic collision model, it doesn't need to contain 100% of everything that's in the model, such as little details. This could also just be a problem with how you have your physics model set up in CE. Play around with it, and hope that someone here has a better response than me.

FredKrueger
March 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM
I actually wasn't even thinking about messing with the physic tag, I'll try looking around in there. And I am pretty sure the coll models are fine because they are pretty much just boxes and I have redone them several times.
Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

Edit: Actually the physics may be the problem because I just re-used the banshee.physics tag rather than making a new tag. Mainly because I have no idea what I am doing with it. Would not having the correct model create this problem? Will test in a few min by just making a basic tag and trying to drive through it.

Patrickssj6
March 31st, 2011, 07:11 PM
Physics are not very hard to understand. Search on Halomaps for the physics importer by rec0.

For the collision model, most of the time you just want to create a basic shape like a box and just modify it roughly to cover your vehicle. Just think about "where do I want the player to go/shoot through".

Also open other collision tags and look at something called "bounding" (hell it has been 5 years since I opened a tag :P). Also for physics the trick is to take an existing physics tag (e.g. banshee), put it in your vehicle directory, rename it accordingly to your vehicle so when you compile your new physics model with tool, it overwrites the old one. A nice trick from the past.

FredKrueger
March 31st, 2011, 07:24 PM
Physics are not very hard to understand. Search on Halomaps for the physics importer by rec0.
I'll try that out when I get time, thanks.

For the collision model, most of the time you just want to create a basic shape like a box and just modify it roughly to cover your vehicle. Just think about "where do I want the player to go/shoot through".
Generally that is what I do but for the last two they were pretty complex and needed something more than that. For example this http://www.xfire.com/profile/krueger933/screenshots/?view#112280912 where I need to have that empty space in the middle.

Also open other collision tags and look at something called "bounding" (hell it has been 5 years since I opened a tag :P). You mean in the vehicle tag?I have messed with that, right now I have it at 12.Also for physics the trick is to take an existing physics tag (e.g. banshee), put it in your vehicle directory, rename it accordingly to your vehicle so when you compile your new physics model with tool, it overwrites the old one. A nice trick from the past.
Ye that's what I do with all of my vehicles :P
Obviously my answers are in red.

edit: Just tried my custom physics and it didn't work. So I am going to assume it is something else.

Patrickssj6
April 1st, 2011, 05:44 AM
It's probably the physics not the collision. Show us an image of the physics model. You should have big ballz under your vehicle were it should touch the ground.

sleepy1212
April 1st, 2011, 06:35 AM
You should have big ballz under your vehicle were it should touch the ground.
:realsmug:

FredKrueger
April 2nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Well damn man, you were right. I wasn't thinking the first time around and forgot to add the markers. Just did that and it collides fine. Thanks guys for helping.