PDA

View Full Version : Sucker Punch

Cortexian
April 3rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
So I just saw this movie because Cineplex (the theater monopoly around here) had a deal with their SCENE program, you get 300 points instead of 100 if you go see it. Why does that matter? 1,000 points gets you a free movie admission or concession combo.

Anyway, about 15-20 minutes in I literally face-palmed and said not-so-quietly "WHAT THE FUCK AM I WATCHING?" and a few of the other 10 people in the audience had a good laugh. If you haven't heard of this movie it's because it isn't worth watching and has a story-line that must have been conceived in Japan by some anime sci-fi ninja samurai military action fighting writer... I mean, just watch the trailer:
KrIiYSdEe4E&hd=1

The only good parts were the hot girls in skimpy outfits wielding guns in a fairly realistic fashion. I mean I seriously enjoyed watching them use those firearms because they probably had some of the most realistic and disciplined firearms training before shooting those scenes. Then they started blocking bullets with their samurai swords and jumping through the air dodging bullets like a Jedi and the scene was ruined for me.

Pros:
• Hot Girls.
• Skimpy Outfits.
• Guns.
• Explosions.
• Gun discipline and usage more realistic than most Hollywood movies I've seen recently.

Cons:
• Story.
• Cutting from one kind of flashback to another and then to a fantasy world with little warning.

If you've seen this, share your opinions please! I'd love to hear what the rest of you thought about this questionable movie and it's story...

Kornman00
April 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
I seem to recall hearing about this or seeing a teaser. Didn't really care for what I saw back then.

Just watched the trailer and...yeah, that just looks like an army of cliches all rolled into one movie. Surprised Angelina Jolie wasn't the star!

annihilation
April 3rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
I can't believe I went to see this masturbation fantasy for a 13 year old nerd.
Almost no story, character, or anything beyond it's CGI and half naked girls.

Cortexian
April 3rd, 2011, 09:12 PM
I hope Warsaw or another one of the gun-nuts around here sees it sometime to confirm if my views in the gun-play were correct. I sure hope I wasn't just assuming it was all good because cleavage.

Donut
April 3rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
well, g4 had an inside special on this movie. they apparently trained with military people and worked with actual weapons, so i would assume the gunplay is more or less realistic. i didnt see the movie though.

although, the clips they showed from the movie looked absolutely ridiculous, and not in the good way i like.

MXC
April 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Honestly I don't see what's so attractive about the girls in the movie. Maybe it's because I'm not attracted to piles and piles of makeup on a dollface with little emotion, but eh.

PlasbianX
April 3rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
My cons with the movie. Putting it in spoiler tags to not ruin anything.
-What the fuck, why didnt you show baby doll dancing. I wanted to see what was so amazing about it
-Why the fuck was this movie about show girls? I thought it was a fucking action movie
-Why the fuck did the movie do a 180 from baby doll and be all like "OH HAI, THIS MOVIE AINT ABOUT THE BLOND CHICK, ITS ABOUT THE OTHER GIRL!! DERP DERPPPPP!!
-Vanessa Hudgins!? What the shit.

I was not impressed.

Amit
April 3rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
I went to see it just for the WWI scene and that made less sense than Alice in Wonderland!

Cortexian
April 4th, 2011, 01:52 AM
My cons with the movie. Putting it in spoiler tags to not ruin anything.
-What the fuck, why didnt you show baby doll dancing. I wanted to see what was so amazing about it
-Why the fuck was this movie about show girls? I thought it was a fucking action movie
-Why the fuck did the movie do a 180 from baby doll and be all like "OH HAI, THIS MOVIE AINT ABOUT THE BLOND CHICK, ITS ABOUT THE OTHER GIRL!! DERP DERPPPPP!!
-Vanessa Hudgins!? What the shit.

I was not impressed.
• Yeah, I wanted to see her dancing as well but you know. v0v
• As far as I can tell it wasn't really about show girls? Notice how when she first goes into the mental hospital in the beginning it's only "normal" until they get into the theater and a bit after. Then everything changes to the more sinister mental institution run by a pimp who makes them dance and otherwise "entertain" all his big spenders. I think that second "show girls" reality was supposed to try and show the way she was coping with her stay there. Then there's the third level of inception, er, psychosis which is the action-fuck-shit-up world with minigun wielding samurai. At the end of the movie it returns to the "normal" reality where she gets lobotomized.
• They were both blond hth~ I see what you mean though, ending wasn't even an ending it was just like a wtf.

Bodzilla
April 4th, 2011, 06:36 AM
we need samurais.

"dont forget the hot chicks"

Jimbo's right on this one guys, we need hot chicks, and guns.

"YEAH"

You said it jimbo.

"what about Robots?"

Fuck your switched on Jimbo, what about blimps, and explosions and Dragons?

"this is gunna be the coolest shit ever"

You said it jimbo. i just hope it can hold up to the legendary Last Airbender in terms of quality.

Cortexian
April 4th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I never saw Last Airbender, were there hot chicks in it? If not Sucker Punch has my vote.

sleepy1212
April 4th, 2011, 07:29 AM
there were no hot chicks in The Last Airbender and it was a movie geared toward that awkward age group where neither kids nor adults can enjoy it. it hurt to watch. If Sucker Punch was rated R i'd watch it in a heartbeat.

Kornman00
April 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM
<stuff>

<more stuff>

"this is gunna be the coolest shit ever"

You said it jimbo. i just hope it can hold up to the legendary Last Airbender in terms of quality.
Sounds like the movie equivalent making of Dewey Cox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_Hard:_The_Dewey_Cox_Story)'s masterpiece song.

If Sucker Punch was rated R i'd watch it in a heartbeat.
A single F bomb tends to do that, fucking retarded media ratings system.

Warsaw
April 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I hope Warsaw or another one of the gun-nuts around here sees it sometime to confirm if my views in the gun-play were correct. I sure hope I wasn't just assuming it was all good because cleavage.

I honestly have no intention of seeing it. If one of my friends wants to see it and will pay to drag me along, fine. But the as far as brainless action flicks go, Battle L.A. was definitely a much better choice. Saw it. Enjoyed it for what it was. Sucker Punch? Pass. Only redeeming thing about that movie is the WWI-ish theme.

sleepy1212
April 5th, 2011, 07:28 AM
A single F bomb tends to do that, fucking retarded media ratings system.

wrong F Korn :pervert:

Warsaw
April 5th, 2011, 01:17 PM
there were no hot chicks in The Last Airbender and it was a movie geared toward that awkward age group where neither kids nor adults can enjoy it. it hurt to watch. If Sucker Punch was rated R i'd watch it in a heartbeat.

It was a terrible contortion of what was a great cartoon.

Limited
April 5th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Heard about this movie ages ago, seems like it might be worth a DVD rental, definitely not cinema worthy though. Limitless, now THATS cinema worthy.

Even from the trailer, story does seem like it lacks any real deep story, "go collect some shit" with the side story being "oh we need to break out of some place!"

Does the name, Sucker Punch actually have ANY relevance to the content of the film?

sleepy1212
April 5th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Limitless was pretty good although I'm not sure it was worth my ticket but definitely worth a Netflix queue.

I was hoping it would go a little further, like a sci-fi title where he runs the world with his super-brain

Amit
April 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Does the name, Sucker Punch actually have ANY relevance to the content of the film?

There is a lot of punching. I guess you can call it sucker punching in the WWI scene. The special effects are ridiculous in IMAX, but the $17 ticket really was a waste.

ChemicalFizz
April 6th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Battle LA? Good? That was the first movie I ever saw where I actually cringed at bad dialogue. Usually if it's bad enough, I just ignore it and let it pass and continue on with the movie. This one, the dialogue was so bad and obnoxiously long that I just couldn't ignore it. I agree with Roger Ebert's review of the movie: A good action flick is coherent and exciting without having random explosions everywhere and not explaining exactly what happens, exactly when, and for what reason. Only scenes I liked were with Aaron Eckhart, and he was forced to go through some of that "HE WAS THE BEST MARINE I EVER SERVED WITH" herp derps. You'd have to suspend belief to think that out of the blue the marines gain some sudden "morale" and make it so that their M4's take care of the aliens, piece of cake. Right... I admire the corps but that movie puts them in a bad light... Shameless promotion; makes you wonder if they received funding from the Department of the USMC? lol

Amit
April 6th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Battle LA? Good? That was the first movie I ever saw where I actually cringed at bad dialogue. Usually if it's bad enough, I just ignore it and let it pass and continue on with the movie. This one, the dialogue was so bad and obnoxiously long that I just couldn't ignore it. I agree with Roger Ebert's review of the movie: A good action flick is coherent and exciting without having random explosions everywhere and not explaining exactly what happens, exactly when, and for what reason. Only scenes I liked were with Aaron Eckhart, and he was forced to go through some of that "HE WAS THE BEST MARINE I EVER SERVED WITH" herp derps. You'd have to suspend belief to think that out of the blue the marines gain some sudden "morale" and make it so that their M4's take care of the aliens, piece of cake. Right... I admire the corps but that movie puts them in a bad light... Shameless promotion; makes you wonder if they received funding from the Department of the USMC? lol

Wrong thread.

ChemicalFizz
April 6th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Responding to Warsaw.

Warsaw
April 7th, 2011, 01:33 AM
The M4's didn't all of a sudden get powerful; they were effective through the entire movie. I saw the movie to watch us kick some alien ass. Sucker Punch doesn't even grant me that, it's just...a nothing.

Kalub
April 7th, 2011, 09:05 AM
THE BITCH DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO DANCE ALL SHE DID WAS SHUFFLE BACK AND FORTH THE EXACT SAME WAY EVERY FUCKING TIME <:mad:>

I kept waiting to see a hawt dance scene.... IT NEVER CAME :gonk:

PlasbianX
April 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM
THE BITCH DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO DANCE ALL SHE DID WAS SHUFFLE BACK AND FORTH THE EXACT SAME WAY EVERY FUCKING TIME <:mad:>

I kept waiting to see a hawt dance scene.... IT NEVER CAME :gonk:

EXACTLY. Even though I would of felt bad cause she looked so freaking young. D:

Cortexian
April 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah, as long as they state that the 16 year old is 20 it makes it all okay.

This reminds me more and more of a live-action anime. I mean, her outfit in the fantasy world was basically a short-skirt school girl outfit.

sleepy1212
April 7th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I mean, her outfit in the fantasy world was basically a short-skirt school girl outfit.

I thought this thread was about the bad points of the the movie?

Amit
April 7th, 2011, 05:38 PM
EXACTLY. Even though I would of felt bad cause she looked so freaking young. D:

She looks young, but Emily Browning is 22 in real life. ROFL! They dumbed her age down...

WaeV
April 7th, 2011, 06:16 PM
If you've seen this, share your opinions please! I'd love to hear what the rest of you thought about this questionable movie and it's story...

Maybe it was just the group I saw the movie with, but I rather enjoyed it, and before I started seeing all these negative comments surrounding it, I would have rated it in the same class as Watchmen and V for Vendetta. I'd feel a little too self-conscious making such a claim now, but it still felt like that type of movie. (V for Vendetta still takes the cake, though, haha.)

I understood the over-the-topness of it all to be a sort of subversion of B-grade action movies (like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysbbPStfWw)) and anime fight scenes. Yes, it's ridiculous, but the effects are pretty and the end result is entertaining.

Escape is a pretty common theme, but also the subjectiveness of reality. At the earliest level, Babydoll wants to escape from the mental institution. But she also escapes from the harshness of that reality by reimagining her setting as a brothel, where most of the movie takes place.

The ridiculous cutscenes that happen when Babydoll dances represent the girls' struggle to get the items they need.

Honestly, which would be more entertaining - watching the same type of scene four times over as the girls try to get the items, or watching ridiculous fight scenes involving a giant stone samurai with a chaingun, steampunk nazi zombies, and a fire-breating dragon?

The dances are better left to the viewer's imagination - there's no way they could have pulled off "the best dance ever", so they appealed to the themes of escape and imagination.

The ending was pretty good, too. The main, earliest goal presented in the movie was for Babydoll to escape. The entire movie is about her escaping. And yet at the end, she decides that the best plan is to distract the high-roller so that Sweet Pea can escape. But this doesn't mean that she lost!

Though Babydoll came in alone and scared, she bonded with the girls who shared her prison. By managing to have Sweet Pea escape, really all the girls escaped through her. What's better - everyone stays locked up, or all die to let one go free? That's an important question with regards to the end of the movie. Getting Blue Jones to go down as well was just a bonus.

The closing of the movie reiterates some of the points regarding freedom and escape. It dealt with a specific type of sacrifice which I would not regard as selflessness so much as... well I don't really know how to say it. Living through others? It's not a concept which gets discussed all that often.

The ending actually reminded me of the book Children of the Mind in the Ender's Game series.
The part where Ender, split three ways into Ender-the-original, Ender-Valentine, and Ender-Peter ultimately survive by sacrificing Ender-the-original and Ender-Valentine. One auia (~soul) wasn't enough to sustain all three, and Ender-Peter was deemed the best choice for survival, even though the original Ender and the fake Val "died".

Oh, and one more thing:
I thought Scott Glenn was pretty awesome, haha.

Amit
April 8th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Scott Glenn was the shit. He seems so old now. I thought he was Leonard Nimoy at first.

WaeV
April 8th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I know, right? So did I.

Corndogman
April 18th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I enjoyed it. You just have to take it at face value, and nothing more. Its intended to be an over the top, CGI'd to hell, B-movie. I didn't go in expecting a masterpiece, and I wasn't disappointed. I sorta liked the story/progression, it at least tried to be different and make you think. The art was awesome too. And I agree with WaeV, if you would have seen the dancing it would have ruined it.

Amit
April 19th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I liked the film.

Luzaphant
April 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Shes hot. I'm occupied.