PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 on Vista: We've got the new maps, features and achievements.

Atty
May 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Halo 2 is officially coming to Vista. It is shipping to retailers on May 22nd. I sit down with Jo Clowes from Hired Gun to talk about new features, new maps and what we can expect from Halo 2 on Vista. We bring you all the cool visuals. Jo talks to us about some of the achievements you can earn for both single player and multi-player. There's a flaming Ninja achievement you earn through multi-player where you kill three....oh, well you'll just have to watch the video to find out about that one. http://www.on10.net/Blogs/tina/halo-2-on-vista-weve-got-the-new-maps-features-and-achievements/

Nice new video. :)

Digikid
May 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM
what!?!?!?!?!?! They took OUT the cross platform play????? WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?????????????????? ???

:(

m13120
May 9th, 2007, 04:10 PM
They never had it.

Digikid
May 9th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I do not know about that. I have some friends working at MS saying that it did.

Strange.

Neuro Guro
May 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM
rofl... "Ninnjers.."

Digikid
May 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Well it turns out that he was talking about the LIVE service.....my bad.

Still....it would have been kicka$$

Neuro...get Mothergoat over here...NOW! :p

We needs UBER maps for H2V! :D

Sakievich
May 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
it's amazing that they can tell you exactly the same information over and over again in different press releases and videos.

DaneO'Roo
May 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Is it just me or in the cinematics, do things not move very smoothly? It looks like framerate problems or something

anyone else notice that there is real time self shadowing (or something) at work in the first custscene too? When you see the close up of the gold elite talking to the prophets, as he moves his head he casts a crisp shadow on himself. Therefore self shadowing is in the engine. I can frigin see it. I've also noticed it in other custscenes, but only when there wasn't much going on in the scene. Maybe its in there, and bungie only enabled it in minimal cutscenes, because xbox 1 couldn't handle it, most likely. All the cinematics are ingame graphics.

Where is that in the actual game? It would make the graphics OH SO MUCH BETTER. I thought vista would be able to handle that. Why don't they just turn that on, in all the campaign and multiplayer maps, an have it as a toggle switch in graphics settings, for lower end users who can't handle it?

Is it just so crazy of me to think, that Hired gun don't even know its there?

Well, heres hoping to be able to turn it on with a nice simple little toggle in Guerilla :)

Kornman00
May 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
You sure your media player was working ok? Everything seemed fine to me

GI JO, classic.

Kornman00
May 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Double post, sue me:

:lol:, poor Jo & Co! bungie nor GFW.com (http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Pages/Halo2forWindowsVista.aspx) have any links to their website (which I suppose shes referring to their blog?). They link to Ensemble Studios however...

Also, GFW says "Developer: Bungie Studios (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5786850)". No where does it mention HG's name :/

DaneO'Roo
May 9th, 2007, 05:11 PM
nah, self shadowing, its there, just look at every shot of the gold elite, his head is casting a shadow down around his neck and chest. It's exactly the same in xbox halo 2, you also see it in the scene where the arbitar gains his armour. But you don't see it anywhere else in the actual game. Plus I remember the halo 2 anouncement trailer, which was ingame graphics, which also had self shadowing.

Lightning
May 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Neuro...get Mothergoat over here...NOW! :p

We needs UBER maps for H2V! :D

And why do we need him to make uber maps? ;)

DaneO'Roo
May 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
^ tbh.

XCE is the place to be :)

Zeph
May 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Self shadowing was limited to certain parts of the game. they were pushing the console enough as it was.

Kornman00
May 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM
They explicitly let the game's balls hang out for the cinematic portions. Lots of special case stuff for it, too bad it couldn't be used 24/7 in-game on the xbox

Lightning
May 9th, 2007, 06:02 PM
^ tbh.

XCE is the place to be :)

<3333

DaneO'Roo
May 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
They explicitly let the game's balls hang out for the cinematic portions. Lots of special case stuff for it, too bad it couldn't be used 24/7 in-game on the xbox

Exactly, but this is Halo 2 Vista, surely, they can turn it on for us? I'm sure most Vista machines would be able to handle it...

I guess some Korners might have to try hacking it into the rest of the game and seeing what happens, eh?

Con
May 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM
rofl... "Ninnjers.."

lol, was gonna post that too

Syuusuke
May 9th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Flaming Ninjer...
Windows Vister...

Self shadowing or no, damn you May 22nd!

bleach
May 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM
:rolleyes: lol. Uhhh...the release dates should stay stable...like May 8th, and then they delay it too May 22nd, and then to June or July. yech. I think the video was ok.

Neuro Guro
May 9th, 2007, 07:01 PM
You know what? Today I found out that my Geology teacher, Mr. Sherrok , a very cool dude is hooking up with the other art teacher. Seems love can be found anywhere!

So guys, this might seem a little weird/offtopic, but the whole time I was watching this video I was thinking... "Do you think Nitro is going to try and hook up with Jo Clowes?"

XD

I'm not gonna lie.. If I knew a chick who was not bad looking and knew how to create and compile a cache file, build shaders ect. , I'd be all over that.

SnaFuBAR
May 9th, 2007, 07:09 PM
LIES. you'd just use her for compiles ;)

Neuro Guro
May 9th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Lightning has a cool G/f , she surfs ytmnd and 12chan and Lights told me she wanted to learn how to make maps.

m13120
May 9th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Sounds like an ideal chick, also neuro, also off topic, what is the point/story behind your avatar?

Neuro Guro
May 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Sounds like an ideal chick, also neuro, also off topic, what is the point/story behind your avatar?

Well, in a nutshell..:

He is a Homosexual African (American?), that sings a song called "What What (In the butt)" and the avatar is from the music video.

:v

m13120
May 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
._.

(just watched it):hump::pervert:

:suicide:

Digikid
May 9th, 2007, 08:03 PM
And why do we need him to make uber maps? ;)

We need the ULTIMATE maping team.

Lightning
Arteen
Nitro
Mothergoat
ejburke
Yoyorast

All the greats. :D

m13120
May 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM
You forgot Jahrain and Tiamat

SuperSunny
May 9th, 2007, 08:16 PM
It can't happen by random selection of good map makers. You need to combine individuals who are the best at certain aspects of the map making process.

Lightning
May 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM
We need the ULTIMATE maping team.

Lightning
Neuro
Sakie
Polar
L33T
Zex
Dano
Wave of Lag
Ghost
Madworkz

And random stuff from ejburke and Arteen.

All the greats. :D

*chuckles slightly*

Fixed that for you. ;)

And yes, my Aerowyn rocks. =3

halofreak4567
May 9th, 2007, 08:31 PM
*Sigh*

If only Mrs.Doublefire still made maps for the community. I'm sure he is an insane modeler. BTW, I am surprised SuperTaco never came back. He left a very long time ago, so many of you might not remember him.

Snaver
May 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
'Are we going to see a direct port from the 360?'
Reporter -Sooooooo when are we going to get it?
Silly Hired Gun PR person - Soon!
Reporter - Well thanks for almost shipping it on time! Well done

Silly reporters..

Anyway.. I'm liking what i'm hearing about the changes to the map file, sounds like they're going to make custom maps (retail too mb?) smaller which would make sense as they are going to be distributed from servers this time. (plus from the web too..)

Zeph
May 9th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I'm guessing the new cache file system will have the classic tagset globalized into its own cache file. New content will purely compose the custom ".map"s. If Hired Gun was smart, they would allow the creation of new globalized caches that custom ".map"s can call on. That would greatly reduce the size of custom mods that use the same custom content across multiple scenarios.

Digikid
May 9th, 2007, 09:14 PM
*Sigh*

If only Mrs.Doublefire still made maps for the community. I'm sure he is an insane modeler. BTW, I am surprised Supreme_Taco never came back. He left a very long time ago, so many of you might not remember him.

Name Fixed.

I think that we killed his Goldfish. LMAO!!!!!!!!

Nitro was removed from my list....why? he is pretty good.

Yes I missed a few ppl....sorry about that.

jcap
May 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM
He's working at Bungie now.

Lightning
May 9th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Name Fixed.

It wasn't because of that.... ;)

Namely, that's a completely different list. Some here know what I speak of.

halofreak4567
May 9th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Name Fixed.

Wow, I feel like a tard. Thanks for the fix. I even helped him distribute things once. That was long ago in the NM beta.

xExus
May 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Im confused.

"Will there be a ability where I can play on my 360 against somebody whos playing on their PC?"
"In Halo, no."

Then 1 minute later she talks about that you CAN. Can someone please clear up things to me??

Kornman00
May 10th, 2007, 11:47 AM
YOU CAN ONLY PLAY AGAINST OTHER PC GAMERS.

She only talked about why they DON'T support crossplatform gaming...

xExus
May 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM
OKAY THANK YOU : D

lol

Zeph
May 10th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Can != will.