PDA

View Full Version : is there anyway too..

paladin
April 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM
export rendered geometry and collision geometry separately?

Rainbow Dash
April 30th, 2011, 02:13 PM
is there anyway you could make that question more ambiguous

paladin
April 30th, 2011, 02:45 PM
its a pretty straight forward question if you know anything about modding CE

BobtheGreatII
April 30th, 2011, 02:48 PM
For what?

I know that like, some vehicles I first made had detailed render geometry, but would be made of boxes for collision. So what are you trying to do this for?

paladin
April 30th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Same idea, only for a map. Its hard to explain without showing,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hcd4Wjdzq5A/TJFB3Vl8MZI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/-iZyY6h3sxg/s1600/30.jpg

EX. its pointless to render this as collision. Theres way too many polys where as the basic primitive shape would do.

thehoodedsmack
April 30th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I thought you could just export the map twice, under a different name or something, and then just paste the one you want to use into the right folder, link it in the tags, voila. I could be wrong, though.

Rainbow Dash
April 30th, 2011, 03:24 PM
its a pretty straight forward question if you know anything about modding CE

Funny, since the guy after this post had to ask what you meant too.

And no, additionally why would you want to? Halo's ability to process level stuff properly, lightmaps, portalling, shit like that requires that the world's visual geometry conform to the sealed world rules. You would be totally undermining this by having a separate collision mesh for levels.

BobtheGreatII
April 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I thought you could just export the map twice, under a different name or something, and then just paste the one you want to use into the right folder, link it in the tags, voila. I could be wrong, though.

I would try this first.

Either that or I would suggest trying to make that a piece of scenery instead of a part of the BSP. Just an idea though.

Kornman00
April 30th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Umm, just make it render only then have an invisible shape around it for collision?

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
April 30th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I'd set the whatever-it-is-you-want-to-have-simpler-collision thing to render only and make the collision you want and set it's material to collision only. I might be wrong, though.

EDIT: Ninja'd

paladin
May 1st, 2011, 02:22 AM
Funny, since the guy after this post had to ask what you meant too.

And no, additionally why would you want to? Halo's ability to process level stuff properly, lightmaps, portalling, shit like that requires that the world's visual geometry conform to the sealed world rules. You would be totally undermining this by having a separate collision mesh for levels.

I dont normally go after new people, but im going to write you off as a complete idiot. Leave, before you make yourself look even more like a fool.

Donut
May 1st, 2011, 02:37 AM
what. paladin, NVOUS is selentic, and hes right. theres a reason the map has to be sealed. you can still get the effect youre trying to achieve if you do what kornman said. just model the part you want to be collidable into the rest of the map, and set those polygon's materials to be collision only. then add the other polygons with the render only material.

iirc, only meshes used for collision have to be sealed, so those render only polygons can be free-floating.

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
May 1st, 2011, 06:11 AM
If you want to know how:

Duplicate the materials which you want to be render only, and add a ! flag at the end of the names to set it to render only, make sure you set the material IDs on the surfaces.
Name the collision only material +unused@ (I'm unsure about the difference between @ - collision property and * - large collideable property, I guess some more experienced members might clarify this a bit), do something to the render only object so you can't do anything to it (maybe hide it?) and model the collision.

Rainbow Dash
May 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM
I dont normally go after new people, but im going to write you off as a complete idiot. Leave, before you make yourself look even more like a fool.

I'm an idiot who has a far greater understanding of halo's engine than you do, so what does that make you in this regard?

crimsonshadow117
May 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
What about using a glass material # or %?

Higuy
May 1st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Umm, just make it render only then have an invisible shape around it for collision?

This ^^^

paladin
May 1st, 2011, 11:57 PM
I'm an idiot who has a far greater understanding of halo's engine than you do, so what does that make you in this regard?

this doesn't even deserve a response.

For the rest of you, works well with just using !

Rainbow Dash
May 2nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
lmfao

malolo420
May 4th, 2011, 11:17 PM
No need to be goofing it up around here buddy.

Kornman00
May 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Never mind him, it's in his blood. He was born a goof.

=sw=warlord
May 6th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Would it not be better to just use a plane with the ladder shader that's clear so you avoid it all?