PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Questions I'm Too Lazy to Search For

BobtheGreatII
May 17th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I'm working on a map obviously. It's for the competition I'm holding... unfortunately I've run in to a bit of a snag and frankly I can't find a definite answer on some of my questions.

1: What is a good range for a tri limit in a Halo map?

2: Why in the hell aren't my portals working? GAHHHH. Does anyone have a good tutorial or some tricks to get portals to close off properly?

3: One of my textures in 3ds max is coming out as a completely different texture in Halo... I've set up a shader and everything, and have all my other stuff working, just this one is being different and not looking at the shader I set up... Little lost.

I'm a little rusty on making Halo maps, so go easy on me.

.Wolf™
May 17th, 2011, 11:26 PM
1.20 k tris I believe. However you could probably aim above that.Way above that.
2.Never seen a tutorial for portals. In fact that is probably the one tutorial no one has made 50 different versions of.
3.Check the materials name in 3ds max. Make sure it is the same name. If it is that "metal stripes 1" I think name should be "metal stripes a". Or vise versa.

Patrickssj6
May 18th, 2011, 03:53 PM
2:HEK Tutorial?
3:Make sure there is not .bitmap tag in the tags folder with the same name.

paladin
May 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM
1.20 k tris

lol

Way above that.

yes

QPQ was 120k.

it depends on how you model and distribute polys. Collision will eat up your poly budget

Arteen
May 18th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I had a map with ~80,000 tris, but any higher and it wouldn't compile. No reasonable map should ever come close to that much. I tended to shoot for <10,000, but most of my maps are simple, anyway.

BobtheGreatII
May 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Well my major problem is that it's culling weird stuff. Tried portals. They helped a bit. But I think I need to keep working on lowering the poly count or something.

Edit: Also the rename it's to Metal Strips A fixed it. Thanks.

paladin
May 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Is your bsp a single object?

BobtheGreatII
May 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Uhm. The main BSP is... the lights, water, waterfalls and glass aren't. Those are all attached to each other... so I have like five different objects linked to the frame. Is that bad?

chrisk123999
May 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM
That shouldn't effect anything.

paladin
May 19th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Only if you have multiple objects clipping that are creating collision. what you listed should and should give you any problems.