PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean 4 - On Stranger Tides

Cortexian
May 21st, 2011, 04:33 AM
ErsA8WaesRE

Saw this today with a friend and I highly recommend going to watch it. This is by far the best one since the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, it's not convoluted but pure character-driven awesomeness. Depp himself said something similar in an interview apparently, the second and third movies pail in comparison to this one. The re-done soundtrack for this movie is also much better than the second and third films in my opinion.

This really "brought me back" to the Pirates craze, it's almost like the second and third movies were just filler. I was skeptical of this movie because of the lack of Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley but it didn't need them, at all.

All in all a great success.

If you go and see it stay until the white-on-black credits finish rolling. ;)

thehoodedsmack
May 21st, 2011, 06:25 AM
I had assumed that without being a traditional sequel like the second and third movies were, this movie would be better than the last two. I haven't gone to see it yet, but so far I've been told that it's incredibly cliched, dumb, and all-around a bad movie. We'll have to see...

Cortexian
May 21st, 2011, 07:08 AM
so far I've been told that it's incredibly cliched, dumb, and all-around a bad movie.
Whoever told you that is seriously horrible, without question this is the best in the series since the first movie.

Sounds to me like whoever you're listening to went in expecting something other than a very cliched Captain Jack Sparrow. The characters personalities haven't changed and this was probably the funniest of the four movies as well.

thehoodedsmack
May 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM
I'm always skeptical when they try to take a character like Sparrow and give them their own film. Like I said, though, I imagined this would be a good film, so hopefully the negative hype I've been hearing is unfounded. It's mostly been from professional critics, and on that level, I'm pretty sure it will be a disaster, but from a layman's entertainment standpoint I'm sure it's exciting enough to watch.

Timo
May 21st, 2011, 09:49 PM
A group of mates went and saw this on release, said it was average compared to the other movies :\

Dwood
May 21st, 2011, 10:58 PM
Saw it last night. don't recommend not seeing it, because it DOES have its moments, but there are times where they took the Jack Sparrow character a little too far. The beginning part in the king's(?) presence was really exaggerated, and imo, overdone. The writers didn't do a very good job of pulling the plot lines of several characters together, and what happened at the end was very cliche. Him blowing up the tower was also very cliche.

I was hoping it would be a pirates in lieu of #1's kind of cool but it's closer to #3. In terms of movies, it's 'average' but that's because they're trying to squeeze too much out of the franchise. Kind of like what's happened with Cars.

That said, it's a respectable attempt at being the first or even second pirates movie.

That said, it's still a fun movie to go kill time.

Kornman00
May 21st, 2011, 11:07 PM
GI6CfKcMhjY

Cortexian
May 22nd, 2011, 02:36 AM
Oh Lonely Island, you really do complete me...