PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes

Bodzilla
May 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
I hear america's getting smashed by tornado's at the moment, are you guys alright and what are yas doing to help?

TVTyrant
May 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah the Midwest always gets hit, but they have had a bad stretch the last few weeks. I'll probably be giving blood tomorrow. Its like 1000 miles away and I have no money so there isn't much I can do other than that.

Bodzilla
May 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Good stuff nice to see your trying

DarkHalo003
May 23rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
You should have been in the Midwest near Arkansas to the Southeast here at Georgia. Pretty scary stuff, especially if you were in Tennessee and Alabama. Tuscaloosa was ravaged badly and one town in Georgia was wiped off the map.

TVTyrant
May 23rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
There was a really bad one in Missouri yesterday or today that was the worst in 50 years.

TeeKup
May 23rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
There was a really bad one at the time of the royal wedding. I heard it killed some 200 people.

Amit
May 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
200? And I thought the Joplin Tornado that killed 89 people yesterday was ridiculous.

Warsaw
May 24th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Yeah the Midwest always gets hit, but they have had a bad stretch the last few weeks. I'll probably be giving blood tomorrow. Its like 1000 miles away and I have no money so there isn't much I can do other than that.

I don't weigh enough to give blood. :saddowns:

Also, the one that killed a bunch was in Alabama. Historically, Alabama is not a tornado state. Tornado Alley has been shifting east over the past few decades.

sleepy1212
May 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM
that will be scary once it starts clashing with hurricane territory.

Dwood
May 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM
that will be scary once it starts clashing with hurricane territory.

Tornadocane

king_nothing_
May 24th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Joplin, Missouri got hit really bad two nights ago. I live like ~180 miles from there. Last I heard, the death count was up to 117.

Amit
May 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Tornadocane

You know, it's possible for a Hurricane to spawn tornadoes. Usually in the rainbands and not near the eye.

sleepy1212
May 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM
They almost always do from the main band. Lots of water spouts when I lived on the gulf coast.

TVTyrant
May 24th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Tornadocane
Shits fo real Dogg.

Also: We actually talked about this in one of my classes today. Science says 90% of all the world's Tornado's happen in the Mid-West.

Warsaw
May 24th, 2011, 04:55 PM
They do. It's almost like America's unique weather pattern, but it's not 100% unique. But, that "Mid-West" will be in Canada in 100 years according to an article in Scientific American I read a few years back. Also a bit more east.

TVTyrant
May 24th, 2011, 11:33 PM
...How? The reason tornado alley works the way it does is because of the mountain ranges. The wind goes south from the arctic and into the gap between the Rockies and Appalachian mountains. Then they bounce off the Ozarks and Blues which is what causes the unique weather patterns. Unless its a jet stream thing it wouldn't make any sense. Although with climate change and all the jet stream could be changing its pattern.

Warsaw
May 24th, 2011, 11:37 PM
It is a jet stream thing.

Corndogman
May 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM
...How?

Canada is going to invade :tinfoil:

Normally i'd say who gives a damn, its their fault for living in a place called "tornado alley", but its definitely interesting that it seems to be moving east. Makes me a tad nervous about hurricane season here in FL. Normally we don't take it seriously, but I feel like shit could go down this year... idk.

Rainbow Dash
May 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
http://wonkette.com/446454/after-terrible-tornadoes-eric-cantor-wont-allow-fed-disaster-relief

This is appalling.

TVTyrant
May 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM
http://wonkette.com/446454/after-terrible-tornadoes-eric-cantor-wont-allow-fed-disaster-relief

This is appalling.
Oh America

Warsaw
May 26th, 2011, 04:27 AM
What the fuck...

When politics starts putting itself ahead of the immediate well-being of people...that is completely atrocious.

DarkHalo003
May 26th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Canada is going to invade :tinfoil:

Normally i'd say who gives a damn, its their fault for living in a place called "tornado alley", but its definitely interesting that it seems to be moving east. Makes me a tad nervous about hurricane season here in FL. Normally we don't take it seriously, but I feel like shit could go down this year... idk.
Tornadoes and Hurricanes have little to do with each other in terms of their seasons and they are not correlated to causation with each other. In other words, just because tornado weather changes does not mean Hurricane weather will.

Tornadoes are more spontaneous; they occur when a cool system and warm system intersect. They can form through just a thunderstorm that accumulated during a 90 degree day which happens to cool it all down to a 68 degree day, or they can form through a supercell being carried/driven by a front/Low Pressure System. They can form outside their declared season of Spring.

Hurricanes form purely from the systems in the sea, usually systems below the Equator. They are completely restricted to their season, which is Fall.

What the fuck...

When politics starts putting itself ahead of the immediate well-being of people...that is completely atrocious.
This may sound crass, but this reminds me of Hurricane Katrina. I hate politics and selfish people.

=sw=warlord
May 26th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Fox News: Are outrageous Teacher salaries the reason for lack of funds for Missouri?

:ohdear:

Limited
May 26th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Is that actually what they said Warlord?

Sympathies go out to the American people. Cant believe that idiot is withhelding funds, just to levy his own mandate.

Warsaw
May 26th, 2011, 03:29 PM
@DarkHalo: Katrina was more about a genuinely incompetent response, as far as I know. That is more forgivable. This is just...I can't even find the words. He is not going to win re-election, I hope.

n00b1n8R
May 26th, 2011, 06:44 PM
What's up with your building codes US? We had a fuckoff huge cyclone earlier this year and I think only one guy died (by sitting in his bathroom with his generator running until he died of asphyxiation :lol:)

TVTyrant
May 26th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Lots of houses in the MidWest and South are ancient.

TeeKup
May 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM
The majority of our infrastructure is ancient....

Rainbow Dash
May 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Lots of houses in the MidWest and South are ancient.

Funny, you'd think they'd rebuild them with new ones when they get knocked down

by tornadoes

every year.

Dwood
May 26th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Whelp when you guys get 90% of the world's 'nadoes of damaging power and size let's talk.

Dwood
May 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM

This is appalling.

ps guys it's WONKETTE

DarkHalo003
May 26th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Whelp when you guys get 90% of the world's 'nadoes of damaging power and size let's talk.
This. It's tough to keep a fort reinforced when its hit by cannonballs every five seconds at the same spots. Just saying.

Also, Tornadoes are a different beast than Cyclones/Hurricanes. They're spontaneous and destructive, whereas a hurricane can be warned full-well in advance.

Rainbow Dash
May 26th, 2011, 08:19 PM
ps guys it's WONKETTE

Which is arguably the best news source ever?

here

more supporting articles.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Eric%20Cantor%20&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kvR&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&channel=np&source=hp&q=Eric+Cantor+tornado&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=466831a8afa7429&biw=1280&bih=897

TVTyrant
May 26th, 2011, 10:17 PM
This. It's tough to keep a fort reinforced when its hit by cannonballs every five seconds at the same spots. Just saying.

Also, Tornadoes are a different beast than Cyclones/Hurricanes. They're spontaneous and destructive, whereas a hurricane can be warned full-well in advance.
Thank you. Its not like the weather man says "Here comes a tornado!" People in the midwest look outside, a huge fucking funnel cloud is forming, so they hide in their basements.

Corndogman
May 26th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Tornadoes and Hurricanes have little to do with each other in terms of their seasons and they are not correlated to causation with each other. In other words, just because tornado weather changes does not mean Hurricane weather will.

Yeah, I know its not the same, jus' sayin'. But still, the increase in tornadoes probably has something to do with global warming, which definitely affects on hurricanes.

TVTyrant
May 26th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I know its not the same, jus' sayin'. But still, the increase in tornadoes probably has something to do with global warming, which definitely affects on hurricanes.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing. In fact that's why they have hit areas like Alabama which is way East of Missouri/Kansas, the areas most often hit in the past.

sleepy1212
May 27th, 2011, 07:49 AM
increase in tornadoes probably has something to do with global warming

One glitch season doesn't say anything about the long term trends involved in GW. That's why the fuss over Katrina was bogus in the same respect.

Rainbow Dash
May 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM
CLIMATE CHANGE IS LIBERAL PROPAGANDA GUYS

DarkHalo003
May 27th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Not to mention we've had a generally calm hurricane season for a few years. Global Warming itself is a myth; climate change and global trending isn't. Not to mention, it's been worst in the past. I agree with Sleepy here; though one season may be especially rough, that doesn't mean the Earth is changing necessarily. It just means conditions met well for the storm systems to be this strong. As long as the South doesn't experience intense snowing in June, July, August, and September, or stops having cold weather during the Winter (just look at this past Winter), then the Earth is doing pretty normal.

Rainbow Dash
May 27th, 2011, 08:15 AM
CLIMATE CHANGE IS LIBERAL PROPAGANDA GUYS

:downs:

Bodzilla
May 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM
i dont think you can chalk this up to GW, if it becomes a long term trend and they eliminate other theory's then yeah,
bit early for that though.

cheezdue
May 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Thank you. Its not like the weather man says "Here comes a tornado!" People in the midwest look outside, a huge fucking funnel cloud is forming, so they hide in their basements.

I know what you mean .Whenever theres a chance of a tornado here in Dallas, a small banner on a tv gets broadcast saying where to watch for a tornado. Sometimes the sirens come one to.

Rainbow Dash
May 27th, 2011, 03:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au5bMr4ISY0&feature=feedu

:s

Warsaw
May 28th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I know what you mean .Whenever theres a chance of a tornado here in Dallas, a small banner on a tv gets broadcast saying where to watch for a tornado. Sometimes the sirens come one to.

We're starting to get tornado warnings more and more often here in VA, too. Never had tornadoes at all until 2004, and then we hadn't had one since until a year ago. I've had no less than four this year.

Limited
May 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM
ATTN
Who has seen Rob (Oplawar) recently? Hes usually always on aim messaging me. Last time I saw him was 18th.

I know that he lives in Boulder Colorado, I've heard that Colorado had tornado warnings but I'm not sure if any thing happened and whereabouts.

Hope hes okay.

=sw=warlord
May 29th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Funny, you'd think they'd rebuild them with new ones when they get knocked down

by tornadoes

every year.

you'd think they would build houses of something other than cardboard and match sticks as well but, apparently not.

Rainbow Dash
May 29th, 2011, 08:40 AM
ATTN
Who has seen Rob (Oplawar) recently? Hes usually always on aim messaging me. Last time I saw him was 18th.

I know that he lives in Boulder Colorado, I've heard that Colorado had tornado warnings but I'm not sure if any thing happened and whereabouts.

Hope hes okay.

Oh dear :[

Limited
May 29th, 2011, 09:58 AM
you'd think they would build houses of something other than cardboard and match sticks as well but, apparently not.
Tornadoes are more about the debris they flys around. Even concrete and brick houses cannot survive a F4 or 5 tornado. Wood is also more flexible than concrete. Living in a concrete house doesn't mean you will be safe. The main protection against a tornado is not the material it is made out of. Its a combination of that and how it was constructed.

Warlord, the tornado (and hurricane) alleys are HUGE areas of land.

The best protection is a basement, which is why the majority of houses within this area have a basement.

=sw=warlord
May 29th, 2011, 11:06 AM
The best protection is a basement, which is why the majority of houses within this area have a basement.

There are plenty of documentaries out there showcasing that a brick house has a better chance of surviving than a wooden one during F3 or lower.
The majority of tornadoes are F3 and lower, the basement is the best place but there are still many houses without basements, I saw one documentary showing that an elderly couple managed to survive in a bath because the bathroom was in the center of the house.

Limited
May 29th, 2011, 11:31 AM
There are plenty of documentaries out there showcasing that a brick house has a better chance of surviving than a wooden one during F3 or lower.
The majority of tornadoes are F3 and lower, the basement is the best place but there are still many houses without basements, I saw one documentary showing that an elderly couple managed to survive in a bath because the bathroom was in the center of the house.
No shit sherlock, its common sense about the brick.

Its cost effective and tradition to use wood. The first thing to go in a strong storm is the roof, it gets sucked off. This happens in both build types, and even if the brick walls are standing the expensive still very high.

It might also be climate based.

The best examples of wood homes in America are stronger than brick or concrete block, warlord.

Those who dont have basements have storm shelters, warlord.

Roostervier
May 29th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Usually where I live (Indiana) there are like 5 tornado warnings minimum each spring. After the spring though it usually settles down.

Dwood
May 29th, 2011, 09:25 PM
i dont think you can chalk this up to GW, if it becomes a long term trend and they eliminate other theory's then yeah,
bit early for that though.

Basically this. Also for those that don't know- Climate Change is the new GW because some people are trying to say that Global Warming through some whoop-dee effects of some currents or something can actually make the climate colder.

Personally I just want to be green because I don't want to be breathing fumes.

Bodzilla
May 29th, 2011, 10:34 PM
dont make me post a long winded statement and or video showing you how stupid that statement was dwood.

it was just wrong alright and we've been down this road before. The guys that tell you that kinda stuff have been proven wrong again and again so yeah....

TVTyrant
May 30th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Basically this. Also for those that don't know- Climate Change is the new GW because some people are trying to say that Global Warming through some whoop-dee effects of some currents or something can actually make the climate colder.

Personally I just want to be green because I don't want to be breathing fumes.
Its the "new global warming" because Science isn't a stagnant entity. It evolves. It moves forward.

Bodzilla
May 30th, 2011, 02:24 AM
theres no such thing as a new global warming you idiots, it's just a different use of terminology to describe different effects.
over all the planet IS warming, and as a result the climate we live in is changing because of it.

they've used both these terms for 50 years plus together in harmony.

it's a bit like saying Fuel and petroleum.

Bodzilla
May 30th, 2011, 02:29 AM
mqMunulJU7w
congratulations guys you've found the window into the new world orders climate change as a way to control the people

you've started on your path to enlightenment, dont read, dont understand or deviate from the path at all and you'll continue to be a great asett to voting.

TVTyrant
May 30th, 2011, 02:57 AM
theres no such thing as a new global warming you idiots, it's just a different use of terminology to describe different effects.
over all the planet IS warming, and as a result the climate we live in is changing because of it.

they've used both these terms for 50 years plus together in harmony.

it's a bit like saying Fuel and petroleum.
Didn't I like, just cover this?

Bodzilla
May 30th, 2011, 04:56 AM
it's not new. it's 50 years old, so it's not a new face on an old idea.

it is an old idea that goes hand in hand with the other.

Limited
May 30th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Also for those that don't know- Climate Change is the new GW because some people are trying to say that Global Warming through some whoop-dee effects of some currents or something can actually make the climate colder.
You really are an idiot.

Global warming and climate change are the same thing - when you say global warming you also mean climate change, when you say climate change you mean global warming.

A lot of morons see the word warming, and instantly think, "oh it must only mean its getting warm" - Incorrect.

Global warming means the average temperature of the earths surface is increasing. That change in climate is increasing the frequency of extreme weather, from searing heat to tornados, hurricanes and lots of rain. So they are directly related, climate change is just the more PC term because of the morons that don't understand the concept of global warming and how it can actually mean very cold weather.

On brighter news, Rob is alive and kicking!

(4:49:53 PM) ifoundabuck: ...
(4:49:57 PM) ifoundabuck: WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BĀ£EEN
(4:50:10 PM) ifoundabuck: i was worried sick
(4:50:12 PM) Rob Oplawar: gmail changed the way it integrates with AIM
(4:50:18 PM) Rob Oplawar: it doesn't sign me on to aim anymore

Amit
May 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM
WATCH OUT A TORNADO!