PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with texturing in 3ds Max 2012.

DarkHalo003
May 26th, 2011, 10:26 PM
So for being a college student I get 3ds Max 2012 free. It's a great program, but I'm having trouble simply texturing a polygon that I've highlighted. I can no longer just open up the material editor, use a standard material, put in the bitmap, then apply to the highlighted area followed by the UVW Map modifier. I even put both the highlighted poly and the material slot on the same map channel. Can anyone please help?

Dontu
May 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Make sure you uncheck the box labeled real world map size. That often produces this error. Or make sure the material is set to show in viewport.

DarkHalo003
May 27th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Make sure you uncheck the box labeled real world map size. That often produces this error. Or make sure the material is set to show in viewport.
That seemed to help, but I now have the issue of the material editor making my entire map the same material as my selected polygon and then when I change the material for another texture for other parts of the map it resets my recent polygon's material.

I remember back when 3ds 7, 8, and 9 were around. They weren't nearly so tedious and difficult. Is 2010 any better than this mess? 2012 is just way too complicated for me right now, especially considering the not-so-highly-leveled stuff I'm wanting to do (For example, Normals and using a Slate Material Editor).

Dontu
May 27th, 2011, 05:09 PM
2012 should be the same. I am using the same software and it doesn't produce the errors you are talking about. It might help if you switch to compact view for the material editor, and you are for sure using a multisub object material?

DarkHalo003
May 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM
2012 should be the same. I am using the same software and it doesn't produce the errors you are talking about. It might help if you switch to compact view for the material editor, and you are for sure using a multisub object material?
I was using Standard at first, but then started using multisub because that's where all of my troubleshooting leads pointed towards. Regardless, the selected face would not retain the texture after I tried texturing another face (as the program kept overwriting the materials every time I tried to apply a new texture) and I've really just given up using 2012 as of now. I've DLed 2010 and I believe it's more old-school if it's the 3ds Max I used before.