PDA

View Full Version : H2V UVWs incorrectly streched after GBX Model Upgrade

Resinball
May 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I've upgraded at least 100 models for use in Halo 2 Vista by using the GBX Model Upgrader:
http://h2v.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=2177

The app converts the GBX Models to the H2V .render_model format. Using it so much I know that it is crash-happy and must be used in the correct order to get optimal results.

Now occasionally I run Halo 3 models (I extracted and fixed) through it. Many of them come out fine, some require the apps built-in UVW fix. Other H3 weapon models such as the Missile Pod and the Battle Rifle come out with stretched UVWs such as the following pic:

http://www.monstrmoose.com/killsalone/Custom_Data_+_Tags/Data/objects/H3/weapons/Missile_Pod/bitmaps/etc/missile_pod_streched_UVW.jpg

I tried contacting the author of the GBX Model Upgrader (Jahrain) but never received any response.

So my question; does anyone have any idea how I could get around this issue, or what is causing it?

I know for a fact that the UVWs are retained if the model is part of the BSP or if it is used in HCE, the problem is happening during the upgrade process, I've tried rotating and flipping the texture to no avail...and that is when I noticed that the texture is being stretched incorrectly.

neuro
June 3rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
reset Xform

edit: 'no' to the question you're gong to ask, and google.

Resinball
June 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
I definitely tried that and there was no change in the UVWs. I also repaired the few remaining errors but the texture continues to fail, and recall I stated it does appear correctly in H2 Sapien (as part of the BSP) and it looks fine in HCE, the issue is with the GBX Model Upgrader, which I do not expect anyone to have much experience with. :(

We've got a nice BSP of Valhalla and I was hoping to get all the weapons together, have most of them besides this damn Missile Pod. I would map/mod in HCE but I prefer the H2V engine, just not its lack of awesome tools.

I had a tool called Poly Cruncher which may have helped, unfortunately its already expired.

I ran into the same issue with the H3 AR, luckily I was able to get one of the models to work (either FP or TP) so I just duplicated the one that was working and changed it accordingly. If I could just put my finger on what the Upgrader doesn't like about certain models, be it errors, too many polys or what not. I've tired many permutations, not the type to give up easily.

Thanks anyways.

neuro
June 4th, 2011, 01:23 AM
here's a nifty trick not many people know about, but often fixes 'weird' problems.

make a new box. just a regular box, nothing special about it.
convert to editable poly
hit attach
attach your existing object to the new box.

magic.

Garanas
July 4th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I have no idea if this is fixed or not, but incase it isn't:
At the .render_model file, at the top is "Compression information", add to the first 3 values -1 at the left, and 1 at the right. Then for the primairy texture co-ordinates add 0 to the left, and 2 to the right. This did fixed it for me once!
(I only really used the program once :p)

Resinball
July 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Upon further testing I have established that the problem is still with the Upgrader. Usually I import a .GBX_model or .OBJ into 3DS Max 8 and set it up for upgrading.

Halo 2 models usually come out right and if not can usually be UV Fixed in the upgrader.

Halo 1 models usually work as long as they originated from Halo 1's tagset.

Halo 1 models that are from other Halos (such as 3, ODST or Reach) are much trickier even though they look fine in Max and when put into Halo CE.

So I started upgrading the original (unmodified by myself) .GBX_models and still the error (bad UVWs) is there after upgrade. Thus the problem is not the model exactly, it is how the Upgrader handles them.

Vicky
July 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Game dead, have fun...

Garanas
July 5th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Can you maybe give me one of those models that don't work properly in the upgrader?
I'd like to have something to work on too!

Resinball
July 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Sure, here are a few retail H3 weapon models (hopefully you have 3DS Max 8).

DATA (http://www.monstrmoose.com/killsalone/Custom_Data_+_Tags/Data/objects/H3/%5bDATA%5d_H3_Weapons.exe)
28.1MBs compressed

TAGS (http://www.monstrmoose.com/killsalone/Custom_Data_+_Tags/Tags/objects/H3/%5bTAGS%5d_H3_Weapons.exe)
23.9MBs compressed

*7-Zip self extractor

The problematic models are the BR, Missile Pod and Spartan Laser. For the AR I had the problem with one model but was able to get the other to work (don't recall if it was the FP or TP) so I used that working model for both and changed the frames/markers as need be.

Garanas
July 6th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I've found it, look at the picture below:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7048/exppw.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/exppw.jpg/)

After I've had good results, I tried to replicate what you had, and I found that too.
In the upgrader there is an option called "UV Fix", what it does is multiplying the texture co-ordinates by 2, meaning, you get the results like you had. (stretched)
Without this option, it works splendid!

Now, I don't know the correct way to change things within the .render_model file for weapons. But I do have the .render_model of the fixed splazer(fp) here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?68di6bz19965td4

If you want me to do your other models too, then please ask!
I hope, this time, I did helped :D

Resinball
July 6th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Thats the crazy, thing is I tried with that UV Fix and without it and a million variations. So if you got it to work so easily it has to be something else wrong on my side. I have to use two computers as the Upgrader refuses to work on the one 32Bit Vista system and H2V refuses to work on 64-Bit Win7 so its extra hassle to make and test these .render_models. I'll take a look at what you posted.

Yeah you got it xD. Man I have many many more models I could use help with if you are willing, I appreciate the help, being able to finish these weapons would be awesome and help me finish a couple maps I'm working on; like I need that Missile Pod for Valhalla and Sandtrap.

EDIT: Actually I thought there was an issue but then I recalled this must be the FP model, thats why its missing the right side.

I'll add you to the H2MT Group (on MonstrMoose) so you have more thread access and we can discuss progress on there.

Garanas
July 6th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Ofcourse I'm willing, just send me the models you want to get converted.
In the mean while I will try to get the .render_models working for weapons too, instead of just scenery :P
(each time I load the weapon in sapien, it crashes :D)

edit: it is the Fp model, so that should be fine :)

Resinball
July 6th, 2011, 05:57 AM
I can show you how to get around that, study the H3 AR .render_model (in the tags I provided above) for example, now compare em to the original existing BR .render_model and you can see the fields I had to duplicate to make it mesh.

So I take a weapon and think, 'Okay, what existing animations will work well here?' Then I duplicate the frames and markers (as you no doubt saw).

After upgrading I use Cheat Engine to fix the markers and such in real time.

Now the scenery method you are using is a good time-saver for testing the .render_model first to see if the UVs are okay, just plop it into Sapien.

Making progress is awesome. These (bitchy) models were driving crazy to the point of giving up, but not quite.

For a more involved explanation I can show you over TeamSpeak or TeamViewer. You has a mic?

Garanas
July 6th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I do have a mic, but teamspeak doesn't support it, or something. I still need to buy a tiny piece of technologie that will make it get recognized as a micriophone :P

I will look at the H3_AR.render_model file closely, copy everything that I might thing of that is not correct, and then try it out. If it doesn't work after like 10 times, then I will come back here to ask your help for it ;)

All the models that you've given me, are those the models that you want to get into .render_model format?
Or are there more?

Resinball
July 6th, 2011, 08:38 AM
BTW, for the FP Splazer that you upgraded I based it on the Rocket animation (the H3 AR was just an example). Already have that Splazer in-game. Needs a few tweaks but that is to be expected.

There are many more models that I could not upgrade properly, but of that H3 batch all I need are the FP and TP models of the BR, Missile Pod and Splazer.

I have some pretty decent Reach weapon models that need attention. An AR and a DMR.

The frigate In Amber Clad so I can place it as scenery on Sandtrap V4 and possibly Outskirts or Metropolis.

And other weapons. I'll make a post about it tomorrow on MonstrMoose.

Garanas
July 7th, 2011, 02:38 AM
The FP missile pod doesn't have any markers / nodes, I suppose it is ment to have none?

Resinball
July 7th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I made a new thread about this topic here:

http://www.monstrmoose.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=4922

I'll post the updated Missile Pod (TP and FP) Max files there as well.