PDA

View Full Version : Dancing is Forbidden...in DC (Police Brutality)

Kornman00
May 30th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Article (http://www.politicalfailblog.com/2011/05/police-brutality-at-silent-flashmob-at.html).

Evidence:
8jUU3yCy3uI

Alt angle:
2PDhjNF9eUQ

Adam vs The Man (http://www.adamvstheman.com/).

TVTyrant
May 30th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Certainly not, but provoking the police is, which is certainly what they were trying to do and they succeeded in their actions.

Kornman00
May 30th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Was a reference to ATHF. Police brutality, on the other hand, was forbidden last I checked.

Amit
May 30th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Law enforcement in America is a joke. They arrest people for dancing. Ha. And Tyrant, it's not possible to provoke police officers into action by doing something within legal bounds. Well, it is possible to provoke them, but it is the cops who should be arrested for assaulting those people.

Adam and his crew were acting like idiots, yes, but nobody is allowed to lay a finger on them.

Kornman00
May 30th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah, that badge and their privilege as a "protector of the law" got to their heads in this case. There's no fucking excuse for those skin headed pigs. I hope someone dance's on their graves.

Amit
May 30th, 2011, 11:31 PM
They probably don't get enough action around that area so they went out to make their own. Uptight bastards. It sort of reminds me of this one asshole US border patrol dude that told me to "back the fuck up" when I was putting my suitcase through the scanner machine but moved around to the back to get it in easier, as the operator instructed me to. The bitch got his panties in a twist. At least the operator was nice and defended me. Maybe he was just on edge because a brown skinned guy was coming into the U.S. two days after Bin Laden got killed. That doesn't make him any less of an asshole, though. Guess what, his hair was shaved down even further than those cops in this video.

Kornman00
May 30th, 2011, 11:35 PM
It's a domino effect when you have a pack rolling together like these chums. Once one caves into that behavior, the rest fall like a knife through butter.

king_nothing_
May 30th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Certainly not
A court actually ruled that dancing is prohibited at the memorial.

It's pretty hilarious/sad that this happened at the Jefferson Memorial of all places; Jefferson was a champion of liberty. It's against the law to silently dance in a memorial dedicated to a champion of liberty. Amazing.

TVTyrant
May 30th, 2011, 11:38 PM
You people are ridiculous. Skinhead's? Really? Because they beat up some dumbasses? I agree that their actions were wrong, but come on. Calling this "police brutality" and ignoring the fact that these kids were being pretty aggressive and obviously INTENDED to start some kind of violent conflict with officers is so damn... Stupid. And cops are people just like all of us. They have a badge and are thus held to a higher standard, sure. But they have flaws and vices just like the rest of us.
I wear my hair short like that too. My best friend in my class was Dominique Mims, a black man. You are taking the hair thing waaayyyyy too seriously.

King: Because its disrespectful? I'm sure that if you danced on the Black stone of Meccha they would shoot your ass. Not saying you shouldn't have freedom of speech, but if your a cockdouche they should be able to kick you out.

Spartan094
May 30th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Dancing? Forbidden? In the US?

This isn't N. Korea, silly cops, didn't have your donuts today?

mech
May 30th, 2011, 11:53 PM
lol bad dancing warrants a beating, but they didn't get one, they got love taps. Now this is police brutality.
lol'd hard at the guy troll dancing as that dude was being apprehended.

0w-SP7iuM6k

king_nothing_
May 30th, 2011, 11:59 PM
You people are ridiculous. Skinhead's? Really? Because they beat up some dumbasses? I agree that their actions were wrong, but come on. Calling this "police brutality" and ignoring the fact that these kids were being pretty aggressive and obviously INTENDED to start some kind of violent conflict with officers is so damn... Stupid. And cops are people just like all of us. They have a badge and are thus held to a higher standard, sure. But they have flaws and vices just like the rest of us.
I wear my hair short like that too. My best friend in my class was Dominique Mims, a black man. You are taking the hair thing waaayyyyy too seriously.

King: Because its disrespectful? I'm sure that if you danced on the Black stone of Meccha they would shoot your ass. Not saying you shouldn't have freedom of speech, but if your a cockdouche they should be able to kick you out.
Do you not get it? They were there to peacefully protest a ridiculous, unjust law. They expected to get arrested. The "brutality", or whatever you want to call it, isn't even the main issue, it's just icing on the cake. They called attention to a ridiculous law, and quite successfully too; we're sitting here talking about it, as are many, many other people. Mission accomplished. They're going to go do it again next weekend, too.

Also, what exactly is "pretty aggressive" about silently dancing?

Bodzilla
May 31st, 2011, 12:00 AM
cops being cops.

whats new here.
the agency has been out to only protect itself for hundreds of years, and fund it's own exploits through fines.

king_nothing_
May 31st, 2011, 12:06 AM
Basically:

"One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law." - MLK

“One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.” - MLK

Kornman00
May 31st, 2011, 12:09 AM
I called them skin heads because they were acting like them with their physical abuse. The fact that they had shaved heads helped in my name calling.

I'll take any fucking event seriously where any mother fucker who is appointed the privilege to govern as an officer of the law and abuses that privilege. I'm starting to question if you actually watched both videos.

A court actually ruled that dancing is prohibited at the memorial.
Just wanted to bring these into the mix: the spark (http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2011/02/dancing-at-the-jefferson-memorial-prohibited-behavior.html), the flame (http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202494479656).

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 12:10 AM
Do you not get it? They were there to peacefully protest a ridiculous, unjust law. They expected to get arrested. The "brutality", or whatever you want to call it, isn't even the main issue, it's just icing on the cake. They called attention to a ridiculous law, and quite successfully too; we're sitting here talking about it, as are many, many other people. Mission accomplished. They're going to go do it again next weekend, too.

Also, what exactly is "pretty aggressive" about silently dancing?
They go to a memorial for a man who founded the US.
They dance on what is essentially his grave.
The police ask them to stop and say they do not want any trouble.
They pretty much say things intended to annoy the officers.

From 1:32 on I do not condone any of what happens. But prior to that point the police have done nothing wrong. As stated before, the people who were involved obviously intended to start some kind of action, and when the police submitted acted like they were innocent. I don't condone violence, and I don't think those people should have been harmed (despite what little those police did).
I do get what you mean. But the law is intended to be respectful to these men. Should it be a law? Probably not. Should people use discretion while they attend a MEMORIAL? Yeah definitely.

Jefferson was not the "father of liberty". The man owned slaves for God's sake.

Amit
May 31st, 2011, 12:22 AM
Everybody of importance had slaves back then. They inherited them from previous generations! Are you really so naive to think that he could afford to dismiss them all at one time? Think about it. You have to put a lot of work into legally freeing a single slave and prevented them from being put back into slavery by another person. You can't just send them on their way without some sort of civil protection. Not in those days.

king_nothing_
May 31st, 2011, 12:24 AM
They go to a memorial for a man who founded the US.
They dance on what is essentially his grave.
The police ask them to stop and say they do not want any trouble.
They pretty much say things intended to annoy the officers.
You're sorely mistaken if you think they were disrespecting Thomas Jefferson in any way shape or form. The law they were protesting is a disgrace to what Jefferson stood for. If he was alive today, do you seriously think he would be in favor of that law? Hell, he probably would have joined them in their dance party protest. Those cops and the judge that made the ruling are the only ones disrespecting Thomas Jefferson in this situation.

Jefferson was not the "father of liberty". The man owned slaves for God's sake. Nobody's perfect. He was still one of the greatest champions of liberty in the history of our nation. Go read his writings/speeches.

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 12:29 AM
Everybody of importance had slaves back then. They inherited them from previous generations! Are you really so naive to think that he could afford to dismiss them all at one time? Think about it. You have to put a lot of work into legally freeing a single slave and prevented them from being put back into slavery by another person. You can't just send them on their way without some sort of civil protection. Not in those days.
Lincoln was given slaves and he sent them back. Jefferson could have easily freed them. He was an insanely wealthy politician. He wasn't some rancher. As long as they left for the Massachusetts area or Rhode Island they would have been fine.
He also fathered dozens of children via his slaves, in what amounts to rape. Jefferson was NOT the champion of Liberty. If any man in American history deserves that title it would be Lincoln, despite being from a later generation.
Don't be so desperate to prove me "wrong" as to say the founding didn't have economic feasibility. The founding fathers were incredibly wealthy, and most were from New England. They CHOSE to possess slaves.

King: I actually agree. He just like all people had his vices. He was incredibly important to building the foundations of our government. But the father of Liberty he was not
I agreed it was a stupid law. But it is still disrespectful. They are dancing on the graves of our forefathers. Graveyards are mainly public places too and I bet they would not dance there. That's what I mean. I would hope the folks in the video had some other ideas before just going out and doing this. It lacks the imagination that Jefferson would have wanted for them to wear shirts with Punk messages and to shout stupid internet quotes at officers.

king_nothing_
May 31st, 2011, 12:45 AM
I agreed it was a stupid law. But it is still disrespectful.
Once again, just no. If anything, they are honoring Jefferson by protesting an unjust law that impedes liberty. The ridiculous law being enforced (at his memorial, no less) is the only dishonor here.

They are dancing on the graves of our forefathers.
No, they aren't.

Donut
May 31st, 2011, 12:53 AM
clicked on the thread for the ATHF. stayed for the police brutality.

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 12:58 AM
Donut I still miss you :(

=sw=warlord
May 31st, 2011, 02:22 AM
Police brutality?
Swat Brutality. (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/05/27/arizona.marine.death/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbwSwvUaRqc&feature=player_embedded
Parent's were arrested for child endangerment seconds after the swat comes in and shoots the family pets in front of said children.
:smith:

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 02:31 AM
SWAT brutality?
Sith brutality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkjEB63qSeQ&feature=related

EX12693
May 31st, 2011, 04:33 AM
SWAT brutality?
Sith brutality
.... dude. Thats just low....
-rep if I could.

Warsaw
May 31st, 2011, 04:59 AM
Lincoln was given slaves and he sent them back. Jefferson could have easily freed them.

Woah, hold the phone. 1860 != 1770. In 1770, slaves were all over the place and nobody cared. In 1860, slaves were only really around in the South, and if they were set free and brought North then they were relatively untroubled. In Jefferson's time, that wasn't the case. You couldn't just do that.

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 05:06 AM
Woah, hold the phone. 1860 != 1770. In 1770, slaves were all over the place and nobody cared. In 1860, slaves were only really around in the South, and if they were set free and brought North then they were relatively untroubled. In Jefferson's time, that wasn't the case. You couldn't just do that.
Actually I was referring to more of the 1800 era, when slavery almost ENDED because it was so ineffective. Around 1810 it made a miraculous recovery as Cotton replaced Tobacco as a cash crop and Alabama/Mississippi/Louisiana/Texas were settled by slave holding whites.
Slavery was NEVER common in New England because the environment was not warm enough to grow any significant cash crops. You can't grow Cotton or Tobacco there, and swlavery costs money. You don't hold slaves to grow food.
Lincoln rejected his Uncles slaves in the 1840s in a territory where they were legal. The 1840s was before the abolitionist movement had become significant and was right before the height of King Cotton.
In the 1850s it was actually HARDER to escape slavery than in the 1790s or 1800s because of the fugitive slave act, which WAS enforced by Northern police and (what sums up to) mercenaries hired by southern plantation owners.

Rainbow Dash
May 31st, 2011, 12:53 PM
lol bad dancing warrants a beating, but they didn't get one, they got love taps. Now this is police brutality.
lol'd hard at the guy troll dancing as that dude was being apprehended.

0w-SP7iuM6k

if u play the video backwards u see us help king up, and send him on his way.

Also this is pathetic, fuck america.

Rainbow Dash
May 31st, 2011, 03:08 PM
Some European kid just told me that these people should stop acting like entitled pricks because the law is totally reasonable.

Yes, entitlement to your Rights, that's terrible!

Dwood
May 31st, 2011, 03:47 PM
Dancing is prohibited at a memorial but the Westboro Baptist church can protest at your dead soldier's funeral.

Patrickssj6
May 31st, 2011, 03:52 PM
Actually I fail to see the real brutality there. Police have no rights to violent someone just because he/she is provoking them but in this case everything seemed according to the situation.

I lol @ the law though...land of liberty and justice...the American police has a very bad reputation all around the world. No newsflash there but compared to other situations i have seen, this is rather harmless :D

if you want the real skinhead policemen
HzWr3QVBScA

Dwood
May 31st, 2011, 03:52 PM
Also that kid in the 2nd video was dumb and deserved what he got.

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 04:01 PM
LOL@fuck america. Why because in some small instances there is police over reaction just like in any country? The police who live where I'm from are some of the nicest guys I've ever met. At least they don't randomly run by and kick people in the face. And I do agree with DWood's post. We have serious issues about picking our battles. Its about time some cops beat up the Westboro Baptist people. I am sick of hearing about there shit.

Dwood
May 31st, 2011, 04:04 PM
TVTyrant, those first 2 videos weren't over-reactions. The people weren't complying with the officers. Really, when your friend is about to get cuffed, you grab on to them and drag them?

Kornman00
May 31st, 2011, 04:05 PM
Also that kid in the 2nd video was dumb and deserved what he got.
Wow, you really are a neanderthal.

Rainbow Dash
May 31st, 2011, 04:26 PM
LOL@fuck america. Why because in some small instances there is police over reaction just like in any country? The police who live where I'm from are some of the nicest guys I've ever met. At least they don't randomly run by and kick people in the face. And I do agree with DWood's post. We have serious issues about picking our battles. Its about time some cops beat up the Westboro Baptist people. I am sick of hearing about there shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jefferson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Liberty

might be good reading for you

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 04:27 PM
TVTyrant, those first 2 videos weren't over-reactions. The people weren't complying with the officers. Really, when your friend is about to get cuffed, you grab on to them and drag them?
Eh. They shouldn't of had to react in the first place is what I believe the discussion is about. just be quiet and the others wont annoy you

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 04:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jefferson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Liberty

might be good reading for you
I know all about it. You don't need to tell me about my own country. Go back to your hyperlink ban thread.

Dwood
May 31st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Wow, you really are a neanderthal.

I enjoy a good butt-kicking every now and then.

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM
I enjoy a good butt-kicking every now and then.
I find it refreshing. The bruises make you tough.

Rainbow Dash
May 31st, 2011, 04:38 PM
I know all about it. You don't need to tell me about my own country. Go back to your hyperlink ban thread.

Hey personal unrelated question, but, do you watch fox news?

Patrickssj6
May 31st, 2011, 04:42 PM
I find it refreshing. The bruises make you tough.
Says the guy who is too fat to walk. You got beat up in school for being fat or something?

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 04:42 PM
Hey personal unrelated question, but, do you watch fox news?
Nope. NBC and the Daily Show.

Hey personal unrelated question, but, did you teach yourself to be pretentious or were you just born that way?

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 04:44 PM
Says the guy who is too fat to walk. You got beat up in school for being fat or something?
Ouch dawg. I thought we were friends :( Plus 300 isn't that fat... In America.

Rainbow Dash
May 31st, 2011, 04:45 PM
ya

wV1FrqwZyKw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV1FrqwZyKw)

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2011, 04:46 PM
I applaud you for a prompt and clever response sir. Made me lol.

Rainbow Dash
May 31st, 2011, 04:48 PM
I aim to please.

Patrickssj6
May 31st, 2011, 05:19 PM
lol

We all agree that
...dancing should not be prohibited
...policemen are just human beings
...there are far worse cases of police brutality
...Lady Gaga's video is "not availble in [my] country"...thank god

Dwood
May 31st, 2011, 05:30 PM
lol

We all agree that
...dancing should not be prohibited
...policemen are just human beings
...there are far worse cases of police brutality
...Lady Gaga's video is "not availble in [my] country"...thank god

Assuming they were under orders to remove any individuals attempting a 'flash mob' and dancing at the memorial, at what point did the situation become police brutality?

Edit: What are reasonable bounds in this situation, for the policemen to execute court orders?

Cortexian
May 31st, 2011, 05:42 PM
On the initial videos, I don't understand why they were there exactly but it seems they were there and dancing specifically to provoke a reaction from law enforcement? They were there to protest the fact that it's illegal to dance on the memorial, they could have started doing it initially and then stopped when asked to. Instead of protesting properly by doing something illegal initially to get the Police to show up, and then discussing the problem with the Police, they decided it would be a better idea to get themselves arrested. The protesters were at fault here, Police have operating procedures, and if someone is resisting arrest like a few of the guys in the video were doing then I believe the Police used justified force. I didn't see any Police brutality there.

For the SWAT brutality video, wow... I know that SWAT operators are given more leeway when it comes to entry procedures and such, but shooting up the family pets? That's just low, I mean, you're wearing full protective gear, a dog bite isn't going to phase you. Instead of shooting them you could have just ignored them, dogs back away when they realize their aggression is going completely unanswered. If they weren't wearing appropriate stab-proof pants or other clothing I guess it makes sense to neutralize dogs that are defending their property though. It seems that the entry procedures just need to be revised, otherwise that looks like it went down perfectly.

The Berlin Police brutality, not enough going on in the video to tell if the guy that was kicked in the face had been doing something aggressive towards the Police earlier. From what's shown in the video though, it was completely uncalled for.

king_nothing_
May 31st, 2011, 06:50 PM
On the initial videos, I don't understand why they were there exactly but it seems they were there and dancing specifically to provoke a reaction from law enforcement? They were there to protest the fact that it's illegal to dance on the memorial, they could have started doing it initially and then stopped when asked to. Instead of protesting properly by doing something illegal initially to get the Police to show up, and then discussing the problem with the Police, they decided it would be a better idea to get themselves arrested. The protesters were at fault here, Police have operating procedures, and if someone is resisting arrest like a few of the guys in the video were doing then I believe the Police used justified force. I didn't see any Police brutality there.
It's about calling attention to the issue. If they don't get arrested, it doesn't get media coverage and we wouldn't be sitting here talking about it. A more accurate term for what you call "protesting properly" is "protesting ineffectively". Ever heard of civil disobedience? Obviously you most likely have, but it seems to have completely escaped your mind. For you to say they were at fault for getting arrested for breaking an unjust, liberty impeding law, is just completely preposterous.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

"One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law." - MLK

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws." - MLK

Do me (and yourself) a favor and actually read and digest those quotes.

jcap
May 31st, 2011, 07:22 PM
Anyone know what they were charged with? Or were they simply released?

Meanwhile, a dance party of 1600 people is being planned at the memorial.

oontz oontz oontz

Kornman00
May 31st, 2011, 08:06 PM
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/skins/default/avatars/oonsk.gif

Haven't seen any commercial news cover the event yet, nor the impending event, so I don't know if they were actually charged or not. They should have all the dancers dancing around the memorial, then have them stroll thru it from time to time, to the other side, then proceed to dance. Then for the grand hoo-rah, pack into the memorial and...

Just Dance
izHGZKxX8Ng

Rainbow Dash
June 1st, 2011, 09:10 AM
LQcmlBV6mYQ

According to him there was a new reporter from a major station there who got kicked out during this whole thing. Never got aired though, so who knows.

_R_Dng-wnz8

FZ3zqvr0zrA

Bodzilla
June 1st, 2011, 10:07 AM
zEPV46gT5qU

tell me whats the parody, and whats the fake things he states in that video because they're real quotes in there.

Rainbow Dash
June 1st, 2011, 01:21 PM
http://wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/crying_liberty.jpg

king_nothing_
June 1st, 2011, 06:09 PM
According to him there was a new reporter from a major station there who got kicked out during this whole thing. Never got aired though, so who knows.
If they were there, they definitely got kicked out, because everyone got kicked out. They temporarily closed the memorial.

Apparently it's also illegal to video record in a public place if the cops don't want you to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUU3yCy3uI#t=9m40s

You must leave.
-- Is press not allowed here either?
You're not allowed to video record in here. Go.
-- I'm press.
Doesn't matter.

rofl.

Anyone know what they were charged with? Or were they simply released?
I don't think they were charged, they probably just spent a few hours in jail and then got released. According to the guy in this video, Adam Kokesh's ticket/citation actually said "dancing in a restricted area" as the reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiWohs-pt0Y

Meanwhile, a dance party of 1600 people is being planned at the memorial.

oontz oontz oontzIf I lived in the area, I would seriously consider joining them.

Patrickssj6
June 1st, 2011, 06:54 PM
Country in peril...KFC ran out of chicken. Get a video camera and call the media!

king_nothing_
June 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Country in peril...KFC ran out of chicken. Get a video camera and call the media!
Uhhh...what.

TVTyrant
June 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Uhhh...what.
Hes making fun of us and this whole thread/course of events.

Warsaw
June 1st, 2011, 07:19 PM

Good riddance. KFC is terrible.

:v:

king_nothing_
June 1st, 2011, 07:48 PM
ThYWiI9Gu5k

Don't be frightened by the "FOX" emblem in the corner. Judge Napolitano is awesome.

Kornman00
June 1st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Good to see a commercial news network finally giving this some light...even if that network is Fux news

paladin
June 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM
Good to see a commercial news network finally giving this some light...even if that network is Fox News

ftfy, im sure it was a mistake and wont happen again

Kornman00
June 2nd, 2011, 12:29 AM
whoops, I meant to say "fucks youse"

Patrickssj6
June 3rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hes making fun of us and this whole thread/course of events.
No. I am making fun of the fact that this is a hype...

Good riddance. KFC is terrible.

Only been there once...drunken at 11PM during World Soccer Cup :v:

Warsaw
June 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Ha ha, that explains it. Nobody would want to go there sober.

Rainbow Dash
June 9th, 2011, 07:33 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tj-get-this-party-started/2011/06/04/AGg8i5IH_gallery.html

No one posted this :v

Warsaw
June 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM
The idea of dancing at memorials is just as ridiculous (planking, anyone?) as the law banning it. However, I am greatly amused.

king_nothing_
June 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
The idea of dancing at memorials is just as ridiculous (planking, anyone?) as the law banning it.
No...not even close.

TVTyrant
June 10th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Because dancing on what are effectively the graves of our forefathers isnt ridiculous :rolleyes:

Patrickssj6
June 10th, 2011, 07:59 AM
The be free or not to be...ahh fuck this :#

=sw=warlord
June 10th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

king_nothing_
June 10th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Because dancing on what are effectively the graves of our forefathers isnt ridiculous :rolleyes:
You keep repeating this, but it's not making any more sense than it did earlier. It's not their graves. It's not "effectively" their graves. Stop calling it a grave in an attempt to bolster your "it's disrespectful" argument. Any notion that their actions were disrespectful to Thomas Jefferson is completely absurd, and I've already explained to you why. They were there to promote the very ideals that Thomas Jefferson stood for. They were honoring him. You seem to not understand that at all. Even if they WERE disrespecting him (which they clearly weren't), he would SUPPORT their constitutional right to do so on public grounds.

TVTyrant
June 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM
You keep repeating this, but it's not making any more sense than it did earlier. It's not their graves. It's not "effectively" their graves. Stop calling it a grave in an attempt to bolster your "it's disrespectful" argument. Any notion that their actions were disrespectful to Thomas Jefferson is completely absurd, and I've already explained to you why. They were there to promote the very ideals that Thomas Jefferson stood for. They were honoring him. You seem to not understand that at all. Even if they WERE disrespecting him (which they clearly weren't), he would SUPPORT their constitutional right to do so on public grounds.
Im not talking about their constitutional right. I'm not talking about the law. I'm saying its stupid. IT IS A STUPID THING TO DO. Why would you need to do this? IN WHAT SITUATION WOULD YOU GO AND DANCE ON THE MEMORIALS?

Answer me that. Honestly. Thats my complaint. I am beyond the point of caring about the law or constitutional right. Im just saying that it is a ridiculous and silly thing to do in the first place. You don't want there to be a law about it, thats fine. But its stupid to say "Well today Im going to DC. I'm going to see the White House, the Capital building, and then do a square dance on Jefferson's place on enshrinement as a founder of our nation."

Go to DC and dance your ass off. I'll still think its stupid. I dont give a fuck anymore about the other stuff. Its still a childish thing to do.

Fake E: Also of course I am saying something to improve my opinion. Thats why its called an opinion. You dont hear of too many people going to the actual gravesites of Jefferson do you? So its a place of enshrinement. Effectively, a GRAVE.

=sw=warlord
June 10th, 2011, 11:04 AM
ATTN MODACITY:
Dancing to celebrate is now childish and everyone should now sit in a circle doing cross words at parties and celebrations.
Anything that involves dancing, celebrating times gone past or celebrating any kind of achievement shall now be considered heresy and retarded.
Signed
TVTyrant

E: Graves are the final resting points of a persons body, unless the body is held at the monument it is NOT a grave.

TVTyrant
June 10th, 2011, 11:12 AM
ATTN MODACITY:
Dancing to celebrate is now childish and everyone should now sit in a circle doing cross words at parties and celebrations.
Anything that involves dancing, celebrating times gone past or celebrating any kind of achievement shall now be considered heresy and retarded.
Signed
TVTyrant

E: Graves are the final resting points of a persons body, unless the body is held at the monument it is NOT a grave.
Yes because Monuments are a normal place for people to dance. having an objection to people doing it makes me Hitler and I want to take away everyone's rights because I think people dancing at monuments is ridiculous.
I just think that there are places where things are appropriate and some places where things aren't. The tone of my prior post was most likely too aggressive, and for that I am willing to make the concession that monuments=/=graves, but they stand for important purposes and are meant to hold that person in infamy, just like an Eastern Shrine.

=sw=warlord
June 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Yes because Monuments are a normal place for people to dance. having an objection to people doing it makes me Hitler and I want to take away everyone's rights because I think people dancing at monuments is ridiculous.
I just think that there are places where things are appropriate and some places where things aren't. The tone of my prior post was most likely too aggressive, and for that I am willing to make the concession that monuments=/=graves, but they stand for important purposes.

What is more disrespectful, the act of celebrating a persons greatest achievements in conventional measures for example dancing and other methods of celebration or to always meet at the monument in a solemn tone as though it were the Auschwitz concentration camp acting as though the events and achievements never had a positive impact on peoples lives?
Talking about the actions and achievements as though they are to be looked down upon rather than talking and enjoying the end result as though said event's were for the better good rather than feces found on your shoes?

I'm glad you at least have the integrity to realize that a monument is not a grave unless the body is laid to rest there.

TVTyrant
June 10th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I just don't think the memorial is an appropriate place to dance. That's all. The idea seems silly to me. There is literally nothing you can say to convince me otherwise.

thehoodedsmack
June 10th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I'm pretty sure most of us think it's silly, but that's not what the thread's about.

=sw=warlord
June 10th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I just don't think the memorial is an appropriate place to dance. That's all. The idea seems silly to me. There is literally nothing you can say to convince me otherwise.

What would you prefer, everyone you cared celebrating your life and the memories you left behind or spend their whole time grieving for the end of your life?
If you ask me, I would prefer my loved ones to focus on the times we had and be happy for the chance to have had those times rather than the end of my time.

TVTyrant
June 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM
What would you prefer, everyone you cared celebrating your life and the memories you left behind or spend their whole time grieving for the end of your life?
If you ask me, I would prefer my loved ones to focus on the times we had and be happy for the chance to have had those times rather than the end of my time.
Remember the gun topics, and how you said you wouldn't change your opinion? Obviously this is of far less consequence, but I feel that way about this.

king_nothing_
June 10th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Im not talking about their constitutional right. I'm not talking about the law. I'm saying its stupid. IT IS A STUPID THING TO DO. Why would you need to do this? IN WHAT SITUATION WOULD YOU GO AND DANCE ON THE MEMORIALS?
To promote the idea that we should have the freedom to dance at public memorials in a supposedly "free" society, regardless of whether or not it's a "stupid" thing to do, perhaps? Is it your belief that we should all be complacent in the face of unjust laws if the unjust laws in question are prohibiting actions which could be considered "unimportant" or "dumb"? Is that what you've shifted your argument to?

Has it crossed your mind that perhaps their intention is to spark an idea bigger than just "I want the right to dance at memorials!"? Like personal liberty in general, maybe? Their dance protest is just a conduit to promote something much larger and more important...something which has been fading out of the public consciousness for a long time now.

Fake E: Also of course I am saying something to improve my opinion. Thats why its called an opinion. You dont hear of too many people going to the actual gravesites of Jefferson do you? So its a place of enshrinement. Effectively, a GRAVE.Trying to bolster your argument factually and logically is one thing. Trying to bolster your argument in an intellectually dishonest fashion is another. It's not a grave.

Rainbow Dash
June 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
It's not a grave.

In addition to this, it would be totally irrelevant even if it was a grave.

Patrickssj6
June 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Obviously this is of far less consequence, but I feel that way about this.
But you cannot say "it's my freedom to own a gun" and on the other hand "every form of dancing in a memorial place should be prohibited".

It's not like he is shouting out loud and dancing violently (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeq9fmBO7Uc).

Warsaw
June 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM
^I have to agree with that.

Nobody is getting hurt by this and I am not about to start lumping anything less than causing PTS Syndrome (so to speak) with regards to mental injury as "causing harm."

TVTyrant
June 10th, 2011, 10:35 PM
To promote the idea that we should have the freedom to dance at public memorials in a supposedly "free" society, regardless of whether or not it's a "stupid" thing to do, perhaps? Is it your belief that we should all be complacent in the face of unjust laws if the unjust laws in question are prohibiting actions which could be considered "unimportant" or "dumb"? Is that what you've shifted your argument to?

Has it crossed your mind that perhaps their intention is to spark an idea bigger than just "I want the right to dance at memorials!"? Like personal liberty in general, maybe? Their dance protest is just a conduit to promote something much larger and more important...something which has been fading out of the public consciousness for a long time now.
No shit Sherlock. We stopped talking about that a long time ago. The last like 10 nposts or more have just been about my opinion about what is or isn't appropriate at a memorial. Re-read the thread. I agree its a constitutional right, and I think its sad that the infringement on our rights is to the point where we even need to have a protest that consists of people dancing on the Jefferson memorial. I am NOT saying they don't have the right to, I am just saying that I am not a fan of people doing that under OTHER CONTEXTS other than the one that had been the topic of discussion. I DO NOT believe that there "ought to be a law", nor do I believe that these people are wrong in protesting. But I believe that there are places where you use discretion in the way you express yourself.
Also: There dancing was terrible. I probably would have thought much more highly of the protesters if they had had some elaborate interpretive dance set up that would have portrayed the life of Jefferson. THAT would have been cool, and an awesome way to protest.
Pat:I haven't said that. I have just said that I don't like it. You could almost say its how I "express" myself.

Kornman00
June 11th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Also: There dancing was terrible.
Where exactly?

TVTyrant
June 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Where exactly?
Aside from the arresting (which I have already said I was NOT okay with) 1:44 the dude makes me lol pretty good. An awesome interpretive dance would have been so much better. With costumes. And makeup. And classical music. and raping slaves

Patrickssj6
June 11th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Where exactly?
:3:3:3

Kornman00
June 11th, 2011, 05:15 AM
At least someone caught it :3

Rainbow Dash
June 11th, 2011, 07:24 AM
:3:3:3

Du bist suess~

Patrickssj6
June 11th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Du bist suess~
sucks not having all of the keys...waita...using an english keyboard as well...copy/paste :P you are süß as well :3:3

Warsaw
June 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Alt combos are your friend.

:p

Rainbow Dash
June 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I can just substitute the letters!

Danke patrick~ :3

dark navi
June 12th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Fick die Polizei.

Bodzilla
June 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
you should continue posting, it's not everyday we get people with your incredible insight.