PDA

View Full Version : New Tennessee law bans posting images that "cause emotional distress"

JackalStomper
June 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/06/tenn-law-bans-posting-images-that-cause-emotional-distress.ars

discuss

Warsaw
June 8th, 2011, 04:46 PM
This is just as bad as that shit being proposed in Canada.

I declare a purgation of all government offices in the country so that we can get these over-aged, backwards individuals into retirement and some savvy, somewhat younger people in.

annihilation
June 8th, 2011, 04:46 PM
It might get overturned. I think that would violate freedom of speech.
But they might say it's emotional abuse.

Either way they can fuck off. If someone "posts an image that causes emotional distress" I'll deal with it my way (such as blocking the person), I don't need the Government stepping in. Christ sakes stop trying to turn America into a utopia, we're supposed to be a free country.

Limited
June 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I think that law is so offensive, it violates itself.

I think there is a grey area rule like that in the UK, if you are posting it simple to cause distress. Not sure though.

Then again America has a very strong consitiutional right (UK doesnt), the first amendment. The other issue of this law is, how do you deem an image distressing to one person which may not be to someone else. Unless the ruling is like "hey you posted a picture of me doing an inappropriate act and its upsetting me" style situation.

Warsaw
June 8th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Besides, how does this do anything when the majority of people in the country, let alone on the planet, do not live in Tennessee? I can foresee a similar situation to GeoHotz, with them trying to prosecute someone way outside their jurisdiction.

Limited
June 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
^ Agreed, I always find it weird how some states have completely different opinion on laws, like the age of consent is different age in different states. I understand states are HUGE but seriously cmon...

Plus this is to do with the internet, its not just like a traffic law or something thats easy to police in the state. Does Tennessee have a big enough issue with people uploading distressing images or something to warrant this law?

king_nothing_
June 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM
^ Agreed, I always find it weird how some states have completely different opinion on laws, like the age of consent is different age in different states. I understand states are HUGE but seriously cmon...
Tenth Amendment.

Of course, the federal government has completely destroyed the Tenth Amendment in their quest to expand their power. They've basically rendered it irrelevant.

Rainbow Dash
June 8th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I declare a purgation of all government offices in the country so that we can get these over-aged, backwards individuals into retirement and some savvy, somewhat younger people in.

^

Warsaw
June 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM
State power was an irrelevant and obsolete idea once the Civil War was finished.

TVTyrant
June 9th, 2011, 12:10 AM
State power was an irrelevant and obsolete idea once the Civil War was finished.
Freeing the slaves violated States rights. We can have equality or State's rights. Pick one. Agreeing with you WarSaw

Warsaw
June 9th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Freeing the slaves violated States rights. We can have equality or State's rights. Pick one. Agreeing with you WarSaw

:v:

king_nothing_
June 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM
What? The Tenth Amendment doesn't have to be violated anymore in order to stop states from depriving people of liberty. That's what the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Amendments were for.

TVTyrant
June 9th, 2011, 09:06 AM
What? The Tenth Amendment doesn't have to be violated anymore in order to stop states from depriving people of liberty. That's what the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Amendments were for.
13th and 14th say without due process of law. They never say WHO'S due process. And the fact they were enacted in the first place defies the 10th Amendment. The Civil War wasn't just about slavery. It was about the South losing its voice in government during the election of 1860.

It's like saying the 13th and 14th amendments stop states from banning gay marriage. They should, but it hasn't happened yet. And I don't believe there are very many willing to shoulder arms over the issue.

Dwood
June 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Gimmie some of that stuff in yo' professor's pipe TVtyrant, it must be p. good

sleepy1212
June 9th, 2011, 01:01 PM
We can have equality or State's rights. Pick one.

Equality: everyone getting fucked over by one government instead of 50+1.

TVTyrant
June 9th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Gimmie some of that stuff in yo' professor's pipe TVtyrant, it must be p. good
A lot of times its AK47, which is some pretty good shit. Most of its grown on the East slope of Mt. Hood /sarcasm

Sleepy: Yeah, and its a hell of a lot better than the morality issue of slavery. Crushing bureaucracy versus a Confederate victory I'll take the Union all the way. Sorry Southerners.
Also an ancestor of mine fought for the North. I can't really go against the flag and beliefs he fought and shed blood for.

sleepy1212
June 9th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I don't think human rights and state rights should mix, there's a reason we have a federal government, but obliterating state rights is stupid.

TVTyrant
June 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I don't think human rights and state rights should mix, there's a reason we have a federal government, but obliterating state rights is stupid.
I agree. But it was a dangerous mixture that was extremely volatile. When you are allowing states to act as independent entities the way they did at that time, it made for a system that was unbreakable without war. I don't think that in our modern society bad things would happen. I was more meaning that that is how it went down in the past (sorry for a seeming lack of clarity earlier).
Don't forget that WE are the government. We inherited this institution. One day we will be the ones who are depended upon to lead our country. sorry been reading too much Naruto

Warsaw
June 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM
States are more like provinces these days unless you are California, Texas, or New York. Those states apparently think they have the right to tell the rest of us how to live. I am technically not allowed in NYC because I own a firearm in Virginia. :downs:

Fucked up, right?

sleepy1212
June 10th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I am technically not allowed in NYC because I own a firearm in Virginia.

Heller and McDonald were on that very subject. States and local governments shouldn't have the right to violate the Constitution. There are a lot of gun rights groups fighting it but you might as well just forget about NYC, it's full of crazy people.