PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Schools in Ontario Ban Rainbows

Rainbow Dash
June 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3332789/Jesus-Has-Two-Daddies.gif

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/catholic-schools-ontario-ban-rainbows-185825842.html

Leanne Iskander, 16, tells Xtra (http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Rainbows_banned_at_Mississauga_Catholic_school-10262.aspx) that the Dufferin-Peel Catholic School Board prevented her group from displaying any rainbows at their information booth during an anti-homophobia event last week.
Iskander is the founder of the unofficial gay-straight alliance at St. Joseph Catholic School in Mississauga.
"We brought signs and posters with rainbows, and we were told we can't put them up," says Iskander to Xtra (http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Rainbows_banned_at_Mississauga_Catholic_school-10262.aspx). "They said rainbows are associated with Pride. There's so many other things that a rainbow could be. It's ridiculous."

By selling the cupcakes at 50 cents each, the group raised $200 for charity. However the school would not allow the group to donate the money to the charity of their choice, which was the LGBT Youth Line.
"We were told to donate to Covenant House, a Catholic homeless shelter," says Iskander to Xtra (http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Rainbows_banned_at_Mississauga_Catholic_school-10262.aspx).
:S

Shame really, this is the province I live in, and here I was thinking that maybe we were beyond some of the hatred and discrimination, but then again, I guess with Harper's majority win, all his hardcore supporters are going to start crawling out of their hidey holes and pulling more of this ridiculous shit.

TVTyrant
June 10th, 2011, 09:04 AM
That is probably the fucking stupidest thing I have ever read. It makes my brain hurt.

thehoodedsmack
June 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Not schools plural, just one school board making a stupid decision over one incident at one school. Title is misleading. Still, I live in Ontario as well, and frankly I don't think I'd have any problem with a Catholic school being retarded, if it wasn't for the fact that we still fund the Catholic school system through everyone's taxes. But good luck changing that with a Conservative government.

Hotrod
June 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Also being a guy who lives in Ontario, I find this extremely silly... Thankfully the French Catholic school board that my schools were a part of isn't like this. In fact, not only did they accept them, they supported people who were homosexual.

Rainbow Dash
June 10th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Not schools plural, just one school board making a stupid decision over one incident at one school. Title is misleading. Still, I live in Ontario as well, and frankly I don't think I'd have any problem with a Catholic school being retarded, if it wasn't for the fact that we still fund the Catholic school system through everyone's taxes. But good luck changing that with a Conservative government.

The teacher who delivered the news told Iskander the decision came from the board. “The board wasn’t there, but they knew about the event,” she says. And the board speaks for pretty much every school under it so :/

The original article seems to be better than the yahoo one.

http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Rainbows_banned_at_Mississauga_Catholic_school-10262.aspx

sleepy1212
June 13th, 2011, 07:49 AM
wait, why do homos need charity? are they going hungry or something?

Bodzilla
June 13th, 2011, 08:32 AM
With that post there, you could make a legitimate claim for disability pension.

sleepy1212
June 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM
hmm let's see

not endangered
not going hungry
not being clear cut to make room for farmland
not a disease genetic or psychological
not being hunted for their blubber or horns
not without shoes
not missing basic education to work in sulfer mines
not homeless
not refugees from warring country
not being sold on the black market to lonely russian men
and their eggs aren't thin from too much DDT in the fish

Do we really need a charity for every single identifiable group out there?

oh nevermind, it's so kids can come out of the closet over the phone - THINK OF THE GAY CHILDRENS

TVTyrant
June 13th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Wait, I missed the part where gay people would be getting money out of this. Its just a rainbow banner. Its super duper retarded that they banned them from their school. Either way I don't see how it really affects the gays.

Rainbow Dash
June 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM
If you had read the article you'd know they were wanting to give the charity money raised to an LGBT charity, but the school forced them to give it to some christian foundation instead.

Warsaw
June 13th, 2011, 04:09 PM
hmm let's see

not endangered
not going hungry
not being clear cut to make room for farmland
not a disease genetic or psychological
not being hunted for their blubber or horns
not without shoes
not missing basic education to work in sulfer mines
not homeless
not refugees from warring country
not being sold on the black market to lonely russian men
and their eggs aren't thin from too much DDT in the fish

Do we really need a charity for every single identifiable group out there?

oh nevermind, it's so kids can come out of the closet over the phone - THINK OF THE GAY CHILDRENS

While I generally agree with your sentiment, I must say that there are quite a few homosexual persons who are jobless and homeless because of their sexuality. There are also those who are murdered for the same.

Cortexian
June 13th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I don't really get how a school can force you to send your money off to a different charity. I'd just give em the finger and do what I want with the money I EARNED for whatever cause. So what if they expel you, then you can just go to a less gay (pun intended) school.

CN3089
June 14th, 2011, 05:12 PM

The Ontario government is still Liberal, friend!

TVTyrant
June 14th, 2011, 08:27 PM
The Ontario government is still Liberal, friend!
Im not your friend, buddy

Kornman00
June 15th, 2011, 01:37 PM
He's not your buddy, guy!

Amit
June 15th, 2011, 01:40 PM
"I'm not man. I'm not dude!"

Bodzilla
June 16th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Amit didn't get it, also is it just me or is off topic knee deep in Canadians at the moment O__o

Dwood
June 16th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Amit didn't get it, also is it just me or is off topic knee deep in Canadians at the moment O__o

Not just you.

Amit
June 16th, 2011, 01:22 PM

No, I got it. It's from South Park, but I couldn't remember the third line so I used that line from the Baltimore cop video. Shame on me.