PDA

View Full Version : Shocker! The internet is not egalitarian, popular forum posters have it easy

Cortexian
June 14th, 2011, 04:04 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/13/shocker-the-internet-is-not-egalitarian-popular-forum-posters/

Researchers at the University of Georgia analyzed six years' worth of Usenet posts, and you know what they discovered? Life ain't fair. The most popular two percent of posters who started discussion threads hogged 50 percent of all replies, while everyone else struggled for attention. What made some thread-starters more attractive than others? Thankfully it wasn't rampant flaming. The distinguishing trait was actually how factual they were: only 12 percent of posts by popular posters contained personal opinions or comments. However, posting a bit of news isn't all it takes to win followers. In a related experiment, 200 volunteers were unleashed onto "simulated" discussion forums and their behavior (http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/10/bincam-posts-photos-of-your-trash-on-facebook-shames-you-into-r/) revealed an even more important factor. The slightly flummoxed researchers called it a "preferential attachment", which pulled readers towards posters who already had an excess of followers. In other words, life still ain't fair. For a delightfully factual breakdown of the full results, check out the PR after the break.

Kornman00
June 14th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Sorry your life isn't fair/easy freelancer!

Warsaw
June 14th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Read that one yesterday. All it said was "hurr durr."

Rainbow Dash
June 14th, 2011, 06:51 AM
An excess of followers?

Looks pretty obvious I guess, but I only really spend time on here and halomods, and those are pretty tight communities.

Hotrod
June 14th, 2011, 12:55 PM
It took them six years to research that? Couldn't any forum member figure that out in only a few months?

Cortexian
June 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
It took them six years to research that? Couldn't any forum member figure that out in only a few months?
Yeah but now its fact!

Donut
June 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
It took them six years to research that? Couldn't any forum member figure that out in only a few months days?
yeah. i learned this at halomaps, then i re-learned it here.
still working on youtube atm...

n00b1n8R
June 14th, 2011, 04:29 PM
yeah. i learned this at halomaps, then i re-learned it here.
still working on youtube atm...
Asides from Dennis and ~CMT~, who draws a crowd at halomaps? :raise:

Rainbow Dash
June 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Me

because I make them all shit out their mouths with anger.

Dwood
June 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Asides from Dennis and ~CMT~, who draws a crowd at halomaps? :raise:

Higuy.

TPBlinD
June 14th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I draw the biggest crowds here.

sleepy1212
June 15th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I draw the biggest crowds here.

no i do