PDA

View Full Version : Lighting issues

paladin
June 20th, 2011, 06:47 PM
This is really the only thing preventing me from releasing this map:

http://image.odinseye.org/images/lighting.jpg

Is it the smoothing groups on the geometry or what? It tends to be in random areas every time i render the lighting

Higuy
June 20th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Can't remember what its called... Some kind of odd portal geometry error where you have to move around a vert, I remember Siliconmaster making a tutorial about it.

Siliconmaster
June 22nd, 2011, 12:41 AM
Hmm, that looks to be a lighting error, not a phantom bsp error. Are you looking at the weird shadowing in the middle of the pic, or the abrupt lighting change in the upper right? Or both? Honestly it could just be sapien sucking at lighting for some reason. How detailed is your lighting scheme? If it's fairly simple (i.e. not a hundred indoor lights), I could probably do a render of it and import it as custom lightmaps. I'm kinda bored at the moment :P

FireScythe
June 22nd, 2011, 03:19 AM
I think when tool unwraps the UVs for the lightmap geometry it can break up the UVs based on normal texture UV breaks, portals and contiguous mesh (which is your smoothing groups). So you could try moving your portals around, making some if you don't have any, making sure the UVs are welded in the affected areas and checking that only one smoothing group is applied. You could try changing the triangulation of those areas too, might force tool to move the boundries elsewhere.

Ki11a_FTW
June 23rd, 2011, 12:11 AM
pretty sure its something in the shader enviroment tag, i havent touched the game since like 08, there should be a flag in the shader environment called "Simple parimization" i probably have the second word wrong but its something like that if i remember right.

E: make sure that flag is checked off, and re run the radiosity

Higuy
June 23rd, 2011, 06:23 AM
^ oh yeah, totally forgot about that. Also, if its already checked off, check it on.

paladin
June 23rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
thanks guys

paladin
June 25th, 2011, 12:02 AM
pretty sure its something in the shader enviroment tag, i havent touched the game since like 08, there should be a flag in the shader environment called "Simple parimization" i probably have the second word wrong but its something like that if i remember right.

E: make sure that flag is checked off, and re run the radiosity

THIS. ty