PDA

View Full Version : Canadians, if you value your privacy, you will heed this message

Amit
June 22nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
http://openmedia.ca/sites/openmedia.ca/files/SOS_460x110.png (http://stopspying.ca/)

The government is trying to ram through an anti-Internet set of electronic surveillance laws that will invade your privacy and cost you money. The plan is to force every phone and Internet provider to surrender our personal information to "authorities" without a warrant.

This bizarre legislation will create Internet surveillance that is:

Warrantless: A range of "authorities" will have the ability to invade the private lives of law-abiding Canadians and our families using wired Internet and mobile devices, without a warrant or any justification.

Invasive and Dangerous: The laws leave our personal and financial information less secure and more susceptible to cybercrime.

Costly: Internet services providers may be forced to install millions of dollars worth of spying technology and the cost will be passed down to YOU.

If enough of us speak out now the government will have no choice but to stop this mandatory online spying scheme. Sign the petition now, and forward it to everyone you know →

Sign the petition: HERE (http://stopspying.ca/)

Nothing else to say. Sign the petition or you are inviting the government to control your lives in more ways than one.

Rainbow Dash
June 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Signed, this legislation is disgusting and I can not believe that Harper will probably get away with it.

=sw=warlord
June 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Signed, this legislation is disgusting and I can not believe that Harper will probably get away with it.

But harper's a great guy.:downs:
Right Freelancer?

Amit
June 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
But harper's a great guy.:downs:
Right Freelancer?

Hey man, let's not get personal here. I have no doubt in my mind that Freelancer opposes this bill.

thehoodedsmack
June 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Everyone who opposes online surveillance, put your name on this online sheet.

That doesn't sound like the smartest idea, does it?

Regardless, I support this initiative.

By the way, we may as well just register modacity.ca with the direction the forum's taking lately.

Amit
June 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
15500+ signatures in just 4 hours? We're on the right track.

Hotrod
June 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
What the fuck is this shit? I would go and write in a bunch of Harper hating...but what's the point?

Either way, I support this.

Kirby_422
June 22nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
I gave up on everything the moment harper got in. More so, the morons who gave him a majority.. I tried to explain to everyone I knew that he planned to destroy the internet, but nobody seemed to care... I even explained to them about how everything they have and do is illegal under his laws, the fools...

Harper has a majority, its the same as a dictatorship; what Harper wants Harper gets.

Also, look up the program Ultrasurf. Its what the chinese use to avoid their goverment online, I don't see why it wouldn't work for ours (other than our blocks and such are probably going to cost billions of tax payer dollars for stuff we don't even want)

Limited
June 22nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
I'm going to reserve judgement until I know more details.

For example what do they mean by "surrender our personal information to "authorities"", what kinds of information?

And does this have some sort of catch as in "they need to suspect you of illegal activity, terrorism etc". Or will it literally be a random check on Internet uses?

Amit
June 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
When they say personal information, they mean everything. All of it. Anything on your hard drives, stuff in your webspace, anything that is electronic, basically.

Rainbow Dash
June 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
3FBm9kNp7kk

CN3089
June 22nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
hmmm yes let me sign this online petition this will surely force the conservative majority government to change their policies in the face of widespread canadian opposiaahahahahhaahahahahahhahaha we're fucked

Amit
June 22nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
It helped reverse the CRTC's position on UBB.

Bodzilla
June 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
helped in australia as well.

we had an overwhelmingly large partition, constant pressure to change and when he went on a political talk show we FLOODED the show with questions and demands to ask him, we also flooded all our MP's when ever it came to vote on his shitty fucking scheme asking them to stop the madness.

as yet it hasn't passed and he's been trying for years.

Kornman00
June 23rd, 2011, 12:01 AM
If I had dual citizenship, I'd sign. But I don'tz :saddowns:

Cortexian
June 23rd, 2011, 04:52 AM
Signed, giving Harper an earful if I see him in a informal setting before this goes off.

Amit
June 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
:D

Amit
June 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
A person I know from another forum posted the following after reading this article from the CBC (http://www.cbc.ca/m/rich/technology/story/2011/06/23/technology-internet-intercept-lawful-petition.html). I have ideas of what to say to him, since we're talking about the Harper government here and not an angel government. I want some insight to this from you guys, though. It this really being blown out of proportion?

Right, so completely different from what the poll is stating.

These are not right to invade privacy of law-abiding citizens, but those who are NOT abiding by the law.
They do not appear to have any cause for financial and personal information to be less secure.
There is no investment in "spying technology", since allowing a tcpdump is NOT costly whatsoever.

This is another knee-jerk reaction by those wanting to preserve their right to torrent, basically.

What has to be specified is under what grounds the authorities can request access to this information. These "certain circumstances" are what will clench the support.

TBH, a lot of this is already in place and already used. If this is to the benefit of catching people like Lulzsec and Anonymous, all the more power to them, I'd like to see those arseholes behind bars already.

TeeKup
June 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
I can understand lulsec. But anonymous I'm not too sure about.

I'm not saying I support them by any means, it's just now a days not many people raise their voice to challenge the problems that are at hand. Anonymous may be belligerent in some respects but at least people listen to what they say.

Or maybe I'm just being a naive idiot.

Rainbow Dash
June 23rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
You need a warrant to invade people's physical privacy, you should definitely need one to invade people's virtual privacy as well.

Also writing it off as a means to help catch lulzsec kids at something is pretty fucking silly too, especially since all they've done is expose arguably criminal negligence in the security of people's personal information.

As for Anon, they're primarily marketed as activists, and we all know those are a threat to corrupt governments such as our's so uh, yeah catching them is probably something this is supposed to accomplish lol.

Mr Buckshot
June 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Signed.