PDA

View Full Version : How awesome are your school computer classes?

Cortexian
May 11th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Well, as some of you know our school got a bunch of new PC's (C2D's, 1 gb RAM, ect).

Hell we even have real live lobsters in our class today for osme reason... Fun to play with, just don't take the elastic bands off there claws and try and make them Lobster Fight, you end up with lobsters attached to your body...

I'll grab a pic If I can.

InnerGoat
May 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Pics before thread, man :p

flibitijibibo
May 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Our school's "top-a-da-line" PCs:

Intel 1.5 Ghz Single Core
256 MB RAM
16MB GFX Card
No sound
What I'm pretty sure is 10MB/s Ethernet

I, can't, go, on... *Cries*

Emmzee
May 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Mine suck ass. I go to an arts school, and I have only a slight interest in the arts.

mR_r0b0to
May 11th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Mine's great. The slowest computers have a Pentium IV 3.0 GHz + 1 GB RAM :), fastest ones have a C2D E6300 + 2 GB RAM. That's on 7 on-campus computer labs and a shitload in the library.

and they don't care if you steal the software :)
And it's a public school. :D

Timo
May 11th, 2007, 06:05 PM
We have two computer labs that can run 3 or 4 programs at once before lagging out. The rest of the computers are thin clients, and can't handle running word and IE smoothly, at the same time. ;\

flibitijibibo
May 11th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Ours barely run IE5. It's friggin' sweet. /sarcasm

mR_r0b0to: Hey, eff you. XP

Hurrvish
May 11th, 2007, 07:35 PM
our computers are shit. you can offer it to a hobo down by the bridge, and hell just dump in into the stream and shit on it :eyesroll:

Con
May 11th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Ours are the shit.
Shitty CRT monitors (so old they've turned yellow)
Shitty integrated graphics (800x600!)
Shitty small HDDs
Shitty trackball mice (without scroll wheels)
Shitty keyboards (literally--contract 5 serious diseases)
Shitty all aroundAnd if you want the actual classes...

We have InfoTech. Yeah. It goes a little like this for the Gr12 class:
-Teacher: This is Microsoft Word
-Student: Theres no file open button on my keyboard

flibitijibibo
May 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Hey, at least you guys have HDs.

I guess if he wanted the actual classes too... it's like Conscars situation. Then when it comes to programming, it's VB 6.0! =D

"This is a label."
"lol wtf how i hax wif dat, i tuk cs to hax my mom lolol"

Emmzee
May 11th, 2007, 07:55 PM
UPDATE: I got an email from my Comp teacher. Turns we're getting a shipment of hand-me-downs from nearby Duke University, so no more 7-year old iMacs in our Media Center. Thank God.

Abdurahman
May 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
hahahha u guys' schools suck! At my school Theres brand new Dell Opterons with 1 gig ram and pentuim 4 3 ghz and lcd monitors! hahahaha!

about 4 hundred of them

WolfenRage
May 11th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I basically taught frontpage at my school, was hoping to learn dreamweaver cause they had it (never did)

Emmzee
May 11th, 2007, 08:02 PM
hahahha u guys' schools suck! At my school Theres brand new Dell Opterons with 1 gig ram and pentuim 4 3 ghz and lcd monitors! hahahaha!

about 4 hundred of them
You use Dell. You should not be laughing. Noob.

Abdurahman
May 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM
well theyre better then u guys trash computers(no offense)

Emmzee
May 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM
well theyre better then u guys trash computers(no offense)
No they're not. They're fucking Dells.

rossmum
May 11th, 2007, 08:32 PM
My school's computers can be summed up by the following:

:fail:

Cortexian
May 11th, 2007, 08:46 PM
As for our Multimedia class, we do web stuff with Dreamweaver, Java, Flash, Modeling with 3ds max 8 and maya 8.5, we also do video editing with Adobe Premiere and After effects.

I feel sorry for you guys.

Then there is our programming class were we do C++, C+, Javascript, and some VB...

<3 my school.

rossmum
May 11th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Our school has basic software design, and though they have Flash and Fireworks, they're rarely used. No 3D shit at all :gonk:

CN3089
May 11th, 2007, 09:09 PM
It depends. Almost every class has some kind of computer in it, the best are actually top of the line and are reserved for actual computer classes, most are around 2-3 (?) years old.

Our school only has about 300 people in it too :awesome:

Abdurahman
May 11th, 2007, 09:45 PM
im sorry, dells are trash

TPE
May 12th, 2007, 03:12 AM
your school computers are shit

i got a dell XPS H2C
C2D extreme
4 GB of ram
1 TB of HDD
2X8800 GTX's

legionaire45
May 12th, 2007, 03:42 AM
My school has a mix of shit.

average computers are 1.2 ghz iMacs (the shitty round ones) w/ 512 megs of ram and some shitty Geforce 3 or 4 or something like that.

Most common laptops are some ancient Dells that cannot run Luna (they have to use Windows 2000/ME's UI scheme). It hurts me every day.

We have some IBM pre-Lenovo laptops also. They are the only ones to have held up for long.

Toshiba laptops that are all broken to shit. Its sad when 5-6 people have to share a laptop at a school called High Tech High =P.
best are the Core Duo laptops with some shitty integrated GFX. Yes, thats the best.

Hell, most of the laptops are either from Pre-2000 or beaten to shit. Im absolutely astounded that we haven't replaced them yet =/. You know you have a problem when on average it takes 5 minutes to log on and another 10 minutes for Internet Exploder to open.

Best Workstations (Only like 3 of them) are these dual Xeon machines with some older ATI FireVL card. Not sure what make but they have support for up to 4 monitors per card if we had the monitors =P.

Remember how I was having issues running games on any of the school's computers? This was why xD.

klange
May 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
My school has:
A web design class ( = fail)
C++ ( = meh)
AP Com. Sci. <Java> ( = win)
I've taken C++, and I'll be taking Java next year : )
I have not, and never will, take our web design class. I have an "insider", who tells me what they do every day. Friday they made tables. TABLES.

Cortexian
May 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM
your school computers are shit

i got a dell XPS H2C
C2D extreme
4 GB of ram
1 TB of HDD
2X8800 GTX's
bwahaha. Take me a picture, and I don't care what YOU have, My personal PC is that good, except I'm not an idiot in need of 1tb of space, only half that :P

plus, by including the word DELL, you just made that entire thing sound like shit.

flibitijibibo
May 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Why does everyone hate Dell so much? o.O

Terry
May 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Ours are so bad, its not even funny. I've seen many strange things happen on my older PC but the PC's at my school are just...wow.

LlamaMaster
May 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Why does everyone hate Dell so much? o.O
Because they suck mb? So does eMachines, god I hated that computer...

flibitijibibo
May 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Okay, I agree that eMachines suck ass to a level comparable to a black hole, but I still don't see how Dell sucks. I've had an eMachines, an HP, a Sony VAIO, a Gateway, and a Dell, and the Dell has been way better than the others.

Emmzee
May 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Okay, I agree that eMachines suck ass to a level comparable to a black hole, but I still don't see how Dell sucks. I've had an eMachines, an HP, a Sony VAIO, a Gateway, and a Dell, and the Dell has been way better than the others.
It's because noobs have an inverse perspective on a lot of things.

Cortexian
May 12th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Dell's arn't that bad if you format and install a retail OS.

klange
May 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
The machines themselves aren't that bad, it's Dell's customer service that started the whole "Dells suck" thing.

Kalub
May 12th, 2007, 05:27 PM
800mHz Pent 1's
16bit Graphics card...
32mb of ram

But at our technical center we have
Intel Duo 2 Extremes with 4 gigs of ram and 250gigs of space with 8800's

itszutak
May 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Dell's arn't that bad if you format and install a retail OS.
'swhat my Dell has. It's the best computer I've ever used, but that might be because all that are in the house are Dells or Toshiba laptops. :/

I think my school got some free computers from Dell, or something; we have about 100 shitty, slow dells all hooked up to some central server and with some internet blocker crap on them. :/

Oh yes, I can't touch the toolbar at the bottom. Like, it's just decoration down there. :/

Emmzee
May 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM
But at our technical center we have
Intel Duo 2 Extremes with 4 gigs of ram and 250gigs of space with 8800's
:picsorstfu:

TPE
May 12th, 2007, 08:09 PM
bwahaha. Take me a picture, and I don't care what YOU have, My personal PC is that good, except I'm not an idiot in need of 1tb of space, only half that :P

plus, by including the word DELL, you just made that entire thing sound like shit.ummm it is a school computer.

i will get a pic on monday.

anyway how can the word dell make something sound like shit. so if i made a map called dell you would call it shit even though it was the best map ever made?

rossmum
May 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM
In my experience, Dell PCs are usually fine (if a little pricey), but their customer service is pretty shitty. Dell laptops are fucking terrible.

theEND
May 16th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Dell PCs are the worst manufactured PCs, except for all the others. Dells can be very good, but its always cheaper to build a machine yourself, unless you don't know how and fry your CPU before you get it in.
My school uses Tangent PCs, which are top of the line crap. We're lucky to get one with 512 mb of Ram, and having a whole Ghz of CPU speed is rare indeed. Only good ones are in the computer service and repair lab, because our teacher actualy knows how to get decent parts. We use mostly eMacs for the graphic arts classes (web design, animation, podcast), but PCs are standard for everything else.

legionaire45
May 17th, 2007, 02:23 AM
I didn't mention this before so I'll go ahead and mention them:

Alienware laptops with 17 or 19" screens from like 2003/4. They have Prescott (Pentium 4) desktop CPUs in them (aka put it on your lap and prepare to be sterilized). They also have full on Quadro's in them, not sure what make. However, most of them are seriously fucked up. They either start sparking near the power connector when you try and plug the chargers in, don't boot at all, have heatsinks that are not contacting the chips (aka you smell ozone when they boot) or when they do work they have literally 5 minutes of battery life. The power bricks are literally bigger then a PC power supply as well. To compound things, on the 2-3/10 that actually work the license for 3DS Max is gone. The reason they are in such bad shape is apparently because Alienware wouldn't take them back because "they were not broken enough."

Oh, here is an untextured 3D of the usual IBM PC at our school. Ignore the monitor, that is my Benq =3.
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/11801163281.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5336091)
I do productive things during Chemistry and Solar Car.

Cortexian
May 17th, 2007, 10:39 AM
This is how I sum up alienware:

:fail:

Pooky
May 17th, 2007, 11:38 PM
How awesome are your school computer classes?

My school computer classes suck.

Crest
May 18th, 2007, 07:28 PM
My School has a series of Custom built. AMD Athlon 64 3000+ comps
Runnng Xp Pro. with 1gb dualchannel ram and each with a Evga 7800 GT.

Con
May 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM
....... how do they afford that..

Crest
May 19th, 2007, 02:10 AM
....... how do they afford that..

I'm homeschooled... :D

Most are my comps. A few are my bros.

Not all have 7800's :)

Con
May 19th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Homeschooling sucks. rly.

Hotrod
May 19th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Agreed, you don't get to have a social life. Anyways, back onto topic. My school's computers have 3 Ghz Pentium 4s, 512 mbs of RAM and some not that great video cards. As for the classes themselves, not that great, just stuff like Corel Draw, Word and Excel...

Varmint260
May 20th, 2007, 01:11 AM
At my school, it's all P4s (lowest-end P4s) with 256MB RAM, integrated Intel video systems and crappy TV-style monitors. I swear, you can SEE these things refreshing (it's like watching an old TV through a video camera). Anyways, they were really expensive back in, like... 2000? Waste of money IMO...

Crest
May 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM

Depends on the Child, Homeschooling isn't good for Social Rainbow Colored butterflies. I hang with alot of my friends from my old school, and people I met off Counter-Strike, Halo PC, Xbox live, Age of empire actually and a few other games.

I don't feel confined, but I can't really make a proper statement since I'm the subject of it.

n00b1n8R
May 24th, 2007, 06:02 AM
my school has so many different computers it shits me.

even in a block, it goes from decent to it's taking it 5 seconds to register my keystrokes and display them (usualy in blocks of 7) on my screen..

thehoodedsmack
May 24th, 2007, 06:15 AM
I routinely get to incorporate Halo CE with my Computer Science assignments, so I'd say it's pretty good.

Apoc4lypse
May 26th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Our school's "top-a-da-line" PCs:

Intel 1.5 Ghz Single Core
256 MB RAM
16MB GFX Card
No sound
What I'm pretty sure is 10MB/s Ethernet

I, can't, go, on... *Cries*

I feel your pain -_-

basically the same thing except we have some shitty dell integrated gfx card setup going on all our pc's...

klange
May 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM
The best computer that has ever been in my school is my laptop...
You don't want to know what we have.
You don't want to know.

Cortexian
May 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I did get pictures of those lobsters, though I have no idea were the camera's memory card has run off to >.>

This is the only problem in our school, if you want a camera, you just pick it up, take the pictures you want, and then stick them on your account. Except our multimedia room is a disaster, so it's hard to find stuff...