PDA

View Full Version : Scenery not shading in lightmap

LlamaMaster
July 31st, 2011, 06:43 PM
I have a piece of scenery that refuses to take its lighting information from my lightmap. It shades the same half-bright color regardless of whether or not it's in a shadow, and I can't find any parameter in the scenery, model, shader, or bitmap tag that fixes it. I compared my tags to bungie's, but the only thing that looks different are the files used.

My scenery model is comprised of several planes with the same 2048x2048 transparent texture (compressed with explicit alpha) applied to each of them. The shader type used is shader_model.

LlamaMaster
August 2nd, 2011, 03:15 AM
Alright, I didn't expect anybody to be able to answer that question, but I'm hoping this next one should be easy.

How do I get my scenery model's brightness to shade independently of the sun? Depending on which side you view it on, it's either too bright and washed out, or too dark and bland. I'm guessing it has something to do with a multipurpose map, but I wanted to run it by you guys before I dive into all that crap.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3122/unleddov.jpg

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/1892/unled2te.jpg

Higuy
August 2nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
That looks like you probably did the multipurpose wrong. Maybe try taking the multi out of the shaders and see if it looks... more normal.

neuro
August 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
there is NO excuse to use a 2k map for that.

LlamaMaster
August 2nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
there is NO excuse to use a 2k map for that.

I'm not stupid; that is a different scenery object than the first post. The bitmap on that is much smaller.

That looks like you probably did the multipurpose wrong. Maybe try taking the multi out of the shaders and see if it looks... more normal.

I didn't make any multipurpose map at all, so those pictures were taken without any multipurpose map applied.

Higuy
August 2nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
Uh, well is the material color in the the shader set to purple, or is the texture purple itself (or is it supposed to be purple..?)?

LlamaMaster
August 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Material color isn't set to anything, and the texture is purple. It's not the color causing the issue though, because all my custom scenery is displaying the same issue (with differing levels of severity). I don't have this issue when I place my scenery in putput.map (which doesn't have a sky), so the sky is definitely a contributing factor, but I don't see anything in the sky tag that fixes the weird shading (aside from removing the sun, which isn't an option). I guess I'll try my luck with multipurpose maps and see if that helps.

chrisk123999
August 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM
I'm thinking it's the fog in the sky tag. Also, are you using a shader model?

LlamaMaster
August 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Yes, I'm using shader_model. I can do away with sun-based illumination altogether by using shader_transparent_chicago, but I'm trying to avoid that. I'll check the fog and report back.

Edit: Okay, taking the fog down to 0.000001 eliminated the change in brightness from one side of the model to another, but now my map lacks any fog. I have no idea why those two things are connected, but I can't sacrifice fog for making a few models look pretty. Blarg.

chrisk123999
August 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
Do you have a fog plane on the map or just fog from the sky tag?

LlamaMaster
August 2nd, 2011, 10:34 PM
Just the sky tag.

Edit: I copied every parameter from every tag of a working Halo bush onto mine, and created a multipurpose map for my model. It did nothing to fix the problem. I can self-illuminate the model now to make the error less noticeable, but that's it. I think I'm going to have to use a shader_environment.

Edit 2: For fucks sake, self illumination for shader_environment on a scenery model doesn't work. I've exhausted every single idea I've had for getting this to work, and so far the only one that looks OKAY is using a shader_transparent_chicago (which has alpha problems that cause it to blend into itself). If I can't get this bush to look right, then a very major part of my project is doomed to look like trash.

Does anybody know somebody I could contact about this that knows a great deal about shaders?