PDA

View Full Version : Kinda shocked no one mentioned this: Rise of the Planet of the apes

=sw=warlord
August 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Film comes out over here next week and I've not seen anyone mention this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaK6khs8aMw

Limited
August 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Damn, looks good.

Although that part when he puts the chimp in the cage totally reminded me that this was a remake.

DarkHalo003
August 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I think it looks kind of unrealistic in a way. For one, the Heli pilot wouldn't be shooting a pistol at a guerilla, let alone a platoon of rampaging monkeys wouldn't go unpunished. It just seems to me like a Hollywood production is all. Yeah they're smart, but their just as easy to kill as everything else is, especially when they are bare-skinned and all it would take to kill them would be a group of Marines toting Assault Rifles or shotguns.

But for the more subtle and comprehensive parts of the movie, it looks pretty cool. Still, if this is about how Prime Apes take over the world, I'll be seriously disappointed. Oh and the police officers on the horses is incredibly cheesy. Just saying.

=sw=warlord
August 5th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I think it looks kind of unrealistic in a way. For one, :words:
You mean unrealistic like how a plasma pistol in Halo can disable a vehicle, or how a giant ring world is used to kill everything mean while protecting that which it was designed to kill?
Yeah unrealistic but entertaining none the less.
Realism! =/= entertainment.
Whilst we're on the subject of realism, how about we make every shot in Halo two shot kill?
I mean that's totally realistic right?

Donut
August 5th, 2011, 05:35 PM
youre blowing that out of proportion a little bit there warlord. we're talking about a movie based in the reality of humans and apes, two things that actually exist, versus a fictional world of humans and nonexistent covenant. well, as far as physical existence goes at least.

and you know, the fact that one is a video game and one is a movie.

Pooky
August 5th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Warlord, nothing you just posted has any relevance either to the topic at hand or the post you replied to.

OT: movie looks pretty good actually. Was thinking about going to see it, and I'm very rarely that interested in a movie.

=sw=warlord
August 5th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Warlord, nothing you just posted has any relevance either to the topic at hand or the post you replied to.

It had full relevance, he basicly just said herp it's not realistic therefore not entertaining.
If I wanted realism i would step outside, many people watch films for the unrealistic, to be entertained by things that would not happen in real life.

ODX
August 5th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Saw the trailer before HP: Part 2 at midnight, and it looked pretty cool.
The only thing I'm not liking is the title, mainly the repetition of "of." Dunno but it just sounds kinda weird.

Limited
August 5th, 2011, 06:52 PM
It had full relevance, he basicly just said herp it's not realistic therefore not entertaining.
If I wanted realism i would step outside, many people watch films for the unrealistic, to be entertained by things that would not happen in real life.
He never said Halo is trying to be realistic. The film is set in modern times, its an adoption of what is realistic.

Then again, Hollywood never is realistic, shooting a gas tank? Doesnt blow up irl, Hollywood it always blows up. Shooting an ape with a pistol is a powerful piece of filmography, it shows how un-prepared the man was, the fact that even though he has a gun, hes still weak.

DarkHalo003
August 5th, 2011, 08:12 PM
He never said Halo is trying to be realistic. The film is set in modern times, its an adoption of what is realistic.

Then again, Hollywood never is realistic, shooting a gas tank? Doesnt blow up irl, Hollywood it always blows up. Shooting an ape with a pistol is a powerful piece of filmography, it shows how un-prepared the man was, the fact that even though he has a gun, hes still weak.
Basically this, though if the apes aren't put down at some point in the film by a platoon of Marines using assault weapons, I'm probably just going to dismiss it as Hollywood nonsense.

@Warlord: Halo is entertaining BECAUSE its unrealistic. That's why I enjoy it. But in this movie where apes become highly intelligent and supposedly overthrow humanity, I better at least see them some how negating the effectively deadly weaponry humanity has created, such as automatic weapons.

=sw=warlord
August 5th, 2011, 08:34 PM
B
But in this movie where apes become highly intelligent and supposedly overthrow humanity, I better at least see them some how negating the effectively deadly weaponry humanity has created, such as automatic weapons.
You realize this is a prequel to the films where the apes were already the dominant species being highly advanced and such right?
In the planet of the apes, the humans were considered vermin whilst the apes were the society, orangutans being the politicians, chimps being scientists and such.
This movie serves as to explain why new york was how it was and how the apes came to power.
Complaining that this is unrealistic is as stupid as complaining that any other unrealistic Fictional product is unrealistic, it serves no purpose, if you want to know where this film fits in then look no further than the films that predate this one by several decades.

Limited
August 6th, 2011, 10:18 AM
You realize this is a prequel to the films where the apes were already the dominant species being highly advanced and such right?
In the planet of the apes, the humans were considered vermin whilst the apes were the society, orangutans being the politicians, chimps being scientists and such.
This movie serves as to explain why new york was how it was and how the apes came to power.
Complaining that this is unrealistic is as stupid as complaining that any other unrealistic Fictional product is unrealistic, it serves no purpose, if you want to know where this film fits in then look no further than the films that predate this one by several decades.
:lol: Clearly warlord has no idea what he is talking about, do some research next time. The film is set in San Francisco.

=sw=warlord
August 6th, 2011, 10:29 AM
:lol: Clearly warlord has no idea what he is talking about, do some research next time. The film is set in San Francisco.
Right, you apparently have no idea yourself.
Go watch the original film.

"Taylor and Nova follow the shoreline and eventually discover the truth that Dr. Zaius warned them about: Taylor stops the horse and dismounts, staring up in disbelief at an object not visible to the viewer. He approaches the object, finally descending into a fit of rage, screaming: "We finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you. God damn you all to hell!"A zoom out reveals the charred remnants of the Statue of Liberty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty), half-submerged in the shoreline, revealing that the planet was actually Earth the whole time, and that The Forbidden Zone was once New York City, destroyed, presumably, in a global nuclear war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_war)."
Herp derp, I'm limited and I don't look into what a prequel is a prequel for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Apes_(1968_film)

2190 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Apes_(1968_film))

Limited
August 6th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Read my OP, clearly states I've watched the original. This film does not 'explain what happened in NY', this is a remake of the original, though it is not set in NY and slightly deviates from the original - making it a reboot.

ShadowSpartan
August 6th, 2011, 11:16 AM
You realize that this a reboot and does not fit into the original film's universe right? Guess not, maybe you should go watch the original film's sequels.

"Running for their lives, Cornelius and Zira (assisted by Stephanie and Lewis) find shelter in a circus run by Señor Armando (Ricardo Montalbán), where an ape named Heloise has just had a baby. There Zira gives birth to a son, whom she names Milo (later known as Caesar)".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_the_Planet_of_the_Apes

How could Caesar be the son of Zira in the new movie when she does not even exist?

Masterz1337
August 6th, 2011, 11:23 AM
What has limited done to earn your disrespect, this community is far to small for people to go out of their way to make enemies?

This movie while from a different continuity shows how the apes rise to power in San Fransisco, and how they will rise to power around the world. I saw it last night, and I really liked it, just a well thought out well rounded well acted movie. Had the best story out of anything that's come out this summer so far too.

StankBacon
August 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
earth will be ruled by apes one day :o

Bodzilla
August 7th, 2011, 12:09 AM
What has limited done to earn your disrespect, this community is far to small for people to go out of their way to make enemies?

This movie while from a different continuity shows how the apes rise to power in San Fransisco, and how they will rise to power around the world. I saw it last night, and I really liked it, just a well thought out well rounded well acted movie. Had the best story out of anything that's come out this summer so far too.
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/images/buttons/redcard.gif

Kornman00
August 7th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes is such a goddamn mouth full.

Hmmm...ROTPOTA...Rot Potah...

I remember watching some POTA marathon back in the 90s...the original movies were some crazy stuff. Though, I'm still going to wait until this comes out on dvd/netflix.

TPBlinD
August 7th, 2011, 07:25 AM

This movie while from a different continuity shows how the apes rise to power in San Fransisco, and how they will rise to power around the world. I saw it last night, and I really liked it, just a well thought out well rounded well acted movie. Had the best story out of anything that's come out this summer so far too.the fowls werent fowls

annihilation
August 7th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes is such a goddamn mouth full.

Hmmm...ROTPOTA...Rot Potah...

I remember watching some POTA marathon back in the 90s...the original movies were some crazy stuff. Though, I'm still going to wait until this comes out on dvd/netflix.

I just say Planet of the Apes. Most people know what I'm talking about.

Kornman00
August 7th, 2011, 04:18 PM
BUT WHICH ONE ARE YOU TALKING ABOOT :mad:?