PDA

View Full Version : London Riots - WE DIDNT START THE FIRE, IT WAS ALWAYS BURNING SINCE THE WORLDS BEEN T

n00b1n8R
August 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'm watching the news break here (http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/597007), anybody got some good articles?

NullZero
August 8th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Idk about articles, but Reuters and BBC news are giving good coverage on this.

Really, it's just rebellious hooliganism.

TVTyrant
August 8th, 2011, 05:41 PM
A cocaine dealer was killed by the police, oh no! Better riot!

JackalStomper
August 8th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Waiting in line to loot a place?
1:00 for anyone too impatient to watch the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAII_KuXfsE

NullZero
August 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Massive fire at Enfield's Sony Distribution Centre, jeez.

Rainbow Dash
August 8th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Our planet is facing the greatest problems it's ever faced, ever. So whatever you do, don't be bored, this is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive. And things are just starting

Cortexian
August 9th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Seems like London needs a lesson in rioting from Vancouver.

ODX
August 9th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Man, this place is so well suited for the Olympics in a year!

Can't wait!

Limited
August 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Seems like London needs a lesson in rioting from Vancouver.
Um why? Riots spanning 4 nights, spanning miles across the city?

Its awful, yes the looters are arseholes that will steal for any reason, but I'm more worried about the fires being started, a women witnessed a kid throw a firebomb into the shop below where she lived, it burnt down all 4 stories. Could have easily killed multiple people.

Turns out he did not shoot at police before they shot him =\

Elderly man who confronted rioting mob and tried to put out fire they lit fights for life after beating

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024217/London-Ealing-riots-Elderly-man-confronted-mob-fights-life-beating.html

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024217/London-Ealing-riots-Elderly-man-confronted-mob-fights-life-beating.html)Awful

Edit:
Sporadic disorder and looting have been reported in Birmingham, Wolverhampton, West Bromwichand Manchester tonight - although police appear to be containing the unrest so far.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024203/UK-riots-flare-Manchester-Birmingham-London-s-FOURTH-night-violence.html
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024203/UK-riots-flare-Manchester-Birmingham-London-s-FOURTH-night-violence.html)
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/09/article-2024203-0D5EF66400000578-615_470x728.jpg
Lol, kid running with a bottle of wine.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/09/article-2024203-0D5EFEA800000578-844_964x636.jpg
Sikhs protecting their temple.

Heres a link that shows places attacked (and mostly burnt down) before and after attacks, shocking images...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14461868

2236:

A police station in Nottingham has been firebombed by a group of 30 to 40 men, according to Nottinghamshire Police. No injuries were reported.

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14461868)

TeeKup
August 10th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Why the fuck is this happening again?

Guardian
August 10th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Isn't it because some one got killed?

Patrickssj6
August 10th, 2011, 05:50 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/09/article-2024203-0D5EF66400000578-615_470x728.jpg

The guy on the left...could be a new trailer for a new batman movie :D

sleepy1212
August 10th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Why the fuck is this happening again?

the cops shot a gangsta

Amit
August 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I found this to be a particularly powerful image:

http://i.imgur.com/mmXzV.jpg

I don't know about small business, but business nonetheless, not government.

Limited
August 10th, 2011, 12:19 PM
You cannot reason with these people, they are mindless thugs. They have no respect for authority, a kid rioter was interviewed on tv, asked why he was doing it and he replied with "cuz they nick us for small tings".

3 Chinese people died last night, after someone ran them over in a car whilst they were protecting their business/house.

i1b74BdPfSQ
Love it, to be crystal clear yes I support the police using force to warn off rioters.

StankBacon
August 10th, 2011, 03:11 PM
http://bacon.modacity.net/img/images/apes.jpg

DarkHalo003
August 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM
So who here posting besides Limited is actually FROM Britain?

TeeKup
August 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I just realized I have a really close friend in Great Britain right now....I hope he's alright.

thehoodedsmack
August 10th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I've heard a rather apt comparison, that these riots are much more akin to the 1992 LA riots than they are to the recent middle-eastern civil unrest. I'm more with Limited than NVOUS this time. NVOUS, if you really believe that violent protest is the "next logical step", then I don't see how you can be upset that a government would use force to maintain its order against what would then be classified as a rebellion, if not politically motivated terrorism.

If I recall (and I do), Gandhi made a great deal of difference in more than one country without ever getting violent. If people would really like to see a change in Europe or the Americas, then I'd suggest they get smart about their plan of attack. This event is a horrible springboard for any type of socioeconomic movement.

Limited
August 10th, 2011, 04:37 PM
6SHKhvVjLIc

It certainly does make put England in good light considering we host the Olympics next year, sure this is a different situation and rioting has always been hard to control, we attempt to use kettling and the police get ripped for it.

=sw=warlord
August 10th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Before you two clowns embarrass yourselves any further.
These riots were predicted over 30 years ago.
The issue at hand is a "us and them" dilemma.

The reason these thugs even exist is;
A: they've not had proper discipline instilled into them

B: they're following a "fuck you got mine" attitude to everything.

C: the government's [aka the parties in power over the past 30 years] have loosend their grip, with that they've effectively left themselves and us open to this kind of thing.

D: frustration over current situations, economics, energy, resources.
All of which was predicted 30 years ago.
I'll quote a book I've had for nearly 10 years which was published in the 80's.

"The need for energy; We need plentiful energy to combat poverty.
It will help people keep warm, keep clean, cook food, run industries and make things.
"Power consumption and standards of living go hand in hand", the eminent American scientist, Professor Gerard O'Neill believes, "Whether the turn of the century finds our civilization in a downward slides towards poverty, accompanied by warfare over remaining energy source or at the dawn of a better age will depend on our developing sources of energy for earth."
The book was authored by Robin McKie back in 1984.

Whether these riots are directly related to the guys death or not is irrelevant, this would have happened sooner or later.
There have seen several riots over the past years and they have all been related to economy [jobs and energy prices], jobs or lack of, and education fees which again comes down to economy.
What this really reminds is the reichstag fire.
T (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire)he sooner this is taken control off, the sooner the problems everyone faces is worked upon, the sooner we can go back to living peaceful lives.
The issue is, once the riots are over, no one will remember why it started and what the problems are that preceded to the riots.

@Dark; I'm up in Lincolnshire, luckily where I live is pretty isolated from any major cities.

TL,DR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxQX9fYf2aI&feature=player_detailpage#t=70 s

NullZero
August 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
So who here posting besides Limited is actually FROM Britain?
Second post, i.e. mine, lol.

IMO, although I cannot empathise with their views, I'd say that it's partly that they feel alienated by the government (they don't feel like the government is helping them), partly because they feel rebellious (thrill seeking), and partly because they want the loot.

Believing that there is one instigator is just Grade-A retarded.

Limited
August 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Second post, i.e. mine, lol.

IMO, although I cannot empathise with their views, I'd say that it's partly that they feel alienated by the government (they don't feel like the government is helping them), partly because they feel rebellious (thrill seeking), and partly because they want the loot.

Believing that there is one instigator is just Grade-A retarded.
There is no political motive at all, they are not attacking government buildings, they (were) not attacking police and the majority are not. What they are attacking is shoe shops, electronic stores and setting fire to pretty much whatever they want and stealing whatever they can carry.

Bring on teargas and water canons is what I say.

NullZero
August 10th, 2011, 05:36 PM
There is no political motive at all, they are not attacking government buildings, they (were) not attacking police and the majority are not. What they are attacking is shoe shops, electronic stores and setting fire to pretty much whatever they want and stealing whatever they can carry.

Bring on teargas and water canons is what I say.
I don't believe they are trying to make a point through attacking the source itself, but by pointing out the mass crime they are committing, to show how deprived they are. In a way, they are mocking the government system.

Police buildings and government buildings are quite secure. Don't expect coordinated, planned attacks against them from these lower-class citizens (generalisation alert!).
Also, police fights back, empty shops don't.

Limited
August 10th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Okay lets clear some facts up. How did this start? The family of the shot man went to the police station and asked for answers, they waited 4 hours and decided to give up as they knew they wouldnt get anywhere (which is one mess up by The Met), people around them waiting set 2 police cars on fire. They then started using blackberrys to communicate and thats when the chaos started in the streets and then it escalated from there.

Its been proven already that they are calculating what targets to attack, they are chatting on social networking sites about what the best targets are for shoes, tv etc.

I feel the kids don't feel they have a good connection with the police and simply feel they have no place in society and feel they have nothing to lose, they have no confidence in the police or the government - I personally have lost all faith in the government too. A looter has been quoted as saying he will continue until he gets arrested. They are bored and this is recreational looting for personal gain.

3 police commissioners in 4 years? Doesn't take a genius to work out theres clearly a problem going on there.

DarkHalo003
August 10th, 2011, 07:33 PM
The fact that militant groups over mass media are calling for an overthrow of a functional government (YES IT IS FUNCTIONAL COMPARED TO MOST OF THE WORLD) is indication that some of these rioters should not be respected. You don't riot in the streets and harm citizens defending their property to change a government. You may riot in the streets in front of a government building and display much distaste and disrespect for the government, but attacking civilians and stealing their property is fair game for governmental intervention.

@Limited: It's sad because kids generally think the police as "The Man" who they can jokingly disrespect and mess with because the jokes manifest that behavior. For example, giving the police disrespectful names and mocking them with those names seems like a small ways for amusement, but when it gets down to the people whom these children look up to taking the disrespect to a level of inconsiderate rioting, well, it should be apparent they're going to follow their "role-models."

Of course, this is generally speaking. I don't live in the UK, so I can't speak for that situation specifically, but humanitarian-wise it's all relevant. Rioters causing damage to property of law-abiding civilians need to be stopped. If they really want something to change then they can go through a similar process (or at least government aimed only) to what normal citizens do. It's just insanity out there for some of these people, not to mention widespread fear for many other citizens.

Limited
August 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM
p39ULW_xzUE
What a fool.

In bleak times, glad us Brits havent lost our sense of humour...
Anarchy in Scotland
EW0356brnrE

Also, Malloy lives 10 miles away from the riots.

sleepy1212
August 11th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I've heard a rather apt comparison, that these riots are much more akin to the 1992 LA riots

Pretty much. They destroyed their own community, wrecked their neighbors shops, and beat and killed innocent bystanders.

Amit
August 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Pretty much. They destroyed their own community, wrecked their neighbors shops, and beat and killed innocent bystanders.

Sounds like Vancouver, except with killing.

TVTyrant
August 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Well 1992 the police did a much better job of containing the violence. The riots ended because the South-Central community realized that all they had done was destroyed their own property. It seems to me that the British government has done a very poor job containing these events. It also seems that the sentiments are more pointed towards the class system that exists across all of Europe (pretty much the leftovers of Feudalism), which I agree with Selentic somewhat, makes this more than what it seems.

DarkHalo003
August 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Having mass media to fuel the flames also makes it pretty difficult to contain. It's like having a fire that you can't extinguish because it keeps blowing over from another forest fire nearby.

Rainbow Dash
August 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Zmo8DG1gno4

king_nothing_
August 11th, 2011, 10:51 PM
You don't riot in the streets and harm citizens defending their property to change a government. You may riot in the streets in front of a government building and display much distaste and disrespect for the government, but attacking civilians and stealing their property is fair game for governmental intervention.
I have to say I agree. Even most staunch libertarians will tell you that the state has the responsibility to protect individuals from aggression and theft. These rioters may or may not have a legitimate reason to be angry at the government. I don't know. It doesn't really matter though, because that has nothing to do with attacking citizens and private businesses. I'm not sure why anyone, aside from a full-fledged anarchist, would support that. What exactly is the argument there? They should have a free pass to commit acts of aggression and theft against fellow citizens as long as they have a legitimate reason to be angry...at the government? Huh?

RedBaron
August 11th, 2011, 11:11 PM
What exactly is the argument there? They should have a free pass to commit acts of aggression and theft against fellow citizens as long as they have a legitimate reason to be angry...at the government? Huh?

Basically This. I am not a Brit, so I have not experienced the government's short comings. However, the rioters have no right looting and destroying the local businesses. The only people who are getting hurt are their fellow citizens, who suffer from the economic hardship all the same. The rioters have basically muddied up their chance for improvement even further.

Rainbow Dash
August 11th, 2011, 11:22 PM
They should have a free pass to commit acts of aggression and theft against fellow citizens as long as they have a legitimate reason to be angry...at the government? Huh?

I'd tend to agree with this, but who here is suggesting otherwise?

and I swear to god if anyone says me, you should shoot yourself or re read my posts, since you obviously missed my point.

Bodzilla
August 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM
just because i dont believe in police roaming the streets and beating the crap outta people doesnt mean i support rioting, burning down buildings and looting.

king_nothing_
August 12th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I'd tend to agree with this, but who here is suggesting otherwise?

and I swear to god if anyone says me, you should shoot yourself or re read my posts, since you obviously missed my point.
Were you or were you not sympathizing with the rioters and disagreeing with everyone who said they should be stopped and arrested?

It really doesn't matter to me if they are "mindless thugs" or political activists. They are committing acts of aggression, theft, and destruction of property against innocent civilians and private businesses. Those who are doing those things should be arrested regardless of their motivation. If some are in fact political activists, they're pretty stupid ones because there is a major disconnect between their actions and the source of their anger.

AmyG
August 12th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Many youths today are aggressive when it comes to political issues. Well, it's one good thing knowing that they are aware of it. But, aggressiveness is not the solution to the problem as it will only creates violence just like what's happening in London. Scotland Yard and all of London are on alert after strong unrest from the murder of an assumed criminal by a Scotland Yard officer has boiled over into rioting and looting. Article resource: Weekend of London riots leaves city devastated by looting (http://www.newsytype.com/9844-london-riots/).

ThePlague
August 12th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Not sure if spam, or very articulate person...

Rainbow Dash
August 12th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Were you or were you not sympathizing with the rioters and disagreeing with everyone who said they should be stopped and arrested?

It really doesn't matter to me if they are "mindless thugs" or political activists. They are committing acts of aggression, theft, and destruction of property against innocent civilians and private businesses. Those who are doing those things should be arrested regardless of their motivation. If some are in fact political activists, they're pretty stupid ones because there is a major disconnect between their actions and the source of their anger.

No, the point I was trying to make was more that the government was to blame for letting the society degenerate into this mess in the first place, and simply beating them into submission with whatever force "necessary" is about as far from a good, and long term solution as you can get.

DarkHalo003
August 12th, 2011, 08:58 AM
No, the point I was trying to make was more that the government was to blame for letting the society degenerate into this mess in the first place, and simply beating them into submission with whatever force "necessary" is about as far from a good, and long term solution as you can get.
Uh what? Last time I checked, we control ourselves, not the government. Anyone can go ballistic and start car fires. If you ask me, it's more like the rioters weren't raised right growing up.

sleepy1212
August 12th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I agree that the government deserves insurrection if they prove to be incompetent, irresponsible, or malicious. I totally disagree with the man in the video who claimed destroying their own community is the only way to get noticed. Storm parliament if you're that angry. Otherwise it appears to simply be a tantrum.

Rainbow Dash
August 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I agree entirely, the riot was, for the most part, fucking idiotic. They had a chance to do something directed at the government, and instead decided to demolish their neighborhoods.

DarkHalo003
August 12th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I agree entirely, the riot was, for the most part, fucking idiotic. They had a chance to do something directed at the government, and instead decided to demolish their neighborhoods.
I agree with this, which is what I was trying to say (if I didn't) earlier. But I don't think all blame should be shelved on the government. People are just crazy. In Psychology, rioting is an extreme manifestation of deindividuation/groupthink where some people simply become blindly absorbed into others' causes. In this case, it wouldn't have mattered if the government could have prevented it simply because the people who started the riots were freaking crazy. Yeah, the police didn't work to your expectations. Does that justify starting car fires and mobs? I think not.

Warsaw
August 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Just thought I'd point this out: there is a huge difference between a rebellion and a riot. The former is organized, the latter is not. The former has a goal, the latter does not. An insurrection sits right between the two, being a riot with a goal.

At least, that's the way I see it. Riots are crazies spurring others into joining them, but they are never meant to achieve anything other than chaos.

TVTyrant
August 12th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Just thought I'd point this out: there is a huge difference between a rebellion and a riot. The former is organized, the latter is not. The former has a goal, the latter does not. An insurrection sits right between the two, being a riot with a goal.

At least, that's the way I see it. Riots are crazies spurring others into joining them, but they are never meant to achieve anything other than chaos.
You hit the nail on the head with this one. Had they been organized in any way it could have led to the European summer. But it wasnt, and now the idea of mass social reform in Europe will dissipate for a while.

Rainbow Dash
August 12th, 2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/13/world/europe/13britain.html?_r=1&hp

“For too long we’ve taken too soft an attitude towards people that loot and pillage their own community,” Mr. Cameron told a BBC interviewer. “If you do that, you should lose your right to the sort of housing that you’ve had at subsidized rates.” He added that evictions “might help break up some of the criminal networks on some housing estates if some of these people are thrown out of their houses.”
Asked whether that would render them homeless, he replied, “They should have thought of that before they started burgling.”

Jesus christ

Yeah now making these already incredibly poor and hard off people homeless will totally solve the problem, they won't riot again for sure!

Amit
August 13th, 2011, 01:19 AM
They got nowhere to go? They don't give a fuck? They'll start a civil war between classes...

Warsaw
August 13th, 2011, 01:56 AM
You won't get a civil war without a ringleader. Ringleaders come from the middle or upper classes, since they have the time to worry about seeing the big picture as they don't have to fret over putting food on the table every night.

Patrickssj6
August 13th, 2011, 05:55 AM
War between classes in Europe is as common as the sunrise...you don't need a leader, you just need a group and there are enough of them. In the beginning, a leader is not important, later on though yes.

it's not always easy to tell what political group they belong to. just found this yesterday.
-ghmXTFHO28

Limited
August 13th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I'm glad they are getting their benefits removed.

Rainbow Dash
August 13th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I bet there's plenty of rich folks saying the same thing about people like you :downs:

Warsaw
August 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM
War between classes in Europe is as common as the sunrise...you don't need a leader, you just need a group and there are enough of them. In the beginning, a leader is not important, later on though yes.

it's not always easy to tell what political group they belong to. just found this yesterday.
-ghmXTFHO28

I'm aware and there has always been a ringleader in every civil war-one for each faction. Whether or not he was famous or infamous is another matter entirely. The "beginning" may or may not be a riot. Riots of civil unrest and how they are dealt can spark revolution and civil war, but they are not themselves a part of it. Now, if a riot happens during the war, then it is irrelevant because a civil war is already in progress.

Rioting != Civil War.

Patrickssj6
August 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah I was talking about rioting and not a civil war because that's what this topic is about :P

Higuy
August 13th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Cameron sounds like an idiot, taking away there homes give's them an extremely way better reason to riot than just a guy being shot, hell it even backs up some of the stuff the people were saying before (I think Selentic posted a vid of some dude talking about it).

I'm figuring this isn't going to end well at all.

Warsaw
August 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah I was talking about rioting and not a civil war because that's what this topic is about :P

Touché. Though there are those attempting to defend this event by calling it a popular uprising (insurrection/rebellion ---> civil war) when in reality it's chaos for the sake of chaos. I think we are on two pages of the same book.

n00b1n8R
August 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Lets make these poor idiots homeless, that will calm them down!
ok

Limited
August 13th, 2011, 08:12 PM
ok
A letter from Wandsworth Council, signed by deputy housing manager Tom Crawley, to Ms de la Calva, a former professional dancer who has lived in Britain since 1986, says Daniel’s alleged behaviour may mean the family have breached their tenancy conditions under the Housing Act 1985.
The conditions state that no one living at the property should ‘do anything which causes or is likely to cause a nuisance’ or commit ‘an arrestable offence’. It also points out that the family is £1,806.09 in arrears with their rent.

The people they are forcing out are council housing tenants. In the example I posted above, the tenant agreement clearly states the housing act 1986 and that they may have breached it.

Forcing them out is a little harsh yes, but they need to know there are consequences to breaking the law.

When The Mail on Sunday tried to question Twitter and the makers of BlackBerry phones about the sinister use of their technology, Twitter’s chief executive mocked us and a journalist was forcefully told to leave BlackBerry’s HQ.

Their apparent refusal to co-operate follows David Cameron suggesting moves to ‘stop people communicating’ via social media ‘when we know they are plotting violence, disorder and criminality’.

:D

PlasbianX
August 13th, 2011, 08:27 PM
The whole world ending in 2012 thing seems a bit more realistic with all the shit going down lately.

Higuy
August 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Forcing them out is a little harsh yes, but they need to know there are consequences to breaking the law.

I'm pretty sure some governments have things called "cops", "riot control", and "military" to take care of things like this..

Forcing poor people from their homes is pretty retarded. Seeing how big these riots are, it seems like your probably going to see some new homeless folk around London, and its not helping the actual government look any better either...

DarkHalo003
August 13th, 2011, 10:31 PM
The whole world ending in 2012 thing seems a bit more realistic with all the shit going down lately.
Nah, stuff like this has been happening for centuries. This wouldn't be the first time the world has been predicted to end and then a lot of bad stuff happens before the supposed Armageddon would occur.

I honestly don't know what to think about this. The government is doing a mediocre job and the rioters are hardly coming to a resolution. I'm concerned this will end very badly.

Pooky
August 13th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I'm not gonna go too much into the argument here, as I haven't been keeping well enough informed. However I will say, forcing poor people out of their homes because they were rioting is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard of and I can't possibly imagine why anyone would defend it.

Patrickssj6
August 14th, 2011, 05:16 AM
but what about dem fucking the system :P
nG-XWBVdonQ

TeeKup
August 14th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I just lol'd so fucking hard. Thank you pat.

Warsaw
August 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Ha ha, that's classic.

Limited
August 17th, 2011, 06:35 AM
So two men in their early 20s have been given 4 year jail sentences for inciting rioting on Facebook. The. Posts dididnt lead to any action and they themselves didnt riot but still interesting cases.

So far it's the highest sentence given out, but they haven't had any real serious ones yet. Someone got 6 months for stealing a few bottles of water.

And before you think they are crazy sentences, over 200,000 people have signed a petition to get parliament to look into giving rioters harsher sentences.

Bodzilla
August 17th, 2011, 07:44 AM
inciting rioting on facebooks, is worth 4 years in jail.

you have got to be fucking kidding me.

Patrickssj6
August 17th, 2011, 08:47 AM
sounds very unlikely to me

Rainbow Dash
August 17th, 2011, 09:28 AM
And before you think they are crazy sentences, over 200,000 people have signed a petition to get parliament to look into giving rioters harsher sentences.

Must be useful for you guys to have the names of 200,000 retarded people written down somewhere like that xd

Limited
August 17th, 2011, 09:53 AM
sounds very unlikely to me
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026755/Manchester-Facebook-riot-inciters-Perry-Sutcliffe-Jordan-Blackshaw-jailed-4-years.html

I agree 4 years is a lot, tbh I think a few months would have been good enough. Will be interesting to see how much time the people get who have murdered people/attempted murder/arson.

NVOUS, you clearly don't understand what the current British justice system is like, they would probably have just had a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again.

Rainbow Dash
August 17th, 2011, 10:01 AM
So obviously the brilliant alternative is to hand out thousands upon thousands of ridiculous sentences and build some new mega prisons for everyone, because that worked in the US!

Patrickssj6
August 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I agree 4 years is a lot, tbh I think a few months would have been good enough.

No wonder your country is going down the drain...

If you are in a fight with someone and he shouts "I AM GOING TO KILL YOU"...you think for that he should get a year in prison?

Justice 101: If someone is motivating people to rioting, policemen have to be ready and only THEN you can arrest them RIGHT BEFORE they are actually doing it.

Higuy
August 17th, 2011, 01:53 PM
6 months in prison for stealing a couple bottles of water... what the fuck is wrong with your government?

TVTyrant
August 17th, 2011, 05:39 PM
So two men in their early 20s have been given 4 year jail sentences for inciting rioting on Facebook. The. Posts dididnt lead to any action and they themselves didnt riot but still interesting cases.

So far it's the highest sentence given out, but they haven't had any real serious ones yet. Someone got 6 months for stealing a few bottles of water.

Sounds like literally the craziest and most rights defying thing I've ever heard of.

Pooky
August 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Limited I have nothing against you personally but I have to say I've been absolutely disgusted by virtually every one of your posts in this thread.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TeeKup
August 17th, 2011, 08:38 PM
V for Vendetta government much? lol?

Rainbow Dash
August 17th, 2011, 08:57 PM

Tonight, I give you my most solemn vow: that justice will be swift, it will be righteous, and it will be without mercy.

=sw=warlord
August 17th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Lol (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?23722-London-Riots-WE-DIDNT-START-THE-FIRE-IT-WAS-ALWAYS-BURNING-SINCE-THE-WORLDS-BEEN-T&p=590334&viewfull=1#post590334)

TVTyrant
August 17th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Currently placing an order for Guy Fawkes masks...

Limited
August 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Limited I have nothing against you personally but I have to say I've been absolutely disgusted by virtually every one of your posts in this thread.
Noted, but quite frankly I dont care. Only about 4 people in this thread actually have to put up with these scum. Its easy to gaze through the looking glass.

I read somewhere that some high profile person said extreme actions requires extreme consequences and to an extend I feel that is true. Its been widely publicized that if you robbed a shop the day before the riots, you would get a low sentence, during the days of the riots you would have that sentence boosted considerably. Its because the situation it occurred and when it happened - because it was a riot.

How is this breaking their rights? Do they have a right to a fair trial? Yes..the trials ARE fair...they are convicted and most of them are pleading guilty. The only change is the severity of the sentencing, which is up to the judge.

The government makes the laws, the police..police the laws and make the arrests, and the judges...judge the law and provide sentencing. Magistrates are independent from the government.

Edit: A 21-year-old man from Virginia was sentenced in February to 25 years in prison for publishing the home addresses of the South Park creators.

...what? 25 years?

Rainbow Dash
August 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Noted, but quite frankly I dont care. Only about 4 people in this thread actually have to put up with these scum. Its easy to gaze through the looking glass.

This is hilariously hypocritical.

In this entire thread you just keep spewing what the news told you, and considering during the duration of the entire riot you were here happily going, " OH THEYRE ALL DRUNK DISRESPECTFUL SCUM CUZ THATS WHAT BBC TOLD ME LOL", instead of any first person evidence.

and

If they were as bad as you(r news) insist(s) had you been anywhere near these riots the last thing you'd have been doing if you had an ounce of sense was posting on an internet forum quoting news articles.

So shut the fuck up, just living in the uk doesn't give you any special superiority of opinion or something.

Limited
August 20th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Malloy LIVES in the area that was affected, it is literally his doorstep. I talked to him greatly about what was going on.

First person evidence? Why do I need first person evidence when there is thousands of video footage. Footage has just been released of a gun shooting at police, and then proceeding to shoot at a police helicopter. Yes they are only snippets of what was going on, but how can someone caught on camera shooting at a police helicopter be twisted into propaganda? You may not understand the severity of shootings over here - here shootings are like the worst. You know the shit is hitting the fan when theres shooting involved.

That is not hypocrisy. Your saying I don't have chavs anywhere I live? You don't even know me. Theres a council estate a mile away from where I live. That is where all the drug dealers live and all the yobs live.

Also I pay taxes, therefore I do have to put up with their shit. They have benefits? Yeah my part of my tax money will go into that pot. Police? Yeah I pay my taxes to pay for the police, ambulance, fire brigade. Just because I am not directly affected does not mean I am not indirectly affected.

Rosco
August 20th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I stole stuff because I'm sticking it to the rich people

Jokes aside maybe if the youths involved actually worked hard in school to achieve good grades there would be no need to moan about being jobless and being stepped on by higher classed members of society. The cause has been completely broken because kids are joining in for the lure of free stuff, the people that are protesting for a reason are being shadowed, as the media will only mock and interview the potato brains in the situation.