PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Vista competition

MissnL1nK
May 12th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Is there anyone was is looking forward to competing in Halo2 Vista? My team is debating competing in this game but we don't want to move to a game that is going to die out immediately.

Anyone have an opinion on this one?

demonmaster3k
May 12th, 2007, 07:24 AM
modding tools look awesome, more professional than the original HEK, there's just a few things i don't like:

no singleplayer support (now we have to wait for prometheus)
achievements are restricted to live gold users
the game's pretty much left in it's bare state since 2004, not much has changed besides 2 new levels, and shader/gfx changes... cmon, on the advent of halo 3, you'd think they'd at least give us something a little more to start with (in hpc we got 1 custom weap and 1 preview weap... better than the box version)

that ends my complaints

hopefully modders make the experience better... i'm pretty hopeful about the teams hosted in this forum

Digikid
May 12th, 2007, 08:00 AM
"Waits for Sparkedit H2V and the new and improved Log mods*

LOL!!!!!!!

Snowy
May 12th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I'd like to play Halo 2 Vista with a team, and have scrims and stuff... Don't have Vista though, but I'd like it.

Digikid
May 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Vista is not that expensive if you get the OEM Versions.

TheGhost
May 12th, 2007, 12:22 PM
My team is debating competing in this game but we don't want to move to a game that is going to die out immediately.
If HaloPC is any indication, this game will last for several years, even after Halo 3 comes out.

mined
May 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM
My team is debating competing in this game but we don't want to move to a game that is going to die out immediately.

The rhetoric over the H2V problems that you have seen on this sight over the past couple of days should be no indication of how well H2V will take off for average players. The complaints are almost exclusively from modders who's interests are being limited. I am sure there is a large part of the HaloPC community that could careless about what we have complained about recently. I predict that there will be plenty of players out there to compete against.

DTS 7.1
May 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Vista is not that expensive if you get the OEM Versions.

Bad, Bad idea. The license for OEM is MUCH different for Vista than XP. If you change your MB or other major component, the TPM code will change and that license is DEACTIVATED. You cannot use it on another machine. OEM is meant for system builders.

To save money and have a VISTA license that you can take with you if you change hardware, get the Retail Upgrade. I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade for 250 bucks off Windows Marketplace, and just did the full install. The retail will let you install it on more than one machine as long it's only on one at a time.

Amit
May 12th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Since when does this "Upgrade" version support full install? You mean clean install right?

DTS 7.1
May 12th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Full Install, Clean Install, whatever term you want to use. I myself have never used an upgrade disc to upgrade, because upgrading is always the worst way to go.

mined
May 12th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Bad, Bad idea. The license for OEM is MUCH different for Vista than XP. If you change your MB or other major component, the TPM code will change and that license is DEACTIVATED. You cannot use it on another machine. OEM is meant for system builders.

Wrong. I procured my copy of Vista home premium through my office at work. We recently bought new work stations that came with Vista installed on them. Due to the usability issues with some of the programs that we use (SketchupPRO etc.), we did a clean install with XP pro before we ever had a chance to activate Vista. Since it was unused, I was allowed to take the Vista OEM disk home with me and install it on my computer. Of course when I installed the OS on my home system, it did not activate. I simply called up Microsoft, told them exactly what I had done and assured them that my copy of Vista was installed on only one computer. They complied by issuing me a new activation code without any problems. PLUS, two weeks later I ended up upgrading my MB and Processor. As you would expect, the activation was no longer valid. No problem. I simply called them again, explained what I had done, and they again gave me an activation code after I assured them that my copy of the OS was in use on only one computer.

DTS 7.1
May 12th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Read Below
[/URL]
[URL]http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html (http://www.thepcspy.com/blog/vista_oem_vs_retail)

What's missing from the OEM version?

When you buy OEM, you need to understand what you're getting.
OEM editions of Windows don't come in pretty boxes, nor do they include manuals. Of course, a real "manual" has never shipped with Windows, and chances are, if you're interested in OEM software, you don't need what passes for a manual these days, anyway. And the pretty box... well, that's not really worth much anyway, is it? Rest assured, though: the software on the disc is the same as that found in any retail edition.
There are some gotchas, though. OEM software cannot be returned once opened. There are no exceptions. You open it, you've bought it.
OEM software is also tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. Unlike the retail versions of Windows which can be transferred to a new computer, OEM versions are not transferable. What about upgrading hardware? Microsoft says that anything is fair game, except the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard in a computer results in a "new personal computer," which the company considers to be synonymous with a transfer. It's not permitted with an OEM edition of Windows.
Nevertheless, I've known users who got around this limitation by calling Microsoft and reporting that their motherboards died when they wanted to build a new computer. It is Microsoft's policy to allow motherboard swaps in instances where a system is defective or has suffered a hardware failure. But you shouldn't bank on this approach; there's no guarantee it will work and, well, liars don't get ice cream. Also, while retail versions of Vista include both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, OEM versions are specific. You get one or the other. This follows from the per device restriction. The end result is that OEM versions may not be that attractive to users who frequently build new computers from the ground up.

mined
May 12th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Well, that was one tech-writer's opinion on the matter. I assure you that I was completely up front with the Microsoft call center about what I was doing. Both times. When I replaced my motherboard, I did not say that it was burnt out. I told them that I had upgraded it, just like I had done. All they needed to know was that it was only being used on one computer. I would like to reiterate that the OEM version had not been activated on the original machine, however. Perhaps, in this age of IP piracy, it is hard to believe that honesty can get you any where with a company like Microsoft, but apparently it does.

DTS 7.1
May 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM
That's not a tech writer's opinion. It's what MS explicitly states. Initially, Vista Retail was going to have the same restriction as OEM, until the PC enthusiast userbase lost their minds and told MS to go screw. (Believe me, I was one of them) They actually listened and relaxed it for retail.

You were successful, and you got lucky to be honest. The next time you switch, and the friendly tech asks you for a credit card...you can't do a thing about it because it's an OEM copy.

Do some searches and read up about OEM VS Retail.

XP had the same restriction, but the EULA had a giant loophole in it, so they couldn't enforce it.

mined
May 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM
That's not a tech writer's opinion. It's what MS explicitly states.

True, perhaps. Honestly I have not taken the time to read the EULA in its entirety.

Initially, Vista Retail was going to have the same restriction as OEM, until the PC enthusiast userbase lost their minds and told MS to go screw. (Believe me, I was one of them) They actually listened and relaxed it for retail.

If you were a part of that, I guess I owe you a "thank you" in advance, because I will eventually be buying an additional copy of Vista for my laptop.

You were successful, and you got lucky to be honest. The next time you switch, and the friendly tech asks you for a credit card...you can't do a thing about it because it's an OEM copy.

Do some searches and read up about OEM VS Retail.

XP had the same restriction, but the EULA had a giant loophole in it, so they couldn't enforce it.

Look, I was not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone here. Whether I got lucky or not, I have an OEM version of Vista on my PC that was authorized with a code that came straight from the horse's mouth without some bullshit story.

You were making a statement about the OEM version of Vista to someone as if it were 100% truth. In my experience that was not the case. Don't you think that if someone is considering a purchase they would like to have the full story? Well, now I suppose they do.

BTW, Although I recognize you from GBX, I don't believe we have ever shared words in a thread. So, nice to meet you.

DTS 7.1
May 12th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Nice to meet you as well, don't take it as a pissing contest. Context is hard to deliver via forum.

Ask anyone who knows me around here, once I get rolling, everyone's along for the ride. :P I very rarely start a conversation without knowing my end pretty well. Too many people online have empty arguments without facts to back it up.

I just did alot of research before I spent 750 bucks to upgrade my machines to ensure I wouldn't be screwed when it came time to buy upgrades.

I manage a Helpdesk, so I have to stay pretty current on a lot of different shit.

mined
May 12th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Context is hard to deliver via forum.

Amen to that.

So if I need help, I know who to call. :D

MissnL1nK
May 12th, 2007, 11:40 PM
My main interested was origanized competing, 4v4 or 5v5 style of play. I remember HaloPC netcode being terrible I just hope that Halo2V will be much better.

I would like to have high hopes for this game.

DTS 7.1
May 13th, 2007, 12:19 AM
HALO PC netcode is like an ugly puppy. At first you really want it cause it's so cute, and then when you see it looks like the ass end of a cow you put it down. But then you just go back any way, because...fuck man, it's puppy and puppies are fun. Even fugly ones.

So by that comparison, almost ANYTHING would have to be better right?

MissnL1nK
May 13th, 2007, 12:26 AM
An odd comparison indeed but I appreciate your creativity.

Signed.

DTS 7.1
May 13th, 2007, 08:56 AM
MY creativity was fueled strictly by alchohol.

Agamemnon
May 13th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Ok there Picasso.