PDA

View Full Version : Guess that Tea Partier

Rainbow Dash
September 5th, 2011, 07:08 PM
http://guessthatteapartier.com/

incredible

king_nothing_
September 5th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Mitt Romney and Rick Perry are not anywhere near being tea party. They are so establishment it's not even funny. The rest of them are widely regarded to be tea party, but I don't consider any of them to be. They're teocons (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=teocon).

king_nothing_
September 5th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Pretty dumb site IMO. They just put quotes on there without providing any counter argument to them, basically insinuating that they're so dumb that no counter argument is necessary. Some of them are completely right. For example:

"I don't think our founding fathers when they were putting the term general welfare in there were thinking about a federally operated program of pensions nor a federally operated program of health care. What they clearly said was that those were issues that the states need to address." - 8/12/11, Daily Beast

That's correct. Liberals try to validate every social program under the sun by citing the general welfare clause. They completely misinterpret it (or misrepresent it on purpose?).

The preamble to the Constitution states:

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Article 1, Section 8 states:

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States."

[...]

First, what did "welfare" mean in the age of the Founders? From the Free Republic Web Site:

We all know the meaning of words can change over time. In order to more accurately assess the meaning of the word "welfare", with respect to its use in the Constitution, I consulted a source from that period. I happened to own a reprint of the 1828 edition of Noah Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language. Here is how the word "welfare" was defined 40 years after it was written in the Constitution:

WEL´FARE, n. [well and fare, a good going; G. wohlfahrt; D. welvaard; Sw. valfart; Dan. velfærd.]

1. Exemption from misfortune, sickness, calamity or evil; the enjoyment of health and the common blessings of life; prosperity; happiness; applied to persons.

2. Exemption from any unusual evil or calamity; the enjoyment of peace and prosperity, or the ordinary blessings of society and civil government; applies to states.

A clear distinction is made with respect to welfare as applied to persons and states. In the Constitution the word "welfare" is used in the context of states and not persons. The "welfare of the United States" is not congruous with the welfare of individuals, people, or citizens.

The preamble of the constitution establishes no powers or rights. It merely states the purpose of the constitution. No further development of what "general welfare" means can be made based on the mention of it in the preamble.

Zeph
September 5th, 2011, 08:20 PM
The founding members of the tea party were kicked out. Pretty sure they're not really the tea party any more.

king_nothing_
September 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Who? Nobody "kicks" anyone out of the tea party, since it has no leadership. It's just a movement. Ron Paul is known as the "intellectual grandfather" of the tea party, and he's not by any means "kicked out". He was tea party before there was a tea party. These days, though, it has become completely distorted due to neocons and establishment Republicans co-opting it to pick up some popularity. Most who call themselves tea partiers are just hypocrites and panderers.

king_nothing_
September 5th, 2011, 08:52 PM
"And I'll promise you this: I'll work every day to make Washington, D.C. as inconsequential in your life as I can." - Announcement 8/13/11

That sounds fantastic to me (though I obviously don't believe the guy who said it). I'm not sure why they would put that on there as a supposed dumb quote. Oh wait, yes I do:

Paid for by the Iowa Democratic Party

Rainbow Dash
September 5th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Haven't seen any of the quotes you're pulling up, most of the ones I've seen are completely batshit ridiculous.

Though yes I agree, some of the ones you've found are totally fine.

"I'm not a deep thinker on all of this. I wish I was. I wish I was more knowledgeable, but I'm not a scientist." - 9/17/10, LIFE

"George W. Bush did a incredible job in the presidency, defending us from freedom. " - November 2010, Today Show

"Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that Carbon dioxide is a harmful gas." - 4/22/09, Speech

"Why aren't monkeys still evolving into humans?" -10/15/98

"I think in America from time to time we have to go through some difficult times, and I think we're going through those difficult economic times for a purpose, to bring us back to those Biblical principles of you know, you don't spend all the money. " - May 2011, Life Today

"Even if an alcoholic is powerless over alcohol once it enters his body, he still makes a choice to drink ? And, even if someone is attracted to a person of the same sex, he or she still makes a choice to engage in sexual activity with someone of the same gender. " - 2/12/08

"And what a bizarre time we're in, when a judge will say to little children that you can't say the pledge of allegiance, but you must learn that homosexuality is normal and you should try it." - 3/20/04, KKMS

so uh you do think these are ridiculous, right king?

king_nothing_
September 5th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Ok yeah, those are all pretty stupid. I had only seen a few of those. I keep getting the same ones over and over.

Rainbow Dash
September 5th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Ok glad to be sure haha

TeeKup
September 5th, 2011, 11:16 PM
That quote is complete and total bullshit and word twisting. The supreme court judging that prosecution against homosexuality is unconstitutional doesn't mean their influencing people to do it.

I fucking wish people would grow up, half the time the people in need of doing so are those in office.

paladin
September 6th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Wheres the one where Obama said there are 57 states? or Joe b talking about the UN in the 1920's.... There are plenty of gotcha quotes for any one person... some are just more publicized than others.

Registrant: Iowa Democratic Party 5661 Fleur Dr Des Moines, Iowa
http://www.iowademocrats.org/about/staff/mhoneycutt@iowademocrats.org :(
hmmmm

Thats exactly how I would want my political party to act. Like they are in junior high... grow the fuck up.

Kornman00
September 6th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Both parties act like children. DC is ran by old farts acting like children. No news there.

TeeKup
September 6th, 2011, 01:27 AM
It fucking bothers me when there are people in my generation that are more mature and rational than those who are charged with leading this country.

I'm moving to Canada, so much less anti-gay bullshit there.

neuro
September 6th, 2011, 06:52 AM
it's time for my obligatory 'lol america'

Lol, America.

Patrickssj6
September 6th, 2011, 09:31 AM
B5xVRXLgLxw

:S

neuro
September 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM
why can't he just say 'dude i have no clue what that means, mind telling me?'

Patrickssj6
September 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
why can't he just say 'dude i have no clue what that means, mind telling me?'
because then it would be the most overused sentence in politics

actually in this case even I as a foreigner knew more about this topic than him :S

Warsaw
September 6th, 2011, 08:46 PM
It's cool, public schools here don't teach you much.