PDA

View Full Version : woops, nuclear explosion in france.

neuro
September 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
misleading title ftw.

anyway yeah, nuclear plant explosion etc pewpew booomboom, here's a youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlqVsYoSk5g

(i love that one comment lol)

Limited
September 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Live from Brussels, broadband...do they not have any people in France for RT?

TVTyrant
September 12th, 2011, 01:04 PM
HA, "there is no leak at this time however there may be leaks." I guess they'll tell us in 3 months like Fuksuhima. Back to sleep sheep.

I didn't know Dane had a youtube...

Siliconmaster
September 12th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I didn't know Dane had a youtube...

:v:

...I thought it was funny

Nero
September 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM
PUTA FRANCEthe dirtiest people in all europe, the french pigs
FUCK YOUR PIG FACES AND YOUR FUCKING NUCLEAR PLANTS
if one day a FRENCH nuclear plant explodes near basque country, and I get radiated, I will go to france to kill u all one by one fucking PIGS
Best top comment ever... hahaha!

Bodzilla
September 12th, 2011, 06:34 PM
germany cant pull it off, the japs cant do it either.

nuclear power is dead.

JackalStomper
September 12th, 2011, 06:48 PM
nuclear power is dead.
http://www.wordtravels.com/images/map/France_map.jpg

Cortexian
September 12th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Candu reactors are like the safest ones out there, not sure why people haven't just used our designs instead of trying to build their own failed designs. We're practically giving them away last time I checked. Canada is also the worlds leading exporter in Uranium IIRC.

Rainbow Dash
September 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Uhm

hey freelancer

I0XY-frCZng

:3

TVTyrant
September 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I know the US got most of its Uranium from Canada.

Warsaw
September 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM
germany cant pull it off, the japs cant do it either.

nuclear power is dead.

Germans are being totally counter-productive and switching over to coal-fired plants. :v:

Unfortunate that nuclear power has such a bad rep.

Bodzilla
September 12th, 2011, 10:38 PM
the consequences of nuclear can be disastrous, and more importantly... be felt immediately.
thats the difference sadly, and thats always been it's Achilles heel.

solar, wind, geothermal, ocean currents will always be the future.

and as to this

http://www.wordtravels.com/images/map/France_map.jpg
You'd have to have terribly bad reading comprehension to not know what i was talking about.

the writings on the wall for nuclear, which is why some very, very prominent advocates for the industry have left after japan, and why germany backed out as well.

Cortexian
September 12th, 2011, 11:40 PM
:3
Uhm

hey nvous

the reactor he was talking about wasn't CANDU spec

neuro
September 13th, 2011, 12:50 AM
btw, it wasnt a power station, it was a nuclear waste treatment and storage facility.

Warsaw
September 13th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I have no problem with abandoning nuclear power for the civilian sector, so long as you have a long-term sustainable alternative. Using coal-fired plants is not sustainable. I think massive investment should be poured into those high-efficiency (40%+) solar cells should be made. Costly now, cheaper in the future.

Rainbow Dash
September 13th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Uhm

hey nvous

the reactor he was talking about wasn't CANDU spec

oh

yeah misread what you said my bad

Also yes, solar energy, go.

neuro
September 13th, 2011, 09:11 AM
- from non-renewable sources (MWh)

- from renewable sources (MWh)

Solar energy striking Earth today (MWh)

Energy used today.

http://www.worldometers.info

Patrickssj6
September 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Germans are being totally counter-productive and switching over to coal-fired plants. :v:

Unfortunate that nuclear power has such a bad rep.

See you in the 22nd century. Even if we use coal-fired plants in the meantime, we could burn coal for fun and we would still exhaust less CO2 than America.

I have no problem with abandoning nuclear power for the civilian sector, so long as you have a long-term sustainable alternative. Using coal-fired plants is not sustainable. I think massive investment should be poured into those high-efficiency (40%+) solar cells should be made. Costly now, cheaper in the future.

Durrr. Maybe you should read why we are using coal right now after shutting down 70% of the nuclear plants.

tl:dr inform (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_Germany) yourself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_capture_and_storage)

Warsaw
September 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks for linking me to 11th grade chemistry. It's still asinine. It would have been smarter to lay out a new system while the nuclear plants are still running instead of panicking over the Japanese incident which, by the way, was not the result of poor reactor design. Neither was it a spontaneous accident.

How much pollution you output relative to the USA is irrelevant. Germany switching to coal plants has nothing to do with the United States. I'm not trying to say the USA is better here, I was making an objective observation. This isn't a dick measuring contest.

tl;dr: :v:

neuro
September 14th, 2011, 02:26 AM
warsaw, you are one of the dumbest shitholes on the internets man. you seriously never stop to amaze me with the idiocy you manage to put onto the interwebs

CN3089
September 14th, 2011, 02:53 AM
If you are opposed to nuclear power you are incredibly stupid, well cya.

Patrickssj6
September 14th, 2011, 04:44 AM
People like warsaw shouldn't even dare to open their mouths if they have no clue about living in a society which tries every measure possible to make environment friendly decisions. They should continue watching their Spiderman movies and extract their information on how to solve the world energy problem from an artificial sun from there.

http://www.vfu-herzberg.de/media/images/nutzung-alternativer-ressourcen/solardorf-schwiegersahausen.jpg

EX12693
September 14th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Warsaw, the incident in Japan was NOT because of poor reactor design. In fact, the reactors were working perfectly after the earthquake AND the tsunami. I'd say those reactors were built pretty damn well. The failure came because the tsunami knocked out the electricity to the cooling pumps.

Pat, It's interesting that you'd bring up the Spiderman artificial sun thing, since that's basically a nuclear fusion reactor.
Now, while fusion power IS possible, it is impractical, since it needs a large amount of fuel to sustain.

Solar power is.. okay. But in that pic Pat posted.. I see a nice little village, and then I see a bunch of blue-black solar panels in the roofs, and it just doesn't look good.

I'm actually okay with fossil fuels for now, since I honestly don't see any real harm that they do. Diesel ftw.

Patrickssj6
September 14th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Pat, It's interesting that you'd bring up the Spiderman artificial sun thing, since that's basically a nuclear fusion reactor.
Now, while fusion power IS possible, it is impractical, since it needs a large amount of fuel to sustain.

I was implying that futuristic technology should not be relied upon if there are no working concepts yet. Every action has an opposite reaction. We can be lucky to have a huge nuclear power plant (the sun) outside our boundaries and we should rely on its energy. Solar, Wind and everything else that stores carbon through solar energy.

Solar power is.. okay. But in that pic Pat posted.. I see a nice little village, and then I see a bunch of blue-black solar panels in the roofs, and it just doesn't look good.

That's subjective. Here people don't have anything against those solar panel roofs, people like me even really like them! There are problems with wind parks though..many people, especially of older generation think they destroy the landscape.
http://img.fotocommunity.com/photos/11580956.jpg

I think the landscape would be boring in the first place and at some point we have to take sacrifices.

=sw=warlord
September 14th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Warsaw, the incident in Japan was NOT because of poor reactor design. In fact, the reactors were working perfectly after the earthquake AND the tsunami. I'd say those reactors were built pretty damn well. The failure came because the tsunami knocked out the electricity to the cooling pumps.

It would have been smarter to lay out a new system while the nuclear plants are still running instead of panicking over the Japanese incident which, by the way, was not the result of poor reactor design. Neither was it a spontaneous accident.

Way to go miss the important note.
Apparently none of you can read.
W2G :v:

TPBlinD
September 14th, 2011, 11:00 AM
solar panels look disgusting, and wind turbines add some life to flat plains. welp

Warsaw
September 14th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Way to go miss the important note.
Apparently none of you can read.
W2G :v:

Thanks.

Neuro: please, list some of the things I have said on this forum that would back that claim up. I can guarantee that you either were not thinking about it fully or you misinterpreted it.

Pat: keep on with the rose-tinted lenses and the never reading, with more than two brain cells active, anything I type. Keep on throwing more money at your power issues with stop-gaps instead of just going straight to the solution while the opportunity was in your lap. Yes, let's add more renewable energy while using dirty energy rather than while we're using clean energy! Deutschland ist über alles! :downs: I applaud your nation for trying to do the right thing. That doesn't make going back to coal any smarter. Carbon capture also isn't a perfect process, and requires use of chemicals or materials that, guess what, require energy to produce. It's the same problem that you get if you switch to electric automobiles: you are still getting that energy from a non-renewable source. I defy you to tell me in what way I am wrong. I would also like to know why any time we get into a debate, you behave like a middle-school kid. Have fun in your cliques. And again, I'm not trying to compare the US to Germany here. I already know this country is fucked six ways from Sunday on energy and I would make no motion to defend it. I. Was. Just. Making. An. Observation. Period.

@TPBlinD: Solar panels can be built into buildings rather than having to take up whole swathes of land. That would actually be the smart way to make a power grid: each building generates its own electricity and some surplus.

Cortexian
September 15th, 2011, 01:33 AM
So here's what you do, design a solar-panel that doubles as a window. Install in all new homes instead of traditional windows. Profit?

TeeKup
September 15th, 2011, 01:48 AM
How would wind farms destroy landscapes...I'd personally think it would be delightful for it to be apart of the scenery around my home. (I'm not even joking.)

Patrickssj6
September 15th, 2011, 04:46 AM
How would wind farms destroy landscapes...I'd personally think it would be delightful for it to be apart of the scenery around my home. (I'm not even joking.)
Because people all over the world are retarded. They even complain about the noise they make...300 meters away it's under 45dB.

I think the exact way you think about this and so do many other (younger...) people. The only problem remaining is that you have to transport the energy from wind intensive regions (most of the time the coast line) to less wind intensive regions and this requires more power lines we just don't have right now (over here).

Let's face it...power lines are pretty ugly.
http://www.uni-mainz.de/bilder_presse/Strommast.JPG

But there are architects working on alternatives that better fit into the landscape. Though most of them are not cost effective, they look quite good :P

http://polpix.sueddeutsche.com/polopoly_fs/1.1107316.1307699346!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/536x536/image.jpg
http://polpix.sueddeutsche.com/polopoly_fs/1.1107319.1307699353!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/536x536/image.jpg

(some other designs here (http://www.sueddeutsche.de/leben/designer-strommasten-schoener-kabelsalat-1.1107312-4))

That doesn't make going back to coal any smarter. Carbon capture also isn't a perfect process, and requires use of chemicals or materials that, guess what, require energy to produce. It's the same problem that you get if you switch to electric automobiles: you are still getting that energy from a non-renewable source. I defy you to tell me in what way I am wrong.
I skipped over your heil hitler and whining bullshit. Newsflash for you: No one is buying electric cars over here, nor have I ever seen a Prius.

Since you did not inform yourself on why we are using coal here is one for you: There are no alternatives. We could (and we are right now to a certain extend) importing nuclear power from France, a small amount of wind energy from the Netherlands and gas from Russia.

Since we are against nuclear power and all of France's nuclear power reactors are along the German border, we don't want to buy the energy we want to get away from. Russia has the tendency to cut the gas pipeline to increase costs. The only resource we have to use coal is because it's the only resource we have (and we have plenty for that matter). It's cheap, secures many employees and it doesn't blow up.

Since we drive efficient cars, tax Diesel differently, are barely allowed to make waste, are forced to recycle, pay extra money when buying bottles so we are forced to bring them back, subvention solar energy panels on roofs, solar heat panels, rain capturing systems, home isolations, capture bio waste to produce energy, build wind parks...we are allowed to go one step back for the sake of progress. There are no alternatives.

oh and two weeks ago we banned the traditional lightbulb :lawl:

EX12693
September 15th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Those power line towers also have to be built to certain technical specs though. Miles and miles of suspended power line is really heavy, and with wind swaying the lines and adding lateral stress, those towers have to be tough. That's why there are cross-members everywhere.

I don't really like solar panels, but solar thermal energy is something I'm a fan of. Yay Solar Power Towers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_tower).

=sw=warlord
September 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM
So here's what you do, design a solar-panel that doubles as a window. Install in all new homes instead of traditional windows. Profit?
What's the point of making a solar panel that just lets the light you are trying to capture, through to the other side?

Patrickssj6
September 15th, 2011, 01:34 PM
What's the point of making a solar panel that just lets the light you are trying to capture, through to the other side?
Not to mention the obvious reasons like the window would have to be angled, facing south (upper hemisphere) etc.

neuro
September 15th, 2011, 02:08 PM
you know solar panels don't even need to receive any direct light at all to provide power right?

they dont need to be angled at anything.
and they do have transparent solarpanel-windows already, they're just rather expensive at the moment.

Patrickssj6
September 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I do know that but then they are even more inefficient. If a house has no south side for the roof, the solar panels are angled into that direction. It's common practice to get the most out of it.

http://static.wiwo.de/media/1/50_warum_480.jpg

TeeKup
September 16th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Since we drive efficient cars

German cars are amazing, I think I may have stated once or twice in the past my hard-on for the Audi A4.

oh and two weeks ago we banned the traditional lightbulb :lawl:

That's just funny.

I'll agree and disagree on the power lines. I agree they are unsightly and ugly, because at the time America did it we were "booming" so to speak and needed to get them up fast. I disagree because those are ugly in the sense of "alien" ugly. The first picture makes me think I'm on a planet from Stargate SG-1.

E: People complained that Wind Farms are loud? I'm sorry what?

neuro
September 16th, 2011, 02:16 AM
trust me, those turbines make a hell of a noise.

but it's up in the sky, and you won't hear it unless you build a flat next to it or stand right at it's base.

Bodzilla
September 16th, 2011, 07:48 AM
why not just tunnel the cables?

=sw=warlord
September 16th, 2011, 07:57 AM
why not just tunnel the cables?
Maintenance.

neuro
September 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
they do, alot. but it's alot more expensive, since whenever you've got maintainance to perform you have to dig up the entire stretch of cable.

Patrickssj6
September 16th, 2011, 01:15 PM
High tension lines are overground because of cost and maintenance. After the transformer to ~220V it's underground.

Mr Buckshot
September 19th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I use Tony Stark's miniature arc reactor, problem solved. $0 bill, baby!

EX12693
September 19th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Yay superhero movies....

=sw=warlord
September 19th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Who needs an arc reactor when you have a T.A.R.D.I.S powered by the space time vortex capable of atomizing entire Dalek fleets?

Patrickssj6
September 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Deuterium from the moon, anyone?

Cortexian
September 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
We should just fuel everything off that ethanol nebula NASA discovered.

You know, once we figure out how to get to it.

Phopojijo
September 22nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
I just want to make it clear to everyone, including Warsaw, how much airborne radioactive Uranium is released by coal power plants.

Quite a lot.

That is all.

Patrickssj6
September 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
The radio activity from the ash is higher than the surrounding of a nuclear plant, yes. But no where near as radio active as its waste.

To avoid any misunderstanding.

That is all.