PDA

View Full Version : Best military technology?

Emmzee
October 20th, 2006, 08:58 PM
There's a lot of people who show appreciation for the military on this forum.
Here's what I think are the best innovations of ever.
1. Chinese Chu Ko Nu, otherwise known as the repeating crossbow. An untrained individual could fire a bolt every 2 seconds, and a skilled marksman could fire over a round a second with as much accuracy as a skilled bowman.
http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3777
That's how to make one.
2. Napalm. Worked wonders in 'Nam and WW2.
3. The flamethrower. First introduced in WW1, it emptied trenches in a hurry, and worked wonders in the jungles of Japanese islands and Vietnam.
What about you guys?

Limited
October 20th, 2006, 09:12 PM
who has the best military technology?

US

whos the best a using military technology?

not the US, thats a general overview, theres individuals in US military that totally rock =D

some US sniper shot a guy from like 1 mile or so with a 7.92mm, it had like a 400ft range or some thing like that, it was an insane shot the guy could only see the terrorists top part of his body, and the scope was out of range too...

Emmzee
October 20th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Kay, but that isn't talking about military technology, that's just a really good shot. I could do that with a deer rifle.

legionaire45
October 20th, 2006, 11:01 PM
1) Nuclear Weapons: While it is quite a profound technical achievement, the fact that is #1 on my list is a little scary. Weapons this powerful shouldn't belong to anyone, especially because of the fallout and the after affects.
2) ICBM: Interesting piece of tech right here, some may group this with the nuke, but not all ICBM's carry nukes, so im putting it here in its own little group anyways.
3) BAR: Awesome gun. Sadly, wasn't used as much as it should have been due to fears of it being copied. Still an awesome weapon
4) Cloaking tech currently in the works: Hey, they have it succesfully bending microwaves, so we may just soon have active camo =D.
5) The Gun: in the 600-ish years that the gun has been around, a lot has improved, but these things changed history for the better (Helped kill off Fuedalism since Knights were no longer very hard to kill. Without Knights the Fuedal system lost one of its legs and collapsed).

mined
October 21st, 2006, 12:30 AM
Kay, but that isn't talking about military technology, that's just a really good shot. I could do that with a deer rifle.

.308, 30-06...??? Wow, that's quite an assertion. :eyesroll:

Anyways, imo the best military innovations are as follows:

-GPS- makes a lot of difference in +/-30 sec tactical insertions.

-NVG's- When I was in the Marine Corps, low light ops were the pinnacle of every training regime for a good reason.

-GORE-TEX- While I served my enlistment I saw the transition from out dated, Korean era "gumby" suits to high-speed-low-drag "breathable" materials being used in everything from the sleeping bags to the field jackets. Anyone that has slept in a foxhole, knee deep in freezing rain can tell you there is quite a distinction between heavy wool and goose down compared to light synthetics.

-MRE's- not even kidding...if you have had the pleasure of knowing the palatable difference between C-rats and the "five fingers of death" (beef stick meal) showered with Tabasco, you know the difference between purgatory and hell.

Although the war against insurgent guerrillas was initially fought from the air, time has shown that the good ole grunt is the best defense/counter offense we have against an enemy that is hard to find. The items above, imo, are way more valuable than any laser guided missile or smart bomb.

thehoodedsmack
October 21st, 2006, 12:55 PM
I personally like the US army's new "Javelin" portable rocket launcher. Look it up, it on the web.

Patrickssj6
October 21st, 2006, 02:16 PM
Gun Powder

I win.

Emmzee
October 21st, 2006, 05:14 PM
Gun Powder

I win.
No you don't. You never explained it. Plus, the original gunpowder sucked.

Patrickssj6
October 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM
No you don't. You never explained it. Plus, the original gunpowder sucked.
Without the original gunpowder there wouldn't be handguns/rifles now.

Excal
October 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM
The bomber.

From carpet bombing in Germany and Japan to dropping PGM's today, the bomber is a vital and important part of any military.

Cruise missile owns, too. ;)

rossmum
October 21st, 2006, 08:51 PM
Stop stealing mine guys.

The Bell UH-1D Iriquois 'Huey' helicopter - first used to great effect in Vietnam, where troops could be quickly transported to a landing ground and reinforcements, supplies and medevac could continue to come with each successive flight. Get in, fight, get out.

The MG42 machine gun - such a reliable, devastating weapon that an updated version, the MG3, is still in use today by several armies - 64 years on. It's also one of the accepted NATO GPMGs. Firing 7.62mm ammunition at anything from 1,200rpm to 1,800rpm, the gun was nicknamed "Hitler's Buzzsaw" by Allied troops as the weapon fired so fast that the human ear could not make out individual gunshots. The constant stream of fire could devastate whole companies of troops if caught in the open, but also caused the barrel to overheat quickly. However, a skilled gunner could change barrels in a little over a second, leaving only a minute amount of time for the Allies to act.

The MP44/ StG44 Sturmgewehr - the first true assault rifle, this was a reliable, versatile and devastating weapon designed around the fact that most combat occurs within a 300m range. It balanced accuracy, power and rate of fire perfectly, and could even mount experimental curved barrels at 30, 45 or 90 degree bends, allowing the soldier to fire around corners (using a prismatic scope) while remaining behind cover. Its German name, Sturmgewehr, literally means "assault rifle" - the origin of this now common term. It is still in use in several armies today.

The Colt (originally Armalite) M16 assault rifle - Despite early reliability issues, this versatile, accurate, and light weapon has been in use for over 40 years, and though several programs have been run to try and find a replacement, it looks like the good ol' M16 - despite still having reliability issues, particularly jams and double feeds when the magazine is bumped - will be in service for a while yet.

Kalashnikov AK-47 - Tough. Reliable. Powerful. You can soak it, bury it, drive a truck over it, and abuse it to the point where any other rifle would fall apart, and it STILL FIRES.

I have more but I also have homework.

Cortexian
October 21st, 2006, 08:59 PM
Metal Storm, its just that amazing...

http://www.metalstorm.com/

Emmzee
October 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM
I forgot the Hotchkiss. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_gun)
Best artillery piece of the 19th century, and revolutionary.

rossmum
October 21st, 2006, 09:07 PM
Metal Storm, its just that amazing...

http://www.metalstorm.com/
Yeah, Australia wins. What of it? :D

Emmzee
October 21st, 2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah, Australia wins. What of it? :D
Psh. Who's been in more wars AND WON EVERY ONE OF THEM, NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY?
http://img58.exs.cx/img58/2934/FuckYeah.jpg

rossmum
October 22nd, 2006, 12:23 AM
http://img58.exs.cx/img58/2934/FuckYeah.jpg
Who is known world over for nosing into everybody else's business? Who has such a high incidence of friendly fire casualties compared to us it's not funny? Who turned up late to both world wars, leaving Britain to beat back Germany on their own for 3 and 2 years respectively, sending nothing but supplies which for the most part were obsolete equipment? Who always ends up getting ragged on in every other country but their own?

'Nuff said... now can we get this back on topic before it turns into a "my country owns your country because blah blah blah" thread? :rolleyes:

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
October 22nd, 2006, 01:29 AM
I swore we lost the Gulf War...

rossmum
October 22nd, 2006, 01:32 AM
...And Vietnam - technically, anyway.

Emmzee
October 22nd, 2006, 06:38 AM
We didn't lose the Gulf War, and we pulled out from 'Nam because of overwhelming support by the left against it.

rossmum
October 22nd, 2006, 07:43 AM
We didn't lose the Gulf War, and we pulled out from 'Nam because of overwhelming support by the left against it.
There was a reason for that.

Anyways, can we get back on topic?

M1 Garand - the "rifle that won the war". I think that's all that needs to be said there :p

mined
October 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
The "E" tool.

I win.

Not only can you dig a foxhole with it, but adjust the spade 90 degrees and you've got a seat to sit on while you're taking a crap in the field.

Not to mention you could scalp someone with the thing.

rossmum
October 22nd, 2006, 09:51 AM
The "E" tool.

I win.

Not only can you dig a foxhole with it, but adjust the spade 90 degrees and you've got a seat to sit on while you're taking a crap in the field.

Not to mention you could scalp someone with the thing.
HAHA! YES! EMERGENCY SHOVEL FOR THE WIN!

I love that term... "emergency shovel", so much better than "'E' tool"... :D

Emmzee
October 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
HAHA! YES! EMERGENCY SHOVEL FOR THE WIN!

I love that term... "emergency shovel", so much better than "'E' tool"... :D
I have one of those. There's a military surplus shop just up the road. It's great. I get MREs so cheap, not to mention gas masks for less than $50.

mined
October 22nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
ha ha...the "E" stand for excavating not emergency. :XD:

Rossmum, with your impeccable knowledge of the world's military hardware, you lose on this one.

Rescudo
October 22nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
If you said "the 'E' tool" here in Norway, people would just stare at you... :eek:

mined
October 22nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
If you said "the 'E' tool" here in Norway, people would just stare at you... :eek:

???? Does that have a bad local connotation?

Rescudo
October 22nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
...let's just say certain words start with different letters in Norwegian than English...

legionaire45
October 22nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
...xD

rossmum
October 23rd, 2006, 02:34 AM
ha ha...the "E" stand for excavating not emergency. :XD:

Rossmum, with your impeccable knowledge of the world's military hardware, you lose on this one.
Der, I know. I just call it the emergency shovel because it sounds so much more lol. :XD:

mined
October 23rd, 2006, 03:21 AM
lol. nice back pedalling. :p

Boo Diddly
October 23rd, 2006, 03:36 AM
personally I think swords were *are* awsome. nothing like hand to hand combat where you are fighting with skill for your life, not pulling a trigger and hoping it hits.

rossmum
October 23rd, 2006, 03:50 AM
lol. nice back pedalling. :p
No seriously, one day at school my friend Bruce proposed we get one of those "break glass in case of emergency" cases and put a red shovel in it. And call it the emergency shovel. I now call any sort of spade or shovel that can be used in times of emergency an "emergency shovel". :D

Emmzee
October 23rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
personally I think swords were *are* awsome. nothing like hand to hand combat where you are fighting with skill for your life, not pulling a trigger and hoping it hits.
I don't need to "hope" for a hit.

I "pray" for a hit. XD

legionaire45
October 23rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
get an aimbot...that have those for real-life right xD?

Boo Diddly
November 1st, 2006, 09:07 PM
its called a H-bomb :lol:

Atty
November 3rd, 2006, 05:00 AM
The internet. If used properly can topple governments.

Cortexian
November 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM

Canada, now gtfo... We did burn down the whitehouse once you know ;)

TeeKup
November 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I got this won...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-52_Stratofortress

Make sure you take the time to read all the vital info...you'll find out that th Stratofortess is a deadly force to be reackoned with..

EDIT:

Who's embarassed themselves several times over the course of history? Think about that for a second before you try and defend this country again. I can name ALOT of occasions where this country deserves a slap on the face for its actions.