PDA

View Full Version : Apple wants Samsung to stop making rectangular phones

t3h m00kz
December 8th, 2011, 04:09 AM
http://fudzilla.net/home/item/25131-apple-wants-samsung-to-stop-making-rectangular-phones
(http://fudzilla.net/home/item/25131-apple-wants-samsung-to-stop-making-rectangular-phones)

Moves to patent frivolous lawsuits in the process
We have to admit we were never too kind to Apple when it comes to the outfit’s intellectual property claims, but a recently released court document sheds some light on Cupertino’s reality distortion field and the sheer scope of its nonsensical claims.

In one of many injunctions against Samsung (http://fudzilla.net/home/item/25131-apple-wants-samsung-to-stop-making-rectangular-phones#), Apple brought in an “expert witness” to weigh in on the matter and elaborate what exactly Samsung, and other companies, should do if they are to avoid legal action from Apple.

So here are some of Apple’s priceless design guidelines for smartphones:

Front surface that isn’t black.
Overall shape that isn’t rectangular, or doesn’t have rounded corners.
Display screens (http://fudzilla.net/home/item/25131-apple-wants-samsung-to-stop-making-rectangular-phones#) that aren’t centered on the front face and have substantial lateral borders.
Non-horizontal speaker slots.
Front surfaces with substantial adornment.
No front bezel.

Not to be outdone in the lunacy department, here are some tablet suggestions as well:

Overall shape that isn’t rectangular, or doesn’t have rounded corners.
Thick frames rather than a thin rim around the front surface.
Front surface that isn’t entirely flat.
Profiles that aren’t thin.

So, Apple thinks it is perfectly logical to ask the competition to stop making black, rectangular phones with displays centered on the front face. For lack of a better word, priceless. Also, tablets shouldn't be rectangular, flat or thin, either.

These “suggestions” are aimed at Samsung, but obviously they apply to everyone who dares make a black, rectangular phone (http://fudzilla.net/home/item/25131-apple-wants-samsung-to-stop-making-rectangular-phones#) or a flat tablet, neither of which are exactly Apple ideas, nor are they really something that could or should be patented in the first place. Of course, Apple is equally aware of this fact, but it’s simply abusing the legal system to make life a bit more miserable for the competition.

I don't care how innovative their stuff has been in the past, their ego and attempts to stay on top of the market is pretty freaking ridiculous.

giant, evil corporation.

neuro
December 8th, 2011, 04:18 AM
oh god this is fucking priceless.

Donut
December 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM
was this part of jobs' 5 year postmortem success plan too?

Patrickssj6
December 8th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Breaking News: Samsung wants Apple to stop making phones in 3-dimensional space.

t3h m00kz
December 8th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Lawsuits being the difference, I'd assume ;}

Bodzilla
December 8th, 2011, 05:15 AM
As far as i'm concerned apple has never been any different.

ever.
(how the hell did you guys not know this shit????)

rossmum
December 9th, 2011, 10:50 PM
surprise, corporations are horrible power-tripping shitpiles

bigger surprise, apple bad even by corporation standards

death to apple, death to capitalism (also steve jobs was an asshole irl, why did people act as if he was literally jesus and get so depressed he died, yeah people dying is never a good thing but really, pick a better human being to get all weepy over the loss of)

Warsaw
December 9th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Death to humani-owait.

Hotrod
December 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I believe the only appropriate answer to this is a giant *facepalm*.

DarkHalo003
December 15th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Apple is a money-whore, who's like a vampire that keeps fucking their consumers while they're trying to enjoy themselves.

Limited
December 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry but Apple has a bloody point:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-G_KMsadZdW8/TdPm7S_Fk5I/AAAAAAAADY0/_Cz0MHm_DiI/s1600/s.jpg

Its practically a carbon copy (look at EVERYTHING)...

Zeph
December 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
visual design choices would never make it through court unless they are almost exact copies. I can't remember the case's name, but one shoe company way back separated themselves by having red velvet on the bottom of their shoes. The case was thrown out because the "copies" looked nothing alike and the red color was the only similarity.

If you recall, Apple falsified imagery in their litigation to match the proportions of Samsung's product to match what they made.

Patrickssj6
December 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Not to mention that rectangular is the only shape that makes sense (golden ratio etc).

Nero
December 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Time to make them balls. haha

neuro
December 20th, 2011, 05:06 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-G_KMsadZdW8/TdPm7S_Fk5I/AAAAAAAADY0/_Cz0MHm_DiI/s1600/s.jpg

the samsung looks better though.

=sw=warlord
December 20th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Even the animal kingdom hate the iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FWUjJF1ai0

Warsaw
December 25th, 2011, 05:28 PM
the samsung looks better though.

And that is exactly why Apple is getting defensive. They suck and they know it.

Cortexian
December 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
The actual Samsung phone looks better, but who cares when the only good interface software is iOS?

Warsaw
December 29th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Who says iOS is the only good interface?

Nero
December 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Heh. I love the android interface. I own/owned a lot from both sides.
Here is an example:
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/57934_468014461353_664631353_6664986_7780977_n.jpg
and I own android things like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 . The samsung galaxy tab 7 inch. The original Flagship NEXUS ONE.
(edit; sowwy no picture, to lazy haha)
They both have there ups and downs, but I still take android over apple's crap. :)

Oh and no, I don't but any Apple products anymore. Stopped about a year ago.

Cortexian
December 30th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Who says iOS is the only good interface?
Me. Literally every other phone I have tried is slow, unintuitive, clunky, and basically just annoying to use. iOS just works.

I've tried a lot of the latest Android offerings (including playing around with Ice Cream Sandwitch), and nothing is as smooth or flawless. Maybe I've just got ALL lemon phones, but I really doubt that out of the 50 or so non iOS phones I have tried they are all broken.

DarkHalo003
December 30th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Maybe it's just psychological, your providers sucks, or you're just being picky.

Kind of glad Apple is realizing they're really nothing special now in the phone department. Maybe then they'll make better junk.

t3h m00kz
December 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM

are you serious?

firstly, the droid galaxy sII has three buttons on the bottom, whereas the iphone has one. the screen takes up much more of the phone. the front-facing camera is a necessity with phones these days. the samsung logo replaces nothing on the iphone.

and even then, that's just one of the versions of the galaxy sII, the t-mobile variant has a different physical layout.

http://img.popherald.com/2011-images/october/week-2/october-11/t-mobile-samsung-galaxy-s-ii.jpeg

by your logic, a car company has a point when they call out another company for making cars with wheels, windshields, rear-view mirrors, steering wheels and spedometers.

apple needs to get their heads out of their ass thinking they can have a monopoly on everything and accept the fact that somebody's probably doing a better job than they are.

IOS may very well be a good operating system. I've not had much experience with it personally, because I'm not willing to drop a fortune to own one of their products. my G2X does what I need it to with a highly customizable user interface, flash support, widget support, and custom launcher. I can't possibly imagine what the iPhone has to offer that the droid can't do, other than perhaps a more seamless, polished interface; the "Apple Experience" if you will. but then again, I've never used one, so my opinion is probably skewed.

my stance is based on what I've read about each operating system.

http://zapp5.staticworld.net/reviews/graphics/208491-os_smackdown_chartlarge_original.png

Kornman00
December 30th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Droid supremacy~

=sw=warlord
December 30th, 2011, 08:31 PM
These are the droids you were looking for.:iamafag:

Also of note, according to apple, you don't "own" your iPhone you are merely leasing it.
That is more than enough for me to avoid it like the plague.

Warsaw
December 30th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Not for long. They are dropping all plug-in support for the Metro version of IE10. Silverlight is going the way of Flash, to make room for HTML5. WP7 has good HTML5 support and hardware acceleration.

@Freelancer:You must've been using the wrong phones, because iOS is incredibly clunky compared to WP7. Go to app, hit home button. Go to next app, hit home button. Yay app drawers!

Fake E: That chart is so incredibly old...WP7 app store is at 50,000 right now, and they can do video calling now. Not to mention the above-average HTML5 support.

Ryx
December 30th, 2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.androidear.com/news/dunder-mifflin-releases-new-pyramid-tablet-–-challenges-conventional-rectangle-tablets-video/

Mr Buckshot
December 30th, 2011, 09:57 PM
the only Apple product that I ever admit is superior is the touchpad for macbooks. Used plenty of laptops before, and I can honestly say no PC touchpad can even compare to a Macbook's.

other than that, linux and android do the job for me. I don't do multimedia productivity, so all the advantages Mac might give me are also present in Linux.

I'm using a HTC Desire Z (also known as T-Mobile G2 in the US) with Cyanogenmod 7.1, and a clone of the WP7 Metro UI. I like the aesthetics of WP7 but I prefer the customizability of Android and most importantly the ability to DRAG AND DROP my music and other files through the file explorer in any desktop OS.

until iOS stops forcing iTunes and allows drag-and-drop, no way in hell I'm gonna get an iPhone. I won an iPod Touch 4th gen in a raffle so I'm pretty familiar with iOS, and the restrictive nature of it makes me not use it for anything other than playing some games that I can't get on Android.

as for this legal issue, I'm wondering why Samsung didn't counter by pointing out how touchscreen phones had been out for quite a while before the iPhone, complete with the wifi and other smart features. Yeah, they had shit OSes and needed styluses, but the overall idea was the same. Hell, I owned one myself (O2 XDA Zinc) long before the iPhone released.

t3h m00kz
December 31st, 2011, 12:31 AM
a clone of the WP7 Metro UI.

the wp7 launcher is pretty fucking hilarious. What's great is being able to customize the color of each and every tile and select any color whatsoever.

personally though I'm using Go! launcher with the Classic Blue theme. I do like the whole tile layout of the WP7 launcher, but I need to keep my app drawer organized with folders.

Go! android apps are generally really well made. The lock screens fuck up sometimes, but overall they're pretty high quality.

BobtheGreatII
December 31st, 2011, 03:13 AM
Those are some wicked old numbers for the Appstores. Android is closer to 380,000+

Not to mention that Android has the highest percentage of free apps.

I just purchased the Galaxy Nexus and couldn't be more pleasantly surprised. I would use Ice Cream Sandwich any day over the limited under powered iOS.

neuro
January 4th, 2012, 08:54 AM
i've got a HTC Radar, which is a w7 phone, and from my experience (girlfriend has a galaxy2 which is android) android is still the superior platform.
for windowsphone you basically have to pay for EVERY LITTLE FUCKING THING you want to do with it.

even if you want to be able to install 3rd party apps on your phone which DONT come off xbox live, you have to 'unlock' your phone which is a PAID service.
andriod supremacy > all

Kornman00
January 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Droid supremacy~
look at dis

andriod supremacy > all
look at dat

BobtheGreatII
January 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM
For what it's worth. Android just passed 400,000 apps

http://cdn.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Android-Market-400K.png

Warsaw
January 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Android is great if you are a tinkerer and an avid app user. Phones are not something I really care to tinker with (for now), so I just wanted a smartphone that worked out of the box, no hassle. Complications from running a non-US phone on a US network aside, I'm pleased with it. I may go with an Android phone at some point later down the line if they maintain the hardware lead.

I will say, though, that I am a massive fan of polish and user experience. However, I'm not so much of a fan that I will buy an Apple product. I don't like products that not only assume that the consumer is an idiot, but also turn them into one with use.

rossmum
July 18th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Good. Eat shit and die, Apple.

Zeph
July 18th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm still waiting for Apple to move into the automobile industry and subsequently sue Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc. for making vehicles that infringe on their intellectual property.

TeeKup
July 18th, 2012, 03:51 PM
The CEO of Ford would look straight into the eyes of everyone at the legal department at Apple and just laugh his fucking ass off.

JackalStomper
July 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM
'We suggest our competitors try designs that don't have wheels'

Patrickssj6
July 18th, 2012, 05:41 PM
The filler cap is modified so you can only use iFuel on iStations and your car is probably driven by some flicks on a touchscreen.

DarkHalo003
July 18th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Apple: "YOU CAN'T USE THE SAME GENERIC PHONE HARDWARE DESIGN WE'RE USING EVEN THOUGH PEOPLE HAVE USED IT NUMEROUSLY IN THE PAST DECADE."

Samsung: "There's that word again, generic. You're becoming it. LOL."

Nokia: "Bitches, please, we started the whole rectangular and curved phone bodies way before you even thought it was cool. At least our shit doesn't break. :lol:"

TVTyrant
July 23rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
The CEO of Ford would look straight into the eyes of everyone at the legal department at Apple and just laugh his fucking ass off.
"Nigga, we fucking INVENTED cars"

Warsaw
July 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Actually, they didn't. They just pioneered mass production of them and made them affordable.

Bodzilla
July 23rd, 2012, 07:55 PM
Actually, they didn't. They just pioneered mass production of them and made them affordable.

TVTyrant
July 23rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
No fucking shit Sherlock. Sweet Jesus, historically inaccurate jokes are a history major tradition. Dr. Katz even says so!

Warsaw
July 23rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Just saying. When doing jokes on the internet, you either need to set a precedent for yourself so people can tell when you are joking and what you typically joke about or you need to set up a context in which people can decipher that you're joking. The joke I saw was Ford throwing it's weight at Apple while using racial slurs, not the historical irony in the statement.

To boot, being broke is also a history major tradition.

Pooky
July 23rd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Apple can fuck off and die, just sayin'

kthxbai