PDA

View Full Version : CA same-sex marriage ban gets another day in court

TeeKup
December 18th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Oh boy.

http://news.yahoo.com/ca-same-sex-marriage-ban-gets-another-day-012838043.html;_ylt=AiY3TYnXRJaItaHHzEXnn2FtzwcF;_ ylu=X3oDMTMydWNwM2RrBG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIFJlbGF0ZWQgSU IEcGtnAzMwMjYzY2NlLTE4NDMtMzRjNC1iNjJmLTY5OWIzZTEx MjhiYgRwb3MDMgRzZWMDTWVkaWFJbmZpbml0ZUJyb3dzZQR2ZX ID;_ylg=X3oDMTJycWlsOGJnBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cw Rwc3RhaWQDYzZmZjc3NWMtZDM0My0zZDAxLWE0OTQtZGU0MjFj ZGI4YzU5BHBzdGNhdAN1cwRwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2UEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The sponsors of California's gay marriage ban renewed their effort Thursday to disqualify a federal judge because of his same-sex relationship, but they met a skeptical audience in an appeals court panel.

It's the first time an American jurist's sexual orientation has been cited as grounds for overturning a court decision.

Lawyers for a coalition of religious conservative groups told a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker should have revealed he had a long-term male partner before he presided over a trial on the measure's constitutionality. He also should have stated whether he had any interest in getting married, the lawyers said.

Because he did not, Walker's impartiality stands in doubt and the decision he ultimately made to strike down Proposition 8 as a violation of Californians' civil rights must be reversed, said Charles Cooper, an attorney for the ban's backers.

TVTyrant
December 19th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Guess I'll post here since n00b closed the Kim Jong-Il thread.

Who gives a shit what gay people do. Just give them the same rights as the rest of us. How does it affect anyone negatively?

TeeKup
December 19th, 2011, 02:53 AM
This was beautifully said.
http://blog.nj.com/njv_guest_blog/2011/12/discrimination_against_same-se.html

Timo
December 19th, 2011, 03:08 AM
dCFFxidhcy0
Great speech on the New York equality bill, probably the best argument for gay marriage i've heard.

Patrickssj6
December 19th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Guess I'll post here since n00b closed the Kim Jong-Il thread.Who gives a shit what gay people do. Just give them the same rights as the rest of us. How does it affect anyone negatively?I expect the exact same post from you in the North Korea thread. :P

JackalStomper
December 19th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Who gives a shit what gay people do.

Religious zealots.

TeeKup
December 19th, 2011, 06:00 AM
dCFFxidhcy0
Great speech on the New York equality bill, probably the best argument for gay marriage i've heard.

I have a lot of respect for that woman.

sleepy1212
December 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I seriously doubt that judge was impartial and the banners have a legitimate point. The rule of law doesn't get turned on it's ass just because we're happy about the decision.

TeeKup
December 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM
That I can agree with. At the time of judgment for the bill he should have abstained himself because of his situation. Regardless Proposition 8 was a violation of citizen rights and unconstitutional, and I'll harp about it as much as the next fag. Walkers failure to abstain himself is only making his cause look bad.

Cortexian
December 20th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Given that your sexuality is irrelevant to your human rights, I've never seen what the deal with this whole debate is besides stuck-up traditionalists being afraid of change.

That said, why exactly do you need to be legally married. You can pursue relationships without marriage, being married is just a status symbol/stereotypical thing now-a-days. I'll probably never get legally married unless my waifu really wants to.

neuro
December 20th, 2011, 05:01 AM
though that's preopably true for alot of people, i guess it's fair for other people to feel differently about it.

TVTyrant
December 20th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I don't think it should even be called marriage by law for any coupling, but whatever.

Pooky
December 20th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Who cares if a gay marriage might make someone else happy. Who cares if I won't ever meet that person and they won't ever affect my life in any way.

It offends my religion.

TVTyrant
December 20th, 2011, 05:34 AM
People who think as above are incredibly self-centered. I don't have a problem with people having beliefs different than mine. I invite those kinds of discussions. But when you say someone doesn't deserve the rights you have because of them, I get quite upset. Just to be clear I know you are being sarcastic Pooky

=sw=warlord
December 20th, 2011, 08:08 AM
That said, why exactly do you need to be legally married. You can pursue relationships without marriage, being married is just a status symbol/stereotypical thing now-a-days. I'll probably never get legally married unless my waifu really wants to.
There are certain "benefits" involved with legal marriage, there's certain customs involved that cannot be used in normal unionships, one of which that's used often is tax breaks and the other is certain involvements when one person dies the other is given permission to over see the action taken after where as if you're in a typical relationship, it's the family's right to deal as seen fit.
There have been cases where one person has died and their lover has been disallowed from attending the funeral simply because the couple were not married and the family didn't like the deceased's lover.

thehoodedsmack
December 20th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Get rid of marriage. Institute a modern Family Law applicable to all human-beings.

Benefits, if any, equal for all unions, hetero or homo, thus ensuring equality for any and all forms of familial union.

In absence of prenuptial agreements, all net assets and liabilities will be split equally between all members of the union (and I say "all members" instead of "both members" to include polygamous unions).

Additional benefits for child-rearing, be they natural or adopted. These are implemented as additional benefits to allow childless unions the same benefits as those with children.

This concludes "How to Solve Logical Concerns with Modern Marriage Law". Now, solving illogical concerns is at the user's discretion.

TVTyrant
December 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I have never been told I was going to hell, so I don't get what people are talking about with that. That said I live in Portland, Oregon. America's Canada. It's pretty nice having so much moderacey around here.

Cortexian
December 20th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I avoid going into any kind of Church because I always end up arguing for evolution instead of creationism.

Though that only happened a couple times and I was only in the Church because I was playing bagpipes at a wedding.

TVTyrant
December 20th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Only time I've ever been to church was in 10th grade. I went with some girl because I was trying to get at dat.

Didn't work, should have tried a movie instead.

EX12693
December 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I used to be a homophobic churchgoing Christian, then I took an arrow in the knee decided to not be ignorant.
My parents now disown me, but they care about their reputation more. Probably the only reason I'm still living here.

TeeKup
December 21st, 2011, 02:51 AM
I actually really like Smack's idea.

king_nothing_
December 21st, 2011, 03:45 AM
Only time I've ever been to church was in 10th grade. I went with some girl because I was trying to get at dat.

Didn't work, should have tried a movie instead.
oK62oHekRTw

TeeKup
December 21st, 2011, 04:01 AM
King why is your input always awesome?

Oh wait...your name is King. lol.

TVTyrant
December 21st, 2011, 04:13 AM
oK62oHekRTw
I fucking love that movie. Now I want to watch it...

Kornman00
December 21st, 2011, 02:03 PM
I wonder, if this were any other judge would they have done a background check to make sure they weren't some conservative mother fucker who wears WWJD underwear? If this judge can't vote on it due to "impartial" circumstances, then no judge who attends any kind of church, and/or disapproves of gay marriage, and/or a myriad other personal configurations should be allowed to rule on this.

I'm so sick of hearing about religious pussies getting all tight assed over same sex couples wanting to get married. Guess who else hates gays, America? Iran. You don't want to be like Iran do you, America? No? I didn't think so. Now bend over and take it like a man. No one died and made you king on what defines marriage. Words and symbols have different meanings to different peoples with different cultures. Stop being ignorant and learn to love and accept thy neighbor.

TVTyrant
December 21st, 2011, 06:04 PM
Nothing's better than a good hentai fapreach around.