PDA

View Full Version : Galgatha [WIP]

SMASH
May 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Yea, so this is my new city map that I'm working on. Alpha City was lost in formatting my HD so don't piss at me about that. Anyways, I've moved past my past symmetrical modeling into a new era of modeling for me. Here's some of my progress:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7905/renderot2.png

It's going to be a larger sized city that will have awe inspiring skyscrapers and buildings. I'll keep you posted.

BobtheGreatII
May 13th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Nice start.

Zemious
May 13th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Pretty sweet looking.

SMASH
May 13th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Yea, thanks guys, I've been working hard and blasting teh music.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9098/rendersg2.png

I added a public park and a new skyscraper.

Xegrot
May 13th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Those buildings need more... uhhh...

Windows. :?

Anyway, I think it's looking pretty good.

SMASH
May 13th, 2007, 01:18 AM
You don't model windows, that would be a waste of polies for such huge buildings. They are going to be textured on.

If the poly count is relatively low, I'm going to release for H2V and HCE.

Xegrot
May 13th, 2007, 01:20 AM
You don't model windows, that would be a waste of polies for such huge buildings. They are going to be textured on.

Yeah, I know. I was being a :downs: .

Still looks good, regardless.

mR_r0b0to
May 13th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Looks good. I don't like the name though.

SMASH
May 13th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Because of it's religious implications? Or just cause it doesn't fit?

Con
May 13th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Sorry to ruin your thunda', but whenever you make a city map, it has to make sense. This map doesn't make a lot of sense so far. Here are some key things to remember:

Building styling should be similar; New York doesn't look like Vancouver. Don't make your buildings a mix of different styles.
Mentally walk around in your map, does it look like something you'd see downtown?
Do your infrastructures make sense? Roads and even sidewalks should be like a real city. Where are people going and how do they get there.
Balance out your walking and driving paths.
Courtyards and open areas with elevation changes make for some nice looking city maps.
Buildings should have a purpose. Nobody builds a skyscraper for looking at. For example, that beam-emitter-like tower you have there puzzles me, it looks like an aweful waste of space. If I were building it, I would want all the office space I could get, if that's its purpose. Also, incorperate not only the building's idea but it's function into the area around it.
These are just a few things. When you're doing any map, it's important to sit down and draw it out on paper to get the gameplay figured out. For city maps, this is even more important. You need to pretend you're the mayor and you're designing a city that meets everyone's needs. Turf and District are perfect examples. They tried in the purposes of the area with the styling and the gameplay to make cool maps.

SMASH
May 13th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Yea, conscars, I've been trying to do the walking thing... but the buildings are different because this is how it could be in the future. Different architects with different styles.

k4is3rxkh40s
May 13th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Yea, so this is my new city map that I'm working on. Alpha City was lost in formatting my HD so don't piss at me about that. Anyways, I've moved past my past symmetrical modeling into a new era of modeling for me. Here's some of my progress:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7905/renderot2.png

It's going to be a larger sized city that will have awe inspiring skyscrapers and buildings. I'll keep you posted.

What can a few people wide building possibly serve as? :confused:

Zeph
May 13th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I have to disagree Conscars. Now, buildings are starting to be constructed however their designers well please. With current engineering techniques, architects aren't limited by technology and materials anymore, so it makes great sense you'd see a wide variety of building types in future cities.

mR_r0b0to
May 13th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Galgatha has a religious thing with it? I didn't even know that.
IDK, Galgatha sounds like a warrior woman with two heads and three vaginas.

DarkLord
May 13th, 2007, 12:14 PM
It looks Pretty good, just. Although the name is odd,.

-£§- §age
May 13th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Galgatha has a religious thing with it? I didn't even know that.
IDK, Galgatha sounds like a warrior woman with two heads and three vaginas.

LMFAO.
No, Galgatha was where they took Christ to crucify him.
But, I don't want to start a religion flame war, so...

Nice map.
I'd walk around in it just to look at all the shininess. @_@

LlamaMaster
May 13th, 2007, 05:24 PM
It's looks ok, but nothing all that exciting. Change the name too...

DaaxGhost
May 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Why should he change the name, it's a good name its unique.
I think really it needs like another structure beside the other two. And maybe some walls, Unless your thinking of making more to add on.

Con
May 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I have to disagree Conscars. Now, buildings are starting to be constructed however their designers well please. With current engineering techniques, architects aren't limited by technology and materials anymore, so it makes great sense you'd see a wide variety of building types in future cities.
What I mean is that (IMO) maps with mixed styles look like crap. Maybe some skyscrapers look different, but not every building on the block. Sorry SMASH, but it's been like this for how long? The Vikings didn't build cedar long houses, they built what suited their needs and resources. Whenever or wherever you look, areas have a distinct style. If you want to make a big peice of art skyscraper, then it should serve some purpose and remain functional. So far, you've got industrial, commercial, a closed in park, and even a giant fin building in there. I don't know what's going on. They just don't look good together, and I think that's what keeps architects from designing wacked-out buildings like that fin.

SMASH
May 13th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Why should he change the name, it's a good name its unique.
I think really it needs like another structure beside the other two. And maybe some walls, Unless your thinking of making more to add on.

It's a WIP, there's no way I'd leave it like this.

DaaxGhost
May 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
lol just saying that when your done, of course show some pcis just make sure and add walls cuase whitout them it would look like a plane with buildings. But Keep it up.

Btd69
May 13th, 2007, 10:32 PM
lol just saying that when your done, of course show some pcis just make sure and add walls cuase whitout them it would look like a plane with buildings. But Keep it up.
Buildings without walls? No wai!

samnwck
May 13th, 2007, 10:46 PM
See this is what happens with you smash you have that one thing you put a lot of time and effort in it(the first building posted) but then you stop. All the rest besides that 1 building look well...just wrong, put in more time and effort into the other buildings. Good start now make a good finish.

SMASH
May 13th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Silly Sam, tricks are for kids.

Anyways, not every building can be as poly consuming as the first one. It's like the centerpiece of the level, that everyone can goggle at.

DaaxGhost
May 14th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Buildings without walls? No wai!
Do you know what I meant when i said buildings without walls, I meant around the actual map so it doesn't look like a plane with buildings and some other structures on it.

LinkandKvel
May 15th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Do you know what I meant when i said buildings without walls, I meant around the actual map so it doesn't look like a plane with buildings and some other structures on it.
He's building from the inside out. He's working from the center to the edge if i'm not mistaken..right smash?

Btd69
May 15th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I think you need one of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Btd69/srcsmdtctr.jpg

DaaxGhost
May 15th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Wtf?

DaaxGhost
May 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Oh, well i gues yea I should use one.